[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is battery technology so slow to innovate and relatively
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
File: batterycharge-capacity.png (16 KB, 550x320) Image search: [Google]
batterycharge-capacity.png
16 KB, 550x320
Why is battery technology so slow to innovate and relatively stagnant?

What is the next big breakthrough for batteries and when can we expect it?
>>
not everything can be like transistors
>>
17 May 2019
>>
Supercapacitors
>>
because batteries are old tech

in 50 years they will be saying the same thing about computers

>hurr how come they can't make atomic transistors smaller
>>
>>53547078
Friction batteries built around fucking your mother.
>>
>>53547147
Friction is a nonconservative force, anon.
>>
>>53547078
If it's so easy, why don't you make a better battery?
>>
>>53547078
>how do I make a thing that doesn't explode but magically stores large amounts of chemical energy and releases it uniformly so your circuits don't fry.
Gee I wonder why.
>>
Producers realized that consumers don't want their phones any thinner and faster, they just want more fucking battery capacity. So producers do the opposite, and use battery to control planned obsolescence
>>
>>53547078
Because atoms are way harder than bits. Lithium air and lithium sulfur are promising. Also methane fuel cells.
>>
Ask Elon Musk
>>
Mostly because of patents blocking others from using their tech when you can combine multiple things held by patents that would increase battery life some would be drastic increases some would only marginally increase battery life
>>
Fucking kids these days "wahh I want everything right now also for cheap please XD "
>>
For mobile electronics or laptops, definitely aluminum batteries.

Shit, even in electric cars (albeit too much was invested in lithium infrastructure to switch sails now). They're smaller, charge faster and are non-combustible.
>>
Because batteries have already gotten far better then they were. Back in the 90s, laptops still used SLA batteries.
>>
File: 1378702746034.jpg (105 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1378702746034.jpg
105 KB, 800x600
because its largely a chemical reaction, you can't just shrink that shit down.

To give an analogy, imagine we had some moronic battery made out of baking soda and vinegar, you get power by mixing the two together.
More soda and vinegar = bigger battery, releasing vinegar slowly = longer lasting battery. So how would you increase how much power you are going to get out of that chemical reaction without increasing the size or increasing how fast you add vinegar ? you see the problem now, that is why its so difficult to to simply make batteries better.

There are billions of dollars at stake here, people are trying very hard, yet most year we only must 2-7% increase in power density.

Be happy with the incremental gains you are getting every year without even noticing.

There are breakthroughs every other months, but sadly they never seem to make it out of the lab.
So don't hold your breath on any of them.
>>
FUEL CELLS
>>
>>53547676
fuck outta here grampa
>>
File: nuclear-battery-um.jpg (34 KB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
nuclear-battery-um.jpg
34 KB, 700x394
Because like anons have been saying, safety and low cost are paramount of importance to consumers.

We actually have batteries that BTFO current phone battery technologies. They are nuclear batteries, specifically betavoltaics which basically generate electricity from beta radiation.

Problem is these batteries are expensive as fuck and for the most part are unsafe for consumer use (beta radiation is ionizing).
>>
For some reason having 1440p on a fucking 5" screen is more important than 10+ extra hours of battery life.
>>
There's no way the dozens of apps that phone home 5,000 times per second with all of your location and personal data can function without draining your battery. Welcome to current year.
>>
File: dsc_0764-s.jpg (66 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
dsc_0764-s.jpg
66 KB, 650x650
I just want fliptop phones back...
I miss them.
>>
>>53547078
Screens are too large. Screen on time is the top killer.
>>
>>53549175
this
my phone will sit with the screen off for days and be fine, but having it on all day nearly kills it
>>
Graphene or RTSC (room temperature superconductors)

Nothing else will make battery technology much better. People just need to accept that phones should be bigger because of bigger batteries if they want to bitch about battery life.
>>
>>53547827
Thank you anon. Explained it perfectly for me finally.
It's a shame really. The illusion of constant technological progress is slowly starting to come apart.
There are simply things that our current understanding of the universe won't allow.

I really do feel that micro generators such as plant photosynthesis will be a better solution to increasing power demands.
>>
try using batteries from 10 years ago to power your smartphones and tell me how long it lasts
>>
>>53547121
SCREENSHOTTED
>>
>>53547121
H-hi Elon Musk, please find a revolutionary way to make batteries better and don't be a jew about it
>>
>>53547078
The day when companies stop releasing bloated shit, while web developers get their shit together, and perhaps change their name to something more fitting, like "web designer who sometimes types code".

Everyone walks around with 00's era supercalculators in their pockets just so they can send each other 160 character long messages. There *might* be something wrong with that. Especially considering a Raspberry Pi is almost too powerful to answer normie's needs, and if we actually looked at their needs, we could still trim a lot of bullshit that they can certainly live without and, wait for it, live better without.

Batteries really are one field that works pretty well; what is broken is everything else.
>>
The future is miniature nuclear fusion reactors.
>>
>>53549341

Fucking stupid argument

9 years ago the original iPhone had a 1400 mAh battery
now an iPhone 6s has a 1700 mAh battery

>try using batteries from 10 years ago to power your smartphones and tell me how long it lasts

ok, it lasts about 85% as long, whats your point?
>>
>>53547078
physics
>>
>>53548418
no need for more battery life when you can swap batteries.
>>
>>53550450
Actually I want those people to keep calling themselves coders. It helps me understand who I shouldn't take seriously.
>>
Imagine, an Apple phone powered by the user's smug satisfaction.
>>
>>53551053
I don't understand what you're trying to prove, but way more changed than just the battery.
>>
File: IMG_20160316_210943.jpg (43 KB, 602x376) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160316_210943.jpg
43 KB, 602x376
>>53547147
>>>53547078 (OP)
>Friction batteries built around fucking your mother.
>>
>>53551413
>way more changed than just the battery
cool??? shame this thread is about just the battery then dumbfuck, did you just stroll in off the front page because you thought I was bad mouthing the iPhone or something??
>>
>>53547078
better than nuclear batteries
>>
GRAPHENE BATTERIES WHEN
>>
Still waiting on my alpha and betavoltaics.
>>
people continue to spend huge amounts of money on phones that last a day. literally no reason for anyone to bother increasing battery life.
>>
>>53552558
Better move to China then because bai gui are scared shitless of anything obviously nuclear.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.