[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why no love for Fedora, also general Linux thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 171
Thread images: 15
File: tryorinstall.png (293 KB, 770x432) Image search: [Google]
tryorinstall.png
293 KB, 770x432
Why do I never see this distro talked about, I've used Ubuntu, Mint, and Debian. This is by far my favorite distro
>>
no packages
>>
>>53570353
fedora is shit
>>
That's the only issue i had with it on initial install ive gotten Chrome, steam, Virtualbox as well as other stuff to work, my only gripe is I cant seem to get VMware to work, virtual box is attrocious
>>
I wanted to try it, but I heard you had to deal with external sources and repos to get normal software since it's pretty restricted
>>
>>53570450
mind explaining why fedora is shit?
iim using fed right now and its really fast, almost as fast as cinnamon. very secure.
fedora is also very stable for a testing distro.
uses gnome 3 out of the box, hot.
only probs i find with this distro is that it doesnt install vim, nano or even vi by default, doesnt have rpmfusion source by default and you need to install python 2.7 cause not installed by default. but thats all fine cause what if the user doesnt need those programs like i do? keeping the cruft out
the only thing i see wrong with this distro is
>>
File: 1452134614965.png (209 KB, 432x385) Image search: [Google]
1452134614965.png
209 KB, 432x385
>>53570353
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>53570353
installing it right about now anon. I just would love to see more packages from rpmfusion-free officially supported (with security fixes), also i would love a decent freetype config out of the box or tools from ubuntu for installing langpackages (idk if this is in fedora , maybe im just retarded) or required packages for a samba share or something, i find that lacking (but i guess this is a workstation and not desktop distro so you are suppoesed to know what you need to install).
>>
>>53570353
Because Gentoo and openSUSE exist.
>>
>>53570353
No packages.
Fascism.
Cancer.
Poettering (but then I'm just repeating myself).
>>
>>53570679
isn't python 2.7 the default installed for yum/dnf?
>>
>>53570679
Are you a pooinloo?
>>
Works great on my workstation. Currently use it for RAID file storage and for using the KVM hypervisor (for VT-d PCI passthrough goodness).

Previously, I was using Gentoo. At this point, the only thing I like about Gentoo is that kernel customisation is painless. Having to deal with Portage was why I eventually decided to move to Fedora.
>>
>>53570951
>having to deal with the most powerful and painless package manager by far was why I eventually decided to move to the distro with the worst, slowest, dumbest package manager which is so shit it has to be manually emulated half the time to get anything done
Hello lennart!
>>
File: file.jpg (18 KB, 325x371) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
18 KB, 325x371
have a fedora-flavor on my mediacenter, just werks (tm) and looks pretty. Arch-spergers can hate all they want
>>
>>53571066
>most powerful and painless package manager
Powerful? Yes.
Painless? Yeeeah, no.

While I did enjoy how flexible and powerful Portage was, the investment of time required quickly outweighed that. Also, can Portage do reliable unattended upgrades?
>>
>>53571186
t. pooinloottering
>>
>>53570353
>freetard distro
>beta testing distro
>corporate distro

I sure wonder why.
>>
I'm by no means an expert on Linux/GNU, I heard Fedora was a great distro to learn linux, I agree 100% it sucks ass when it comes to finding packages without going to an outside source. I absolutely hate Mint, Ubuntu is okay but im not a fan of the UI. I've been using Fedora for about 6 months now with no issues with security, speed, and haven't really had any problems in general, it takes ages to boot but thats a small gripe
>>
>>53571242
>package managers that don't require constant configuration fuckery (/etc/portage/package.mask, etc.) are for poo in loos

