[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Architect Linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 7
File: architect_linux_01.png (13 KB, 637x477) Image search: [Google]
architect_linux_01.png
13 KB, 637x477
WTF happened to it? It's disappeared, community is baleeted. What did I miss?
>>
>>53561925
Wow, you're right. Forums,Sourceforge, and Google+, all gone! That's pretty sad, they had a good thing going.
>>
File: ebin.png (1002 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
ebin.png
1002 KB, 1366x768
>>53562067
Thanks to that one dumb normie with youtube channel

Anyways, Casual Archniggers BTFO
>>
I've still got a copy, but it sucks to use. I think they updated it and messed it up and now they're doing a rewrite that's not working yet.

Just use the arch guide or archbang.
>>
So let me get this straight. He ragequit like an 8 year old because some dumb fag didn't like his installer? Good riddance then, I guess.
>>
>>53561925
just use archboot
>>
>>53562358
Now that the Architect is gone, what's the best installer?
>>
The thing that worked for me and it fails now.

Welp, back to OSX.
>>
>>53561925
>2016
>Hosted on Sourceforge
People still do that?
>>
>>53562397
What didn't work while manual installation?
>>
Just use minimal antergos, jesus.
>>
File: 1458166051741.jpg (519 KB, 2170x1070) Image search: [Google]
1458166051741.jpg
519 KB, 2170x1070
>>53562394
antergos or manjaro
then its helmuthdu
https://github.com/helmuthdu/aui

but he wanned to quit maintaining it long ago...

but why not just doing it yourself?
>>
>>53562444
Can I get the white one? I need to save this
>>
>>53562457
that vertical one?
that one has no xorg nor DE
I did not save it but searching for /flt/ in archive should bring it fast
>>
Antegros work for me
>>
>>53561925
so that's why my architect install refused to download shit when installing

>>53562420
antergos is buggy shit, I couldn't even get it to install
>>
>>53562699
This. The Antergos installer glitched out and messed up. It's shit.
>>
>>53562457
No you don't, it's riddled with errors.
>>
>>53561925
>Hosted on Sourceforge
the fuck?! people still use that shit site?
>>
>>53562271
Why dumb? Because the fucking installer is shit?
>>
>>53562271
>unironically using the term "normie"
Recess is over you fucking pleb
>>
>>53562699
>>53562849
Antergos installer wouldn't work for me too. After I finally managed to install it I was so disappointed at how much bloatware was included with the installation despite Antergos supposing to be "vanilla" arch.

Architect is the best vanilla arch distro that exists.

>>53562891
It's sad. I was looking for a download of a program called YAD (for mpv) because I couldn't install it from the aur for some reason. The only place that the source was hosted at was sourceforge and sourceforge was down that day.

Anyone notice that sourforge is starting to be down more often?
>>
arch has been shit for a while now:

>systemd
>installer scripts removed in favor of intentionally inconveniencing the user because it's the ''''''arch way''''''
>AUR easily allows malicious software, no checking is done by the community and people are free to upload AUR scripts that simply download and run a random binary. some of these end up in main arch repos too.
>>
>>53563051
>systemd

still leagues better over the depreciated init system it replaced. and every other alternative is even worse

>>installer scripts removed in favor of intentionally inconveniencing the user because it's the ''''''arch way''''''

except installer scripts were more of a hassle and caused more problems anyway.

not to mention that arch is piss easy to install now. the "hardest" part is partitioning, and that's only because Parted sucks ass compared to cfdisk. outside of that it's LITERALLY just mount > pacstrap > install bootloader

>>AUR easily allows malicious software, no checking is done by the community and people are free to upload AUR scripts that simply download and run a random binary.

probably the only valid complaint here. but at the end of the day it's entirely up to the community to police itself, since these are COMMUNITY packages.

> some of these end up in main arch repos too.

[citation needed]
>>
>>53562904
Kill yourself
>>
File: 1448516230854.png (48 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
1448516230854.png
48 KB, 500x282
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oncwnuMPQlQ
The Linux mythbusting faggot killed it
>>
>>53562444
Don't use this guide
>archlinux.fr and yaourt
Go fuck yourself, don't expose noobs to security risks. I wouldn't use yaourt but if you really do
$ wget https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/snapshot/yaourt.tar.gz
$ tar xzf yaourt.tar.gz
$ cd yaourt && makepkg
$ sudo pacman -U yaourt*.pkg.tar.xz
>>
>>53562271
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x72CANa6X6k
wew lad
>>
https://web.archive.org/web/20160315172657/https://sourceforge.net/projects/architect-linux/files/
>>
wget archfi.sourceforge.net/archfi
>>
>>53562271
>>53564650
The guy in the YouTube video did nothing wrong. The autistic developer was in the wrong.
>>
>imagine being at computers
>>
>>53564507
What other AUR package manager compile and install the program for you??
>>
>>53564936
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_helpers
scroll down and check, pacaur is a good alternative
>>
>>53564936
literally every single one
>>
>>53564947
Is the functionality of pacaur similar to that of yaourt?

