[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news /the-watch/wp/2016/03/10
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 161
Thread images: 10
File: fbi_logo_twitter.jpg (547 KB, 400x414) Image search: [Google]
fbi_logo_twitter.jpg
547 KB, 400x414
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2016/03/10/surprise-nsa-data-will-soon-routinely-be-used-for-domestic-policing-that-has-nothing-to-do-with-terrorism/

J U S T
U S
S U
T S U J
>>
Goddammit my formatting goofed
>>
>"Surprise" in the headline to grab clicks.

Yeah not gonna take anything in this article seriously.
>>
File: nsa.png (10 KB, 679x427) Image search: [Google]
nsa.png
10 KB, 679x427
>>53580043
>>
Just change your Internet provider. The NSA only has access to data that the company allows them to have (servers, packets, etc). Change your provider to a small company, the NSA generally only spends it's time on the service providers that have tons of data to give them. Verizon, AT&T, Comcast, and Time Warner Cable are all known to surrender their data to the NSA, so avoid them. Avoid visiting servers/websites the NSA has compromised (Amazon, Google, Yahoo, and plenty more). Anyone have any more ISPs and websites?
>>
>>53580250
>just pick a different ISP
>USA, 2016
Valid point about using popular "cloud" services, though
>>
>>53580250
Cox if you are in arizona or las vegas
>>
>>53580043
I'm actually scared if local police departments get access to this shit. First off they already have an IQ limit to be a local law officer as in if your IQ is too high they won't hire you, secondly I'v read stories about these local "cowboys" getting all riled up and swatting people over nothing and without doing any due diligence. Like there was a story where this 90yo black lady in Indiana got swatted because her neighbor had used her open wifi and posted some shit on a message board. Like they busted in no-knock style with machine guns and tear gas and broke this old lady's door and windows and shit. All because these "geniuses" who belong are here to serve and protect are to gung-ho to use their raid gear and weapons to actually do any investigative police work. It would have taken like 10min to see that an old frail lady lives at that home and that she has open wifi connection. There was no need to act like she was a armed and dangerous criminal.

So yeah i'm just picturing these dumb asses intercepting a text from your phone and then raiding you and shooting first and asking questions later. Like what happens when you text to your friend "yo my school is da bomb yo" and some dumbass barney fife mother fucker is using his nsa account to monitor your shit and he misunderstands your niggerslang and they raid your house and kill you because you love your school.
>>
>>53580250
Their taps are put into the tier 1 backbones. it doesnt matter what ISP you use. Any smaller ISP is peering off the big boys and the traffic is flowing through the same tunnels. Everything is logged forever and theres nothing you can do.
>>
>>53580325

Tor + VPN
>>
>>53580325
Traffic doesn't 'flow through the same tunnels' it depends on the network and the tunnel created by the network/IP to the server the packets are being sent.
>>
File: level3_networkmap.jpg (116 KB, 1000x560) Image search: [Google]
level3_networkmap.jpg
116 KB, 1000x560
>>53580377

A packet that gets routed across the US almost certainly goes through 1 of these facilities and gets sucked up.
>>
>>53580348
I wouldn't use tor or a VPN. It will raise suspicion unless you're living in a high-class white neighborhood. Also, the data can be tracked since the IP is just bounced around three IP addresses. Even if you're not doing anything illegal, if there happens to be an error in their methods at the time, you could be the one pinned with the activity someone an IP address behind you was doing. The jury you'd be subjected to also won't know anything about technology most likely, and the judge probably won't, so unless your lawyer asks for a recalc you're in deep shit. Not to even mention the suspicion and public humiliation you'd be coerced into when you get dragged out of your home and searched.

NSA also keeps many logs of encrypted data to decrypt later.
>>
>>53580456
Where did you get this photo? What is the context of this?
>>
>>53580305
>hey already have an IQ limit to be a local law officer as in if your IQ is too high they won't hire you

Oh God you're not lying
http://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-barring-high-iqs-cops/story?id=95836

I'm worried too now
>>
J U S T
U J T S
S T J U
T S U J
>>
>>53580325
Yeah, I suppose you're right, most smaller ISP's are feeding off of the bigger ISP's facilities since the smaller companies don't have the money to build their individual infrastructure. However, there are moderately-sized independent ISP's that don't have others feeding off of them since the biggest providers have the capacity for secondary lines and tunnels.

