[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Computer Sciece majors/Those with a job in the industry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 133
Thread images: 12
File: image.jpg (51 KB, 792x612) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51 KB, 792x612
Describe how your work day is

Your pay

Do you enjoy your job/ was the degree with it?

Advice

I'm studying CS in Septemebr and I'm quite excited about it!
>>
Boomp
>>
Don't do it
>>
Studying CE and got my first job at the company of my internship. They give me a lot of freedom to research new hardware and wireless techniques, but most of my collegemates would be content with being codemonkeys
>>
>>53552198
>patted down by security
>enter office that smells strongly of indian spices
>read 4chan for 8 hours
>program in java for 15 minutes and make a commit
>read 4chan for 3 more hours
>go home to an empty house and order a pizza
>>
>go to work
>do nothing for 2 hours
>sit in meeting
>eat lunch
>do more nothing
>maybe crap out some Javascript
>go home

I work for an insurance company. My degree is in cs with a focus in computer vision.
>>
>>53552875
>>53552790

I would kill myself if I was in that place desu. (And it is possible I will be). Codemonkeying on HTML+CSS would be a living hell.
>>
>>53553097
80% of cs ends up like this.
>>
>>53552790
Minus getting patted down, this is what my day as a security guard is
>>
>CS grad employed as software engineer for a startup
>some days are very tough, barely have time for lunch, mashing on my keyboard all day
>some days i literally write 2 lines of code and then go get trashed with coworkers
>i'm given a lot of autonomy, just so my work gets done they don't care what i'm doing throughout the day
>coworkers are usually very intelligent and interesting people (unless you're in web dev)
>get paid well
>>
System Admin

Describe how your work day is
>Arrive at workplace
>Check servers and databaseto make sure everything is running smoothly
>Check ticket queue to see if there any urgent issues at the office that need to be addressed
>Address those issues, otherwise just browse the internet on my laptop
>Go to lunch
>Come back to office and repeat
>Go home

Your pay
>74k a year

Do you enjoy your job/ was the degree with it?
>Yes, I enjoy my job and the degree was worth it

Advice
>Get a degree and certs, so you can stand above the rest of the applicants and gives you room for advancement
>>
>>53552198
Get 2 years experience and quit and work with HP as support or something. CS degree is a joke
>>
>>53552198
I have a semester left but I already have a offer lined up. I'm getting paid 100k base with 15-25k in other compensations. Make sure you do internships.
>>
>>53552198
>I'm studying CS in Septemebr

For the love of God don't! Switch to any other real major.
>>
1400e a month. I spend my days doing vba script on ms access applications and interacting with middle aged women. I don't hate it but it objectively sucks.
>>
I have to add im 20. So if I do an internship I will finish age 24. If I don't I'll be 23.

Is this too late? Will CS still be in demand?
>>
I work as a field technician. I make decent money my paychecks come out to anywhere between 800 and 1200 bi-weekly. I am at the moment a computer engineering major and still a student but many of the people I work with are computer science graduates. I'd like to find a job in development instead of Maintenance or service.
>>
>>53552198
Dear god no, CS is a dead end

t. CS grad
>>
Thank you to all those brave souls keeping my paycheck so high by discouraging everyone from doing cs.
>>
>>53552790
patted down when entering but not leaving? how many times has that office been shot up?
>>
>>53553718
Is IT a real major?
>>
>>53553880
Don't worry, their spots will be filled in by Indians
>>
>>53552198
>Describe how your work day is
Arrive, Standup meeting, code for a few hours, lunch, code a bit more, go home. A game of darts or ping pong usually happens somewhere in the day

>Your pay

>Do you enjoy your job/ was the degree with it?
Love it. Good coworkers and decent pay for the region

>Advice
Learn web development, go full stack

>I'm studying CS in Septemebr and I'm quite excited about it!
Be prepared for lots more math than you had anticipated
>>
>>53553920
Not if you want to make money. CS is fine, but don't expect to use most of what you learn in the real world. You'll need to teach yourself by doing.
>>
>>53553931
Most companies are now figuring out how bad they fucked up by outsourcing. Indians and Chinese can't code for shit, and fixing their mistakes usually ends up costing the company more than just doing it in-house.
>>
>>53552198

>arrive at office 7AM, check tickets, solve tickets, lunch, solve tickets, go home 4PM

>32
I'm not American, we make less money over here, it's a standard middle class income.

