[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who else is excited for EGPUs becoming easier? I only have/need
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
Who else is excited for EGPUs becoming easier?

I only have/need a laptop (no need for a PC) and I would love to play more games in my downtime from work.
Can't wait til we get Tunderbolt 3 DIY egpus.
>>
Pretty pointless.
If you're gonna spend $500 for an enclosure you might as well spend $500 on a fucking PC.
And then spend $300 on a GPU, of course.

But even if the price went down to $50 (which is where it should be), it'd still be pointless since you could have gotten a laptop with a weaker CPU and spent the saved money on a PC instead.

Laptop CPUs are WEAK and will bottleneck any GPU over $150
>>
>>53567293
You know Ive beem thinking about this. I would love if the next Zenfone could be EGPU ready via type-C.

I know its pretty pointless now, because like you said it, too expensive, but it would replace like a ton of fooken Mini Pc-s in the future
>>
>>53567293
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S4hrz5irzQ
no need to buy an expensive enclosure. I would even put it in a cardboard box.

Plus having a separate device for gaming/HTC seems like a waste even if it's same price/better performance. Already do everything from laptop (including NAS).
>>
>>53567282

Wait, what?

IUt's $500 and you still have to provide a GPU?

What the fuck, it's literally $20 worth of hardware surrounded by ugly plastic.
>>
eGPU enclosures are still overpriced as fuck, not worth until they're under $100
>>
>>53567441
how do you make an egpu (thunderbolt) anyway?

-Graphics Card
-what else?
>>
>>53567501
PSU, GPU, chassis and USB 3.1 and/or thunderbolt contoller.
>>
>>53567501

This is all you would need if you were a company building e-GPU enclosures:

> PCI-E to Thunderbolt PCB
> Thunderbolt cable
> power supply with brick
> Enclosure

Replace Thunderbolt with Expresscard if you want to support older laptops.

If you wanted to build your own it would literally just be a PCI-E to Thunderbolt/Expresscard adapter plus a GPU plus whatever hand me down 400w PSU you have lying around.
>>
When PCI-E to Thunderbolt 3 PCB/Controller comes out thinking of making a combined NAS/EGPU. What do people think?
>>
The shit CPU inside the laptop will most likely bottleneck any worth a shit GPU.
>>
This is not viable for older laptops or even current laptops, only new stuff specifically made for this will be able to support it.
Also given that only laptops with powerfull cpu will benefit it makes sense just to get a dedicated gaming rig and cheap ass laptop for office needs.
>>
Once the chinks get in on this and I can buy one for $60, I might think of it.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.