[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What should Mozilla do to win back its market share?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 4
File: 200.jpg (12 KB, 275x282) Image search: [Google]
200.jpg
12 KB, 275x282
What should Mozilla do to win back its market share?
>>
rebase Firefox on chromium, so that it might actually have a shot at performing as well as Chrome
>>
Add more social media stuff
>>
>>53586794
The market grew it still has the same number of users.
>>
Packages (1) firefox-45.0.1-1

Total Download Size: 41.14 MiB
Total Installed Size: 91.69 MiB
Net Upgrade Size: 0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n]

Is it safe, what did they fuck up this release?
>>
>>53586806
>>53586812
holy shit /g/ whats wrong with you
>>
>>53586806
Joking around aside, there's Servo in the pipeline.

>>53586830
Panorama (tab groups) removed. Make sure you install the extension before upgrading if you use the feature.
>>
Have a big meet-up with all travel paid for and make a deal about having social justice topic talks there, have the talks and gas everyone in the rooms.

Cancer is now mostly removed, firefox can go back to caring about code, quality and freedom rather then throwing money at blue haired retards to fight for gay/womens rights.
>>
>>53586842
>Panorama (tab groups) removed. Make sure you install the extension before upgrading if you use the feature.

That was 44, already got the extension for that, wasn't 45 addon-signing being forced or something?
>>
>>53586835
i seriously can't comprehend how absolutely retarded you have to be to take those posts seriously. like, they're obviously bait, so obvious that a fucking fish wouldn't bite it, but somehow they managed to hook you instead. congrats, you're dumber than a fish. jesus fucking christ
>>
>>53586852
I don't remember which version but it'll still be possible to use unsigned addon in Firefox Developer/Nightly.
>>
>>53586852
Huh, I thought for sure it was 45. They started giving the message in 43, are you sure that's not tripping you up here?

Forced signing has been pushed up to 46.
>>
>>53586865

My bad it was 45.
>>
bring tab groups back - it's about:config settings are still there,

remove hello and pocket and don't reenable them after an update

sponsor heterosexual groups and movements encouraging marriage and patriarchy

fire sjw and feminists

don't become chromezilla by locking it down and removing working features
>>
make it not freeze for 30 seconds trying to load the 4chan catalog or any image-gallery-like page
>>
>>53586881
or go fuck yourselves
>>
>>53586886
This is why you have 16 GB RAM you stupid fuck.
>>
>>53586905
I do have 16 GB RAM though.
>>
>>53586886
I believe there's some add-on buggery or other going on with that. I experience the same thing you do on my desktop (i5-2500K, 8GB RAM at 1600MHz, new speedy SSD) but on my laptop (Core2Duo, 4 GB RAM at 1066MHz, SSD limited by SATA2) the catalog loads fine like anything else.

My Firefox profile on desktop is the same one I've had since 3.0 or 3.5 and has a decent amount of add-ons. Laptop profile is just a few months old, with fewer and different add-ons. Both machines running Fedora 23.
>>
>>53586962
Why not copy the profile, create new one and check?
>>
>>53586975
Just haven't bothered. Firefox supports multiple profiles and I do have another one I created for a different reason, so there's really nothing stopping me. Since we're on the topic, though, maybe I'll check it out, assuming I can start a new Firefox session on the other profile without closing my current one (don't want to reload my tabs).
>>
Put their effort to web experiment instead of crappy OS, like Servo. Servo might still not ready for daily use but some benchmark results really impressive
>>
Hurry up with e10s
Reduce the heavy ass XUL interface and get rid of CSS theming. Fuck the ricers.
Kill webextensions
>>
>>53587065
Mozilla pls go
>>
>>53587075
Go back to your desktop threads fucking inbred
>>
>>53586855
im here sitting behind my 6 layers of irony and laughing at your stupidity
>>
>>53586886
45 here
never heard of it
and I didn't even fall for the 16gb ram meme

works like a charm

firefox could use some actual multithreading and be a bit more lightweight though

>>53587147
>damage control level: cannot compute
>>
>>53587169
yay i got my (You)
>>
>>53586975
>>53587023
Yep, as expected, the clean profile loads the catalogue without breaking a sweat. Opened it on my normal profile as well to give a more accurate comparison.