>do whatever the fuck, idk
>>
>>53554143
My company just fired 300 people to Outsource the IT Department to an Indian company
Excuse my typing I am trying out Google Voice
>>
Management Information System major here. I'm a software consultant, been doing it for four years (since getting out of college). I make $85K base + $15.5K bonus (estimated at 100% payout, usually payout is 100-120%) for an expected total compensation just over $100K. Not bad for my age.

I don't code, although I sometimes take a brief look through code. I do a lot of troubleshooting/analysis of problems and strategy/architecture assessments.

I travel a lot (I did over 120 flights last year, all US domestic) but that also gives you a ton of miles/hotel points/rental car points for vacations. It also keeps your expense fairly low (for four days of the week you aren't paying for meals, and you can keep your apartment/home/condo temperature well away from comfort temperatures). Sometimes the hours aren't great but overall I enjoy it.
>>
>>53554383
My company did the same about 3 years ago and started regretting it last year. We've slowly been rehiring local people with more strict requirements. Nothing ever got done or done right with the outsourced IT. It was always slow and painful to use them and usually it only served to waste time.
>>
>>53554143
It's still pretty popular to outsource unfortunately, Infosys et al are bringing tons of people in on H1-B.

>>53554383
what company are we talking about senpai?
>>
>>53554491 here
waitaminute, I remember a 300 number being in the news recently. You working for Hertz?
>>
File: splat_mii2.png (510 KB, 600x573) Image search: [Google]
splat_mii2.png
510 KB, 600x573
>Your pay:
~78k, i think

>Do you enjoy your job
yes. but if you're not into computers or programming and just doing it for the money, you'll burn out real quick.

i think the same could be said of any job you take that doesnt hold your real interest.

>was the degree with it?
id say so. i have a few co-workers who dont have a degree (even though they're just as competent as i) and they always regret it. its worth it to me, just to have that peace of mind knowing that i wont have to go back and "prove myself".

>Advice
you can make a LOT of money in the DC area coding for govt. contractors and doing simple entry-level coding. however, your co-workers will be around that level of competence as well (idiots).

ive held like 4 jobs as a programmer. currently working from home for a small company. typical day (when i have work):

>wake up, brush teeth, go to my workstation, login
>check email for any emergencies.
>continue coding/testing on whatever assignments i have.
>take breaks if i feel like it.
>~30m scrum meeting towards the end of the day over skype
>log my time, make sure i get paid.

typical day (when i dont have work):
>wake up, brush teeth, go to my workstation, login
>play splatoon
>>
>disinterested 19yo CSfag
How the fuck do you become passionate about programming/technology?
I'm just passing classes for no good reason.
>>
I have 1 year to go before getting my Master and I was thinking about continuing to get a Ph.D, I was thinking about AI or Data structures as a speciality.
Or maybe I should just get a job and end it?

I'm in Italy, so finding an IT rlated job is almost guaranteed.
>>
>>53555277
Either it comes naturally or you're in the wrong field.
>>
make about 40k salary
23 years old
work is variable, go in when I want, sometimes do 12hours and work 55hrs for the week, other times work like 6hrs for the entire week.
make investments on the side which net's me a couple more 1000s a year.

Love my job, make more than most of my similarly aged friends that went to WAY better schools, have zero credit/student loan left after only a few months of working. I'm creating software right now I think can make the company money and might make me a few more 1000s a year. I also took the lowball so I could get my 2 years experience, after that I'll make about 50k minimum with my investments churning in another 10k a year, another 5 years after that I should bump up into specializations that net me 100k+ minimum

>biomedical engineer
>>
> work from home
> code / organise work until 10:50
> scrum / standup until 11 using hangouts
> starting to organise myself via slack with the guys on my team
> code
> eat
> code / meeting
> more coding / testing
> shut down pc and living the life

senior full stack dev - £55k/year

no degree - started to work as developer at 18 (got 28 at november)
>>
>>53555277
Programming is not for everyone.

