[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28
File: parrot part 2.jpg (65 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
parrot part 2.jpg
65 KB, 480x640
Old thread: >>53556449 (Cross-thread)

Welcome to /flt/, we are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will literally work on various distros, including Debian)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
>>
>>53566525
I have done your mother
-RMS
>>
File: singapore-music.jpg (92 KB, 1180x794) Image search: [Google]
singapore-music.jpg
92 KB, 1180x794
>left the cross-thread tag in when copy-pasting
I'm shit, have another stallman-parrot photo to compensate
>>
not really relevant but has anyone tried the amiga OS recently?

considering it since someone i respect uses it.
>>
>>53566543
>Pied Piper of Hamelin
Also know as RMS the parrot-whisperer.
>>
Just installed Arch what do I do now?
>>
I want to dualboot linux and I have a MBP already partitioned. Dual boot doesn't want to recognize my drive and sometime the laptop runs a little bit too hot while hit posting on my lap?

Any recommendations for doing all of this?
I want a light distro for shitposting and listening too music and then switch back to OS X for work related stuff.
>>
I'm the guy who was having trouble with compton last thread, I just wanted to say I figured out that it was the stupid nouveau drivers being shit. Switched to proprietary drivers and everything was k.
>>
>>53566583
lubuntu.

first put windows fix on a stick, go trough cmd fix your boot.

Then re-install linux/gnu - use lubuntu this time, it will make the proper GRUB.

it'll just werk.
>>
>>53566583
>laptop runs a little bit too hot while hit posting on my lap
look online for anything about ACPI and your model of MacBook, it's probably only a settings problem but there could be support issues also.

>Dual boot doesn't want to recognize my drive
expand on this a little more. bootloader, partition setup, etc.
>>
File: antergos.png (19 KB, 580x176) Image search: [Google]
antergos.png
19 KB, 580x176
Are all arch-guided setups still bloated and awful, or is something like Antergos still okay enough?
>>
it says friendly general but no-one responded to my post.
>>
Tip for noobs from a noob:

Once you install Ubuntu - any spin - on your virtual box - in order to allow resolution scaling, shared clip-board etc you have to follow 2 simple steps:
( after multiple attempts this is the method that provides 0 errors and work the best )

First click on DEVICE tab, " install guest device"
close w/e popup shows, and open terminal

write:
cd /media/[username]/VBOX*
then
sudo ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
and restart
sudo reboot

Now open terminal again and write:
sudo apt-get install virtualbox-guest-dkms

let it download when it promts to replace settings say NO - use N.

sudo reboot

Now if you have shared clipboard and other features enable you'll notice everything works well there are 0 errors on screen.
>>
>>53566691
>okay enough
I mean, if you want an ok enough system.
Why not just install Arch properly if you want it?
>>
>>53566577

If you don't know what to do with your operating system once you install it, it's a sign that you don't really need that operating system.
>>
>>53566577
Use your computer?
>>
So I decided I wanted to install version 15.10 of Xubuntu due to certain reasons. Before, during installations of, say, 14.04, Xubuntu was unable to detect W10 on my computer, so I was forced to partition manually, and I was fine with that.

However, the 15.10 installer WAS able to detect it, and gave me the option of "installing alongside" or whatever. So I decided to be lazy and do that.
I don't know what the fuck it did, but next thing I know grub is broken or some shit, giving me that unknown file system bullshit, preventing me from booting anything whatsoever except my USB drive. I fixed it but it fucking scared the living shit out of my Linux newfag self, and now I'm mad as fuck.

Who do I blame? Is Grub a piece of shit? Or was it Xubuntu's fault? Or could it have possibly been the Windows bootloader's fault?
>>
>>53566577
Install tor, start browsing cp.
>>
>>53567054
I was going to play games but I guess Steam requires 9000 extra 32 bit libraries to run on arch for some reason so I'll probably wait until tomorrow.
>>
>>53567111
Every distro would need them, arch just doesn't have them prepackaged because it's a minimal install.
>>
Does kde run well on any computer? I have a 6600k, gtx 960 and 16gb or RAM and it feels so incredibly sluggish still.
>>
>>53567124
You have to go trough some fucking complicated, useless steps to make it run decent.

You have to install proprietary driver of nvidia, then alter so many fucking files just to activate v-sync.

I suggest to go with LXDE or MATE, kde is too much of a pain in the ass.
>>
>>53567124
>>53567135
Don't know what you guys are on about but I have KDE on my 5 year old laptop with a shitty i3 processor and it's smooth af.
>>
>>53567166
You didn't even read.

It's a problem with nvidia - the proprietary driver.

He can make it run smooth, just need to work hard for it.
>>
>>53567177
>You have to install proprietary driver of nvidia
>have to
But I didn't even install the proprietary driver. It works out of the box with absolutely no tweaking. It's smoother than GNOME ffs.
>>
File: 1458162660022.jpg (56 KB, 604x453) Image search: [Google]
1458162660022.jpg
56 KB, 604x453
What is the point of installing gentoo if your firmware and your hardware is already backdoored?
>>
>>53567207
Well for me and other nvidia users it doesn't
I have an gtx 770 and it works like garbage.

That guy has an 960 and works like garbage.

Are you incapable of understanding this? It's not like you bragging about it working well on your laptop will magically make it work well on people with nvidia video cards.
>>
>>53566525
uh hi /flt/

I'm trying to compile mGBA on Ubuntu and every time I've tried to compile something I've failed miserably.

I'm following the GitHub page but I really don't understand it.

Under the compiling section it says:

mkdir build
cd build
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/usr ..
make
sudo make install

>mkdir build
Is this supposed to reference the build I've downloaded? Or is this just the command?

>cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/usr ..
According to the GitHub "This will build and install mGBA into /usr/bin and /usr/lib"

Am I supposed to add the path to /usr/bin and /usr/lib? Or is this just the command as well?

For dependecnies is says I need:
- Qt 5: for the GUI frontend.
- Qt Multimedia or SDL are required for audio.
- SDL: for a more basic frontend and gamepad support in the Qt frontend.
- SDL 2 is recommended, but 1.2 is supported.
- zlib and libpng: for screenshot support and savestate-in-PNG support.
- libedit: for command-line debugger support.
- ffmpeg or libav: for video recording.
- libzip: for loading ROMs stored in zip files.
- ImageMagick: for GIF recording.

How can I check if I already have them on my system? Will installing the tar automatically download them or do I have to download them manually?

Sorry if these are silly questions I'm just really confused.
>>
File: 1451882848572.gif (2 MB, 400x286) Image search: [Google]
1451882848572.gif
2 MB, 400x286
>w7 desktop
>feels lightweight if old
>decide to finally swap
>touch w8 once. never again
>try ubuntu back in 12.something
>feels bloated as fuck
>back to w7
>switch to mint
>breaks out of nowhere after a while
>"might as well try a new distro"
>try kubuntu due to falling for the ricing meme from desktop threads

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS CONVOLUTED SHIT??
There are so fucking menus and effect out the fucking ass to supposedly look fancy yet I can't move windows around without tearing to hell and back. Dolphin looks like shit when compared to Nemo.GTK themes won't even apply properly. I just fucking pulled off the panel that handles windows off the taskbar and I don't know how to move it back. I just fucking wanted a nice looking low key DE without bloated software. I should have fucking gone Xubuntu. REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>53567220

The point is to customize the software during build time with the convenient USE flags.
>>
>>53567242

>Is this supposed to reference the build I've downloaded? Or is this just the command?
That will create a directory named build inside your mGBA directory.

>Am I supposed to add the path to /usr/bin and /usr/lib? Or is this just the command as well?
That's the whole command. You don't have to tweak it.

>How can I check if I already have them on my system? Will installing the tar automatically download them or do I have to download them manually?
Use dpkg -l "package name" to find if you have it installed.
>>
>>53567242
just type the commands out as they are given, shit will work out

yes you will need to manually install those dependencies. whatever you use to install software will have some sort of tool to check if you have the software so use that i guess. doesn't Ubuntu have a nice GUI frontend for apt?
>>
>>53567258
Xubuntu is the best man
>>
>>53567299

>Use dpkg -l "package name" to find if you have it installed.

Sorry, forgot the grep.
dpkg -l | grep -i "package name"
>>
>>53567258
You are in the situation I was few days ago and if you want my honest opinion is pick either lxbe or MATE.

I just love both equally, even tho MATE uses a little more ram and is overall more beautiful - ironically on recent benchmarks it's absolute best at ram usage when booted up - and performance.

Xfce being the worst, just avoid xfce.. it's old and bad compared to other desktop environments.
>>
What's the best terminal C++ editor ?
Should i stick with nano or?
>>
>>53567258
Try Lubuntu.
>>
>>53566577
>>53566577
Rice, that's what arch is for
>>
What does the command "od" do and how is it useful?
>>
>>53566525
>Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

You think Loonix users can be civil? They all are edgy fat neckbeards.
>>
>>53567511
May I welcome you to our thread, kind sir. Would you like some delicious homemade biscuits and home grown tea? You look mighty dashing today, If I may say so.
>>
>>53567444
you should try to move on from nano yes, I use emacs personally but it has a steep learning curve.
>>
>>53567299
>>53567303
Thanks alot guys

So I've made it passed
mkdir build
cd build

And it's created a build directory inside of home

Did I mess up already? Should I have made the /build inside of somewhere else?

Now when I enter the command

I get an error saying /home/username/ does not appear to have a cmake.lists.txt

I have the .tar inside my download folder so I'm thinking I should have made it there but even inside of there I don't see a cmake.lists.txt
>>
>>53567444
vim is the best, for sane people anyway
retards use the OS emacs but there's really no point subjecting yourself to that
>>
Is there a way to have vi and vim? Since I installed vim, vi also points to vim.
>>
>>53566603
Blame nvidia, not the volunteers that make noveau.
>>
>>53567574
Yes, it's still installed, type /bin/vi
vim aliases vi because vi is shit, why would you even want to use vi when vim is installed?
>>
>>53567557
Removing package from system.
click details OK.

... details:

downloading packages...
>>
>>53567622
What.
>>
>>53567653
I found it funny that in order to uninstall the gui had to download lots of stuff.
>>
>>53567658
What'd you uninstall. But yeah, that's odd.
>>
>>53567662
I started to uninstall apps that lubuntu-desktop shifted with to use the ones I prefer instead, terminal music player, mpv.
Well it was odd but what to expect, it's just the linux kernel, basic gnu tools and basic packages.

Even uninstaller is a software itself just there is one uninstaller software built in windows by default.

So once it download you can uninstall everything without downloading anything else, it's a one time deal.
>>
>>53567683
Just confused why you originally quoted >>53567557
>>
File: test.png (4 KB, 405x84) Image search: [Google]
test.png
4 KB, 405x84
>>53567694
I didn't.
>>
>>53567704
>>53567622
>>>53567557
>>
>>53567540

Create the build directory inside of the directory where you extracted the .tar file. You could also pass the directory where the cmake file is to the cmake command in the end, replacing the 2 dots with it.
>>
>mfw I wanted to install KDE connect

are there any alternatives?
>>
>>53567492

man od
>DESCRIPTION
>Write an unambiguous representation, octal bytes by default, of FILE to standard output. With more than one FILE argument, concatenate them in the listed order to form the input.