On the old profile, the entire interface stutters while the page is loading and it's a right mess overall. It lags more than Windows XP running with its generic video driver. New profile can smoothly scroll through the page while it's still loading and there's no stutter or any such thing whatsoever.

Paging >>53586886 as well.
>>
>>53587182
yay, me too :^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^)
>>
>>53586962
I'm pretty sure it's the GPU acceleration. Firefox always gives me shit with dual GPUs. I have an i3 thin client that handles those pages no problem but my i7 / 860M laptop hangs like a motherfucker.
>>
>>53587221
same profile btw, synced between both devices. Nightly handles it slightly better. But not well.
>>
>>53587221
See >>53587190. Seems your speculation is off the mark, unless I have turned GPU acceleration off somehow in the old profile. But I've no issues with video playback or such, so seems unlikely. I'll double-check anyway.
>>
>>53586881
I can understand them removing tab groups if nobody used it but it's their own fault that nobody used it, it's nearly hidden. If they bring it back they'd need to go heavy on the CLICK HERE MOFO instead of hiding it under a menu or under customization.

Hello and Pocket need to die.

I'll be sad when they're ditch XUL. If the UI loses it's customizability (and not just themes, I mean changing the layout and style) or I'm out.
>>
They can't win back their marketshare.
>>
>>53587256
OK, I'll try on a new profile and see how it goes
>>
stop being a faggot that thinks it knows my needs better than i do
stop dropping support for features i use
stop dropping legacy support for OSes, while old, everyone still uses

> derp guise users don't use that
> everyone uses it
>>
>>53587271
Hello is actually really useful and it's nice to see Mozilla actually show its users that it exists. Not having a smooth way of showing users the feature was the downfall of Panorama and ultimately the reason so few people used it. Someone might tell me that they should just have clued people in on it instead of removing it, and I'd agree, but oh well.

Pocket is a bit more iffy, I agree, but at least it's not very intrusive. Just like Hello, it's easily removed out of one's sight and given the nature of its implementation, it's not really wasting any resources or disk space.
>>
>>53587289
Report back on your findings. Hardware acceleration setting was untouched on my end.
>>
>>53586962
>>53586886
Https Everywhere with SSL Observatory enabled? I bet it's that.
If it is, turn off SSL observatory.
>>
>>53587377
Panorama needed more options. It was implemented in a way that either fit you 100% or not at all.
>>
File: firefox.gif (77 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
firefox.gif
77 KB, 700x700
And let's dispel once and for all with this fiction that Mozilla doesn't know what they are doing; they know exactly what they doing! Mozilla is undertaking a systematic effort to change this browser, to make it more like the rest of the browsers! That's why they added aerodynamic tabs, and webextensions, and australis, and removed tab groups! It is a systematic effort to change Firefox. When I'm CEO of Mozilla, we are going to re-embrace all of the things that made Firefox the greatest browser in the world, and we are going to leave our children what they deserve, the single greatest browser in the history of the world!
>>
>>53587473
Very interesting, it would seem you are absolutely correct! I did indeed have HTTPS Everywhere with SSL Observatory enabled on the old desktop profile, and disabling it improved things immensely. Some stutter remained, so there's still something else affecting performance, but that was easily >90% of it.

To further confirm things, I enabled the Observatory on the laptop and oh gods, please, let's not talk about that. That was dreadful, so let's just summarise that it did indeed cement you being on point.

Well played, Anon, I'd bake you a cake if I could.
>>
>>53587576
Oh, and the other Anon deserves a red exclamation mark on the favicon in case they're not actively monitoring the thread on every update: >>53587289

>>53587473
I've searched around to see if it's being talked about have not found a lot of relevant results. One bug report from last October on Github. I'm kind of amazed it's not at least a bit more widely spread, but I suppose most people who install HTTPS Everywhere never touch any settings, and as such are unaffected. If I may ask, how did you come across this knowledge?
>>
>>53587473
damn dude, this was it.
fug

first time I had the issue it was ABP
switched to uBlock, all good

then LastPass
switched to beta, all good

now I gotta disable HTTPS Everywhere

>>53587783
I'm dual GPU dude. Disabling Https Everywhere helped a lot. I just went to a site that normally slows my browser to a CRAWL and opened 10 tabs with no issues.
>>
>>53586794
Make a better browser.
>>
>>53588066
It sucks that you have to lose a lot of performance for security that should be default.
>>
>>53588066
oh hurr durr I just need to disable the observatory. This works but I think removing the whole addon worked better
>>
>>53587576
The only performance problem I've had in Firefox is with animated favicons breaking smooth scroll, but that was fixed in version 45, so update if you haven't already.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1210261