Perhaps you could get a biology degree and start your illustrious career as a bartender.
>>
>>53555450
also, standup should be at 9:50 but I'm working from Italy so it's +1 hr
>>
>>53552198
>Get in around 9-10
>Interview a candidate and give them negative feedback because they can't into recursion
>check the language processing job I started yesterday
>hopefully it didn't crash and shows a good speedup over the last one without quality loss
>lunch
>go through 50 emails, only two of them important
>investigate a report that another job is failing for a new domain
>code a fix and send it for review
>start some jobs to gather more data to help precompute the bottlenecks in my pipeline
>start job with changes, make sure they don't immediately fail
>try and fail to get my team to go out for drinks
>go home and drink by myself

>Your Pay

>Do you enjoy your job
I've been working on this pipeline for a year and a half. It was very interesting at first, but I feel like I've learnt what I can from it so it's time to move on

>was the degree with it?
Yes

>Advice
- Practice interview coding, especially recursion
- Make sure you have a portfolio
- Never join a company running in the red
- Never join a company that doesn't ask you to demonstrate your coding skills -- if they don't ask you, they don't ask anyone, and you'll be working with people who can't code
>>
>>53555447
LOL. Making 10k a year from investments with a 50k salary. OK buddy. Sure.
>>
>>53555500
Nice digits.
>>
>>53555558
>>53555555
Nicer digits.
>>
>get to work at 8:25AM
>make coffee to take edge off hangover
>go to 20 minute standup meeting where we tell each other the things we already know we're doing
>open change request log and assign a couple to me
>lie about easy 15 minute fixes being complex so that I can spend most of the day doing fuck all because most of the change requests that aren't bugs are from marketing promises and angry clients and they blatantly contradict each other so we just develop in circles
>get told we have to work the weekend not because there's anything important to do but so the mysterious upper management thinks we are busy
>do a commit and go to bathroom at 5:50PM and quietly ninja out of building hoping people don't notice I'm gone till later
>get home and eat whatever, drink what's left of the fifth of whiskey from last night and pass out to sleep for the night
>next morning notice boss' luxury SUV in the parking lot
>locks are changed
>some random person got laid off for "restructuring" again who just happened to be one of my few down to earth non dipshit co-workers that I enjoy working with

41k/year

Programming is a mistake get a job shoveling horse shit or something
>>
>>53552198
I'm not a CS major anymore, but I'm doing an internship I got from when I was one.

> pay
$17.50/hr

> average work day
We have a ticketing system (basically a giant to do list if you're not familiar), and my boss assigns me tickets, and I do them. The tickets I get can be anything from testing features (did a lot of that the first month) to debugging features to writing features.

It's pretty laid back and fun. I spend a lot of time reading code and documentation because we have a huge code base, but I enjoy reading that kind of stuff. In my line of work, even with the experienced programmers, the majority of our time is spent reading and thinking.

>enjoy?
Yes, very much so.

>worth?
Sort of? It gave me a good start, but I had to learn the really important stuff on my own.

>advice
Do an internship. You learn so much more in the field than you do in classes.

Take the time to learn how to code well. I see a lot of students struggling so hard to keep their heads above water that they never actually learn to swim.

Take notes on everything you learn/do in a plaintext file. This is more applicable in the real world, but there's a shit ton of stuff to learn, and not enough time to memorize everything. Keeping notes in a searchable file saves so much time in the long run.

Start using Linux and get good with the command line. Linux is an invaluable skill in the real world, but even if you end up in a field where you don't use it, using the command line gives you practice manipulating your computer by typing text. And really, what is programming besides manipulating your computer with text?

Have fun. If you keep with it, you'll probably be doing this the rest of your life. Getting burnt out in your first four years is not recommendable. That's why I'm switching from CS to math. I hate the CS major at my school but love programming, and nothing they can teach me is worth sacrificing my passion for.
>>
File: kreator.png (1 MB, 646x632) Image search: [Google]
kreator.png
1 MB, 646x632
>pic completely related
>>
File: 1363970976709.png (58 KB, 429x410) Image search: [Google]
1363970976709.png
58 KB, 429x410
>>53552198
>working
>being a wagecuck
>>
>>53553515
Getting certs doesn't make sense if you want to become an actual programmer. It will just make employers think that you only want a job in IT.
>>
>>53555718

wow i can't fucking believe how close this is to my day

is the whiskey scotch?
>>
I'm just an intern; I haven't fully finished my CS degree yet, but...

>go into work whenever I want as long as it's before the standup meeting
>grab some coffee
>standup meeting
>work on whatever I was working on yesterday/grab something new from the tasks list
>do whatever I want for the most part as long as I get something reasonable done every week or two
>work work work
>go home

I make 48k and I enjoy it... I'd say it was totally worth it. It's casual, self-driven, and I'm happy. They want to keep me on when I'm done, too.

My advice is to take a good mix of theory and practical classes, and totally avoid anything that's easy credits or worthless. Take a couple extra math courses to improve your thinking, too.