$ od <(echo "kek")
0000000 062553 005153
>>
Could someone running btrfs show their setup, I'm a bit confused about subvolumes.
>>
>>53567797
Are you really that short for space, or are you just being anal about it?
>>
>>53567825
a bit anal, it just seems like a shit load of packages
>>
>>53567849
It's not called bloatDE for no reason.
>>
File: connect.png (15 KB, 498x293) Image search: [Google]
connect.png
15 KB, 498x293
>>53567849
Am I doing something wrong here?
>>
foo
>>
>>53567940
bar
>>
>>53567942
baz
>>
>>53567940
>>53567942
W
>>
>>53567919

You obviously already have those dependencies installed. Are you running KDE?
>>
>>53567940
>>53567942
>>53567974
Welp, it works:

while :; do
ct="$(curl -s >>53566525 | md5sum)"
if [ "$ct" != "$lt" ]; then
lt="$ct"
notify-send -u critical 'GNU/Notification' 'Activity!'
fi
sleep 5
done

>>>/g/flt didn't work tho, ideas?
>>
>>53568002
>Are you running KDE?
Yep. Also, I should thank you. I didn't even know KDEconnect exists. Thnx. I wanna see if it will work for me
>>
>>53568014
Jesus christ. How difficult is it to exclude quote relinks for code tags, 4chan devs?
>>
>>53568026
They're busy writing funny wordfilters.
>>
What's the best way to clean space around? I imagine once you remove something there are leftovers right?

Also what's your favorite terminal? I would like a terminal that allows you to rename tabs.
>>
>>53568041
a) Remove old kernel headers.
b) URxvt.
>>
>>53568044
Awesome, thank you man.
>>
>>53568041
Oh, you meant cleaning the blocks after rm file?
>>
>>53568044
>URxvt
Looks like a pile of shit. It must be a functional pile of shit
>>
>>53568053
Well if blocks that are left behind are useless then also that, what do in that case?
>>
>>53568060
You say that today, see you in some months, running URxvt.
>>53568070
Check the program shred >man shred. Use this to securely delete a file and overwrite the blocks before with zeros or random data.
>>
>>53568017
Holy crap it's pretty awesome
>>
>>53568044
I tested rxvt and it's one ugly fucking terminal.

Going to see if URxvt is better.
>>
>>53568125
urxvt is the same shit, what are the hotkeys? I can't start a new tab inside it.
>>
>>53568125
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/rxvt-unicode
You're supposed to customize it.
>>
>>53568143
Alternatifly, get a babby terminal like
xfce-terminal or gnome-terminal. But these are not as customizeable as Xterm, URxvt or Termite.
>>
>>53566525
look at these sweet interjections:
https://www.reddit.com/user/Its_yo_boii_stallman/
>>
>>53568159
I'll work on my english.
>>
File: rxvt.png (29 KB, 837x138) Image search: [Google]
rxvt.png
29 KB, 837x138
>>53568146
Which one am I supposed to install?
>>
>>53568184
The one you like, I suggest rxvt-unicode-256color for full profit.
>>
>>53568192
>for full profit
that would be the one I like. Thnx
>>
Leaving this here https://terminal.sexy/
>>
>>53568203
Also this: http://www.xcolors.net/
>>
>>53567784
Made the build directory in the proper place and finished

now when I go to enter the make command I need to specify the target

The problem is I don't know which .cmake file I should target because there's a bunch ranging xxxconfig.cmake to xxxcompiler.cmake.

There's a CMakeCCompilerld.c file that's inside the build directory that looks kind of important kind of thinking that may be it. It's inside a folder that has an a.out executable.

Are there any common signs the target should have?
>>
So let's say I want to stream yotube videos into a window, like when using i3, use half of screen for coding and the other half with a vertical box having computer and the other part having the specific video.

I can use a second desktop to browse for youtube links to stream:

Shoild I use a software for all this? Or is there a way to maximize video only inside the specific region.
>>
>>53568259
Maximize the video on the youtube player, and then use mod+f or your fullscreen hotkey to"soft minimize"
>>
>>53568259
A simple way to do this would be setting the windoe geometry using wmctrl, bound to a hotkey. Or use devilspie.
>>
I want to git gud with ssh. Is there a way to test everything? Like connecting to myself? Pretty noob to ssh. Halp.
>>
>>53568283

Yes, just do
ssh your_user@localhost
assuming you have a ssh server running on your computer.
>>
>>53568249

Works fine for me.
Just delete that directory and start from scratch. You probably have a lot of leftover files from the failed cmake attempts.
>>
>>53568339
ssh defaults to the same user as current one, so no need to specify username. I reckon you might just be trying to be perfectly clear, so mentioning it for the benefit of >>53568283.
>>
>>53568369
>>53568339
Thank you based flt.
>>
File: test.png (462 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
test.png
462 KB, 1920x1080
>>53568277
Dude I'm still reading the wmctrl resources, it's very interesting tool - learning its basics... but i'm still far from actually figuring it out.

So i do

wmctrl -l -p

then use the PID with

wmctrl -r PID for the window right?

Can you help me out with a fast tutorial?

Let's say I want to maximize the youtube video and resize it to fit exactly in that spot, I imagine I will have to keybind that function:

And use the dimensions i got from wmctrl - 956 458 and positioning, but how can I do all this?
>>
>>53568481
You don't really need to work with PIDs. You could also wmctrl -r :SELECT: -b toggle,fullscreen or wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -b toggle,fullscreen.

You can get the current dimensions via wmctrl -Glp.

You can set a dimension via wmctrl -r :SELECT: -e 1,0,0,800,600.