However, there's also the issue of gaining access to the company's logs, they may be able to see there's traffic happening, but the details aren't logged in the physical metadata since that's logged by a company's individual server. they MAY be able to tap in, but if they did the ISP would detect it immediately and sue the NSA.
>>
>>53580348
wouldn't this just make you stand out more. They already can gather who a user is by how they browse the net and screen resolutions.
Stallman thinks he's super secure but everyone in the NSA probably knows his every move if they where worried about him based on how he uses the net.
>>
>>53580685
>sue the NSA

No. Just no.
>>
>>53580813

Stallman is worried about freedom, not secrecy. He uses Tor like millions of others. Idk how they would pick his data out if he's viewing https websites.
>>
>>53580250
>Avoid visiting servers/websites the NSA has compromised
so long 4chan
>>
>>53580835
Well, at least they would be able to block the NSA's servers spying on their servers.
>>
>>53580862
FBI monitors 4chan? Why? No one here can actually do anything, we're all just college students and script kiddies. Even then how do they differentiate an edgy 19 year old from a hardened criminal with an IP address?
>>
>>53580971
Agent Dunby, is that you?
>>
>>53580868
Not really how it works.

NSA is tied right into the backbone. They can intercept packets and redirect to a spoof website.

One key part to keep in mind, the info that Snowdin released was old. You better believe that shit is outdated now and they have even more and even scarier ways of tracking you/recording you/infecting your device.
>>
>>53580971
Are you kidding? There have been numerous people arrested for posting threats and other shit here. There was even one guy who strangled a chick and posted pictures of her corpse on /b/.
>>
>>53580043
This used to scare me a lot.
I used to be terrified that 1984+BNW was coming
Then I read about:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Limits_to_Growth

And now I'm somewhat pacified. Even if the exact timescale is wrong, so long as resources are limited in roughly the way the study imagines it's impossible for there to be a long-term/permanent nightmare state to exist.
Humanity is most likely condemned to earth, and that is regrettable, but as we expend our limited resources things will decline to the state where energy generation for consumer electronics, etc, is prohibitively expensive and the future 1984-police-state spying as a result of people voluntarily uploading all of their data to companies simply isn't viable anymore.

Never thought I'd welcome the idea of a decline in living standards back to 1900, but it's preferable to an inescapable cyberpunk dystopia (minus the cool rebels).

One nightmare scenario consumes the other and destroys it.
>>
>>53581050
Huh, I didn't know that. Which other websites does the FBI track?

>>53581049
Yeah, I was aware that things probably have progressed, but I'm just going off of my vague knowledge of networking and how data is transmitted and received.
>>
>>53581107
>>53581049
Also, they redirect traffic? When exactly do they do that, and when is the info just logged?
>>
>>53580971
>Even then how do they differentiate an edgy 19 year old from a hardened criminal with an IP address?

They could if they truly wanted, but they typically cant which is part of the reason it's so scary. Treat everyone like a hardened killer mentality sucks.
>>
>>53580585
I know right? It sounds like FUD but it's legit that they purposely hire low IQs to be cops. Fucking scary as hell. Basically wild animals with the authority to carry guns and kill you at will.
>>
>>53581138
Google man in the middle attacks.
>>
>>53581064
Link me that book? I can't find any online links even on ThePirateBay.
>>
>>53581269
That's probably why they hire low IQ cops. It heavily correlates that the further you get to the right of the spectrum, the less group-mentality you develop. Meaning you're not going to jump to the conclusion that anyone suspected of something is a criminal and needs to be coerced into prosecution, and in law enforcement the entire attitude is 'better safe than sorry.' They want people who take the law literally and don't interpret further.
>>
This thread is so fucking fedora. The NSA problem is too complicate to be discussed here
>>
>>53581428
>The NSA problem is too complicate to be discussed here
Then where would you discuss it?
>>
>>53580843
>Https

