[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wayland Arch Distros
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2
File: menu.png (866 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
menu.png
866 KB, 1920x1080
http://hawaiios.org/
http://papyros.io/
http://www.maui-project.org/
what's up with these? why are there so many? I've seen more around IRCs n shit but I can't recall any others.

> because it looks nice, anon
why don't they just package it as a DE/gtk-theme, then?
>>
DEs are for normies, so they have to package it in a normie-friendly format. How hard is that to grasp?
>>
File: 1458306083286.jpg (80 KB, 443x388) Image search: [Google]
1458306083286.jpg
80 KB, 443x388
>>53553247
>DEs
>for normies
you are quite the autismo good lad
>>
>>53553279
>WM is for autists
You dont deserve to use linux if you are just going to take the easy way out.
>>
>>53554457
Lol u sound like every little kids out there talking about Linux like u some masterclass linux user
>>
>>53554457
WMs are made to be easier and faster to navigate
>>
>>53554506
>lol u
>u
discarded

>>53554519
>im retarded
>>
>>53554543
>muh arch+i3
Why don't you code fizzbuzz for the 100th time
>>
>>53553228
>systemd as a dependency
Into the trash
>>
>gtk-theme
Those projects use Qt because GTK was a mistake.

If you're using a GTK-based environment in 2016 then you deserve to be laughed at.
>>
>>53555411
Gtk might be flawed, but I'm yet to come across a good Qt based DE.
>KDE Plasma
lolplsno
>>
>>53554457
>muh sekrit club
>>
>>53555509
Hawaii Shell from the OP is a real thing. You should try it some time.

(I have to explain that it's real because Papyrus is still just a joke.)

There's also LXQt (replacing LXDE because GTK was a mistake) and Lumina (brought to us by the BSD crowd).
>>
>>53555611
I haven't seen anything particularily convincing for me to try Hawaii. What features does it bring?
LXQt has potential but still has a long way to go.
Lumina is functionally just a weaker LXQt.

Once somebody does a rewrite of Xfce for Qt then maybe I'll listen.
>>
>>53555178
>systemd is bad
Sperg more.
>>
>>53555678
Go to bed lennart.
>>
>>53555654
>I haven't seen anything particularily convincing for me to try Hawaii. What features does it bring?
It's a DE designed from the ground-up for the Wayland meme, instead of being a DE designed for X and then half-assedly ported to the Wayland meme.

Lumina is THE non-deprecated modern era environment for people who don't want to be tied down to the SystemD meme.

Xfce is dead, I'm sorry.
>>
>>53553228
maui-project is the project that develops hawaiios. Maui being the DE for the hawaii distro. Papyros is muh material design bullshit (and I've never been able to find it in a working state). I was able to run hawaiios once but it was pretty barebone at the time and development is slow. It's the one I'd be most hopeful for.

As to why there are 2 (aka "so many, kek") is that wayland works completely differently than X11, you have to actually write a compositor and it's a really hard task to have good features, performance and maintainability while retaining X11 compatibility while also providing a wayland compositor. They are significantly lighter and start from scratch compared to gnome/kde.
>>
>>53555178
Maui doesn't inherently require systemd although it makes use of its features when present. As long as they don't couple too hard, it should be alright.
>>
>>53555716
Cool, now try without buzzwords.

And Xfce dead? 4.14 is coming, better prepare your mangina.
>>
>>53554519
DEs include WMs, this is non sequitur.
The point of DEs is that they bundle software that is allowed to be tightly coupled (see: using konsole-part for yakuake, hence the same settings and states are conserved; or using kate-part to rename files, so you keep your keybinds and rendering options; or kdeparts for firefox-like browsers; or krunner being able to interact with other KDE programs to provide rich actions like "decrease volume 10%" or "set brightness to 5", as well as bookmarks, text, dictionary entries, kcalc outputs, etc.). This provides a significantly higher-quality experience over WM-only. Even beyond the examples of integration already mentioned, there is no good PDF reader beside okular and atril in 2016 on GNU. Everything else is bloated, slow, memory-hungry, ugly, options-free and inaccurate at best.
>>
>>53555786
Hawaii is a DE designed from the ground-up for Wayland, instead of being a DE designed for X and then ported to Wayland.

Lumina is THE modern era environment for people who don't want to be tied down to SystemD.

Better?
>>
>>53555817
>Better?
No. In its current state, why should I use Wayland over X? Can I trust Hawaii not to be a bugged up piece of shit?
Pretty sure the only DEs that actively ask for systemdick up their asses are Gnome and KDE.
>>
>>53555859
>Can I trust Hawaii not to be a bugged up piece of shit?
In my experience, absolutely not.
>In its current state, why should I use Wayland over X?
If you only have intel hardware and don't mind only being able to have 5 windows open at once.
>>
>>53555859
If you don't want to try it then don't try it. Simple as that.

But don't tell me that there are no good Qt DEs if you won't try them.
>>
>>53555969
I've tried multiple iterations of KDE, Trinity, LXQt and Lumina. Then there's Hawaii and what else?
>>
>>53555786
>And Xfce dead? 4.14 is coming, better prepare your mangina.
Do you know how much progress they've made on their roadmap?

0%

https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.14/roadmap
>>
>>53556077
To be fair, 4.12 also took over 2 years to make
>>
After all these years wayland still looks pretty shitty
>>
>>53556053
>trinity
Buggy shit (for obvious reasons), but still the second best current DE (mate being best).
>KDE
4.11+ is reasonably usable, has few bugs (you shouldn't encounter any in normal operations), is quite fast and relatively light. It has fuckloads of useful (non-rice) features.
LXQt is still too buggy for actual use because it's still in development.
Don't know about Lumina.
Hawaii is sleek and light, and has access to KDE programs thanks to the KDE5 program split. However, it's too buggy for current usage and development is slow. Maybe in a few years it'll become the best.
>>
>>53556155
It's still unusable. Gnome is still the only environment that fully supports it. It still has nodrivers for nvidia and AMD drivers are shit.
>>
>>53556119
https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.12/roadmap

Planning Phase: 2012 April - 2012 May
Extended Planning Phase: 2012 May
Dependency Freeze: 2012 May
Development Phase: 2012 May - 2015 February

The development itself took years, but the dev team made considerable progress BEFORE the development phase.

How much progress has the team made on 4.14?

Zero.
>>
>>53556211
>considerable progress BEFORE the development phase
>planning phase
>planning phase #2
>dependency freeze
>>
>>53556252
What's your point?

4.12 did in a month what 4.14 hasn't done in a year.

4.14 is dead.
>>
>>53555654
Xfce-Qt would be interesting if they ditched gtk for qt
but from what I see from Lxde would be difficult
>>
>>53555716
>le xfce is dead XD

Didn't that meme die after version 4.12 was released
>>
>>53556346
It was a meme for 4.12 because the developers actually worked on developing it.

Developers began developing 4.12 after one month of planning.

Developers have not begun developing 4.14 because they still have not done the planning.

4.14 is not being worked on.
>>
>>53554457
Please don't say this kind of shit. It's the year of the Linux desktop. GNU/Linux is for everyone.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.