I'm bad at tutorials.

You may also just play the video in mpv, so you just have the video only.
>>
>>53568259
>>53568481

Question: why not use mpv to watch YouTube videos?
>>
>>53568564
It doesn't even start :(
>>
>>53566577
Install Gentoo
>>
>>53568579

Did you install youtube-dl?
>>
>>53568596
>youtube-dl
Installed it and works now ty.

So should I just stop trying to make wmctrl work and use mpv from now on ?
>>
>tfw win10 instead of GANOO/LINKEKS
>>
topkek

while :; do wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -e 1,$((RANDOM%500)),$((RANDOM%500)),$((RANDOM%500)),$((RANDOM%500)); sleep .1; done
>>
Please be patient the /flt/ team is busy hunting their terminals, thanks.
>>
>GNU/Linux
Linux
>>
File: 1442885557802.jpg (44 KB, 308x450) Image search: [Google]
1442885557802.jpg
44 KB, 308x450
>>53568718
>>
>>53568647

Why are you asking such a subjective question? Decide for yourself.
>>
>>53568647
Using mpv is superior in every way so there's not really a point in doing anything else but feel free to explore.
>>
>>53568359
finally did it

turns out I needed to install a package called buid essential because the compiler wasn't being recognized
>>
File: 1455826514515..png (185 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
1455826514515..png
185 KB, 1366x768
>>53568654
How does it feel to get cucked?
>>
I tried a dist-upgrade on Debian, and it started and about 75% through it said I was running low on space. I tried to extend the root partition, but it said I didn't have partman, fdisk or cfdisk installed.

Now when I reboot, it takes a while, but the login screen shows up (no background) and when I login it gives me a message "unable to write to /tmp; x session may exit with an error"

How can I enlarge my partition? (Tty is accessible)
>>
File: consistency.jpg (444 KB, 2560x720) Image search: [Google]
consistency.jpg
444 KB, 2560x720
>>53568775

Consistency feels great.
>>
what will ubuntu call their releases after they run out of letters
>>
>>53568788

I doubt you'll be able to do it from within that installation since your partition is mounted. Boot into a live session from something and use one of those tools listed.
>>
>>53568810

Awkward Aardvark
etc
>>
>>53568810
Looping back to A seems like the natural choice. But maybe they'll take the opportunity to come up with a new naming scheme? Who knows.
>>
>>53568810
Toy Story names
>>
>>53568864

How is a Linux distribution a "botnet" and Windows not?
>>
>>53568877
Wrong quoted, also forgot a space, general failure intensifies.
>>53568810
Wanking Walrus
>>
>>53568806
No wonder the asshat behind MetroUI quitted.
>>
>>53568910
>Wanking Walrus
ebin
>>
>>53568928
Linus Torvalds humor: http://lwn.net/Articles/290498/
>>
File: sad keanu.jpg (144 KB, 1024x711) Image search: [Google]
sad keanu.jpg
144 KB, 1024x711
I've installed Ubuntu-MATE on my desktop.

I have some tearing issues and can't get rid of them after trying for 3 hours. Apparently you have to install compton to fix this but I can't get it work. Is there a dumb-proof distro that won't have these kinds of issues out of the box or should I switch back to windows?

I feel like an idiot, I couldn't even get to update my NVidia drivers.

I've been thinking about trying Mint. Am I going to head into the same issues?

Also, how do you know where things install when you use "apt-get"?
>>
>>53569041

It will be the same on any distribution regarding the tearing. I don't know about tearing since Intel(tm)'s GPUs don't have that problem.

>Also, how do you know where things install when you use "apt-get"?
Executables get usually put in /usr/bin, but there's no reason to care about that.
>>
>>53569041
If you're using nvidia the drivers can fix tearing themselves if you set it up in xorg right.
>>
>>53566561
He would fuck all of those birds to death if he could get away with it
>>
Lately when copying files to flash drive with cp the transfers have been super fast and more often than not the files end up being corrupted. This is happening with many different flash drives. What gives?
>>
>>53569191
>being too autistic to understand a joke made by an aspie
>>
>>53569121
By set it up in xorg this anon means learning to edit system files, after spending all that time learn how to configure the driver.. after that spend so much time prospecting the internet for guides.. Just to learn that you had to add a line of text after a config file to enable v-sync.
>>
>>53569083
>Intel(tm)'s GPUs

This confirms what I've been thinking. GNU/Linux is made for laptops isn't it?

I like GNU/Linux for the out of the box aspect, you get all this great software for free without having any bloatware preinstalled. I also like the freedom aspect. The part I dislike is that everything feels unpolished. I google my problem, an answer comes up on the ubuntu forums but parts of the tutorial doesn't work because it's outdated, then I have to google another tutorial in order to continue doing the previous one and so on. I lose great amounts of time just by trying to get basic things to work properly.

I guess if you only use GNU/Linux without a GUI in your thinkpad you won't run into these kinds of problems but it limits what you can do compared to windows. What's the point of having a good graphics card if you can't use it?

And it's not like I'm a complete noob to GNU/Linux either, I've had an introduction class about it but we only used command lines. I've fiddled with it before too.

>if you set it up in xorg right.

I have no idea what this means, I've tried to follow various tutorials for 3 hours and I've had enough.
>>
>>53569256
No it's just that proprietary drivers are not like on windows hit "next" and it automatically configures itself + so much user feedback and huge teams that just focus on optimization.

You can get absolute performance from your video card and have 0 screen tearing and shit, you just need to make sure that the proprietary drivers nvidia provide are absolutely perfectly installed and that you enabled most of its functions such as vsync.
>>
>>53568827
Whew, ran from a live CD, really had to fuck with my partition table to extend to root partition. But as soon as it finished my system booted fine. That's a relief.

