[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If I install an unupdated build of Windows 10 (from July 29)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5
File: aaa.jpg (111 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
aaa.jpg
111 KB, 1920x1080
If I install an unupdated build of Windows 10 (from July 29) and I never update it, can I remove most or all of the spying in it and use it that way? And should I use 10 Pro or Enterprise/Ent. LTSB? Does it really make a difference?
>>
install gentoo
>>
File: 99236124.jpg (48 KB, 467x266) Image search: [Google]
99236124.jpg
48 KB, 467x266
install leenux meent
>>
>>53568038
What's the purpose of upgrading then never updating? It seems silly to me.

If you're afraid of Windows 10, don't use it. If you won't want to use the services (Onedrive, Outlook, etc) don't use them. They're not required, and can be signed into individually.

If you have 7 or 8 and like it, stay with it. Otherwise, go a different route.
>>
>>53568136
I like the interface of 10. Wouldn't mind using Edge either, but I know that probably spies on you pretty heavily. I'm also doing this for my tablet (Surface Pro 3), I will probably end up keeping 8.1 on my desktop.
>>
How do people even keep 8.1 or 7 anyways? You would have to stop updating them at some point.
>>
>>53568183
Uninstall/hide the update, or use something like Embedded Industry 8.1 which will never get the Windows 10 update.
>>
>>53568199
Problem is finding that version in particular.

I heard it's "lighter" on resources than 8.1 as well which would be neat of course.
>>
>>53568208
There are 2 images on TPB for Industry Enterprise which are still being seeded, and you can activate them with Microsoft Toolkit as you would a typical Windows install. It's what I've used for the past 3 months or so.
>>
>>53568230
Indeed, thanks. TPB is so unaccessible here that I often forget it exists.

Do you consider it to be better than 8.1 aside from updates?
>>
>>53568038
>an unupdated build of Windows 10 (from July 29) and I never update it

I don't think you get a choice in this regard, unless you never connect it to the internet, which would also take care of the spying issues. Maybe consider this and transfer application data like installers via usb stick, LAN or dual booted Linux (which can write onto NTFS volumes).
>>
>>53568164
This should point you in the right direction. There are 3rd party tools, but I trust them less.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt577208(v=vs.85).aspx
>>
>>53568183
>How do people even keep 8.1 or 7 anyways?
Kill KB 3838853 with fire.

Also, be careful with Enterprise and Embedded. Activation telemetry is still reported on these, and it's reported differently than retail / partner channels.
>>
>>53568265
It doesn't come with most of the preinstalled Metro apps on 8.1, at it appears to be a bit lighter in space used on disk and RAM usage. I can't tell if it's faster, it might be. Without the fact that it doesn't get the Windows 10 update it is a little bit better than normal 8.1. It has no features missing and is compatible with everything.

>>53568269
You can just disable Windows Update forcefully by not allowing the service to run, if I'm not mistaken.
>>
>>53568304
Also, one more thing about Embedded, it doesn't get the Windows 10 update, but I think it gets the telemetry updates, so watch out for that if that's a concern.
>>
>>53568284
>>53568320
Well, to be completely fair what I want to avoid the prompts telling me to update to 10. I wouldn't think it's possible to automatically gather updates that don't enable telemetry. That'd be too good.
>>
>>53568275
Thanks! I'll look into it.
>>
>>53568353
If you have Windows Server and Active Directory setup (most don't), setup WSUS and just push updates via group policy. I manage enough machines at home that this is the easiest solution for me.

3035583 doesn't get suggested to WSUS btw...
>>
>>53568284
Don't forget to kill https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2952664 or 3838853 will be downloaded again and again.
>>
>>53568378
What's your server/ DC setup?
>>
>>53568496
I don't have this issue, actually...
>>
>>53568515
Great write up on this and other ways this respawns http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/03/17/microsoft_windows_10_upgrade_gwx_vs_humanity/
>>
I am running W10 Enterprise LTSB N, turned off update at service level. And that bastard still managed to get few updates I dont know how. So OP you will need a really good skills to block it permanently. Gud luck.
>>
>>53568507
Overly complicated.

Prod - 4 DC's, 2 dedicated DNS, 2 dedicated DHCP, 2 node SQL cluster, WSUS, Offline RCA, online subordinate CA w/ AD integration.

I'm also pushing out SCCM / SCOM, and will be doing an Exchange 2013 cluster in hybrid config, and a TFS build farm.