Yeah, can't take you seriously now.
>>
>>53571336
t. lettard poottering
>>
Fedora is shit
>>
Instability of Arch with much fewer packages and mandatory systemd... What's the appeal of Fedora? You're just a voluntary lab rat for Redhat
>>
>>53570816
yum is dead and dnf is python 3.
thus python 3 is the default since Fedora 23:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Python_3_as_Default
>>
>>53570353
a. doesn't aim to be a general desktop distro, just workstation for devs
b. red hat test-bed forces alpha software onto you (early systemd, gnome3, anaconda installer)
c. lots of forbidden items including fonts, multimedia, modern crypto & binary drivers
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Forbidden_items
d. rpmfusion can't correct all (crypto & amd binary drivers), is insecure and badly maintained
https://bugzilla.rpmfusion.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3313
https://bugzilla.rpmfusion.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3023
e. breakage due to following latest stable kernel instead of backporting while otherwise not allowing major updates
f. strict packaging rules with no bundling except firefox, so no chromium available. did soften them somewhat recently.
g. bad defaults: not keeping old packages, but repos only have latest; workstation has ports open by default; anaconda installer doesn't force a root password and starts sshd at the end; ugly fonts
h. no real user repos like AUR/PPAs: Copr is a ghost town and enforces Fedora's forbidden items
>>
Okay since everyone is making rather valid points here, I understand why its not used much. The person who recommended it to me was a manager of an IT company or something along those lines. I love the interface of fedora and want to learn Linux, what would be the best distro to try, I've heard tons about Arch/ Gentoo
>>
RPM as a format is hell
also gnome3 by default and any gui influcenced by it is hell (gnome fags use fedora mostly)
also 6 month-ish support is hell

anyone who thought using fedora-server because it sounded like a stable version of systemd+server honestly should be castrated because debian 8 works way better and is way longer supported. don't make enterprise linux any worse then it needs to be fuckers
>>
>>53571455
>Instability of Arch
Fedora doesn't allow major updates for any packages but the kernel/kde/browser within a release
>with much fewer packages
Fedora has the second biggest binary repos after Debian
it's like Debian 22k packages, Fedora 15k packages, others and then Arch with 3k packages (based on source packages)
>mandatory systemd
welcome to modern linux
>>
>>53571559
i've kept true to debian or fedora, as they both have an enterprise backed portion related. If you learn linux, be prepared to git gud at both and know the differences.

Debian is my fav, fedora is good, but almost there (only like because of RHEL).
>>
>>53571613
I haven't used Debian a whole lot, mainly used Fedora and ubuntu so I may just install it on my 2nd machine for testing
>>
I was using it for the last 2 years, i am using debian testing now and I don't regret the switch.
What makes me change are:
-yum/dnf is slow as fuck
-updates failed 7/10 times
-had some problems with some gcc features and trigger some assert in glibc for no fucking reasons.

right now i'm still looking for my next GNU + linux distro. I'd like to try some non systemd distro like manjaro/openrc, void linux, devuan in work/uni environment.
>>
>>53571564
>RPM as a format is hell
nope, DEB and RPM are pretty much the only decent ones:
http://uneex.ru/static/PackageFormatComparison/index.html
>also gnome3 by default and any gui influcenced by it is hell (gnome fags use fedora mostly)
your opinion, not a fact
>also 6 month-ish support is hell
not true.
support is till the n+2 releases + 1 month, which is usually 13 months.
that's longer than Ubuntu's n+1 release + 3 months, which is 9 months.

>anyone who thought using fedora-server because it sounded like a stable version of systemd+server honestly should be castrated because debian 8 works way better and is way longer supported.
you just sound retarded for considering a distro with such short release cadence.
you should compare Debian stable with Fedora's downstream distro: RHEL.
>>
>>53571569
>Fedora doesn't allow major updates for any packages but the kernel/kde/browser within a release
How can it claim to be bleeding edge then? And kernel updates themselves are some of the most crucial break points in the first place.
>welcome to modern linux
OpenRC is a thing and an actual sane alternative to Poettering-Sievers' frankenstein experiments.
>Arch with 3k packages
Nice meme
>https://www.archlinux.org/packages/ 14273 matching packages found. Page 1 of 143.
>https://aur.archlinux.org/ Packages 31682
>>
File: 7bc.jpg (44 KB, 600x893) Image search: [Google]
7bc.jpg
44 KB, 600x893
Daily reminder that using fedora is being a red hat beta tester for free
>>
>>53570353
They don't support my shitty graphics card, even tho i installed 22 some months ago and it was werking just fine.
>>
>>53571651

redhat fag detected, thanks for eating the bait
>>
File: tumblr_nbswtxF5cY1qlcib9o1_500.png (216 KB, 500x544) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nbswtxF5cY1qlcib9o1_500.png
216 KB, 500x544
/tips gnu/linux
>>
>>53571697
>How can it claim to be bleeding edge then?
it's not. Fedora is leading edge.
>And kernel updates themselves are some of the most crucial break points in the first place.
bullshit.
linux kernel devs have a policy of not breaking userspace.
>OpenRC is a thing and an actual sane alternative to Poettering-Sievers' frankenstein experiments.
not really. systemd has won, all the major distros switched
>Nice meme
retard please, adding i686 and x86-64 up is obv wrong.
go by source packages to also ignore most splitting of packages and keep it fair between distros:
https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/
2463 packages

AUR are not maintained by Arch devs and not even binary packages.
>>
>systemd
>GNOME
>SELinux
>No packages

no thanks
>>
>>53571559

Since you're obviously new here, I'll let you in on a little secret. There is no distro that exists that has not been shitted on before. There are 'valid points' to not use any distro, but the reality is you need to use what works for you.