Thanks anon
>>
>>53569255
Yes but I'll be nice.
This thread, check the OP as well as the follow up post I link.
https://github.com/chjj/compton/issues/227
https://github.com/chjj/compton/issues/227#issuecomment-60490130
Second post is super important.
>>
>>53569198
Check dmesg and whatever else that may be relevant, I guess. Also use tools for checking what happens in the cp process, strace or such.

This is definitely not my area of expertise.
>>
>>53569324
>>53569268
I just got compton to work by the way. My previous point still stands though.
>>
>>53569268
Can nvidia just not be shit.
>>
So I just read this .. if you guys mentioned this early I would've started with arch and done a proper job.

So the repos with arch are basically bleeding edge, meaning I get absolutely best shit.

Also it has: Arch User Repository on which users created many easy to install versions of any program.

It's just the best option if you have the time... should've listened.
>>
>>53569377
Meh. Overrated. I'm not one to gush hate over Arch, but it's not the second coming of Christ.

There's not anything stopping you from installing it now, is there?

And to be perfectly clear - those of you happy with Arch right now: keep on rollin'.
>>
>Meh. Overrated.
Overrated? No.
>but it's not the second coming of Christ
True. That doesn't mean it's not good.
>>
Which version of debian should I use for desktop?
>>
>>53569377
>So the repos with arch are basically bleeding edge, meaning I get absolutely best shit.
ummm what
>>
>>53566577
Got to reddit and start saying that you are using arch in discussions where it is not relevant.
>>
>>53569582
He's new, he thinks newest automatically means best. That said, 90% of the time it does. It's not like the upstream is the latest git release.
>>
>>53569602
I'm a noob but I also know that software is tested and verified before it ends up to the repos.

You should research what bleeding edge really means - maybe you're a retarded oldfag.
>>
>>53569624
>I'm a noob but I also know that software is tested and verified before it ends up to the repos.
Haha yeah.
>>
>>53569624
Because nothing slips through the cracks right. Technically getting an update once only every 6 months is far less likely to result in getting bugged software than every day, assuming that security fixes are exceptions to that 6 months.

Shit happens, and people miss it.
>>
>>53569652
Beyond the point.

I'm not running a server which I would want to never disturb me, I don't mind occasional crashes and so on.
>>
>>53569670
I use Arch myself, like I said most of the time it's fine. But the risk is still increased. Most of the time at worst you just rollback though. At WORST.
>>
Want to migrate my windows 2012 server to Linux. Only use it for a few VMs, FTP, smb and plex.

I have 4x4tb in storage spaces in a striped mirror setup, of which I have a full backup of on separate drives. However backup+data is on NTFS with deduplication enabled.

What filesystem and distribution should I go with? I need it to be retard proof because I know very little about looniks and can't into console, yet.

I know this has probably been asked six gorillion times but I'm pretty ready to ditch winblows all together now that Photoshop will be out for looniks.
>>
>>53569565
some of the *buntus
debian is not great experience on desktop
>>
>>53569541
Definitely overrated. It is frequently praised and recommended without properly taking backsides into account.

I never gave any indication of whether it is good or bad. In fact, if a bleeding edge, rolling release distribution (with all that entails) is what one wants, then I'd say it's pretty good, with the disclaimer that I do not have any personal experience with it that isn't horribly outdated. In other words, even if that's what you want, take my recommendation with a pinch of salt.

For anyone wondering, if I were to take my personal experience with Arch into account, as well as other old facts that (hopefully) aren't relevant any more, then I'd be a lot more negative towards it.
>>
how can I download all pictures off http://rms.sexy?
>>
>>53569845
Use wget.

Saved from Happy Birthday RMS Thread:

wget -e robots=off --no-check-certificate -nc -nd -nv -ERhtml -Ajpg,JPG -r rms.sexy/img/

Enjoy.
>>
>>53569789
Why not? I have it running on my desktop, it works perfectly.
>>
>>53569882
regular old debian? or debian testing?

anyway, theres no PPA that ubuntu has, that would allow you to easily get stuff thats not in official repos

then its all very painful to setup with very little benefits
ubuntu LTS are very stable releases, ubuntu server is one of the most populars
the idea that debian offers this great stability is rather deprecated, or comes from the fact that you cant get easily the stuff that could break it, so you are using 5 years old packages
>>
>>53569936
>ubuntu LTS are very stable releases, ubuntu server is one of the most populars

I am using 8.3 on my desktop and 3 of my servers, had no problems wiht it, runs all of my peripherals out of the box and is not bloated.

I've had problems with ubuntu server in the past, also, debian has more users on server side iirc
>>
>>53569968
I am sure I saw data from some hosting company and most of their VPS were build with ubuntu server

the comments on the article theorized that people in 2015 grew up with ubuntu more than on debian or centos. And since its a solid choice they rolled with it

yeah found it
https://www.digitalocean.com/company/blog/where-do-droplets-form/

of course its juts one hosting company, but still
>>
>>53566525
so ive been trying to install mint 17.3 and lubuntu 14.10
usb doesn't work, no csm, secure boot or uefi in bios, only thing was legacy usb which was enabled.
cd lubuntu goes into kernel panic after boot (cant get into grub by pressing shift. tried nomodeset)
cd mint gives errno 5 input output error when trying to install (managed to get into live cd), tried chkdsk, apic=off
what do
>>
>>53569882
I would mostly agree with the other Anon you're talking with, except I do think Debian can have a spot on the desktop if it offers what one wants.

The very old packages of stable is not what the average user would want and can even cause issues (e.g. Firefox add-ons incompatible with older versions). Testing isn't a whole lot better in that regard, given that it's frozen for the better part of a year every now and then.