I guess I'm wondering why you don't like yaourt yet you like pacaur
>>
>>53564786
i mean yea he didn't do anything wrong, but it's obvious what his problem was.

using his "old configs" from a previous version broke something in his fstab file. just boot into the install medium, chroot into the install and inspect/fix the fstab file. that's it.

So he wasn't in the wrong, sure. he stuck his issue in the appropriate section of the project's G+ page, and he wasn't an asshat about it either. But at the end of the day it technically wasn't even an issue that belonged there. But the developer just went full autism
>>
>>53561925
HAHAHA NOW YOU FUCKING DUMB WIN-CUNTS HAVE TO ACTUALLY INSTALL ARCH HAHAHA
OH GOD MY SIDES
OH GOD MY SIDES
OH GOD MY SIDES
OH GOD MY SIDES
OH GOD MY SIDES
OH GOD MY SIDES
OH GOD MY SIDES
>>
>>53564982
https://sourceforge.net/projects/architect-linux/files/?source=directory

files are all gone. RIP Architect
>>
>>53562967
>Anyone notice that sourforge is starting to be down more often?
This, sadly.
>>
>>53565025
Ah got it. I thought Arch was short for Architect. Never used that distro anyways.
>>
>architect linux
>architec linux
>archite linux
>archit linux
>archi linux
>arch linux
Confirmed.
>>
great news, maybe arch can go back to being a sekrit club now
>>
>>53561925
>Architect
>rchitec
>chite
>shite
>>
>>53565175
A sikkrit club? Ever since they removed BSD-style init and having to actually install and configure your system almost from scratch instead of just launching a few scripts? Arch installation nowadays is so easy a braindead monkey can do it, it's not even fun anymore. It's a good thing they stopped preaching KISS. a while ago because it sure as fuck ain't KISS anymore.
>>
>>53565025
>>53564706
>>
>Arch
Literally worst Linux distro.
>>
>>53563051
>autism
>autism
>autism
that's some solid logic you got there anon.
>>
>>53567336
Meant for
>>53563164
>>
>>53563051
I admit you got a point.
What distro would you recommend then?
>>
>>53567877

windows 10
>>
>>53561925
and here we are with another full retarded normie shitpost
>>
>>53562271
>gigantic normie using an Arch installer
>calling normie a Windows user
>>
File: 1458329203783.gif (2 MB, 300x196) Image search: [Google]
1458329203783.gif
2 MB, 300x196
>>53564507
that wont work, you are missing package-query?

Also its funny how adding reputable repos in other distros is absolutely normal, but now in arch its a sin... while you are getting access to AUR
Also who said anything about noobs?
>>
>>53568036
Go away, shill
>>
>>53568202
Literally why the fuck would you enable a fucking repo for something superficial as an arbitrary AUR helper?
0. Download a browser
1. Just go and find "packer" in the AUR from your browser
2. Download a snapshot and open relevant directory
3. $ tar -xvf packer.tar.gz
4. $ cd packer/ ; makepkg -sri
DONE
>>
>>53568202
>adding reputable repo
It's unsigned and unencrypted retard
>>
>>53568271
because its easier and theres more stuff than just yaourt there?
and you as well fucking skipped the steps of getting through the dependancies with your method, so write it not as 1.2.3.4. but as while function

thats why you are getting yaourt and hope to fix with it, but hell yaourt has own dependancies

and you know last issues with package-query 1.7 was broken? Well guess who avoided them? users where repo was in charge and not just yaourt itself

why do you have a fucking stroke over this?
did you not have PPAs in ubuntu based distros? like seriously?
didnt you have 3rd party repos on fedora or opensuse? Cause you sure had then fun with multimedia.

and the biggest laugh is that you are getting AUR pacakages but you are whining here about a repo?

>>53568331
Because getting AUR packages is safer?
and I think you can go through bother to get its signature and add it as signed
>>
>>53568346
What dependencies? (Assuming you already installed base-devel). And why isn't downloading and installing easier than writing down a repo in the pacman config?
>>
what was it and what did it do?
>>
>>53568373
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/package-query/
>>
>>53568410
Packer doesn't need package query you shit-for-brain fucktard
>>
>>53568416
ah, yeah, I dont care about packer, thought we talk yaourt
it does not show me comments from AUR when I am getting the package
but I used it as my first helper for like 6 months, its allright
>>
how the fuck will I install arch now
>>
>>53569599
https://github.com/helmuthdu/aui
>>
>>53561925
Magnet link?
>>
>>53569599
wget archfi.sourceforge.net/archfi
sh archfi
>>
>>53569844
HOLY SHIT THIS MUST NOT EVER BE UNDER RATED
>>
>>53569599
go back to a fucking noob distro like you should be using, fuck off we don't need you people using our distro there's plenty of pleb distros
>manjagay
>noobuntu
>antergay
>debsjw
>mint
>>
>>53570148
>muh elite distro
the only reason I used architect is because X is a piece of shit and refuses to work properly
>>
jep^=^
>>
>>53570160
>the only reason I used architect is because i'm a giant faggot pleb
FTFY
>>
If it doesn't work don't fix it
-Freetard logic
>>
>>53570148
Implying that installing arch makes you some computer genius
>>
>>53561925
>not using aui
>>
>>53570176
>I love editing other people's text to put words in their mouth even though they didn't type it
oh ok
>>
yeah^=^
>>
>>53561925
you could just, y'know, install arch normally
>>
>>53570250
this.
the majority of comments in th G+ page went on this direction.
A terrible mixture of extremely pleb attidutes and wannabe anon.
>>
>>53570250
So much this
Arch is not a distro for beginners, but it doesn't make you an expert either.
And thats coming from an arch user.
>>
File: arch installation how-to 2x.webm (3 MB, 958x754) Image search: [Google]
arch installation how-to 2x.webm
3 MB, 958x754
let me repost this, arch install in 4 minutes

