[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
eBook DRM
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: kindle-drm-removal[1].jpg (31 KB, 300x411) Image search: [Google]
kindle-drm-removal[1].jpg
31 KB, 300x411
OK lads, I need to buy an eBook, and I don't know where to get it from. Amazon is out straight away, because I know I should at least aim for the .epub format. And B&N doesn't have this book. So it's down to Google Play Books vs Kobo.

I don't have an eReader atm, so on my laptop I plan to use SumatraPDF, or Calibre. If an open source program doesn't work, I guess I'll use Adobe Digital Editions. I will most likely print it out though.
I might also want to open it on my phone later too. Using FBReader, or whatever works.

So, is there any difference is the DRM between Google and Kobo? Is one more restrictive than the other?
>>
Kill yourself, my man ;)
>>
>>53598960
Kobo offers DRM-free when the publisher allows it. Good luck finding that info out ahead of time though as it's not clearly listed anywhere.
>>
>>53599153
This particular one definitely has it.
>Download options:EPUB 2 (Adobe DRM)

Google doesn't give any details though, only says:
>Content protection: This content is DRM protected.

So I just need to know if one is more restrictive than the other.
>>
Just use #bookz on the undernet IRC for free books.
>>
>>53599223
What if they want to support authors and publishers so they produce more books that they like?

>>53599210
Just google "remove ____ DRM" and see what you get.
>>
Torrent it or buy from the cheapest and deDRM it.
>>
>>53598960
>little arrow beside OP's pic
>"image search > google"
>literally 1000 tutorials on how to remove DRM from ebooks bought on Amazon
bruh
>>
>>53599223
It's cheap and I want to support the authors.
I just want to know which store to go with now and for the future (I'm an autist like most on 4chan and so will want all my eBooks from one service. Can't handle disarray, kek.)

>>53599244
>>53599307
Hacks and shit can come later if need be. I just want to know which is the least restrictive to start with. That's where I want to take my business.
>>
OP here
In the end I went with lulu.com. A little more expensive but apparently no DRM. Feels good man.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.