This all runs as VM's on 5 servers:
2x R610 (2x 5560/96GB/6x 200GB SAS SSD)
3x DL360 G6 (2x 5660/72GB/8x 600GB SAS 10K)

And a storage backend:
HP MSA2312FC (12x 1TB) + 2x MSA 2000 (12x 1TB)
DL320S + MSA50 (26x 750GB SATA)
6 Dell MD 1220 (1x 800GB SAS 6GB SSD, 24x 600GB 10K SAS - 3 each attached to R610 and using storage spaces direct with QDR infiniband interconnects)

I'm $400 into the hardware, and it looks really good on my resume.

As for workstations, there are 22 total:
7 Dell AiO in guest rooms
6 daily use (desktop + laptop for wife, myself, and roommate)
6 laptops as spares, for random shit
3 spare desktops that really just need to be removed.

Like I said. Way overkill. The problem is that we're out in the country, and have acreage. So when work season comes around, the workers need a place to crash, and I won't allow them their devices on the network. Period.
>>
Even Win10 pro / enterprise now has backdoors anyways. You might still try to block all traffick from the hosts file with MS but even with that, from the router's point of view Win10 STILL manages to send packets to Microsoft's telemetry servers.

Source: I'm in IT and manage a park of PCs that have been upgraded to win10 automatically. And had to roll back to win7 pro.
>>
>>53568665
>Source: I'm in IT and manage a park of PCs that have been upgraded to win10 automatically. And had to roll back to win7 pro.

Then you've done something wrong. At any Enterprise SKU scale, you're not going to be managing updates manually.
>>
File: gre.png (19 KB, 150x150) Image search: [Google]
gre.png
19 KB, 150x150
>>53568610
I don't know how Win10 even manage to override the 'hosts' file now, it used to be a workaround. it might have its own DNS system which means you should block it from the NAT firewall if possible.

(If it were not literally told in the EULA that would legally make Windows 10 a spyware/botnet but no one is reading it. If we did, we would never use Windows again. and I like Windows.)
>>
>>53568684
Now yeah in my case I see no other option but >backup >reinstall Win 7 > put insane naziesque rules on firewall > update everything manually with windows update service OFF.

the good thing is that I made a lot of cash working extra. still, EBP and many software especially a SQL server contains a lot of bank related info that should in no way get out of the company. And that's my responsibility, so, no win10 ever. no autorun, no internet explorer, no fancy facebook crap or whatever.

The biggest threat is how to deal with employees/staff who brings their own phone, and rootkit/spyware-ridden laptops to post on facebook or play games and are whining about being blocked. That's what makes me cringe.

They do nothing but chat on Skype/kik/facebook/twitter. they are syndicalized, and that's why this monday I'll have a discussion with the boss and the managers to redefine a bit some security policies about the intranet, VPN, and explain the plan.

One thing is certain, is that we can no longer trust Microsoft. I'll print and underline the EULA and complete licensing facts, with logs exposing the TCP/UDP connections to these people who don't know shit about technology.
>>
>>53568851
>Now yeah in my case I see no other option but >backup >reinstall Win 7 > put insane naziesque rules on firewall > update everything manually with windows update service OFF.

WSUS. 3035583 doesn't spool to it, and upgrades aren't pushed. Even with a approve all policy.

> The biggest threat is how to deal with employees/staff who brings their own phone, and rootkit/spyware-ridden laptops to post on facebook or play games and are whining about being blocked. That's what makes me cringe.

IPSEC on the wire, NAP via GPO.

Come on, anon. If you're senior enough to have staff under you, AND working primarily in a Windows environment, you should know this.
>>
>>53568353
Theres an aegis script thats constantly being updated that hides all the known malevolent windows updates, it also slays onedrive, diagtrack and some other useless things.
Suffice to say 10 will not be darkening your drive anytime soon with that, alternatively consider gwx tool.
>>
>>53568898
Yeah that used to work on NT/2K but I cannot trust this shit anymore. It's Win7 and nothing else now. that's all they need. We also still have XP stations.
>>
>>53569070
>Yeah that used to work on NT/2K
It still works. I'm using it. See >>53568619 for a description of my home network.