Oh, you think that means shit? You are an adorably cute and naive kid.
>>
20,000 fbi agents in existence

> going to arrest 300+ million americans
>>
>>53581428
More that the NSA doesn't release primary information about their methodologies, so we have to rely on whistleblowers who don't update relevant information often at all.
>>
>>53581435
I wish I knew.
>>
>>53581468

HTTPS hasn't been cracked. Unless you know something nobody else does, piss off.
>>
File: 5184808_orig.png (419 KB, 564x462) Image search: [Google]
5184808_orig.png
419 KB, 564x462
>>53580043
no need to worry, unless you're a pedo-terrorist
>>
>>53581486
It isn't like 300+ people are doing anything even remotely incriminating. I'd say at least 70 million don't even know how to open their Internet browser.
>>
>>53581486

Its not that they will arrest 300 million people, its that 300 million people gave to live their lives as though an FBI agent could be watching their every keystroke.
>>
File: 1327115045013.jpg (66 KB, 415x347) Image search: [Google]
1327115045013.jpg
66 KB, 415x347
Lets be honest here did americans actually expect their government to not use and abuse the shit out of such a huge collection of data?
Who's going to stop them? The citizens? Their corrupted politicians?
The land of the free.
>>
>>53581522
This. The president is a mascot. The election is choosing do you want a Red or Blue logo for the country?
>>
>>53581508
those incriminating pictures of you jaywalking ; that's a moving violation and a $180 dollar fine.

saying 'kill yourself' on facebook: illegal, and gets you thrown in jail

reblogging copywritten material? FBI Warning $100,000 fine, and 20 years in jail

imagine if laws were actually enforced on a massive scale
>>
>>53581562
But you're a good little sheep anon, they wouldn't do that to you. They don't even care if you do those drugs and look at those naked kiddies. That's just more ammo for them for when you'll be dangerous to them. But we won't because we love the system, and if push comes to shove we would defend it because we're crack addicts
>>
>>53581562
This is true. And people generally don't have the intent of a hardened criminal when they're browsing the Internet, I think this is the most important thing to remember. Compromise the TOR networks at most (although I still disagree with this, and feel it isn't getting to the root of the problem, but it's a compromise), but don't waste resources on the websites everyone visits and 99.9% do not have harmful intentions. If they did they'd be on the Tor network.
>>
>>53581562
they probably don't enforce on a massive scale because they would be laughed at. What are they going to do fema camp everyone when jails run out of space from all the no compliance. There would be a united uproar that would just turn public opinion even more against them.
>>
>>53581347
not him, but try http://www.donellameadows.org/wp-content/userfiles/Limits-to-Growth-digital-scan-version.pdf
>>
>>53581562
thats one of the reasons why we have judges though
>>
>people worried about the NSA using this to go after every lawbreaker for minor shit
Not going to happen. That's simply impractical and stupid.
This sort of information will be used to annihilate anyone who pisses the government off in some way. Are you working to create software that can help people hide from the watchful eyes of big brother? Alrighty then, we'll just take a look in the database and find some dirt on you. Your local police will gladly kick your door down after receiving the info and some new toys from the DoD.
>>
>>53581623

Judges are bound by the law. Prosecutors have the charging discretion.
>>
>>53580043
>suprise

I'm more surprised theyre admitting it.
>>
>>53581628

>are you working on a system the government wants to compromise
>are you working for a political opponent
>are you actively pushing to cut the NSA's power

ftfy

It's human nature to abuse power, that's why were supposed to have public governments and a Constitution.
>>
>>53581623
The concept of a judge isn't a sufficient filter. Verdicts are subject to a lot of extraneous if the law has been literally broken, not just ethically. To legal-states who take pride in the practice of law, they will more than not stand by it, unless you're a privileged member of society, exhibit any sanctimonious archetypes, or you're a 17 year old white girl. Even then it's not guaranteed. Nationalism makes people blind to extending circumstance.
>>
>>53580456
Man I feel kinda stupid when someone (with credibility) told me that someone they knew allegedly saw NSA equipment inside of one of those internet exchanges. This was before the whole Edward Snowcone business too.
>>
>>53581628
also elected government officials have to protect the agenda of their bosses, so you better don't be a nuisance for a big company.

