[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
git thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: git.sh-600x600.png (38 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
git.sh-600x600.png
38 KB, 600x600
I want to make software, but I don't want it associated with my main GitHub account. If I push, pull, and clone from my PC using GitHub for Windows, will there be information in the .git file or any other files that reveal my computer is the one being used for the commits?

Is it possible to doxx someone just from git commits?

If GitHub for Windows is more likely to reveal me I could just use it from the command line, but I prefer the GUI.
>>
>>53547638
Obviously I won't be using my main GitHub account for any of this.
>>
The only case of someone getting burned from using git that i can recall was some pedo who put his .dotfiles on github and in his .bash_history were things like cd'ing into and watching cp.
>>
>>53547677
Well there obviously isn't going to be anything illegal in this repo, it's just that I don't want it coming back to me. I checked out the .git folder in another repo, and it has my username in it and a bunch of numbers that I don't know the meaning of.
>>
>>53547709
change your global .gitconfig
>>
commits have a name and email (from your git config) associated with them. also don't commit files that could dox you. that's all you have to worry about
>>
>>53547742
>>53547709
Also be careful when using GPG keys to sign your commits.

And of course, GitHub itself knows your identity.
>>
>>53547721
>>53547742
>>53547750

Where is the global .gitconfig file?

It sounds like if I change things, it could fuck things up for my real account. Would it be smarter to just do all of the development in a Linux VM with a fake name? That way there would be no chance of files mixing.
>>
>>53547765
i don't know where it is on windows, but on linux, it's /home/<user>/.gitconfig

Also, github ties your commits to your account using the email address associated with your account
the email address you're signing your commits with has to match, i think.

why is anonymity so important here?
just make a second github account and make another windows user account and develop from there with a separate .gitconfig
>>
>>53547795
It's in C:\Users\User\.gitconfig.

Since the file has no name, I would probably have to create another Windows account to avoid mix ups.
>>
>>53547638
My computer is called MYREALFIRSTNAME-PC. Will this information ever show in my commits if I make another Windows account on this computer and use it to work on the software I don't want associated with my name?
>>
>>53547937
i grepped through one of my repos and i found my username in the .git files somewhere, i don't know how it got in there, but whatever dude

why is this so important to you?
>>
>>53548002
Because this software is related to trolling reddit users, and that's not something I want future employers knowing I worked on.
>>
>>53547677

My fucking sides. Tell me you have the link to that repository.
>>
Okay, am I retarded, or where the fuck did Github's search field go?
>>
I just use smartgit, I was able to contribute to a ss13 project using an entirely different account at the same time as working on my actual account, the two never intertwined.
using ssh keys helped a bit I'd wager.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.