[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
razer core priced at $500
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3
File: core.jpg (77 KB, 1280x857) Image search: [Google]
core.jpg
77 KB, 1280x857
can someone explain to me why a case for a graphics card (not even a full pc case) costs 500 dollar?

it does NOT come with an actual graphics card inside it

who on this earth is stupid enough to buy it?

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/razer-core-chassis-for-external-graphics-card-to-cost-499-dollar.html
>>
File: fiko.jpg (41 KB, 468x473) Image search: [Google]
fiko.jpg
41 KB, 468x473
>>53567033
not me
>>
Because it's fucking razer you idiot
>>
what's the fucking point

might as well just buy an entirely new computer instead
>>
If you build it they will come

capitalism

Razer is smart enough to know that 12 year olds with rich parent allowances will buy anything that's tacky and looks "gaymery"
>>
I'll buy it only if it lets me put my graphics cards outside of my actual case.
>>
Even worse is that it's razer

you'd think they run a razor between all the fittings and adhesive points on their products before shipping, the way they break and fall apart
>>
so after briefly skimming the article it looks like it's used as an external gpu for your laptop instead of you having to build one yourself. I see the application for it, but for fucking $500? That's just ridiculous.

I'm drunk and just skimming so I could be wrong.
>>
>>53567033
Thunderbolt licenses are not cheap.

But you can just do your own eGPU with a cheaper case ($200) and some small hacks
>>
Fuck, is this seriously a commercial thunderbolt eGPU? Holy shit, finally.
Still, is it backwards compatible with the old thunderbolt standards? 1 & 2?
>>
New products usually start off expensive. They won't get the sales they're expecting.
>>
>>53567033
>who on this earth is stupid enough to buy it?
/v/idya gaymers
>>
>>53567033
pajeet.
stop this viral marketing.
>>
I still don't see the cost benefit for an external GPU at this point.

Installing a high end GPU would be a waste because of the TB3 connection but then again so would a lower end card. Adding something like a 980ti + the case and you are around 1k USD and at that point why not own a desktop so at least you wont be gimping your expensive graphics sub system.
>>
It's full retard. There have been other, cheaper eGPUs/chassis and you can DIY one even cheaper
>>
There are many reasons besides gaymen for having an eGPU. CAD, Multimonitor productivity, CUDA.
>>
>>53567289
lol
>>
>>53567447
it's not an egpu ยด, it's just a case. you still need to buy the gpu

also this stuff has been out since the gtx 600 series with alienware amplifier which only costs $200
>>
>>53567612
>>53567548

The benefit : I can move to work / away with my 15" rmbp and when I'm home I have my gtx 970 to play on a glorious retina display / run my htc vive.

I already had my laptop before and only added 450$ to convert it in a pretty nice gaming computer
>>
>>53567033
This has been the case with all eGPU implementations so far. Dell had something similar at a similar price. It's just ridiculous, it really isn't worth it when it replicates the inconvenience of a desktop with the only some of the advantages of cloud storage.
>>
>>53567033
So what's the purpose if a good portion of the applicants CPUs will likely bottleneck any high powered card?
>>
>>53568165
Muh razer muh gaymen on a laptop!

This thing pretty much invalidates its own existence.
>>
>>53567033
r u poor? ;DDD
>>
>>53567033
Fuck, I wanted to go for it but I expected it to cost half that
>>
>>53568215
Could you explain what the appeal is? Why is a dedicated GPU dock advantageous over a better dedicated stationary machine?
>>
>>53568232
Well for like 1,5k I would have had a really nice laptop, and still be able to do anything graphics-intensive by plugging it in.
basically getting laptop+desktop instead of just desktop
>>
I wish I were so rich I could buy things more expensive it should be because i have enough money to not care about the price
>>
>>53568250
But for $1500 you can get a really nice $1k desktop and a really nice $500 laptop, with the desktop being more powerful and the laptop being lighter with better battery life.
>>
>>53568395
Really nice $500 laptops aren't a thing, I don't want a damn chromebook.
>>
>>53568667
jesus then get a gaming pc for $800, it's still a lot better than any razer notebook with external gpu. and for $700 you can get good laptops.
>>
>>53568232
if these GPU docks were normally fucking priced I'd try it for my next laptop. I need a good CPU for compiling but not GPU, and I need it portable hence laptop. I have an old GPU somewhere from ye old mining days, and while it's not great it's definitely functional. So I'd slap it in and be able to play games. Not high end max graphics but they would play.

So I'd use to play games. Not MAX GRAPHICS OMG games like these turdbags are selling it but just medium settings on the cheap.
>>
>>53568765
What if I want a fucking $1k laptop and still be able to do CAD or game

Why are you telling me to buy something else than what I want for fuck's sake.
>>
>>53569040
It is wrong to want what you want.
>>
>>53569052
What you don't seem to understand is that the most important part of what I want is the laptop, not the fucking desktop. That's extra.
>>
Because there are people stupid enough to buy it.
>>
>>53569061
That's wrong.
(Joking just get whatever you want.)
>>
>>53569092
Well, consideering the price of the razer core I'm probably just going to upgrade my current desktop and get a new laptop.
>>
>>53567033
>can someone explain to me why a case for a graphics card (not even a full pc case) costs 500 dollar?
razer
>>
>implying it will be more comfort than jus taking whole mini-itx pc
>>
>>53567033
Engineering Hours Bro!

>>53567076
The Blade Stealth wasn't priced any higher than other ultrabooks
>>
File: 12745.jpg (32 KB, 334x263) Image search: [Google]
12745.jpg
32 KB, 334x263
>>53567033
I'm guessing it's because you're paying for the luxury of being able to use a desktop graphics cards with a laptop, also TB3 isn't old or cheap man.
>>
a fucking thunderbolt 2 dock with few ports costs like $300, did you honestly think a newer version for a fucking GPU was gonna be cheap lol

you people are so fucking dumb
>>
>>53567033
Thunderbolt, ethernet port, usb hub, onboard power supply and the r&d to create it.

Add all that up and apply razer tax and take into account that there are retards who will pay for it no matter what and shit gets expensive real quick.
>>
Anyone know if full on gaymen laptops with new technology are acceptable these days for someone who will just use them as a desktop replacement?

I just use a desktop myself but a friend is pretty dead set on it for some reason, maybe ITX is better.
>>
>>53567675
nobody uses CUDA, get with the program

it's all about OpenCL fag
>>
>>53567033
kek. my egpu just sits on the table fully exposed.
>>
>>53567033
Razer products are just cheap trash with edgy gamer ascetics. InB4 they're buying these things from a Chinese OEM and rebranding them.
>>
>>53567380
No that's pretty much it

Also 500 dollerinos plus whatever the graphics card costs
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.