The most popular style question I've received in interviews is, 'what are you working on right now?' or 'what have you written that you're really proud of?' or 'what open source projects have you contributed to?' Start working on a portfolio in your first year, and start contributing to open source early and you'll have no trouble finding employment.
>>
>>53555893

Nope usually jim beam white label or some canadian whisky, I do like cheap blended scotch like islay mist 8 sometimes though
>>
I'm 24, currently doing my masters in CS and hopefully going on to do a PhD. I'm in the networking field (in particular opportunistic networks).
>>
Anyone do data science work here? I'm about to graduate with a major in CS and a minor in stats and am really interested in data science. Although most companies only want people with masters degrees and I don't feel like going to school again quite yet.
>>
>>53553404

Goals right here
>>
>>53554491
Fossil, we make watches.
>>
>>53556248
>fossil
>google it
>Fossil is outsourcing to Infosys
Fucking Infosys. They are the worst culprit of bringing in guys for cheap and having them displace americans for much less pay.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3004501/h1b/proof-that-h-1b-visa-abuse-is-rampant-in-tech.html
>>
>>53556271
So far they suck monkey ass but the leadership ain't going to admit mistakes they'll keep throwing money at them until they start understanding how stuff works.
>>
>>53556315
Well you have to keep in mind when you have a contractor you don't have to pay any benefits like health or retirement, those usually cost about 30% more than a worker is making. So you can hire two indians for the price of an American, and you have a head to choke if they fuck up (it wasn't my fault, they said they were going to do it right).

It ends up costing the business money but a lot of businesses are penny wise, pound foolish when it comes to this sort of thing.
>>
>>53552875
You sound like me. I also work at an insurance company and that's my normal day. Coding bootcamp though.
>>
File: CS.jpg (96 KB, 650x369) Image search: [Google]
CS.jpg
96 KB, 650x369
>>53552198
>CS
>job
>>
any Haskell fags?
I wanna work with Haskell so bad
>>
>>53553404
>(unless you're in web dev)
kek of the thread
>>
>>53552198
i make rougly $60k a year running a computer repair shop, and I don't even have my degree yet
>>
>>53554580
Washington DC?
>>
>>53555917
This is pretty much my experience. I was $20/hr + housing for my summer internship, had the option to drop school and work for them. Honestly the company was pretty boring, but I learned a ton. Getting a similar internship deal this summer with a much cooler company, so I'm pretty excited.
>>
Didn't like studying so dropped out of university instead. 2-4 flights a week, develop infrastructure and applications on AWS for a cool tech company. €46K a year, unlimited holidays, new top-spec MBP every year, allowed to smoke weed in the office. Oh and I'm 23.
>>
>>53555468
>220k
So basically two silicon valley salaries. k.
>>

Wake up, commute through super heavy traffic for an hour. Get soda and some snacks at local shop. Fire up computer and surf for about 2 hours (4chan, reddit cancer), chat with friend. Work for about an hours, write few emails and make few offers, take lunch break with coke zero and shitty sandwich. Go back to surfing. Time to go home but I stay for another hour because of horrible traffic. Drive for an hour through shitty traffic to home. Leave DD car at home and pop into offroader. Drive to near by shopping mall. Get coke zero and some snacks, drive to be bank of local river away from people and watch youtube videos or a movie on phone. Come back home fire up BF4, get another coke zero and play till I get tired, go to sleep. Repeat.

>Your pay

$12k/year after taxes, medical/dental and pension. Shitty slav country.

I hate it, it's nightmare. You don't have to do anything so you chose not to, years pass by and nothing ever changes.

>Advice

Get university degree, it makes big difference later, learn at least one language besides english. Work out and do some running. Don't save too much for later. Money is easier to get later and you have only one youth so spend on yourself while it still matters.
>>
>quite excited about it!

Yeah I was young and dumb once too
>>
Ask someone who got disillusioned with the embedded industry and went back to uni to do a PhD anything.
>>
File: 1457576098042.jpg (46 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1457576098042.jpg
46 KB, 600x800
>>53552198
Product Manager
$125k starting + 67.5k vesting per year plus benefits. Start in July. Excited too.
>>
>wake up at 07:30
>get ready and leave at 08:40
>get to office at 09:30
>write AngularJS and PHP for 3 hours
>have lunch and die a little inside
>continue for another 4 hours
>want to die
>head home
>microwave meal
>hang self
>repeat
>>
>>53557167
PhD on what?
>>
>>53557085
My base salary is $130k (with 7 years of experience).