Fedora (and Red Hat Enterprise Linux as well as CentOS which are based on Fedora), Ubuntu, and Debian are the main linux distros, meaning that these are the ones you will need to know if you're expecting to work in a corporate environment. Don't bother with hobbiest distros such as arch or even gentoo if this is for work experience.

If you're just messing around, then go ahead and try them out.
>>
>>53570812
>Poettering (but then I'm just repeating myself).
but Poettering hates Fedora:
https://plus.google.com/+LennartPoetteringTheOneAndOnly/posts/dToG1PGNc1Q
>>
>>53572031
>Don't bother with hobbiest distros such as arch or even gentoo if this is for work experience.
The majority of what you learn in those two is also applicable to Fedora and whatnot. It's not like they're not GNU+Linuxen/Linuxlets/Linii.
>>
>>53572031
Thanks for the honest reply and not one that was just shitting on the distro. My main reason for choosing it was because id like to get into a job field that uses Linux I know Redhat is used and Fedora is close to Redhat so it seemed like a good choice
>>
File: fedora.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
fedora.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
I've been using Fedora for around month and have really enjoyed it so far.
>>
>>53572131
>The majority of what you learn in those two is also applicable to Fedora and whatnot.

True, but if it's the same experience, why not just use the actual distro you need to learn? The Arch wiki is a great resource, but arch itself really isn't useful for OP's purpose.

>>53572133

Fedora is the upstream version of RHEL. Basically, every couple of years Red Hat takes a specific Fedora version, adds it's logos, and then provides support for x number of years. The current RHEL is based off of Fedora 19, see the wiki link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux#RHEL_7

So yes, you are making a good choice, but remember to also learn to use Ubuntu, as that is very popular as well. Learning a distro isn't hard, as the core utils don't differ much if at all between the distributions. Also, Unity is currently based off of Gnome, and it has the same type of workflow.
>>
>>53572131
if you are just a corporate drone, your sysadmin won't allow you to do anything anyway
if you are a sysadmin you obv need to understand the finer points of packaging, which every distro does differently
if you are devops, you are already set up for fail
>>
>>53572217
>Unity is currently based off of Gnome
bullshit.
Unity has nothing in common with GNOME Shell.
>>
>>53572251
>Unity is a graphical shell for the GNOME desktop environment developed by Canonical Ltd. for its Ubuntu operating system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_%28user_interface%29
>>
>>53572217
Ubuntu was my foré into the Linux world, 9.04 was the first version i remember using, I definitely enjoy it, aside from some compatibility issues with hardware, mainly wireless cards its a great distro but I must say I prefer gnome over Unity
>>
>>53572133
I used fedora for 2 years and didn't learn anything special about REHL or anything usefull in a workplace as sysadmin. You may learn better by setting up servers and restricted environments, scripting some task with bash or whatever.
What I am saying is using fedora for everyday use is useless if you want to learn about work specific settings.
>>
>>53570353
rpm
>>
>>53572282
>citing wikipedia as a source
>wikipedia having no reference for that claim
Unity till version 8 uses Nux toolkit - not even GTK3 and has zero code from GNOME Shell.
>>
>>53572401

Well then I stand corrected. Thanks anon.
>>
>>53570353
>heavier than Ubuntu Unity
>dnf is cool but buggy as fuck adding repos
>Gnome 3 shit included, even in other spins
>fewer packages than I've expected, which is bad (for me, may not be a problem for someone else)

Some people may bitch about the name too...
>>
Fedora KDE master race checking in.
>>
They will port dnf from python to C, i may reconsider switch back to fedora when that happens.
>>
>>53571974
POO
IN
LOO
TTERING
>>
>>53572118
I believe it :^)
>>
>>53570742
No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.

