[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
without any tweaking or installing software, which OS comes best
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: maxresdefault.jpg (83 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
83 KB, 1280x720
without any tweaking or installing software, which OS comes best out-of-the-box?

>personally i think windows 10 wins
>>
So what tweaks do you usually do on Ubuntu that you can skip on Windows?
>>
Ubuntu has better software installed out of the box, while osx and win10 are more polished.

I'd personally go with Ubuntu because you can't do any work on a clean windows or osx install.
>>
>>53585114
OpenBSD with i3
>>
I'd say Ubuntu but OS X with homebrew beats the shit out of it hands down.
>>
>>53585114
Out of the box? Probably OS X if you're new to computer's at the first place already.

Also most probably anyone who ever used a computer will be able to start IE in Windows and download Firefox.

Ubuntu would be harder to get working as wanted. But out of the box Facebook machine? Why not.
>>
OS X
>>
>>53585114
kali
>>
>>53585317
>with Homebrew
>>
>>53585114
I have no experience with OS X, but I can compare Windows 10 and Ubuntu having recently installed the “out of the box“ versions of both on a new computer.

Windows 10 out of the box experience: Full of spyware, you have to go through shittons of settings to disable all the bullshit. Some if it you can't even disable. Start menu was crashing pretty much out of the box, it came with nothing by default. I *STILL* had to install drivers for my on-board Ethernet from the driver CD. First steps were uninstalling all of the garbage (Edge etc.) and installing the programs I normally use. It still does not have a usable general-purpose package manager, so I had to go through all of the project-specific websites in order to do so. Automatic integration between the programs and the OS was poor at best. OS updates were forced on me without my consent, pretty much.

Ubuntu out of the box experience: Still some spyware (lel amazon) but there was only a single checkbox I had to disable to remove all of it. All of my hardware (even the printers!) worked out of the box just by plugging it in, which I was quite impressed by considering the history of printer companies and Linux support. All of the programs I'd expect there to be by default were there by default (Browser, Mail, Office etc.) so I didn't even need to set up anything additional to be able to use it in that exact state, aside from copying over my settings. Installing new programs is a breeze thanks to the software manager, and I can also automate it or mass-install programs with all of the manual effort. I was specifically asked how I wish to receive my OS updates, including allowing me to decide when to install them / restart my system.

All in all the Ubuntu OOB experience has been nicer and more newbie-friendly than the Windows 10 OOB, and the person I bought the PC for has been regularly telling me about how much she loves Ubuntu compared to Windows, despite no prior Linux experience.
>>
>>53585114
ubuntu because it has firefox
if safari wasnt so shit I'd say homosex because that's what I prefer to actually use
>>
without software buntu
with software windows and osx depends on what you're going to do
>>
File: 1415471682004.jpg (16 KB, 360x240) Image search: [Google]
1415471682004.jpg
16 KB, 360x240
Depends entirely on the scenario.

Need drivers? Windows built-in drivers are shockingly bad.
I can't say anything for OSX though.
>>
>>53585114
>100 rupes deposited into your account pajeet. Thankyou for promoting windows 10™
>>
Ubuntu has more and better software out of the box.
Thats not even debateable.
>>
>>53585314
Kek
>>
>>53585229
Unity tweak (getting rid of online searching by default), and removal of amazon.
>>
>>53586243
Windows literally has three different tweak menus the first time you log in for data logging, auto filling and network sharing settings. You tellin' me you use edge? Literal 12gb for a single tab of Google? Or has that issue been fixed yet? You telling me you don't install chrome, Firefox, winrar or any other tool that replaces windows features? CD mounting daemons for ISO?
>>
>>53585114
Out of the box as in "without any 3rd party software at all"?

Either Ubuntu or OS X, they're comparable.
I'm going to say Ubuntu because it supports helluvalot more hardware configurations.

OS X works "out of the box" only on apple hardware, hackintoshes aren't exactly "install and play" experience.

3rd party applications make Windows shine over both of them, but out of the box, pure windows installation is almost unusable garbage.
>>
>>53585114
>gives opinion without any explanation of argumentative points to back up aforementioned opinion.

Did you go anywhere beyond 8th grade?
>>
>>53587466
>3rd party applications make Windows shine over both of them
3rd party applications are either cross-platform, in which case this is a nonsensical conclusion as you can get the same experience on Ubuntu, or they're vendor-locked proprietary pieces of shit - in which case they're generally pretty fucking terrible.
>>
>>53585114
OS X.

Comes with everything pre-installed. You don't need to do diddly dick with anything. I believe the only program it lacks compared to GNU/Linux and Windows is a image manipulation program, Windows has paint, GNU/Linux can come with GIMP, though I'm not sure what Ubuntu ships with.

As for the second place, I guess that has to go to Windows, because all GNU/Linux distros regardless if it is Arch or Ubuntu needs some sort of tweaking to make it usable at all. Try to install Ubuntu - Black screen because nouveau sucks dicks and so does X11, thus you need to do tweaking from the get-go.
>>
Ubuntu comes with more useful software out of the box by far.
>>
>preferring nonfree-buntu
>not using Debian or Fedora
>>
>>53587626
>without any tweaking or installing software, which OS comes best out-of-the-box?
>without any tweaking
Why the fuck do you think? You need to jump through fifty hoops in order to install network drivers on Debian because you can't even have wireless drivers out of the box due to "drivers doesn't respect muh freedumbs".
>>
>>53587626
>do i fit in yet /g/?
>>
>>53587683
>Ubuntu
>ethernet, wireless and printer drivers installed out of the box

>Windows 10
>needed to use a driver CD for my wired ethernet device to work, needed to download printer drivers from the manufacturer's website

Keep spreading lies, shill.
>>
Honestly, Ubuntu.

Installng a couple apps I need for dev, setting up Samba share with Windows host and I'm good to go.

Using Ubuntu VM for webdev environment.

As the host OS, for graphics (Adobe CC) and gayman I use NSAsoft Windows 10 with shitload of third-party software and tweaks to make it usable.

Gnome & Unity have reached the point where they have better UX (just werks) out of the box than Windows.
>>
>>53587729
He didn't shill for Windows doe.

Stop being so insecure.

Debian is not an "out of the box" distro because a lot of hardware configurations require binary blob drivers which are not included in the installation.

Ubuntu works.
Fedora works as well.
Debian doesn't because it was designed to not work.
>>
>>53585114
Antergos
>>
Ubuntu or os x. Windows is cancer the first time
>>
>>53585114
OSX is the only OS that doesn't break when you update it.
>>
>>53585114
>OSX
Works perfectly out of the box, no tweaks required.

>Ubuntu
Works perfectly out of the box, could use some tweaks to improve UI and deleting some of the pre installed bloat.

>Win 10
Enjoy installing 3rd party software to block spying, adjusting 315151 settings and deleting all the pre installed bloat.
>>
>>53585114

Windows 7
>>
>>53585820
i like how you call edge junk but dont say shit about ubuntu coming with firefox
>>
>>53588601
↑↑ panjeet ↑↑
>>
>>53585302
100% this
>>53586243
Haha you are worried about the Amazon search feature in Ubuntu (which can be disabled without installing anything), but you have no problem with Win10? Top delusions m8
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.