And it works at scale. Over thousands of machines. SCCM not required.

start --> run --> powershell Add-WindowsFeature UpdateServices -IncludeManagementTools
>>
>>53569114
okay, still, i prefer my own way, no one really needs win ten, and, an affair of personal tastes, win7 looks much better and relaxing to the eyes.
>>
File: 1452027448542.jpg (71 KB, 500x512) Image search: [Google]
1452027448542.jpg
71 KB, 500x512
>>53568619
ty, that's some setup!
>>
File: Capture.png (114 KB, 176x718) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
114 KB, 176x718
here is a video description of how to stop window 10 from getting personal information: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1kGMCfb2xw

//

/

I am not sure if this really stops all kinds of spying or not !! But this is what i used
>>
>>53568038
>LOOK AT ME EVERYONE I'M SO IMPORTANT THAT EVERYONE WANTS TO SPY ON ME LOOK AT WHAT A SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE I AM BETTER TAKE PRECAUTIONS BECAUSE I'M SUCH AN INTERESTING HUMAN BEING ZOMG PEOPLE MUST BE WATCHING ME RIGHT NOW
Kill yourself, faget.
>>
>>53569728
Nice bait. You know it's not about being special, but I guess if you're being serious I fail to see how you can think it's alrighy if a corporration is allowed to track the most miniscule things about you, like what you talked about with your friends on the internet, what websites you visited and the time you visited them, keylogging you and taking periodic screenshots and sending them back, and a picture to go with it. Why must your life be 'special' to get the kind of privacy you've had all your life?
>>
>>53569925
Stop being a narcissist. Nobody wants to know about your worthless NEET ass.
>>
>>53569949
So then if I'm so worthless (by your assumption) why do I need to be spyed on? What does it acomplish for companies and the government to know what I do on a computer?
>>
>>53569981
>why do I need to by spied on
Maybe they're not spying on you?
>BUT MUH EULA TELLS ME THEY'RE LOGGING MY KEYS WHEN I DO SEARCHES!
Eat shit NEET, you're not worth anything to anyone.
>>
>>53569987
That's really easy to argue agaisnt, there is a lot of proof that W10 sends back data to Microsoft and not all people you'll call NEETs are going to be NEETs. Why not try to make them feel like idiots by claiming that you're getting a better OS in W10 or some shit like that, or make them feel guilty for not wanting to get spied on.
>>
>>53570028
>W10 sends data back to Microsoft!
>My data is so special they must be going over it 24/7!
But no anon, they don't care. 4chan uses google analytics so you're basically feeding into a botnet right now.
Stop using the internet if you don't like data being sent to big companies.
>>
>you're not worth it

Sure, show me the point in the MS ToS where it say that they don't sell your data if you're a NEET.
Then show me the NSA slides that tell the same.
Protip: you can't. Ad companies sell everyone and agencies spy on everyone, not because of your perceived self worth, but because they can.
>>
>>53570128
>they don't sell your data
They don't sell it anon, they just collect it. It's not worth anything to them individually, it's worth a lot to them collectively for research reasons.
If you really can't understand that you're a narcissistic fucktard.
>>
>>53570071
Yeah, that is a legit point you've got there, the internet itself is a giant botnet, doesn't make it anymore right for companies to do this stuff though. If you really don't feel uncomfortable for them to have your information (because that is true, they don't go over it, they just hold the data in case they want to), good for you. I just personally don't like the idea, and it really doesn't make me stupid for not wanting that.

By the way, how would you feel about cameras in your own home to hold video data of you? Is that fine? Your phone and laptop camera is doing it anyway when possible, why not just do it all the time? It doesn't hurt you, nobody cares about you.
>>
>>53570174
>Everyone is watching me, I'm so special
You're not anon, stop being a special snowflake fucktard.
>how do you feel about cameras in your own home
Nobody is bored enough to watch you 24/7 faggot you're not on reality tv, just face the facts that you're not that interesting or remarkable.
Then maybe the paranoia will go away.
>>
>>53570174
>2016
>untaped cams

Even the nomies got the message at this point.
>>
>>53570174
>By the way how would you feel
Nobody cares enough for there to be a reason for this.
You have some really shitty arguments.
If you want privacy, go live on an island without internet, and masturbate to coconuts or some shit.
>>
What KB updates do I need to avoid if I don't want it to stealth upgrade? I'm using W8.1 and I have "Get W10" on the disc tray, if I click on it I can update RIGHT NOW. That's weird, because I'm sure I never reserved the upgrade and always ignore the icon in the tray
Goddamn it Microsoft
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.