Thanks for listening.
>>
>>53572178
How can someone "enjoy" a packagemanager, i can sort of understand enjoying portage since it's every autists wet dream but enjoying a run of the mill package manager? It doesn't even do something unique for gods sake.
>>
File: 1458243320697.png (376 KB, 520x423) Image search: [Google]
1458243320697.png
376 KB, 520x423
>people saying that fedora is red hat beta
>calling testers people who uses fedora
>ignoring the fact that linux users are ALL testers

>linux """""""users""""""""
>>
>>53571564
>fedora-server
Not using CentOS i see
>>
>>53572644
A distro is:
-A collection of (available) packages (this means quantity, quality, up-to-dateness, stability, etc.)
-Distro-specific software and patch collections (For example, opensuse used to greatly improve the usability of KDE with their patches; nowadays they merely make shit unusably unstable)
-A community (this matters due to bug reporting and support)
-A set of default tools and configs (this can be setup manually but requires more work - this does count for something - and this includes installation media).
>>
>>53570353
Because Gnome3 is default and Gnome3 is terrible?
>>
>>53572829

what do you use?
>>
>>53572832
hopping between Xubuntu and Manjaro KDE
>>
>mfw can recreate fedora in debian
>can recreate slackware with debian
>can even recreate UBUNTU in debian
what's the fucking point? all of these distributions are non-unique
>>
>>53572887

I don't understand what you mean by 'recreate'. To recreate fedora in debian, you would need to port over the dnf package manager, as well as host your own repos (or pull from fedoras) to include the vanilla linux kernel as well as non-debian patched packages.
>>
>>53572864
>>>53572832
>hopping between Xubuntu and Manjaro KDE
>not using MATE
>>
>>53572951
Ill probably try out ubuntu mate at some point I don't like configuring things and there for the longest time it seemed that mint was the only distro that came with mate preinstalled
>>
>>53572832
Lumina. BSD approved (tm).
>>
>>53572620
This part is meme 100%

at least the Richard meme part is not only true but taken directly from their website.
>>
>>53570353
I installed fedora on a test laptop, I am loving it.

And I just found out about cockpit, which I want to try out with Fedora Server now.

http://cockpit-project.org/running.html
>>
File: clappers.gif (2 MB, 219x186) Image search: [Google]
clappers.gif
2 MB, 219x186
>>53572594
>lost the argument
>le poo in loo meme XDDDDDDD
Well done.
>>
>>53571331
Fedora is just eye candy - you understand?
>>
>>53573081
>the Richard meme part is not only true
No it isn't
You've been memed into think that it is though
>>
>>53571489
Give me your absolute top three distros then give me your noob distro of choice.
>>
>>53573144
It's not about memeing an desktop operating system - has gnu components and linux kernel.

Sure you can use linux kernel with different components and have it server different purposes - linux is a very important part that's why it's in the title, but GNU parts are just as important as the kernel, if not very important.

In an average desktop environment the % gnu tools take is around 13% while Linux kernel is around 9%.

Linux/GNU, but sure you can only say Linux only autists will ever mind.
>>
>>53573144
>it's called NT, not windows!
>>
Mint is shit
Arch is shit
Ubuntu isn't shit
Debian isn't shit
Gentoo isn't shit
>>
>testing rhel beta for free
>>
>>53574190
>ubuntu
>debian
>not shit
Top meme!
>>
>>53574162
Actually it'd be like calling Windows "NTOSKRNL.EXE". And using the retarded GNU/Linux bullshit would be like calling Windows Windows/NTOSKRNL.EXE.

Call it GNU. Because that's the fucking OS. The kernel doesn't matter unless you're actually specifying what your system is made up of (GNU with a Linux kernel).

GNU. Simple, accurate, correct.

Use it.
>>
>>53574248
Getting arch just to waste hours of customizing it to look retarded - without gaining any marketable or useful skill that can be projected somewhere else is just like stupid kids done with windows xp - spent days customizing the shit out of it for no reason.