Then again, I can't speak for how using Sid is like. Not that I'd ever recommend it anyway (unless there's a very specific use case) considering you have to install testing and then dist-upgrade, which is annoying.
>>
>>53570146
use different usb
make the usb with http://www.linuxliveusb.com/
>>
>>53569770
anyone?
>>
>>53570182
ext4
stable, tested widely, simple, reliable.
>>
>>53570161
Everone always talk about "outdated" but, litteraly everything works on my end, maybe I am just lukcy but i will always come back to it from now on... it just works
>>
>>53570138
That IS strange, why would i use ubuntu, when i could use debian? What does Ubuntu offer me that debian does not? (also: amazon integration.)
>>
Installing arch and I want to ask this before I fuck shit up.

Should I go with gpt or mbr ( msdos ) parition table for the virtual disk?

And If I got with gpt, which I want to go with because It's superior - I need to do some extra steps as the virtualbox itself is having legacy bios amirite?
>>
>>53570361
it's a virtual box, you can try both
>>
>>53570361
mbr/bios unless you have a very good reason not to
The only real disadvantage is you can only have 4 primary partitions or 3 + an extended, though the extended can hold as many as you want. And this in itself doesn't really matter except only a primary partition can hold the boot flag.
>>
>>53570387
Well the data integrity is safer with gpt, I think If i install grub on /dev/sda I'm good to go, or maybe make a 2 mb partition to put it on.
>>
File: 1458227827421.png (191 KB, 1828x1026) Image search: [Google]
1458227827421.png
191 KB, 1828x1026
>>53566577
>>
>>53570230
Yeah ext4 was my go to filesystem unless someone suggested otherwise here. Ubuntu or mint? Ubuntu seems more pleb tier and bloated but is it harder to fuck up compared to mint?
>>
>>53570361

When I used GPT together with BIOS, I had to create a BIOS boot partition.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#GUID_Partition_Table_.28GPT.29_specific_instructions
>>
>>53570430
The problem isn't really with gpt, it's that you'll be using uefi which is nothing BUT problems.
>>
>>53570480
mint is more bloated and pleb tier. I would go with ubuntu or one of the variants.
>>
>>53570480
btrfs will be the goto in less than 6 months, it's already usable just not being pushed as a default yet. Fedora was thinking about it soon though.
>>
>>53570248
"Old" doesn't mean not working. Indeed, if no third-party stuff that depends on newer version is used, it'll be rock solid since it's still getting fixes. It mainly means less nice, as software generally improves functionally as it's developed.

Someone's gonna be snarky about this, so let me remind that particular someone that the keyword here is "generally".
>>
>>53570511
>btrfs will be the goto in less than 6 months
Nonsense, it will take years to be the "goto".
>>
>>53570522
Come back in 6 months. It's already perfectly fine to use over ext4 in single disk cases, as well as in many raid cases. For the average user though we're talking single disks anyway.
>>
>>53570480

>Ubuntu seems more pleb tier and bloated

Why do you use those terms in serious questions? How can an operating system be "pleb tier"? Also, how can Ubuntu be bloated and Mint not, when Mint is based on Ubuntu, with almost every package from the repository installed by default?

It's like you people only parrot things you saw other people post, without looking things up yourself and verifying the information.
>>
>>53570534
I didn't say it is not perfectly fine but "goto" implies it is tested and trusted enough for servers and desktops, which will take a lot longer than months, even if it were completely ready right now.
>>
Dual booting w10 and ubuntu
IF I use he disk management tool from w10 to shrink the ubuntu partition, will I run into problems later on ubuntu itself?
>>
>>53570558
Why not do it within the relevant OS?
>>
>>53570496
I just found out that both my windows 10 ssd is mbr and my hard disk is mbr so at this point no point to get involved with gpt, right?

Do you think I should switch to UEFI in bios and install gpt windows 10 and keep mbr on second hard disk for linux?
>>
>>53570588
Yeah, I guess that makes sense
fuck i'm dumb
>>
>>53570589
>I just found out that both my windows 10 ssd is mbr and my hard disk is mbr so at this point no point to get involved with gpt, right?
Nope, why put yourself through that trouble.

>Do you think I should switch to UEFI in bios and install gpt windows 10 and keep mbr on second hard disk for linux?
Why the fuck would you go out of your way to use the cancer that is UEFI. Go ahead, but when you run into troubles because of it don't whine here, just reinstall with bios.
>>
>>53570509
unity a shit though
>>
>>53570738
Don't use unity then.
>>
>>53570609
So I've researched, in some cases MBR is faster - safe to safe overall faster.

While GPT is MUCH more secure with your data.

So using my own type of logic: Considering I don't have much private data, or the most stuff I use is backed up on internet ( torrents, storage etc ) I shouldn't really care about data loss - I also don't write that much to my drives so the chances of data loss happening is slim.. in 1.5 year since I have the hardware it never happened.