$220k is with bonuses and a years worth of vested stocks.
>>
>>53557185
Well, broadly speaking: computer science

More specifically, device sharing using memory virtualization in PCIe
>>
>>53557192

In my experience most people on boards and forums are very poor so what are you doing here?
>>
>>53557228
Plot twist: It's not USD
>>
>>53557167
>>53557217
What kind of devices are you working on sharing?

>>53557228
I'm a shitposting manchild :^)

>>53557241
It is though
>>
>>53557245
>What kind of devices are you working on sharing?
Any PCIe device. Disks, GPUs, NICs.
>>
>go to work at 5:30am
>feed cows
>put fresh straw in straw beddings
>much out or wash machines, clean up the place and prepare feed for the next day
>in busy periods i do other stuff, but this standard routine

i love my job, and while there is no degree to it, it does require 4 years on a trade school, in this country

advice? lets see, cows constantly plot to kill you, no matter how cute they look.
>>
>>53557271
Sharing how? Multiple hosts accessing it at the same time? VMs or separate machines?
>>
>>53552198
Wake up at 9
Get to the office by 10, breakfast
Check emails / news
Code a bit
Lunch
Code some more / meetings / news
Dinner
Go home

>Your pay
140k + benefits like annual bonus (15% min) and stocks (~30k / year)

Yes and yes. I just turned 30.

>Advice
A degree is mostly worth what you do with it and how much you personally invested into it. It's not the alpha and omega of someone's competence. I have co-workers with no degree or just a bachelor's, they're just as good. Depends on the person, really but I really enjoyed university.
Another piece of advice, I screwed my immediate post high-school education choices. Keep in mind that it's okay to fuck up. You might learn a few things from that kind of experience.

>I'm studying CS in Septemebr and I'm quite excited about it!
I hope you enjoy it. Remember to also have fun while you're young and have more free time.
>>
>>53557307
How stupid are you?
>>
>>53557167
How hard is it to go from working in the industry 2-4 years after undergrad to grad school?

I've always wanted to go into research, but it'd be nice to take 2-4 years to relax, pay down my loans, save some money, etc. before throwing myself into academia.
>>
>>53557326
They're probably smarter than a memer like you, let's be honest
>>
>>53557326
What?

I've seen projects for sharing storage devices between separate machines using a shared PCI-e bus.
>>
>>53557307
>Sharing how?
Extending the PCIe fabric into multiple root domains using NTB adapters, using the IOMMU to isolate devices and remap IO addresses and having a Linux driver that does some software magic "beneath" the OS.

Can't go into too much details until my paper is published because of patent reasons, but basically we make devices in remote hosts appear as if they are local.

It's sort-of like MR-IOV, except we don't need MR-IOV aware devices and drivers which is a huge benefit.

>Multiple hosts accessing it at the same time?
One at the time at the moment, my long term goal is to make a manager or scheduler that is able to assign devices to hosts and release it back into the "pool" of available devices again, using some clever scheduling algorithm.

>VMs or separate machines?
Separate machines and soon multiple VMs (either local or remote) once the company I work together with implement drivers that work with Qemu and Xen.
>>
>>53556422
>yet
doesn't sound like you need one

open a second shop and that could be 100k a year
>>
>>53557352
>How hard is it to go from working in the industry 2-4 years after undergrad to grad school?
I had to accept a drastically lower pay and went from working 9-17 (9am-5pm) to basically working my ass off... Especially before paper deadlines.

But then again, I have a _lot_ of freedom. I can use my time almost as I want, working late or early or whatever. I also get to dig down deep into specific things that interest _me_, and not what clients are willing to pay money for.

In my case, I worked full time while doing my master's (3 years) so I only worked 1/2 year before going back to school. I think if I had gone to school and then worked 3 1/2 year after school, that I most likely wouldn't have gone back.

Sorry for my broken english.
>>
>>53557370
>I've seen projects for sharing storage devices between separate machines using a shared PCI-e bus.
Yep, it's very related to what we do.
>>
>>53552198
>Come into work
>View cases assigned to me and fix them
>Test shit of others
>Design out feature for next big release
>Present design to whom ever

Order may change but thats about it. For only going to school for 18 months and to make 50k im not unhappy. Do feel like a monkey sometimes though.
>>
>>53554117
Please pay attention to this post if you want a future.
>>
>>53555277
If you don't enjoy what you're doing then you shouldn't be doing it. When I started programming I was occupying a lot of my time to making things for fun.
>>
>>53557741
>>>53555277
>If you don't enjoy what you're doing then you shouldn't be doing it
Bad advice

Enjoying what you do is a bonus, but if everyone just did what they wanted to do rather than what they needed to do, then no one would work as janitors or cleaners.