if you can't figure out the installation, then you will likely run into problems maintaining it later on
>>
mkdir /mnt/gentoo && cd /mnt/gentoo && wget -O- ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/gentoo/releases/`uname -m | sed "s/i.86/x86/;s/x86_64/amd64/;"`/current-stage3/stage3-`uname -m | sed "s/i.86/x86/;s/x86_64/amd64/;"`-2014*.tar.bz2 | tar -xvjp && mirrorselect -s4 -b512 -o >> /mnt/gentoo/etc/portage/make.conf && mirrorselect -i -r -o >> /mnt/gentoo/etc/portage/make.conf && cp -L /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/ && mount -t proc proc /mnt/gentoo/proc && mount --rbind /sys /mnt/gentoo/sys && mount --rbind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev && chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash -c "source /etc/profile && emerge-webrsync && emerge --sync --quiet && emerge --sync && emerge net-fs/curlftpfs sys-apps/kexec-tools && mkdir /media/debian-ports /media/hurd-i386 && curlftpfs ftp.debian-ports.org /media/debian-ports && mount -o ro,loop -t iso9660 /media/mirror/debian-cd/hurd-i386/current/debian-hurd-2013-i386-NETINST-1.iso /media/hurd-i386 && kexec --type=multiboot-x86 --command-line='priority=low TERM=mach-gnu-color desktop=xfce' /media/hurd-i386/boot/kernel/gnumach.gz --module /media/hurd-i386/boot/initrd.gz 'initrd \$(ramdisk-create)' --module /media/hurd-i386/boot/kernel/ext2fs.static 'ext2fs --multiboot-command-line=\"\${kernel-command-line}\" --host-priv-port=\"\${host-port\" --device-master-port=\"\${device-port}\" --exec-server-task=\"\${exec-task\}\" -T typed gunzip:device:rd0 \"\$(task-create)\" \"\$(task-resume)\"' --module /media/hurd-i386/boot/kernel/ld.so.1 'exec /hurd/exec \"\$(exec-task=task-create)\"' || exec /bin/bash"
>>
>>53564650
I can't fucking DEAL with people like this. When something doesn't work after repeated runs of the same procedure, how hard do you have to hit your head to not think of maybe changing the fucking procedure?

Like, this "I did what I think should work, clearly this is your problem now dev" is dumb as hell, especially when there are so few of these people. They never even consult bug submission guidelines or troubleshooting guides. They're just loud blowhard idiots who fill YouTube channels with useless prattle.

And they fucking wear me out as a FOSS developer.
>>
>>53571278
they're used to dealing with companies, who have to cater to these types of people for their own sake
>>
I might try Arch, but I have a question:

How difficult would it be to set up virtualbox with Windows 7 on that? I need to set up some VM to use adobe tools. Regardless of what you might think, they work well enough for me.
>>
evolution installer works fine
>>
>>53571364
virtualbox is in the repo or you can install virtualbox oracle binaries from the AUR. it's fairly easy to setup and win7 works great in it.
>>
>>53571417
Nice. Would you say Win7 is better of an option than 8.1? I've been wondering since the RAM usage is the only thing that kind of concerns me. I'll be using Cinnamon and I have 8GB of RAM so it might not be too much of an issue, but I wonder if I'll end up needing swap.
>>
That's what you get for using an obscure distros only used by 6 people
>>
>>53571458
8.1 or 7 is only a matter of personal preference. With 8GB RAM you will be fine, 4GB for linux, 4GB for the VM. I only have 4GB on my laptop and 7 can run with 1GB in the VM.

I'd stay away from cinnamon bloat, use lxqt if you want a nice modern but lightweight DE.
>>
>>53571472
This isn't a distro, newfag.
Get your shit together.
>>
>>53571278
Fucking this. The dev's do not get paid, its THEIR free time and people are entitled children
>>
>>53571606
Right, it isn't a distro, it's much worse. It's a tool for faggot normies to fit in and stoke their false sense of superiority without actually having to be barely educated in the very basics of GANOO LEENOCKS architecture.
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.