[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why people don't use Celeron and laugh when they hear its name?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: 3658.jpg (14 KB, 160x154) Image search: [Google]
3658.jpg
14 KB, 160x154
Why people don't use Celeron and laugh when they hear its name?
>>
>>53569529
Celeron is Intel's Mediatek.
>>
Why do people watch reality TV?
>>
>>53569540
> "Celeron! get outta da fridge! dont make me break my foot off in your ass!"
>>
File: IMG_20160319_001450_edit.png (195 KB, 720x616) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160319_001450_edit.png
195 KB, 720x616
I was comparing two laptops, the Asus X205TA (Atom Z3537F) and Asus E402MA(Celeron N2840).

The Atom one alleges 12 hours battery life while the Celeron does 6. The Celeron is more powerful but the difference doesn't justify halving the battery life. According to CPUboss, Atom has TDP(or something) of 1 or 2 while the Celeron has 7.

So for typing documents and browsing the Web, I would choose the Atom based laptop. The Celeron laptop has HDD(free sata port) and USB 3 which I'd like but the battery life is important for me.

And that's my encounter with a Celeron based laptop. I think the /g/ wiki says to stay away from Atom processors as well though.
>>
>>53570245
Also you forgot to compare the IGPUs, atom IGPUs are really basic meanwhile Celerons one let you do more stuff.
>>
>>53570245
>And that's my encounter with a Celeron based laptop. I think the /g/ wiki says to stay away from Atom processors as well though.

whats the price difference you're looking at?
>>
>>53570245
>Stay away from atom processors
That was like 2-3 years ago, today ones are decent for most lightweight stuff.

If all you gonna use your laptop/2-1 tablet is internet, office and other lightweight stuff its more than enough.

Old ones had problems even with the most basic stuff, everyone who had an asus eeepc knows how horrible they were.
>>
>>53570286
They're almost the same price. $10 difference.
>>
>>53569529

Celeron are damaged chips with caches and cores deactivated. Nobody likes to buy defective products. It is the same reason you should avoid non-k processors: they are not top quality.
>>
>>53570245

I bought my daughter an Asus T200TA last year (Z3795 and 4GB RAM). It seems plenty usable for what it is. Doesn't have any trouble with Office or anything else a 13 year old would need to do. The pathetic integrated graphics even manages to run CS:GO with respectable results.
>>
>>53569529
What are you even trying to say, faggot?
>>
So, N3050 or x5-Z8500?
What is more powerful?

And why there are not a lot of benchmarks about atom CPUs?
>>
>>53570470
I have some questions for you.

Which OS? Is it 32-bit or 64-bit?

How much is the average RAM usage?

How frequently does it down throttle?
>>
>>53570856

64-bit. Just did a clean install of 10 pro last week. The 8.1 install it came with was down to like 13GB free, which I assume was because of WIM (27GB Windows folder) and the 12GB recovery partition. After the clean install (recovery removed) there was 36GB fee after all updates and Office 2016 pro install.

Haven't checked RAM usage on 10. On 8.1 it was something like 1.5GB used 2.5GB free.

It doesn't seem to throttle at all. It stays boosted at 2.4GHz for as long as needed.

Only downside of the T200TA is that is has horrible screen bleed. Worst I've seen on any device in a long time.
>>
>>53569529
because only poor people buy anything with that fucking sticker on it

only the best goys get celery man'd
>>
older celerons were designed to be the successor to the Pentium line, and floped because they were shit, drew alot of power, werent very powerful and used "de bipelin".

Newer celerons arent that bad, the Celeron N2830 in my 100$ chromebook is the same one in my Inspiron thats able to play Terraria at max settings, run AutoCAD 2015 and can even do some Solidworks modeling.
>>
>>53571169
Awesome. Thanks.
>>
Can someone give me a general idea of how strong they are?
Like when you will start noticing they don't are strong enough?
>>
>>53571700
In some forum I read a guy who had problems running Elementary OS on X205TA (Atom Z3537F). Said it wasn't smooth enough. He switch to the DE with the rat logo which ran fine.

Some reviews on YouTube show that it can play 4 1080p YouTube videos simultaneously on IE in Windows 8.1. In one review the guy showed input lag when typing in Word 2016 (or 2013 I forget), but I don't think that should happen normally.
>>
>>53571886
Then they dont are as weak as i thought then.

Do you think its possible to replace the HDD in the keyboards some 2-1 laptops come in?
Also do they work under SATA or what?
>>
I suggest the T200TA 64GB/4GB version over the X205TA. The price on the T200TA has come down drastically (on eBay) since release and doesn't cost much more than the X205TA now.

The T200TA has USB 3.0 and supports a HDD (over USB) in the keyboard dock.
>>
>>53572080
I have no idea but don't think it would be possible to replace it. Especially if the keyboard is thinner than finger width. If it says eMMC then definitely not user replaceable. Unless you're a hacker type and know how to solder stuff. I don't know.

X205TA uses eMMC. It's a SSD according to reviews. But I read somewhere that it's just a permanently fixed memory card. The Asus E402MA has eMMC as well as a sata port for a HDD which is user replaceable.

So you'll have to read the specs carefully to determine if it's user replaceable or not.

>>53572425
Yeah. 4GB is essential in 2016. X205TA with 4GB and USB 3.0 would be a really good netbook/laptop/whatever.
>>
I have a Celeron N2930 in my netbook and it's more than enough for anything I throw at it except gaming. I also lucked out as the N2930 is rather uncommon and it's the quad core version of the dual core N2840 in every poorfag laptop sold nowadays.
>>
>>53569529
it's not paticularly good at anything

it's geared towards consumers who don't know or don't care about getting something that's not quite modern but still ticks some new boxes so people can be charged for a new part.
>>
>>53569529
> Have Dell Inspiron 11 3000
> 8GB DDR3 RAM
> 240GB SSD
> Pentium N3700

Weirdest laptop I've ever owned. It boots and shuts down almost instantaneously, and can handle any web browser with a shitload of tabs, but can't play any games at a respectable frame rate.

I tried The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth, and on maps with smoke/particle effects, the FPS dips down to at least 20.
>>
>>53569529
Because it's a CPU designed for the "dumb poor nigger"- market segment.
>>
>>53573501
It's almost the only CPU you get in any sub-12" laptop nowadays. If you want such a thing with an i3 or above your only option is going the thinkpad route for 3 times the price. And that premium only gets you a nice CPU and a better build quality because the rest is exactly the same as cheapo netbooks: 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD and a 768p screen (1080p for 4 times the price)
>>
>>53573700
yes they have to build what they can sell 100 000s of not what /g/ will like sadly
>>
File: ii.png (38 KB, 1063x683) Image search: [Google]
ii.png
38 KB, 1063x683
>>53569529

What about Pentiums?
>>
>>53573066
I know but i was talking about the 2-1 tablets that use a keyboard Dock with a HDD on them.

I know most budget laptops use eMMC and its not replaceable.
>>
>>53573412
Because it has good everything but a shit IGPU.
>>
>>53574266
Its just a celeron with better IGPU.
>>
ahahahaha cereal
>>
Nothing wrong with celeron at all if it suits your needs.

I run a celeron 1007u dual core 1.5ghz in my little zotac streambox in the living room. Barely audible under full load and handles jewtube, plex and general surfing just fine.
>>
>>53570266
Cherry Trail Atoms have the same iGPU as Broadwell Pentium/Celerons, although running a lower clock speed, not too bad.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.