and once in a while, the media choose some unlikable, unlucky, scapegoat in order to make a point, and give some circus to the plebs.
>>
>>53581628
The FBI prosecutes anyone who commits a federal crime, not just those who conspire to undermine their power.
>>
>>53581739

The FBI doesn't prosecute anyone.
>>
>>53581751
Well, they give news to their local police. Local police have quotas to fill. Resulting in a knock on the door if they get wind and they're behind on their quotas. Even then they might just save the report for later, though I'm not sure about that.
>>
>>53581739
I can 100% guarantee that they have solid evidence that a lot of people have committed minor federal crimes and they simply decide not to move on that info, or they intend to move on it at a later date. American prisons are overcrowded and the court system is horribly clogged. Going after every single person who has committed some petty crime would be asinine.
>>
>>53581764

The FBI doesn't give it's "reports" to local police either. Try again.
>>
>>53581764
All I mean to say is that the crime doesn't depend on conspiracy in the ways you're speaking of, anything is at stake if it violates legislation. It's just about if it gets detected and if the police see a point in driving to your house, which they probably will.
>>
>>53581776
Huh. That's what I'd read on their website. Inform me.

>>53581767
What qualifies as 'minor'?
>>
>>53581804

I misunderstood you. I thought ypu meant in the regular course of business the FBI gives information to local cops who prosecute.

What will really happen is the FBI will give direct access to locals when those guys are in a task force together. Its a very scary prospect considering the NSA collects all of your digital life and processes it all in a format that would make it easy for anyone to troll through everything.
>>
>>53581804
Typically anything nonviolent that doesn't involve some other serious crime like grand theft etc. The feds arrested a whopping 18 people after busting Silk Road. Do you think that they didn't get any info regarding some of the people who were buying drugs on the site? The federal agencies have better shit to do than chase someone who bought a gram of MDMA and moved it across state lines.
>>
>>53580043
Reminder that Windows 10 is a surveillance OS for the NSA.
>>
>>53581865
Reminder that the sky is blue
>>
>>53581850
Just stay on recipes.com and floral shopping websites then. I'm considering staying off of my computer for 95% of the day, but this is honestly the best place for me to learn and research about different subjects. I taught myself so much from the Internet. I don't want to have to avoid 99% of the websites I used to visit in order to not have my privacy violated.
>>
>>53581917

Use Tor for everything. Qubes+Whonix is god-tier.
>>
>>53581933
I'm not going to draw attention to myself like that, plus it's slow as fuck for normal everyday browsing. Plus all IP addresses on the network are subject to proxy manipulation and inclusion, an error in tracking could result in me getting blamed for something I didn't do.
>>
>>53581979
Its not terribly slow for normal browsing. 300-500kbps is about average, which sounds bad, but its only a second or two longer per website.
>>
>>53581107
Honestly too many to realistically avoid having one's privacy compromised at this point.
>>
>>53582002
Not something I'm going to deal with considering all of the other factors.
>>
>>53582025
But if the FBI isn't monitoring the server (they monitor servers for the biggies- Google, Yahoo, etc), how would they mine through the data? Moreover do they have access to the backbone like NSA does?
>>
>>53582028

What other factors? You can use a pluggable transport to hide the fact you're using Tor. Or even use a private bridge to connect to Tor.
>>
>>53581933
Qubes+ a hardware firewall routing over Tor's transparent proxy system with IPTables is even safer
>>
>>53582063
>Plus all IP addresses on the network are subject to proxy manipulation and inclusion, an error in tracking could result in me getting blamed for something I didn't do.

Even if I disguised the entrance physically, my IP address would still connect.
>>
>>53581767
precisely

>domestic law enforcement officials now have access to huge troves of American communications, obtained without warrants, that they can use to put people in cages

now, if some police officer wants to fuck you for whatever reason, chances are he'll find a perfectly legal reason to do it.

just don't fuck with cops, and you'll be a-ok
>>
>>53581856
I see. Why did they bust only those 18 people in particular?
>>
>>53582137
Most likely because those were the only real players they could get. Everyone else was either too smalltime to bother with or they didn't have enough evidence to make it worth their time.
>>
File: Hipster Fox.jpg (65 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Hipster Fox.jpg
65 KB, 500x500
>>53580043

The data itself may not be used but analyzed to select a population that is best suited for a culling.

