[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is some technology that had an extremely short shelf life?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3
File: a95.jpg (29 KB, 500x328) Image search: [Google]
a95.jpg
29 KB, 500x328
What is some technology that had an extremely short shelf life?
>>
>>53582611
the condom your dad wore
>>
>>53582611
Netbooks. I miss those things, and I have an undying hatred of the tablets that superseded them
>>
>>53583100
This and UMPCs
>>
>>53582627
this makes no sense but,

kek.
>>
>>53583100
I really, really wish a good brand will start making decent netbooks. They're really much more useful than tablets and much more easier to use/portable than tablets.
>>
>>53583100
Netbooks were complete shit at first. They still are if you're trying to run Windows with 2gb ram and a celeron
>>
>>53583689
Microsoft made them shit; they had maximum spec requirements for Windows Starter Edition. If your hardware was too good you couldn't ship the cheap Windows version, so essentially nobody made good hardware
>>
>>53583689
yeah but unlike tablets you could rip the bloated default OS off and put Linux on them. I just did that with a friend's old netbook. Some pathetically weak Atom thing. Installed Debian with Xfce, ran fine. If it was my own I might have used i3 or something.
>>
>>53583100
Ideapad 100s.

>>53583689
Windows with an atom and 2gb ram is surprisingly comfy. I have an Asus t100ta and it's serving all my needs as a uni student really well.

Windows 8.1 uses only 500MB on boot on my Asus.

For comparison, Ubuntu uses 600MB on boot when I tried the live install.
>>
>>53583772
>Ideapad 100s
11.6" isn't a netbook
>>
>>53583100
Tablets would be ok if the fucking retards would just put a decent god damn processor and the ability to install your own O/S without jumping through 15000 god damn hoops.
>>
>>53583790
I thought anything less than 12 inch was a netbook?
>>
>>53583811
nah senpai, I still want a.) a keyboard and b.) no touchscreen crap. phones and tablets ain't even good enough for shitposting in my book because of that
>>
>>53583834
Tablets should have usb ports, but even if they used micro you can still attach a keyboard to them, therefore your first problem is invalid. The second point is only true because you don't have as much access to the hardware as you do with desktops, if not a touchscreen is good for when you can't sit down anywhere, much more continent than a keyboard in that respect Kouhai.
>>
>>53583818
I wouldn't think of anything larger than 10.1" as a netbook but maybe it qualifies
>>
>>53583876
Good lord I slaughtered that message, If not shouldn't have been in there, and I meant convenient not continent
>>
>>53583790
False
>>
>>53583958
Oh well, I still think it's too big
>>
>>53583890
Chuwi hi10+ keyboard dock?
>>
>>53584046
I've got a Chuwi Vi10. It's okay besides the fact that the battery fucking dies at 40% for some reason. It's not just me, some other people had the same issue with the H series too.
I'd rather just get a netbook with a large battery life desu
>>
>>53583876
My tablet has a USB port. Acer iconiatab a500.

>>53584077
Fair enough. I've got a transformer t100ta though and I just can't see myself typing comfortably on anything smaller without going significantly slower. Battery life is really nice and I rarely take it out of the dock
>>
>>53584099
I didn't say no tablets had usb ports, I said they should have usb ports.
>>
>>53584046
It's still just a tablet with a keyboard, not a netbook
>>
whatever the fuck those mini CDs are called that the gamecube used
>>
File: a.jpe.jpg (12 KB, 281x300) Image search: [Google]
a.jpe.jpg
12 KB, 281x300
>>53584222
the gamecube used minidvd's, literally just a half-diameter dvd
minidvd's were used for some time after in camcorders

while i haven't checked, i doubt they're still in use, a dual layer minidvd-rw is only 2.8G, and at this point not really any cheaper than a flash card
>>
>>53584180
>fits laptop form Factor
>is 10 inch
>is not a netbook
Wat
>>
Dreamcast GD-ROM disks.

Although the positive benefit was that the DC had no copy protection.
>>
>>53584222
>>53584276
also, if we're on the topic of short lifespan optical discs, try GD-ROM, the format used in the dreamcast
it was basically just CD-ROM with a tighter track pitch, bumping the space up to 1G
the dreamcast itself had a very short life, but before even that it was found that one could make self-booting games on cd-rom's, and most games didn't use all 1G of space, so with little to no content removed, could be run from standard cd's, gd-rom was practically dead on arrival
>>
File: HD-DVD.svg.png (23 KB, 1280x473) Image search: [Google]
HD-DVD.svg.png
23 KB, 1280x473
>>
>>53584296
It is 10", it does close like a laptop, but it is not a netbook. It is a tablet. A tablet with a keyboard.

Besides, I'm rather doubtful OpenBSD would run well if at all
>>
>>53584302
>the DC had no copy protection.
it did, but it was defeated by means of a less-protected extra feature
once self-booting iso's came around it might as well have had no protection, as the difficulty of piracy on the dreamcast dropped to zero, anyone could burn a cd-r and play it on an unmodified console
>>
>>53584390
There's three DC models, two with none and the third had copy protection
>>
So, anons, any recommendations for a netbook with lots of battery life that's good for Linux? The best bet I've seen is the ASUS C201, which has full Libreboot support with easy install (it looks like no external hardware needed), so linux will work. Still, any that are more traditional?
>>
>>53584401
The vulnerability that allowed the copy protection to be subverted was only fixed in the 3rd revision. All DCs have copy protection.
>>
>>53584348
>doesn't close like a laptop
My asus does, not sure about the chuwi
>>
>>53584609
Reread that post
>>
>>53584616
Whoops.

It might be a tablet with a keyboard but it's as close as you're gonna get, Plus the touch screen would make things interesting.
I've been trying out Ubuntu on my transformer, and unity is pretty comfy on a touch screen
>>
>>53584638
I know, it's not good enough though. I'd rather stick to old hardware than halfassed new hardware.
>>
minidisc players.
>>
I always thought UMDs were pretty cool
>tfw Sony never implemented the sliding folppy disk like cover that's in the design spec
>>
women
>>
Gameboy Micro
>>
>>53582611
3D TV

Google Wave

Graffiti input

DivX rentals
>>
>>53583588
Microsoft surface says hi.
With the keyboard is basically a netbook.
>>
>>53587091
still a tablet
>>
>>53583588
HP makes a 200$ netebook that's quite good.
source = I use it to type this.
>>
>>53587091
>DivX rentals
The point of the netbook was the low price.
Goodbye $soft surface.
>>
>>53582611
VR 3 years from now
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.