There's only so much space in the world for liberal arts majors.

>>53555277
If you're able to force teach yourself programming, then do it. But maybe thing about changing major to something you enjoy? What about other STEM fields, physics? Chemistry?
>>
File: 1457745223427.jpg (49 KB, 681x681) Image search: [Google]
1457745223427.jpg
49 KB, 681x681
>>53557306
Please tell me your just trying to post random shit to be funny, and don't actually work on a dairy farm. I hate my life, and the last thing I want is to know someone here is enjoying it more than me.
>>
>>53554088
>Learn Web development
Are you trying to fuck these guys over?
>>
>>53557885
Why? Explain.
>>
>>53557885
Full stack web development is where the jobs are. You can get a job developing non web applications, but those are few and far between or end up in pajeet-land
>>
>>53557917
He's a basement dweller who hasn't held a job before.
>>
>>53556337
>penny wise, pound foolish
Never heard of this expression but I like it.
>>
File: you mad.png (608 KB, 668x472) Image search: [Google]
you mad.png
608 KB, 668x472
>>53556271
You do know Infosys and most companies like them are owned by Indians right? No surprise they hire their own over Americans.
>>
>>53557741
>>53557783
Whether I like it or not, I fell for the CS meme and I'm going to have to stick to it.
I've tried forcing myself to like it.

I don't enjoy anything anyways.
This is why I ask, what do you all see in it?
How do i get to like it?
>>
>>53558283
>This is why I ask, what do you all see in it?
>How do i get to like it?
I just like computers and understanding how they work.

>inb4 computer engineering
CE deals with how circuitry makes computers work, I'm more interested in the abstract concept of computational devices and their future potential.
>>
>>53558087
I'm aware of that, but the way they're doing it (displacing american workers for lower paid guest workers) is not legal.
>>
>>53556484
not him, but yes, he's talking about (washington) DC

ALTHOUGH the only caveat is DC is very expensive. You get paid a lot, but prepared to spend a lot. It's like living in California or NY. But with DC you can live in a nice area of Virginia or MD for cheaper and still commute, but driving in DC is ass.

source: I go to a flagship university that is just outside of DC for CS and was surpised at how expensive things were since I came from a small town up north
>>
>>53553404

Worked for one of those once. It was great until they ran out of investor money before launching a product :-(
>>
>>53558899
It's not actually perfectly legal, as long as they can prove they tried to hire Americans. Of course they don't try too hard, plus American don't want to work for them anyway since their pay is usually shit.
>>
>>53559274
They lie about trying to find american talent, and lie about the prevailing wage for the job. The problem is, as the law is written, the government has basically zero capability to enforce the law.
>>
>>53559291
Even if the government wanted to, they'd just argue "muh bottom line".
>>
>>53559344
It's largely been about the rumored "STEM" shortage that Facebook, Microsoft, et al tell everyone we have.

http://www.gao.gov/archive/2000/he00157.pdf
>Better Controls Needed to Help Employers and Protect Workers

>Despite the H-1B program’s success at helping employers bring in highly skilled foreign workers, Labor’s limited legal authority to enforce the program’s requirements and weaknesses in INS’ program administration leave the program vulnerable to abuse. Delays and administrative problems have also led to inefficient service for employers using the program. Under the law, in certifying employers’ initial requests for H-1B workers, Labor is limited to ensuring that the employer’s application form has no obvious errors or omissions. It does not have the authority to verify whether information provided by employers on labor conditions, such as wages to be paid, is correct. Moreover, some of this same information is reviewed again by INS during its assessment of employer requests for workers. Further, Labor has limited authority to ensure that employers are actually complying with the law’s requirements after the H-1B workers are employed in the United States. Unlike under other labor laws it enforces, Labor generally cannot initiate enforcement actions (such as conducting investigations and subpoenaing employer records), even if it believes employers are violating the law.