Hitler targeted the Jewish population because majority of the poor lower class was Christian while majority of the middle and upper case was Jewish. In accordance with zipf's law there was a greater number of people who fell in the "Poor and Christian" category then "well off Jewish". He fueled the larger group to target the smaller different group as well as dissociate the value of fiat currency with a new model "Success isn't made, it's a birth right" Thus creating the desire of the new 1%, blond hair and blue eyes.

Classic persisting strategy – A strategy that seeks to destroy the means by which the enemy sustains itself
>>
>>53582221
But if they've already selected their aim (minorities and Muslims), what would they do with an IP address? Track their political dissent?
>>
>>53580348
Dipshit did you not read the news years ago that tor was compromised since forever? Privacy is kill, they're just being more public about it. They've been collecting most phone conversations since the 80s at least. They just have the ability and algorithms to sift through it all now and the storage to save them all now.
>>
>>53582296

>tor is compromised

It's not. As with anything, there are holes and those holes are patched. Don't believe all the clickbait you see.
>>
>>53582296
This. Nothing is private anymore. NSA methods are kept on lockdown while being updated regularly as the facilities maintain their funding, outside of the public's knowledge. They hire only the best software engineers and programmers to work for them. It's only a matter of the importance of your actions to them, and if their data mining is thorough enough. Even then they might have invented something to completely strip through their storage. You really don't know with something as silent as the NSA. You can't assume you have privacy anywhere and at any time if the given activity is digital. Even then, since Obama supports the NSA drone spying is probably still happening. Your digital and portions of your physical privacy have stripped. It's not safe anymore.

If you're not a Muslim just watch Zizek spitting bullshit about surveillance programs and it'll be fine.
>>
>>53582362
Tor is compromised in the sense that any and all activity can be traced if people see to it.
>>
>>53582271

Any number of things. I could type out tons of options from implementation of a new system (similar to sesame credit) to A sort of tactic to ween out a minority. But my money is on a system since the NSA is an entire group dedicated to gather information and why waste it on anything less?

Systems - No matter if you win or loose, as long as you play, the owner of the house who is hosting the game will always get paid and be in control.
>>
>>53582447

If someone were watching the entire network and using timing attacks then this would be feasible, but burdensome. It would be nearly impossible to use this in those visiting hidden services though. The FBI needing to subpoena CM's research regarding Tor vulnerabilities is enough evidence for me to have a great deal of confidence that they don't have a realistic answer to Tor.
>>
>>53582503
All they need to do is bust the server, then the logs of activity would be available. One of the FBI's priorities on cybercrime is Tor, since it's infamous for housing illicit activity. Unless the server is in a third-world shithole, it's only a matter of time before the FBI finds and circumvents the server, and the most prolific users of it.
>>
>>53582587
>>53582503
It is burdensome but Tor servers are among the top of their lists in the division of cybercrime, which is only growing.
>>
How is this legal?
>>
>>53582587

Kek. Its not that simple. Finding which server hosts a hidden service is an incredibly difficult task.

If you're talking about Tor nodes, those are publicly posted.
>>
>>53582621

Legality and moral decisions are 2 different things.
>>
>>53582621
It's not, but the government is the one enforcing the law, so they're the ones who can break it without consequence.
>>
>>53580292
Cox is a pretty non shit company as far as isp's go isn't it
>>
File: ron paul angry.jpg (21 KB, 397x224) Image search: [Google]
ron paul angry.jpg
21 KB, 397x224
>SNOWDEN IS A LYING SHIT, WE ONLY USE THIS STUFF TO STOP TERRORISTS!
>Lol jk we're actually going to use our powers to bust anyone we feel like busting
>>
>>53582624
It's only a matter of time. The division of cybercrime is only growing, and they hire the best they can find. If it's happening digitally it's only a matter of time before a genius comes along and manipulates the presented information.
>>
>>53582682