Just go on youtube, type arch linux hit last month, you'll be amazed how many kids shared their customized distros bloated with lots of flashy shit, penguins sliding around, stupid childish animation.. seriously go check it.
>>
>>53574262
THIS
>>
>>53574367
Not sure if retarded or archfag.
>>
>>53570353
I use Fedora
>>
>>53574456
>I tip fedoras
>>
>>53572644
skinwalker detected
>>
>>53571455
>instability of arch
So you're saying fedora is extremely stable?
>>
>>53571564
rpm metadata is superior to deb for resolving dependencies.
>>
>install fedora with all defaults because need a distro quickly and have never used an rpm based system outside of servers
>realized I have to deal with Gnome
>keyboard shortcuts are broken out of the box
>dnf configured to autoupdate without confirmation
why can't there be a good set of defaults?

2 months later
>installing package with dnf
>installs fine
>next time I try to use dnf it core dumps
>boot into system again later in the day
>refuses to boot normally
>dnf is broken and somehow broke core gnome components
That's what I get for not installing Debian like usual
>>
>>53570488
why not qemu kvm? or xen?
>>
I'm using fedora for some time at first couldnt add rpmfusion 404 error next day all gud
Few days later kernel upgrade broke it booted in previous kernel version all gud
>>
>>53570679
You realize Cinnamon is a de, right?
>>
>>53570353
My favorite distro. I use it to get shit done and it just works.

Only had one issue on an older laptop because of the shitty broadcomm drivers
>>
>>53570679
>fedora is also very stable for a testing distro.
Who introduced the idea that that was what 'stable' meant?
>>
I've had zero problems with Fedora in the 6 months ive been using it, all my hardware works, boots fine every single time, I don't see why everyone is complaining about stability issues
>>
>>53576596
This.
>>
I've been unable to properly log in with the last 2 kernels Fedora gave me. Since it removes every third kernel, the next one will be strike 3. If this is an issue related to my specific hardware, that'd suck. You'd expect an old Thinkpad to be the first thing they'd make sure to support.
>>
>>53576700
Updated mine 3 times now on my Asus laptop, still works like a charm so it may very well be your hardware
>>
>>53570488
Vmware workstation/player sucks donkey ass in linux
>>
>>53571649
Retard detected
>>
>>53572300
Ubuntu has been. broken for a long time long live fedora!!!!
>>
>>53572470
That's b.s nothing is heavier than unity ffs
>>
>>53576019
Slow as fuck no optimisation for graphics
>>
>>53576959
Ur mom is
>>
Because fedora is for redhat cuckfags that suck Lennart's cock.
>>
>>53576596
Same works better on my t450 than ubantoo
>>
>>53576873
Works perfectly more like. PEBCAK.
>>
>>53571697
>openrc
>sane
>still can't do parallel initialization
>needs muh sysvinit to work
>>
>>53572829
>gnome is terrible
Welcome Back to 2009
>>
>>53577154
Lol the installation process is shit and has been shit for years, it always requires patches and fixes, show proof before you speak
>>
>>53577228
sudo emerge -v vmware
???
just werks.
>>>/kindergarten/
>>
>>53577196
openrc has been able to do parallel init for beyond forever. Fuck off lennart.
>>
>>53577537
Gentoo really hahahahahahaha
>>
>>53574262
The kernel is infinitely more relevant. What's the part that manages memory, and takes system calls? You can also use it without GNU shit.

If you want to call it something contrived, call it Linux/GNU.
>>
The name is embarrassing.
>>
>>53577958
Also daily reminder Richard Stallman WISHES he created Linux, and claims he invented it.

https://youtu.be/SNBMdDaYhZA?t=389

He's also a hypocrite who apparently pioneered Copyleft, yet his site has the Copyright logo all over it.

You fucking freetards need to fuck off, your meme has overstayed its welcome. Remember when Stallman was a joke and not taken seriously on /g/?
>>
File: tipsfedora.jpg (116 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
tipsfedora.jpg
116 KB, 1252x1252
>>53570353
>>
Anyone of you guys have a guide for video accelerated kvm qemu xen vms??
>>
>>53570353
>Why no love for Fedora
isnt this like the 3rd most suggested distro on this board besides arch and mint?
>>
>>53578081
>WISHES he created Linux, and claims he invented it.
I don't even think you know what Linux is by definition
>Remember when Stallman was a joke and not taken seriously on /g/?
So you mean when /g/ was /v/2.0 and had a bunch of clueless consumercucks on it that don't even know the difference between a kernel and userland? That's pretty much right now
>>
>>53570778
whats openSUSE based on?
>>
>>53578652
DEBIAN GNU
>>
>>53578625
Lay off the kush, lennart. R'eddit is that way: >>>/reddit/
>>
File: *tips best distro*.png (41 KB, 370x370) Image search: [Google]
*tips best distro*.png
41 KB, 370x370
It's p good OP.