So I'll stick with MBR for now until they either invent new technology which is obviously better.
>>
>>53570789
I'll be honest, I don't know how GPT is secure your data. Do you mean security like from other people or secure as in not losing it accidentally on write? The first is obviously resolved with disk encryption, the second I honestly don't hear of happening.
>>
>>53570817
It keeps copies of files around the storage and periodically checks files for integrity.
Secure as ultra slim chances of losing data over corruption and so on.
>>
>>53570865
A filesystem should be handling that desu.
>>
>>53570865
What a fat load of bullshit.
>>
>>53570875
That's why for now the standard is GPT for new hardware with UEFI because otherwise GPT won't work.
>>
>>53570914
Again, another bullshit claim. GPT works fine without UEFI as longs as the operating system supports it (Linux, for example)
>>
>>53566525
What was your post?
>>
>>53570945
It works well if the motherboard has UEFI and legacy support on it and if the operating system is x64. It's not bullshit anon, don't jump so quick.
>>
>>53570980
He claimed GPT won't work without UEFI, which is false.
>>
mkdir /mnt/gentoo && cd /mnt/gentoo && wget -O- ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/gentoo/releases/`uname -m | sed "s/i.86/x86/;s/x86_64/amd64/;"`/current-stage3/stage3-`uname -m | sed "s/i.86/x86/;s/x86_64/amd64/;"`-2014*.tar.bz2 | tar -xvjp && mirrorselect -s4 -b512 -o >> /mnt/gentoo/etc/portage/make.conf && mirrorselect -i -r -o >> /mnt/gentoo/etc/portage/make.conf && cp -L /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/ && mount -t proc proc /mnt/gentoo/proc && mount --rbind /sys /mnt/gentoo/sys && mount --rbind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev && chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash -c "source /etc/profile && emerge-webrsync && emerge --sync --quiet && emerge --sync && emerge net-fs/curlftpfs sys-apps/kexec-tools && mkdir /media/debian-ports /media/hurd-i386 && curlftpfs ftp.debian-ports.org /media/debian-ports && mount -o ro,loop -t iso9660 /media/mirror/debian-cd/hurd-i386/current/debian-hurd-2013-i386-NETINST-1.iso /media/hurd-i386 && kexec --type=multiboot-x86 --command-line='priority=low TERM=mach-gnu-color desktop=xfce' /media/hurd-i386/boot/kernel/gnumach.gz --module /media/hurd-i386/boot/initrd.gz 'initrd \$(ramdisk-create)' --module /media/hurd-i386/boot/kernel/ext2fs.static 'ext2fs --multiboot-command-line=\"\${kernel-command-line}\" --host-priv-port=\"\${host-port\" --device-master-port=\"\${device-port}\" --exec-server-task=\"\${exec-task\}\" -T typed gunzip:device:rd0 \"\$(task-create)\" \"\$(task-resume)\"' --module /media/hurd-i386/boot/kernel/ld.so.1 'exec /hurd/exec \"\$(exec-task=task-create)\"' || exec /bin/bash"
>>
>>53570511
>Fedora was thinking about it soon though.
bullshit.

btrfs devs themselves are opposing:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2015-June/211728.html
as are fedora's kernel maintainers:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2015-June/211723.html
>>
>>53571301
I'm smiling widely.
>>
>>53571301
lel not in a million years
>>
Do i just have to keep my usb installer on my flash drive along with the ISO when I want to do a dual boot? Also, how do i pick what partition my install goes to?
>>
>>53566577
hack facebook
>>
>>53568481
use an adblock first
>>
>>53568810
numbers
>>
>>53568167
>all those interjections
>>
>>53569041
>Also, how do you know where things install when you use "apt-get"?
When u can run the program you installed.
>>
>>53569377
basically, yes
>>
>>53571823
Read up on grub
>>
Using an SSD here

1. Having 8gb of RAM, should I even create a swap partition?
2. Is ext4 still the best file system for this?
>>
>>53572180
I've been using a laptop with 8GB RAM for the past 4 years and never had a SWAP partition.
Also, you can configure the OS to use a SWAP file on an already existing partition rather than its own partition. Just in case you're really running short of RAM in the future.

EXT4 is definitely the most widely supported file system you could use.
Other options would be btrfs for example, but it won't really matter for your everyday desktop usage.
>>
I just had a weird thing happen.

I was just doing normal stuff and all of the sudden a completely black rectangle (about 250x80 pixels) showed up in the middle of both of my screens. The cursor was locked inside one of them and I couldn't send any commands to i3wm through hot keys, although the screen was still active and stuff was displaying like normal. Had to kill startx from another terminal (Alt+F2 worked).

What could it have been?
>>
>>53572180
Swap will save your ass, just put a small (2-4Gb) swapfile on the SSD and forget about it. It's like insurance for when your PC runs out of memory.
Also, it's the main component of hibernation, so you must have it if you want that.
>>
>>53572258
Maybe xflock or xscreensaver that didn't work properly?
>>
>>53572296
Huh, that actually seems plausible (I use xautolock+sflock).
But I was actively using the computer, so it shouldn't have triggered at all.
>>
Anyone knows of a good system wide audio parametric equalizer? I'm seriously thinking of going back to Windooz
>>
>>53572180
Since you don't want to fill up SSDs to the brim anyway, you don't have to be cautious about swap size. Might as well go all out and make it 16 GB.
>>
>>53572405
You again. Read the last few threads again and actually use the help that you got.
>>
Alright, so I'm a first time user getting into Free Software. Got a nice used laptop for cheap I decided to try and get working for fun and put ubuntu into it.

As a long time windows users and has only ever used windows, what are some general things I should know? What's stuff like apt-get, why is there a centralised source for all software?
>>
Can Manjaro use Arch repos or will it break the OS?
>>
>>53572507
>Ubuntu
>free software
WEW
>>
>>53572523
It will break, but only because it's Manjaro.
Don't use Manjaro.
>>
>>53572524
It's freer than windows, I guess

Also, seems like it's the most newbie friendly and biggest distro
>>
>>53572507
It's a package manager. Ever used android? It has one as well in form of the play store. On windows you usually have direct x and similar dependencies installed multiple times and only some are up to date. On gnu/linux you only need one and it's always fresh.
>>
So...

I tried installing manjaro through UEFI. Booted once, not again. My PC now gets stuck on boot and I am unable to access the BIOS.