And there's geniuses on the other side fighting back. That's the way this has always worked.
>>
>>53582701
Yeah. And I think more geniuses would be siding with Tor and wouldn't work for the NSA; if they're really that great with computers and so invested in it, they probably value digital privacy immensely.
>>
File: nsa wizardom.jpg (15 KB, 296x180) Image search: [Google]
nsa wizardom.jpg
15 KB, 296x180
>>53582770
Unfortunately there's a lot of talented hackers who don't see it that way. A fat paycheck and excellent benefits is pretty tempting when the competition is offering a nebulous concept and not much else.
>>
>>53580480
But why would you end up in court... it's not like we have cp in our computers and we want to hide it... or do you have some?
>>
>>53581064
Nuclear fusion and who knows what other technologies we will dervice form pinciples of gravity which we started to properly research with detection of gravity waves.

Electricity would never be a problem, in fact we'll reach a point where it might as well be free or ultra cheap and available world - wide.
>>
>>53580511
It's Level 3's network, they're a tier 1 ISP. The ISP that connects your computer to the internet is a tier 2 or tier 3 ISP. Those tier 2 and tier 3 ISP's connect to the tier 1 ISP's network to move data around the world.
>>
>>53583072
Did you not read what I said? You could get blamed for something someone else did since the Tor network essentially takes all of the IP addresses on the network and assigns them to different people. One's physical location is bounced through 3 other people's physical locations. If they do something wrong or they aren't thorough enough, your IP could be the one blamed for something someone else was doing. You could be charged with an illegal activity, of which you didn't do, but since they fucked up they've matched your IP address to those packets of information in connection to the server. This is why the Tor network is dangerous even if someone is there browsing Facebook out of wanting their privacy respected.
>>
>>53583101
>Nuclear fusion and who knows what other technologies we will dervice form pinciples of gravity which we started to properly research with detection of gravity waves.
It's still a gamble on whether we get them before we're too far gone in other resource areas (plus, as noted in the limits to growth, more and more investment could move towards extracting the limited resources that remain [partly as the price is going up] to the detriment of industry and [presumably] research.)

Plus, even if electricity stops being a bottleneck it's still (theoretically, clutching at straws here) possible that due to limited supplies of other resources, consumer electronic use is still limited.

If we're assuming the viability of fusion the whole limits-to-growth thing could be derailed anyway as (virtual) consumerism is basically entirely unhinged from real world resource limitations. (a VR car doesn't require gas, for example, just processing power.)
>>
>>53583160
Or maybe the police need to search your house and according materials before making an arrest and placing you on trial. If so, then never mind what I'm saying. I'd figure they'd make an arrest if your traffic detected something. However it's best to avoid that completely since you don't want anyone in law enforcement bothering you. So I would avoid the Tor network and anything that could be misinterpreted as a rule of thumb.
>>
>>53580043
>>53580053

J U S T
US
SU
T S U J
>>
>>53581269
>I know right? It sounds like FUD but it's legit that they purposely hire low IQs to be cops.
if you read the article it says the average cop IQ is 104 (slightly above average)
>>
So this means all the shit I pirated before I got my VPN is gonna come.back to bite me?

I guess I'll just VPN all the time now then. Might have to buy s 4chan shekel pass.
>>
>>53583625
No one cares about what you're pirating, millions pirate so they just try to redact the source.
>>
>>53583546
Not high enough to question anything. Average IQ is best for a police officer.
>>
>google
Enjoy your botnet.

>>53583733
>>53583733
>>
murrica fuck yeah
>>
File: riatrump.gif (4 MB, 640x333) Image search: [Google]
riatrump.gif
4 MB, 640x333
>>53583889
>make america great again
>>
>>53583695
We live in a country where the prison system operates on profits. You just trust that to be the case, it of course is not an absolute.
>>
>>53584241
They have bigger fish to fry. Really, really big fish. Cartel, gangs, murderers. These people are tough enough to catch. Don't worry about pirating some movies.
>>
List of people that are surprised:

End of list
>>
>>53584376
That's a nice sentiment but law enforcement operates on the 'low hanging fruit' principle, not the 'value for money' principle.
You see, when a politician is breathing down their necks to get results, they get results by upping their statistics, and they do this with the least effort possible because they, no matter their budget, have finite resources, so they maximise the statistics rather than anything important.
A "We arrested 600 people" and they're all 1g cannabis druggies and YIFY downloaders has more value than "We spent all year catching one guy" even if that guy is the head of a crime organisation and his removal and the dismantling of his operation removes thousands of kilos of dope from the streets.
>>
>>53584416
This is true. However, I would say that 95% of people on the surface web doing things aren't arrested at all, even eventually, since logs just get lost and confused in data mining.
>>
>>53580053
Being so cucked that you dumb cunts cannot even run your own country.

I guess it is the popular of being blacked and educated.

>Don't forget to drive by the fast food places while you complain about being cucked.

J U S T
U . S
T H I N G S
>>
>>53584443
Yeah I still wouldn't worry about pirating movies. While these people have no scruples, they still consider themselves to be doing some kind of good and really don't see the point in going after kids downloading movies.
They retain some kind of perspective, due to being exposed to real crime all the time. They aren't drinking the kool-aid of 'piracy costs lives' that the media industry teaches politicians
>>
>>53584532
To continue:
What is possible is actually automated file sharing prosecution. Forget being manually targeted, the NSA's database would allow a computer program to run that sends you notice that you're criminally liable.
>>
>>53584548
NSA wouldn't do that. FBI would search through the database and set up their own computational algorithm. Of course this is considering that all of the data that isn't mined and tagged just fades into oblivion from the NSA's hands, and therefore isn't ever seen by the FBI. I'd imagine the NSA would only keep valuable data and metadata on any related activities (flight purchases, equipment purchases, etc).
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMwPe2KqYn4

Relevant

You're not being tracked if you're American, as most if not all of the information you have doesn't read that way. Calm down.
>>
>>53584789
>youtube as a source
Adults are talking
>>
>>53584835
Yes, but this is all footage from a registered organization. just because it's uploaded to youtube doesn't say much. this is provably legitimate data from a convention.
>>
Blame the normies. Blame the retards who voted for the law.

They should all be gassed and raped, tbqh.
>>
>>53584789

>you're not being tracked if you're not an American

That's simply not true. The NSA collects data from Americans at a higher rate than any other nationality.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/07/05/report-nsa-surveillance-collects-data-on-far-more-ordinary-online-users-than.html
>>
>>53585260

https://theintercept.com/2015/07/01/nsas-google-worlds-private-communications/

Shall I continue?
>>
>>53585260
>foxnews

Thrown in the trash.
>>
>>53585435

Then read the next article.
>>
>>53585444
By tracked I meant they're not monitoring you closely and the data will probably never be seen as we know of now.
>>
>>53585470

They don't have the man power to monitor more than a thousand or so people closely. They still siphon up all our data and can, and do, troll through it at their leisure.

http://thehill.com/policy/technology/228107-nsa-reports-detail-privacy-violations

LAND OF THE FREE
>>
>>53580250
change isps

>>what is a monopoly for 500 alex
>>
>>53585495

https://theintercept.com/2014/12/26/nsa-releases-report-internal-abuses-christmas-eve/

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/07/21/us/politics/edward-snowden-at-nsa-sexually-explicit-photos-often-shared.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/nsa-broke-privacy-rules-thousands-of-times-per-year-audit-finds/2013/08/15/3310e554-05ca-11e3-a07f-49ddc7417125_story.html
>>
>>53580325
one could use a vpn outside the country
>>
>>53585553

There are even fewer restrictions on the NSA outside the country.
>>
>>53580480
proxychains google it

I love how people pretend like they know stuff but don't actually take the time to figure out the stuff they pretend to know.
>>
>>53580843
because if you're using tor then the node can see your ip address, you send this info to nsa and they find out who owns the ip address based off the modems mac address that is being issued.

assuming you're using comcast they are able to figure this out.

most of the nodes are probably run by the nsa anyway.

tor isn't secure, tor is government funded.
>>
>>53581064
are you retarded

energy production is getting cheaper not more expensive, this is why oil is crashing.

solar, wind, and thorium energy are here.

lockheed martin says fusion that fits into a pickup truck is already real and is coming in 10 years.

nasa is going to start catching asteroids for mining purposes, spacex is going to land rockets on mars that can be refueled and re-launched from its surface without manned pilots.

drones in space are the future, and we're looking at entire cities being placed onto other planets by drones.
>>
>>53585581

Were you the same moron in the mac thread earlier?