Politicians argue the shortage is real because lobbyists are paid to "sway" their interests. And some people wonder why people would look at Trump (who hates the H1-B program) or Sanders (same on this issue).
>>
>>53559395
While I do agree that the H-1B program is wantonly abused, i'm not so convinced it is as huge of a demon politicians make it out to be. The cap per year is just too damn low for it to be such a significant contributor to unemployment. Plus those >100,000 visas have to be shared between new and old applicants AND their spouses.
>>
>>53559576
1) There are 65,000 H1-B visa applications issued per year to people with a bachelors degree or less. This excludes an additional 20,000 applicants who get in on master's degree. It also excludes all offerings by academic institutions for positions.
2) 65,000 visas get issued per year, but this excludes spouses, who get an H-4 visa as a dependent (spouse and children under 21 are eligible).
3) 65,000 visas get issued per year, but the visa gets issued for three years.
4) 65,000 visas get issued each year for three year duration (195,000 effective over three years, excluding higher ed, spouses, children, and academia), but renewals do not count towards the cap, which doubles this.

Close to 400,000 people (excluding masters degree & higher, and academia, which have substantial numbers) do impact the workforce. Rubio wanted to triple this, Cruz wanted to increase it by 5 times until he saw Trump's popularity.

3x the number of correctly filled applications were submitted in 2014 for a cap of 65,000. 2x of correctly filled applications were denied off of lottery so infosys could get people in at $60k/yr to displace american workers.

The answer is not to eliminate H1-B but regulate it so it can't be cheaper than American jobs. If no truly qualified American talent exists, you pay the premium to import a guest worker. If you're fucking with the system, you get kicked out.
>>
>>53559395
What is the reason for the "limited authority" from Labor to ensure employers' compliance to H1B requirements?
>>
>>53561360
Lawmaker's unfortunate or deliberate making labor have a lack of oversight.
>>
>>53561373
Oh so it's Congress fucking up once again? I suppose asking why they haven't fixed it is a stupid question.
>>
>>53561436
Most congresscritters follow industry lobbying instead of american interests.

Sanders and Trump have opposite aims in many ways, but they both loathe the H1-B program as it stands for the same reason.
>>
>>53558283

Not him, but College is taking the passion out of me enjoying CS considering I just study or work on assignments 24/7. If I didn't have to do unnecessary work and worked at a comfortable pace I think I'd be ok
>>
If you can't get a job and blame H1B visas, it's time to reconsider your shitty life.
>>
>>53561447

Whose interests?
A larger applicant pool translate into more competitive businesses, especially when theyre hiring from abroad rather than simply outsourcing.

If there were no American interests involved there likely wouldnt be american businesses hiring lobbyists to that effect.

Some people will ccomplain about competition from foreign workers in service industry but simultaneously buy cheapest products, those are produced abroad and also cost americans manufacturing jobs.
>>
Couldn't get a job after graduating so I'm doing PhD now.
I-I never liked office job anyway!
>>
>>53561827
I'm a filthy immigrant in glorious 'Murricah but I think jobs should go to US citizens / permanent residents first. If you have to import a worker, he has to be paid the same as a US employee.
The issue is that most business abuse the system by hiring cheap workers on H1B. These workers accept because they come from shitty countries and don't have the same standard of living as most Americans. In turn, this lowers wages for everyone else.
People buy cheap imported products because they don't have a choice. They're not paid enough to afford buying American.
>>
File: 1398530103986.jpg (56 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
1398530103986.jpg
56 KB, 640x960
checking alarms, clicking around cacti to see if shit is about to get fucked, wondering if Fortinet TAC already updated my dozen of tickets, nopes. Browsing some snooker forums and adding a new subnet to a vpn connection.

about 80 euro's a hour.

Hell yeah.
>>
>Work day
Tedious deadlines, firefighting ridiculous software bugs in code that should never have been written
It's not all bad though we're doing some really cool shit in the transport industry

>Do I enjoy my job
I fucking love my job

>pay
£35k -> dollars $50648.45
This isn't bad since i've only been out of university for 2 years, the pay scales quite well
>>
>300k starting
>new grad
>typical day, wake up, turn on pc, go to 4Chan /g/, shitpost

That's all I have to do to earn 300k. I live life on easy mode.
>>
>>53563508
What is your official job description?
>>
>>53563688
bullshitter? troll? are you dumb?
>>
>>53556372
That's a good filter. That's "Only ACTUAL CS degree holders need apply; strip mall community college bullshiters are free to apply to the Starbucks across the road"
>>
>>53552198
Wake up at 9
Drive (best 10 minutes of the day desu)
Start work at 10
Spend all day in a unix terminal coding mundane stuff, have superiors yell at you, go through painful processes to make even the smallest changes because gov contract
Off work at 10, get home feeling like shit, eat some quick meal, watch anime, masturbate, sleep

$40k
>enjoying
>a job
enjoy your final years of neety freedom as much as you can
>>
>>53552198
arrive at work, drink caffeine, work a bit, get dragged into meetings, after meeting decide 30 minutes isn't enough to actually get anything productive done and go on youtube, get dragged into another meeting, find 1.5 hours of free time and actually get something done, go home.