If anyone on /g/ recommends anything else other than Fedora, *banto and maybe openSUSE you can be 98% sure they're your typical GNU/Neet basement dwellers using linux just to enlarge their e-peepee in desktop threads on /g/
>>
>>53576596
6 months isn't very long.
suspend was broken for months not so long ago:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1244435
>>
>>53576700
where's your bug report?
best to bisect the kernel.
>>
>>53578644
>So you mean when /g/ was /v/2.0 and had a bunch of clueless consumercucks on it that don't even know the difference between a kernel and userland? That's pretty much right now
Nah, more like 2007 when people insisted on spamming lolis.

Wasn't good back then, but it's worse now.

And Linux is a kernel. He gets butthurt because people actually credit Torvalds for writing it.
>>
File: memehatdistro.jpg (244 KB, 1267x1188) Image search: [Google]
memehatdistro.jpg
244 KB, 1267x1188
Torvalds recommends it
>>
Because all of the software Red Hat supports is becoming more convoluted and reliant on their own super special binary formats. Gnome doesn't store settings in dotfiles like everything else, it took one of the worst ideas from Windows and implemented a fucking registry. Systemd doesn't store log files as plaintext, it took another one of the worst ideas from Windows and stores them as binary blobs. And NetworkManager is a barrel of dicks.
>>
>>53578919
What I don't get is why they're doing this?

They seem to be actively trying to make Linux a pile of shit.
>>
>>53578799
>Nah, more like 2007
There were a lot more freetards back then that got scared away by peak traffic and the waves of cancer that correlate with it.

He gets upset because people call an operating system by the name of the kernel and don't credit the GNU userland for its contributions which are more significant. The only reason Linux became anything but an obscure project is because it could provide the GNU userland with the final piece needed and create a fully functional OS. If you even bothered to read what Torvalds wrote all those years ago you would discover when he is describing Linux he says it "won't be anything big like GNU". At the time Linux was in its infancy GNU was only missing a kernel that was taking forever to be written because of the technical approach taken
>>
>>53578944
Because Red Hat makes money from support contracts and those are harder to sell when things are easy to use and never break.
>>
>>53578839
That's old, Linus doesn't use Fedora anymore. He jumps around a lot.
>>
>>53578978
>People started asking me to give more speeches about it, until for a while, they started thinking that the system was Linux and that it had been started by SOMEBODY ELSE in 1991
he's so butthurt, did you watch the video i posted?

you still didn't answer the copyright question either, freetard
>>
The package manager is fucking awful I hate Fedora. Fuck RPM.

apt or pacman is the best.
>>
>>53579058
>The package manager is fucking awfu
>apt [...] is the best
lmao
>>
>>53578919
>Because all of the software Red Hat supports is becoming more convoluted and reliant on their own super special binary formats
I'm getting really sick of this trend. It's destroying the GNU/Linux community. People are forced to get absorbed into garbage like systemd at the risk of "not going with the flow" and end up fragmenting their development community as a result. RH is dragging the userland on a chain because of its own agenda and people are getting disenchanted with development
>>
>>53578919
totally Red Hat's doing and using some other distro will make that go away. /sarcasm

remember when Ubuntu went for bleeding-edge ext4 at the time and those crashes cleared your settings for shitty programs using dotfiles w/o fsync.
ext4 still has to do some ugly hack to remedy that.
>>
>>53579099
Fedora just recently replaced their package manager.
they didn't do that because yum was so great.
>>
>>53570353

I dont care if fedora literally sucks my dick and massages my prostate, I'm not going to use a distro named after a fat, sweaty atheist memehat

Start over and name it something else
>>
>>53579180
fedora existed way before that meme you fuck
>>
>>53579226

Doesn't matter. Fedoras are stupid hats and this distro is shit for having that name
>>
>>53579058
>>53579099
retards pls.
pacman 5.0 just got features that yum had since ages ago and still can't do kernel upgrades in a sane way:
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/16702
>>
>>53578981
It takes some mental gymnastics to assume that due to the subscrption model for RHEL.
When buying any subscrption model other than "self support" you're paying for using it whether it breaks or not.
So it's actually beneficial for RH to make it NOT break because then they can charge you money for years and never hear from you again.