I've had problems with flash and hardware acceleration too, so I uninstalled it. It crashed my retarded AMD Crimson driver one too many times few minutes after it would break smooth scroll (and all other hardware accelerated bits I assume). Not even sure if it's flash, or some combination of it with my addons, but it's a good riddance anyway with all the exploits, even if I did have it on ask to run.

So get rid of flash is my advice. It's time to put it to sleep. Even if you don't have problems, let's push the industry towards better solutions.

>>53587783
>If I may ask, how did you come across this knowledge?
Using Https Everywhere myself. I didn't have SSL Observatory enabled at first. It was obvious what had caused it once I did enable it.
And this is not the first time I see someone here with the same problem, easy guess. Specific symptoms as well.

>>53588066
>now I gotta disable HTTPS Everywhere
You can if you want, but it's just the SSL Observatory bit. I don't have any performance degradation regarding https everywhere in general.
>>
Damn even the little JS pops on the neet.tv catalog are faster with the observatory disabled
>>
File: trumpcrap_zps2vghmtnz[1].jpg (53 KB, 749x500) Image search: [Google]
trumpcrap_zps2vghmtnz[1].jpg
53 KB, 749x500
let's make firefox great again
>>
>>53588066
Good thing we got it worked out! This is the best way I've seen a thread go somewhat off-topic in a long time.

>>53588123
I don't use smooth scrolling and haven't installed Flash since I installed my OS on my new SSD, so there's that. It seems we have already largely succeeded at killing it off, I'm not really missing it for anything.

Ah, I see. I'm guessing the issues with the Observatory weren't as bad when I installed the add-on (and presumably immediately enabled Observatory), or otherwise I was just a dimwit. Very possible. I'm still fascinated I've never heard anything of it before and that the issues on Github haven't gotten much traction.
>>
>>53588325
Do you have a time machine?
Because now that mozilla has been taken over by cucks, going back in time seems like to only way to make anything mozilla great again.
>>
>>53586794
Fire everyone.
>>
>>53588368
>issues with the Observatory weren't as bad when I installed the add-on
Possible. I tried it out for the first time somewhere at the end of last year.

Perhaps most people using it don't go to websites where they would have noticed the problem, because it's not a problem with all websites as far as I remember. Or not many people use Observatory. And then others like me have done nothing to raise the issue except for posting on anonymous image boards.
>>
>>53586794
Stop being Chrome.
>>
>>53586794
use Servo instead of Gecko
>>
>>53588581
>Perhaps most people using it don't go to websites where they would have noticed the problem
This is likely a big part of it. I can't remember anything specific having been really painful to load other than the 4chan catalogue.

And yeah, it's unlikely I will contribute to the problem's resolution as well, so it's not like I can criticise anyone either.
>>
>>53587473
holy mother of fuck anon, this actually worked
>>
File: duokeks.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
duokeks.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
>>53586812
Well played good sir.
>>
>>53588645
Amazon seems less shitty now. The site still chugs but with the observatory disabled it's not affecting my other tabs
>>
>>53586794
Mozilla needs to push e10s to stable faster, then focus purely on security updates while pushing for the Rust language development to be finished faster, and force most of their employees to learn Rust.

Then shift focus heavily onto developing Servo. Keep a separate Servo Nightly like we had a separate Australis Nightly back before v29. Once Servo is stable and has a large compatible addon-base, rip XUL and Gecko out from under the world's feet and force feed everyone Servo.

Then focus on keeping Servo compatible with the latest web technologies, and keep it versatile for power users. Some consideration will need to take place to mimic XUL-like customization.
>>
Start a Fundraiser to buy Google
>>
>>53589729
>mfw Google donates to their fundraiser
>>
>>53586830
works just fine
>>
Make it more normie friendly by removing Yahoo as the default search for one thing
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.