>Your pay
100k + equity

I enjoy it when I actually get to do something productive and not be burdened by bureaucracy and overhead, or get stuck fixing problems other people created. A degree being worth it really depends on the school you're going to and how good their program is.

>Advice
Always ask how something works, and have the drive to go learn how it works. Do this for a few years and you'll be smarter than 90% of your competition. A degree is unnecessary if you do that. I can't begin to tell you how laughably bad some ivy league cs grads are, who come into an interview thinking I give a shit about the name of their school, and struggle to explain how basic things like a call stack work.
>>
File: img12.jpg (71 KB, 622x261) Image search: [Google]
img12.jpg
71 KB, 622x261
Get to work at around 10 AM. Check if I got new emails. Check JIRA to see if there are new tickets that were assigned to me. Open up the IDE. Get ready for scrum.
Scrum. Make some small notes about whats going on in the scrum.
After scrum, get back to my desk. Send out an email about what was discussed during the scrum. Get ready for lunch.
Lunch.
Get back at around 12:30 PM.
Check emails again. Start working on the ETL module, and on the visualization for reporting. Work on that for the rest of the day. Test out the module and while it's running, go on Facebook/reddit.

Every other Monday is usually filled with meetings, because that's when our sprints start. So I don't usually get to code. But work is still a lot of fun because I get to know what I'll be working on for the next two weeks. Sometimes I have no idea how to even start it, but I still manage to get it done.
Every other Friday is the most fun. After lunch we have our sprint demos (for some reason I find this fun), and each team showcases what they worked on for that sprint. Then after all teams demo their stuff we are allowed to do whatever we want. We can work on the next sprint's items, or we can just watch YouTube/Facebook/reddit. Some of us just chill out in the meeting room. Most of us just clean up our code and make sure that the build isn't broken for the weekend. We leave like around 4:45 PM.
On a typical weekday, I'll probably be working for about 3-4 hours. Throw some breaks in there, and some walks, and some snacks. I'd leave at around 6 PM.

>Your pay
$25/hour.

I enjoy my job, and yes I think my degree was worth it (compsci)

>Advice
Don't be one of those bitter guys at work that complains about every story/feature request, that "it's getting ridiculous". It kills morale of your coworkers. If you don't like what you're working on then just find another place to work. Good luck.
>>
>>53559274
They "prove" they tried to hire Americans by giving recent college grads calls asking if they have 20 years of iOS programming experience, are willing to move to some remote location at their own expense and work for $30,000 a year. I get calls from these fucks every day.
>>
>>53561827
That competitiveness only benefits the upper management. For everyone else, it's the race to the bottom and if we have to directly compete with Indians for jobs, our salaries, work conditions and overall quality of life will begin to resemble that of India. Is it really worth it to be competitive if even people with degrees are shitting the streets and groveling to take skilled jobs for three-figure salaries while the executives who got us there continue to get richer?

There are other ways we need to be more competitive, like how we protect workers and the few products still made here. Asian countries are notorious for their protectionist policies. Japan perhaps most famously banned the import of American cars until recently, while the US government did nothing to keep its auto workers from going out of work. China manipulates its currency to ensure a certain number of Chinese products go to the US and a certain amount of American money goes to China. Though there's not much in India an American might want, you can bet the Indians protect what little they have from any displacement by American workers or products and even their most corrupt politicians fight tooth and nail to keep it that way. While the average foreigner may laugh at our geography knowledge, the elites laugh at how our leaders are so stupid and corrupt, they don't see how the foreign companies game our system and when they do, they allow it to happen.

One last thing, American companies aren't the only ones hiring lobbyists. Some of the most influential lobbies are foreign, including Indian. Our leaders are even flagrant about it because most people don't understand the issues. Hillary Clinton who was a leader in the Senate India Caucus once joked about running for the senate seat of Punjab because she was such an advocate for Indian companies like Tata and Infosys.
>>
> check in at 9am
> ocaml for the 8 hours
Financial
150k+

Pretty much the best job i could have hoped for. The stack we use is just an extasy to work with. Did internship as part of thesis, got hired.

Always negotiate. I negotiated 80% better deal and i'm not even particularly good in my job
Thread replies: 133
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.