[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
amdgpu
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: amdgpu.jpg (221 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
amdgpu.jpg
221 KB, 1024x768
I managed to get the new experimental amdgpu driver with ogl 4.5 and vulkan support on a fresh ubuntu partition. It seems to work, opengl might even be faster than windows catalyst. But my screen resolution is stuck, how do I change it? only 1280x1024 can be selected and there's no documentation for the driver.
>>
I mean 1024x768.
800x600 is actually selectable as well.
>>
fuck off kojicuck
>>
Man if I had to work on these conditions I'd rather kill meself
>>
>>53568124
So how do I change it? I'm used to gentoo but it would take a while to get it up and running on this machine and I need some ubuntu repos for robotics things at the moment.

I tried setting kms via grub but no result and I can't work out how to force ubuntu 15.10 to use custom resolutions.
>>
>>53568526
I dun goofed:

You should be able to do something with Randr and its command line tool xrandr: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xrandr

xrandr is an official configuration utility to the RandR X Window System extension. It can be used to set the size, orientation or reflection of the outputs for a screen. For configuring multiple monitors see the Multihead page.

Here's an extract from the --help option:
$ xrandr --help
usage: xrandr [options]
where options are:
--display <display> or -d <display>
--help
[...]
-q or --query
-s <size>/<width>x<height> or --size <size>/<width>x<height>
-r <rate> or --rate <rate> or --refresh <rate>

And here's an example command:
$ xrandr --screen 0 --size 1920x1080x60 

Post if it works, I'm very curious to see how well those drivers of yours work with standard Linux tools.
>>
>>53568541
It's responding to queries about resolution and support sizes but any attempt to change resolution results in command not found.
>>
I managed to change it
$ xrandr --newmode "1920x1080_60.00"  173.00  1920 2048 2248 2576  1080 1083 1088 1120 -hsync +vsync
$ xrandr --addmode DVI-D-1 1920x1080_60.00

But it doesn't stay after you log out or reboot. if I set it using sudo it sometimes kernel panics and always fails to set the resolution when you log in
>>
>>53569439
Just make a script that sleeps 5 seconds and changes the res after login
>>
>>53568086
What are you running? I really wish they would support my kaveri for amdgpu
>>
>>53569439
Don't use sudo for xrandr, it's not a permission issue.

You may be able to set a custom resolution mode in the lightdm config xml, but you'll have to Google for that
>>
>>53569439
can you add it in your xorg.conf? look out for that?
>>
>>53569945
r290x, it's not supported but really any GCN should work. It's just a little unstable
>>
>>53570345
Shit bro, tell me your ways.
>>
New experimental amdgpu driver?

I'm interested. I would give up on Windows if performance was better on what Linux natively supports.
>>
>>53570379
Linux kernel has drivers for basically all of AMD's GPUs. You get out of the box support on ubuntu and fedora and a few other distros, really any of them that ship with the firmware images. Debian and the rest of the GNU distros don't ship with these images so the graphics doesn't run correctly by default but you install them fairly easily if you have internet access.
>>
>>53570379
AMD opensourced a huge chunk of their Linux GPU drivers.
amdgpu will now also serve as a base for their proprietary Catalyst driver on Linux.
>>
File: cool_face_986.png (890 KB, 5000x4068) Image search: [Google]
cool_face_986.png
890 KB, 5000x4068
>>53568086
>It seems to work, opengl might even be faster than windows catalyst.
>might even be faster than windows catalyst
>might
>>
>>53569439
Make an entry in xorg.conf for now I guess.
>>
>>53571027
>tripfag
>retarded
Pick two.
>>
File: a.png (54 KB, 880x322) Image search: [Google]
a.png
54 KB, 880x322
>>53569439
add it to your X11 configuration
>>
>>53570375
Just install this
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDGPU-PRO-Install.aspx

It worked on ubuntu 15.10 on a 290x without any changes.
Gentoo and Arch seem to have better support but you might have to recompile the kernel, there seems to be some confusion as to if gcn 1.0 and 1.1 cards are enabled, from what I could see they were on this version and kernel modification wasn't needed in the end.
>>
Yo does anyone know how to get amdgpu on Arch Linux. I tried installing xf86-video-amdgpu and switched my /etc/mkinitcpio.conf, but it seems like I still have stuck with radeon drivers, which are shit. If it helps, I have a r9 280x.
>>
>>53571848
I second this request, as I have the same GPU.
>>
>>53571885
same faggotry is frowned upon.
>>
>>53571848
Some people said you had to do this on Arch.
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Amdgpu#Feature_support
There's a flag CIK in both the kernel modules and the kernel itself depending on how you assemble them.

There's little documentation so pretty much just guess.
>>
>>53571906
Wow, it must be impossible to have two people using a distro with the same GPU looking for the same thing
>>
>>53568086
>Trump twitter
>T-72 for sale
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.