The thing you've mentioned would work in case of Microsoft's model.
Because Microsoft's subscription model charges you per-incident basis More incidents - more money they get.

Go figure.
>>
>>53579139
Yes, it's entirely Red Hat's fault. Everything they have their hands on turns to shit. Poettering has their blessing to run wild with his retarded antics as well.

And dotfiles aren't bad just because there is bad software and filesystems out there. They're universally supported and easy to edit. In an enterprise environment they're by far the easiest option to move configurations. Hell, you can track changes to your configurations with git if you use them. Deploying changes in gsettings is a massive fucking pain in the ass that wouldn't be an issue if Red Hat would cut off the Gnome Foundation's testicles and let them die by switching to literally any other DE.
>>
>>53579258
>why shold we change, it's the meme that sucks
>>
>>53579180
Fedora is a great name.

Keeps meme spewing /v/edditors from using it and making the community shit.
>>
>>53579031
>he's so butthurt
you would be too if it was years of your work along with the community that you created that gets mislabeled. I can't expect you to understand though as you're probably just puking unreadable java on shithub that you wouldn't even want associated with your name.
>you still didn't answer the copyright question either, freetard
He's not against the existence of copyright and the replacement of copyright by copyleft. He's interested in restricting the power of copyright. The sites are released under the CC non derivative license
>>
>>53579388
it's shit minus without any memes
RH is the cancer that is killing GNU/Linux
>>
>>53579443
>RH is the cancer that is killing GNU/Linux
gnu/neet neckbeard delusion as always

>someone made some feature work and actually usable?
>fuck them reeeeee muh gjentoo
>>
>>53579468
typical wincuck/special snowflake Linux user. Zero knowledge about RH's development style or plans for Linux yet immediately resorting to ad hominems, generalizing, and spewing faggot memes
>>
>>53570353
I use it in the university computer labs with Plasma 5 and its total garbage, though I blame most of it on KDE.
>>
File: tyrone-laughing-20-aeons.jpg (29 KB, 620x670) Image search: [Google]
tyrone-laughing-20-aeons.jpg
29 KB, 620x670
>>53579528
I'm actually using windows but I keep regurgitating shitty phrases about linux internals I see on /g/ because it keeps y'all bumflattered and entertained

Hello
>>
>>53579357
except GNOME's registry is totally the creation of GNOME's inventor that never worked for RH.

text files are only useful if you only have a few settings.
dropping all of GNOME's setting in one dotfile would be retarded and far from easy to edit.
for some reasons for binary files, see:
http://www.sqlite.org/aff_short.html
>>
>>53570812
>memes xD
>>
>>53579572
>I'm actually using windows but I keep regurgitating shitty phrases about linux internals I see on /g/ b
That's all I was pointing out really...
>>
>>53571066
>dnd
>worst
Wow, you really have no clue what you're talking about. You've never used apt-get, have you?
>>
>>53571907
Why is that bad?
>>
>>53570353
>also general Linux thread
>>53575886
Kill yourself.
>>
>>53579573
Dropping all of Gnome's settings into a dotfile wouldn't be convoluted at all. It'd be far easier to manage than using gconf. And again, you can get revision tracking when you're not using some retarded binary format. Have you ever tried to manage gsettings in an enterprise environment?
>>
>>53579701
please keep such bait topics out of /flt/
>>
>>53579732
What I meant was, there is no need for another linux general. If he really wants to discuss linux (excluding the dumb Fedora question) then he should post in /flt/.
>>
>>53579718
>Have you ever tried to manage gsettings in an enterprise environment?
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Desktop_Migration_and_Administration_Guide/configuration-overview-gsettings-dconf.html
>>
>>53579858
If all you've got to say is that I should have capitalized GSettings instead of calling it gsettings they you should stop posting because I've banged my head against the wall trying to deal with Red Hat's poor decisions (like supporting Gnome) enough to not care about your naming conventions.
>>
>>53570353
I've used Debian, OpenSuse, all those memeBuntu flavours, Mint, Arch, Fedora. Arch and Fedora have been the best ones I've used so far.
>>
Anyone have a guide for performant virtualisation xen qemu kvm 3d pls
>>
File: 1456739705613.jpg (134 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1456739705613.jpg
134 KB, 960x960
What's the best antivirus for Linux?
>>
>>53580603
Clamav and macafee
Thread replies: 171
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.