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of how Tor works. The guard node can see your IP address, so it knows you're using Tor but it has no idea what you're accessing on the other side of the other two hops.

Tor is ran by three of the most trustworthy people on the planet. They receive some funding by the State Department, but frequently say they will turn down the money in a heartbeat if they were ever asked to compromise the software.
>>
>>53585565
I love how people think proxies can't be traced to the source. Gotta love them.
>>
I laugh every time Americans talk about how their second amendment guards them against opression. While their government shits on their mandate and constitution on a daily basis and they dont give a flying fuck.
>>
>>53585636
tor is a government project, anyone who doesn't believe this is seriously diluted.

tor is probably the biggest world wide honeypot the government has.
>>
>>53585644
the 2nd amendment protects me against violent niggers and their halfling offspring
>>
>>53585649

Stop talking out of your ass. Tor hasn't been ran by the government in 15 years. Dingledine and Applebaum have more integrity in their little piss than you have in your whole body.

Shoo fly.
>>
>>53585649
By that logic the government was able to comprise the network years ago and shut it down. The FBI routinely asks them to shut it down since it attracts criminals. Government isn't allowed to invade non-profit organizations even if they do receive funding.
>>
>>53580480
Using the tor network won't get you sent to prison you idiot. The way tracking happens on the tor network is through things like traffic analysis, which gets harder to do when more people use the tor network.

>>53585649
>tor is probably the biggest world wide honeypot the government has
please provide proof other than "its funded by the government!!"
>>
>>53580043
Sweet
>>
>>53585698
Traffic analysis can still be decrypted.
https://www.torproject.org/about/overview

Packets of data from the entrance node are encrypted as it bounces around 3 nodes, then hits the exit node. The information however can be decrypted, revealing nodes along the way. There aren't many nodes it goes through in the first place. Meaning if there's an error in their methods along the way or if they're not thorough enough, your specific node could get the blame for packets of data that were sent by another person.

I don't know why people are equating what I'm saying to 'if you have the program on your hard drive you'll go to jail.' I'm not saying you'll get thrown in prison, but it is a bit iffy in the above respect, and best to just avoid.
>>
>>53585803
Also it doesn't get harder to do as more people use it. It's just that more nodes are available for use in tunneling.
>>
>>53585849
But it's always 3 nodes.
>>
>>53580043
This is why you need your assault rifles. This is why every first world country should have the right to bear arms.
>>
>>53585618
>this is why oil is crashing.
oil is crashing because saudi arabia wants to fuck shale extraction
>solar, wind, and thorium energy are here.
good luck building any of those with insufficient trucks.
>nasa is going to start catching asteroids for mining purposes, spacex is going to land rockets on mars that can be refueled and re-launched from its surface without manned pilots.
remember when NASA was going to be back on the moon by 2030?
>we're looking at entire cities being placed onto other planets by drones.
in our movies, perhaps.
>>
>>53583546
>implying it's high enough

They are given guns and the power to enforce the law. IQ 104 can't even understand the fucking laws.
>>
File: OreImo.png (317 KB, 640x347) Image search: [Google]
OreImo.png
317 KB, 640x347
>>53580043
>And we don’t have to guess who’s going to suffer this unconstitutional indignity the most brutally. It’ll be Black, Brown, poor, immigrant, Muslim, and dissident Americans: the same people who are always targeted by law enforcement for extra “special” attention.
Stay classy, Washington Post.
>>
>>53580043
>>
>>53583160
>You could get blamed for something someone else did
They'd have to prove that it was you sitting behind your computer in the first place. If your mom was browsing cossack pierogies on your PC, how would they prove it was you and not her?
Thread replies: 161
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.