Have I somehow bricked my motherboard by installing linux?
>>
>>53572550
Play store seems like the closest thing, thanks. But who manages apt-get?
>>
>>53572467
What help? Nobody actually gave me any concrete help? Just shitty hurr read precious posts that you already answered to some other guy?
>>
>>53572568
Highly unlikely.

>>53572579
Those who run the distro or the repos you chose (not sure if you can choose repos on Ubuntu).
>>
>>53572597
As you say that, now it won't even show the splash screen.

What the hell... I think I will never use this again.
>>
File: a.png (1 MB, 1996x1270) Image search: [Google]
a.png
1 MB, 1996x1270
in a previous flt, someone wondered if mahoutsukai no yoru would work in wine, i can confirm now that i have a copy that it does work, all you need it a no-dvd patch
>>
>>53572538
Fuck off memelord.
>>
>>53572635
What did you use and do?
>>
>>53572549
Mistake no. 1 - Responding to memes.

Arch, Ubuntu, Fedora all good choices.

Followed by Debian for seasoned people and CentOS for your server.

Everything else, I'm happy that they exist what can I say more.
>>
>>53572748
Well, I disconnected my SSD and hard drive and after about 3 reboots it finally let me access the BIOS.

I installed manjaro cinnamon 2016-02 through calamares, using automatic partitioning. I plugged the drives again and it boots into manjaro, though that was sort of a scare. My mobo is an asus h81 plus.
>>
>>53572773
>Debian harder than arch
What?
>>
>>53572796
Anon meant that Debian is for old farts, not that it's hard. "seasoned" is an insult in this case.
>>
I'm using Squid 3 to make a proxy server, but it seems that when I achieve a rate of more than 500 KB/sec it starts to drop some of the clients to it, and then past 1MB/sec will shut down and frequently require a hard reboot to function again.

Is there a default rate limit hidden in it, or is Ramnode messing with me for having too small a package?

#Recommended minimum configuration:
acl manager proto cache_object
acl localhost src 127.0.0.1/32
acl to_localhost dst 127.0.0.0/8
acl localnet src 0.0.0.0/8 192.168.100.0/24 192.168.101.0/24
acl SSL_ports port 443
acl Safe_ports port 80 # http
acl Safe_ports port 21 # ftp
acl Safe_ports port 443 # https
acl Safe_ports port 70 # gopher
acl Safe_ports port 210 # wais
acl Safe_ports port 1025-65535 # unregistered ports
acl Safe_ports port 280 # http-mgmt
acl Safe_ports port 488 # gss-http
acl Safe_ports port 591 # filemaker
acl Safe_ports port 777 # multiling http

acl CONNECT method CONNECT

http_access allow manager localhost
http_access deny manager
http_access deny !Safe_ports

http_access deny to_localhost
icp_access deny all
htcp_access deny all

http_port 3120
hierarchy_stoplist cgi-bin ?
access_log /var/log/squid3/access.log squid

#Suggested default:
refresh_pattern ^ftp: 1440 20% 10080
refresh_pattern ^gopher: 1440 0% 1440
refresh_pattern -i (/cgi-bin/|\?) 0 0% 0
refresh_pattern . 0 20% 4320
# Leave coredumps in the first cache dir
coredump_dir /var/spool/squid3

# Allow all machines to all sites
http_access allow all
>>
Does cinnamon work good on Ubuntu? I kinda don't want mint.
>>
>>53572856
Go with mate Ubuntu - it's the best optimized and you will get the best benchmark results with it ( at this point, things might change with future releases ) out of available DE's
>>
>>53572886
>benchmark results
Seriously, of all the things, that's how you choose your DE?
>>
>>53572886
I was considering that.

BTW I'm kinda intrigued now, about those benchmarks, does it perform better than XFCE? Do you think I should try grabbing 16.04 now instead of waiting?
>>
>>53572912
Some people play some games on Linux, I personally don't but I would still pick up the lowest resources consuming DE that is well polished - which comes down to MATE and LXDE with recent tests showing that mate has lower boot ram usage and LXDE lower overall after usage.

>>53572919
XFCE does something bad to benchmarks - different benchmarks show XFCE being among worst.

I've a very old DE not so well managed lately, at this point gnome 3, kde, lxde, mate have the best results with lxde and mate being top.

I find mate looking optimal.
>>
>>53572919
If you want cutting edge packages install arch then put mate or w/e de you want into it - it'll be more up-to-date than 16.04 - just stick with that learn the basics until 16.04 official release...
Actually you'll have to choose, Fedora 24, ubuntu and many others scheduled big releases in 3 - 4 months.

I would suggest Fedora if you want up-to-date stuff out of the box - but their repo servers suck ass, no matter how much you try it will download slow as fuck - try maybe you'll have better luck .
>>
>>53572943
And most people who play games do so on Windows, which isn't exactly resource-friendly.

Also, resource-usage and speed are 2 different things anyway.
>>
>>53566691
>bloated
Installing base and base-devel is bloated?
>>
What is the breakdown of the following command?

lspci -nn | grep Network
>>
>>53566691
They're not bloated - they're just meant for different situations - just follow based on what you have in front of your eyes, you will later come back if you have problems and be happy that all that info is there.

You lack the proper discipline to go trough them.
>>
Does anybody know if Terminator supports images? I know you can set an image as background but I mean rendering images as required by ranger/feh/w3m.
>>
>>53573426
the terminal that comes with lxde is better than terminator.
>>
>>53573426
Just tried it: It sort of works, but I don't use that feature of ranger enough to know how it's supposed to work at its best.
>>
>>53573307
What do you mean breakdown? It's two command, first lspci and you are filtering that resulting output with grep.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.