[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
pci-e to m.2
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6
Bruhs, I'm really really thinking about going for one of these pci-e to m.2 adapter setups. That speed is just so incredible. I could open muh gaymes in less than two seconds. I could boot in 1 second.

Am I about to fall for a meme?
>>
>>53601307
Install gentoo on it
>>
>>53602269
>make it into useless brick
>>
>>53601307
Boot and gayme loading speed is mostly bottlenecked by the CPU regardless of what your SSD is (unless it's a total piece of crap). You aren't likely to feel difference compared to a good SATA SSD.
>>
>>53602269
does gentoo even support NVMe yet?
>>
>>53602625
Don't know about Gentoo, but Linux supports it since March 19, 2012
>>
>>53602613
>loading files from an SSD/HHD is bottlenecked by the CPU not by the slowest thing in your machine

neo-/g/
>>
>>53601307
>I could open muh gaymes in less than two seconds. I could boot in 1 second.
How often do you boot? I might once a week.
How often do you launch a game? Compare the time saved to the time spent in-game.
Or is it e-peenor status?
>>
>>53603761
The CPU is now the slowest thing in your machine.
You can throw all the data you want at it but it still has to process.
>>
>>53603761
>loading files from an SSD/HHD is bottlenecked by the CPU

You're almost never just loading files without processing them.

Loading OS and games from a SSD (not a HDD) is indeed mostly bottlenecked by CPU, and maybe other peripherals.
>>
>>53603985
Jesus fucking christ you probably give people advice here, too.

No wonder /g/ is shit.

You need insulated gold plated HDMI cables too your signal doesn't lag, since the CPU is a bottleneck on loadtimes because of how slow they are, why the fuck not?
>>
>>53603985
Especially when you consider the amount of compressed content in games.

Some games that don't use compression heavily will see greater loading time increases as they don't wait on the CPU to decompress than others.
>>
>>53601307
brah next time post on sqt or I'm gonna make you a new one
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-21-05-59-05.png (381 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-21-05-59-05.png
381 KB, 1440x2560
OP my 950 Pro arrives today.
I'll text you later if it's awesome
>>
>>53603985
Reminder that ASICs are a thing. And at the top end (i7/ Xeon) the CPU is rarely the bottleneck.
>>
>>53603927
>The CPU is now the slowest thing in your machine.
>>53603985
>SSD is indeed mostly bottlenecked by CPU

God/Gods if you exist let these people be trolls
>>
SSDs have built-in file processing you tarts....
>>
Jesus fuck /g/ is dead

CPU performance has a direct impact on disk IO performance. This shit is like networking 101. What the fuck?
>>
>>53604172
go home troll, you're drunk
>>
>have 32gb of RAM
>use 24gb as a ramdisk
>move game folder to ramdisk and symlink folder to its initial location
RAM is much faster than even the best SSD
>but when you restart you lose the ramdisk contents!
Use Asus ROG ramdisk, saves to disk and automatically reloads on restart, downside is that will use space on your SSD or HDD
>>
>>53604242
If your CPU is so slow as to botleneck I/O from peripherals or a SSD it's time for an upgrade.
>>
>>53606056
literally pointless and retarded
>>
>>53606056
fuck that proprietary bullshit, use softperfect RAMdisk.
>>
File: speccy.png (37 KB, 660x527) Image search: [Google]
speccy.png
37 KB, 660x527
I have the SM951 M.2 x4 nvme.
I highly recommend either this or the 950 pro if you are building a new system.
>>
>>53604089
how can I use asics for skyrim?
>>
>>53604045
Compare the load time of your games with a ramdisk and a run-of-the-mill 500MB/s SSD. You'd be surprised at how little difference there is.
>>
Booting from PCI-e is impossible on anything but select few hardware, and there's no speed boost over SATA or m.2.

People call SSDs a meme, but PCI-e ssds really are a meme (except for server applications)
>>
>>53606056
>moving a game to RAMDisk
What's the point
Games already do this for you

It's called

>>
>>53603761
The difference in transfer times between NVMe/PCIEe/m.2 and AHCI/SATA is under 2 seconds per gigabyte.

The bulk of boot times is waiting for device controllers to initialize and for host software to load and process initialization routines.
>>
File: 950_pro_throttling.png (59 KB, 689x920) Image search: [Google]
950_pro_throttling.png
59 KB, 689x920
>>53604069
remember that OP may be right about using PCIe adapters, if only because they can keep the 950 from thermal throttling as much, provided they have head spreaders/fins.
>>
File: d1.jpg (66 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
d1.jpg
66 KB, 640x960
Can anyone explain why my M.2 drive loads windows faster than Civ 5?
>>
>>53610577
But now he's ULTRA LOADING
>>
>>53610861
because MS is less shit at optimization than pretty much any game dev?

also, Civ game pre-load a SHIT ton of art assets on startup.
>>
>>53611265
>MS is less shit at optimization
Never thought I would hear that uttered.
>>
>>53611602
MS has historically had very good optimization, it's just that they roll 50/50 at best on API design since they were always in a rush to prevent java/webbrowsers/whatever from becoming the new platform.

Most of the issues they've had in the NT era are from shitty kernel-mode drivers from vendors and from having to support shitty old APIs for decades rather than dropping them like Apple forces its developers to do regularly.
>>
My laptop boots up in 6-7 seconds on a 5200rpm hdd. My desktop boots up in 4 seconds after the mobo splashscreen (or whatever it's called) on a 850 evo. Boot speed isn't all about ssd/hdd, it's more about the boot process itself. My desktop doesn't have much startup bloat, the laptop a little more. Even putting 4 nvme ssds in raid 0 won't get you a 1 second boot.
>>
>>53612007
And what are your numbers from pressing the power button. Splash screen isn't accurate enough. I did no optimization and my M.2 boots up windows in 10 seconds pressing the power button.
>>
>>53612054
Wait a second I'm going to time it.
>>
>>53612054
>>53612088
Came out at 16 seconds, it takes 10 seconds for the muh msi pro series screen to go away.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.