[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anybody else think it's cute to see kids on /g/ arguing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2
File: bsd-daemon.jpg (171 KB, 600x710) Image search: [Google]
bsd-daemon.jpg
171 KB, 600x710
Anybody else think it's cute to see kids on /g/ arguing about Debian vs Arch vs Gentoo when none of them have even bothered to run an *actual* Unix OS?

It's so bizarre to see people who ostensibly grasp the concept of KISS design loudly declaring their allegiance to it yet using software (systemd, ALSA, the list goes on) that spits in its face.
>>
>actual UNIX os

He's clearly talking about OS X
>>
>>53603019
OS X is good too.

I'm part of the "anything but Windows or Linux" club.
>>
>>53603029
>anything but Windows or Linux

Yeah I'd rather a proper unix too, but lets not get stupid, if the choice is windows or linux, linux wins every time.
>>
>>53603047
Well duh.

But if the choice is Windows or Linux or OS X, I will gladly choose OS X. It has more in common under the hood with BSD than Linux does.
>>
>>53603076
Except there's no access to the "under the hood". Linux is superior to OSX simply due to the modularity. Proper open source BSDs shares this attribute, from what I hear though.
>>
>>53603076
>It has more in common under the hood with BSD than Linux does.

Well duh.
>>
>>53603108
>Except there's no access to the "under the hood"
Except that's wrong. You've clearly never used it.
>>
>falling for the unix meme

unless you are an old fart, just go kys
>>
>>53603108
OS X != iOS
>>
>>53603133
I wrote a music program the other day by writing data directly to a /dev file

Try doing that with your systemd, pulseaudio, GNU abortion
>>
>>53603127
I've used OSX plenty. Can you change the init? Can you change DEs or window managers? What about the system can you really change?
>>
>>53603157
>Can you change the init?
Yes.

>Can you change DEs or window managers?
Yes.
>>
>>53603157
>Can you change the init?
No
>Can you change DEs or window managers?
Yes
>>
>>53603029
Too bad HFS and HFS+ are absolute trash.

Why hasn't apple moved to ZFS or any other FS?
>>
>>53603029
>I'm part of the "anything but Windows or Linux" club.

OS hipster BSD users in a nutshell.
People don't use BSD because it's always so far behind everything else in functionality.
You can go on and on about KISS and elegance all day but if what you produce is a massive pain in the ass nobody is going to use it.
>>
>>53603486
>Why hasn't apple moved to ZFS
That was the plan with Mac OS X 10.5, then Oracle bought Sun and Apple dropped the idea.
>>
>>53603486
HFS is literally the only critical flaw of Apple's
I don't know either

>>53603500
Incorrect.
People who want to play *~gamez~* on Steam (aka 90% of /g/) don't use BSD because Linux is more than willing to cater to their 13 yo sensibilities, but serious sysadmins swear by it
>>
>>53603507
That doesnt explain anything
>>
>>53602974
Let's see, you have bad which no one will use because they are busy reinventing the wheel trying to use their "better license" like clang which years of development has lead it to be slower to the same as gcc.
It is virtually the same as linux except it doesn't have drivers or application support and support for third party software is already small. So you are using a minority os within a minority os.

Then you have osx which is so locked down that you can't even legally use your own hardware and the only good thing about it is that it DOES have application support, but all the applications are written using proprietary layers like quartz so there is absolutely no benefit upstream to bsd.

So, your choice is either something that no one would ever bother with just so you can measure you epenis by saying "muh true Unix" or something so locked down that you have to use apple(tm) approved hardware
>>
>>53603523
How doesn't it?
>Apple was going to use Sun's FS
>then the utter shit that is Oracle buys Sun
>Apple drops the idea to avoid lawsuits
Oracle is cancer
>>
>>53602974
Gee, No one uses UNIX.

IT.IS.NOT.FREE.TO.USE.

I have used it as my Uni but being this retard to say no one knows nothing just because they have not used a paid Unix system.

Even freebsd has driver lacking features.
>>
>>53603520
>games are for le children xD
>jerking off to anime is for adults
>>
>>53603547
ZFS is opensource, as long as you follow the licence you can't be sued.
>>
>>53603543
^ fuck the truth hurts! this guy gets it
btw, what do you think about linux and windows?
>>
>FreeBSD
enjoy your bootloader getting overwritten without any warning
>OpenBSD
enjoy the slowest fs ever and literally no hardware support for anything less than 10 years old
>>
>>53603576
Well regardless Apple dropped it because Oracle bought Sun
>>
>>53603607
bunch of fags, preferring to cripple their OS than telling oracle to fuckoff
>>
>>53603567
I play games.

I am 22.

I also work full time in many construction branches.

>le children meme.
I too wish I could a fully developed boring, and cunt busting dickhead like you.

What do you do when you are unemployed? Come on here and waste time pretending to matter
>>
Use what you want, like anyone else give a crap about that. As long as it achieves your goals and you're happy with it. Be it Windows, Linux or Unix based systems, doesn't really matter.
What does matter, is that some people think there's some kind of "best system" and it's what they use, and therefor they are better then everyone else.
>>
>>53603653
^ this ftw
i sometimes wonder why people defend their systems/software and praise them like their gods.
>the makers of that OS/software/...etc doesnt give a single shit about you, but revenue.
>your boss doesnt give a single shit what you are using, as long as you get the job done, then only, you matter.
>no body gives a shit about your tools, only your finished product.
>>
>>53603580
windows is garbage but it runs everyone's stuff on a variety of computers in every variation to fit everyone's needs. I don't like it but I use it.
Linux isn't prefect but it makes compromises and that's not a bad thing (like monolithic kernels are not ideal but they work, Unix-like is not ideal but it works. Stallman used c over lisp even though lisp would have been more ideal but more people know c, proprietary software isn't ideal, but it's allowed, etc)
It settles in niche and it's good for those niches (developers, servers, phones, whatever)
In a world of coke(pc) and pepsi(osx) linux is the Dr. Pepper snapple group (linux which is developed by canonical, red hat, ibm, oracle, whatever) and will probably stay that way unless something insane happens.
>>
two words: cuck license
>>
>>53603543

>Then you have osx which is so locked down that you can't even legally

Not true.
Apple terms of use say you can't, therefore they won't offer any warranty/support.

Apple terms do not override federal law.
>>
>>53603582
>pleb can't write his own drivers
truly a GNU/kiddie, or as I've taken to calling them: GNU plus kiddie
>>
>>53603906
>violating global rule #2
>>
>>53604108
>told
>mad as fuck
>>
>>53604275
Confirmed twelve year old
>>
File: 1442382694881.jpg (26 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1442382694881.jpg
26 KB, 480x360
>>53604047
>truly a GNU/kiddie, or as I've taken to calling them: GNU plus kiddie
>>
>>53604047
>pleb can't write his own OS
truly a BSDtard or as I've taken to calling them: BSD plus retard
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.