[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm almost 24 and I have no work experience, just student
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6
File: 1438736302249.png (45 KB, 450x367) Image search: [Google]
1438736302249.png
45 KB, 450x367
I'm almost 24 and I have no work experience, just student projects and a couple of my own projects I did in free time (mostly everything in C++). I realize I'm pretty fucked compared to my peers with over a year of experience, but I don't wanna be a NEET when I finish school. I'm an alright programmer, but I'm a failure at life.

How should I go around looking for a job? I'm reading Cracking the Coding Interview and it had some good tips so far. Most companies in my city offer a job in C# or Java, that I know some basics of both of them, should I even try to apply for that or is it a waste of their time? Are employers willing to let me learn some stuff as I go along or do I have to have a good grasp of it already? Or maybe I should just lower my standards and aim for any job opportunity, even an unpaid practice?

Also, what do they mean when they list "good knowledge of .NET" in the requirements?
>>
news.ycombinator.com/jobs
>>
>>53544898
I know where to find job offers, that's not the point of this thread. I don't even live in the US m8.
>>
>>53544938
Feel sorry for you then, anon. Idk, I just searched on jobs site and went to interviews.
>>
File: 1457486885591.jpg (167 KB, 700x558) Image search: [Google]
1457486885591.jpg
167 KB, 700x558
>>53544938
>>53544864
>>53544864
Don't sell your soul to .NET but act logically. If you can master C++, you can master Java. Make a project and approach different enterprises. You will do great if you don't underestimate social skills. It may be a good idea to practice for interviews! Good luck! p.s. yet another site:
https://careers.stackoverflow.com/
>>
>>53544864
Why don't you get a job you white privileged pos.
>>
>>53545356
But I'm trying anon.

So, should I apply for whatever language I'd like to work in or only the ones I know the best? Do I have to have a good grasp of everything or is it acceptable to learn some stuff on the job? I'm asking because I don't want to make a bigger idiot of myself on the inteview.
>>
File: 1311416546239.jpg (13 KB, 271x277) Image search: [Google]
1311416546239.jpg
13 KB, 271x277
>>53545628

Hey man, a piece of advice here from a fellow brother.

If you think you have at least the basics of a couple of the requierements for the jo GO FUKING FOR IT.

Personal experience said that most of the time a good actitud in the interview and solid confidence can make you a solid candidate.

Dont make the mistake of thinking that you are equal to everybody.

Im currently interviewing people for a job on my team (not programing) and i have docens of guys whit years of experience on the field and none of them have the material we need. Today a guy came, whit almost minimun knowledge what are we doing and you know what? i going to fuking call him tomorrow.

I cant teach you from zero man but i cant guide you on what we do and how we do it if you want to learn and you are a team player and that shit its important too.

that just an example, you will never going to know what the fuck they are looking for if you dont go and present yourself.

You will fail a couple of interviews but you will learn what are your strong points and you can work whit that and get better.

Just go, and good luck anon
>>
>>53546976
Not op, but you a good nigga.
>>
>>53544864
btw, how did u get good with c++?
>>
>>53544864
btw, search for in internship, talk with people, look a biz in your area and ask them if they need a program you know, for stock and shit, learn SQL or similar, you know.

HANG IN THERE BRUH
>>
>>53547201
Write simple games (pong) with SFML and code blocks. Lits of tutorials are in google.
>>
>>53544864
Apply for everything you think you could handle. Even if you don't think you could handle it immediately, apply if you think you could be shown the ropes and get up to speed quickly. Don't waste time feeling bad about it either, it's literally all anybody else does and so long as you don't lie about it, you'll be alright. (i.e., be truthful that you don't have experience in it, but also make sure to say it's something you're very interested in learning and that you can pick it up quickly)

Also, side projects are great for this. Spend a weekend using a language that a job would require you to know, and add it to your GitHub profile. This way, you can be more honest about your experience with it.

While some jobs /are/ looking for the more experienced programmer who's ready to hit the ground running, most good employers realize that that's not where anybody starts out. They will train you if they think you show promise, when companies hire they're looking for employees who will be an investment. There's always some cost for them to train a new employee (even if a seasoned developer comes on, they'll have to learn the codebase and how things are done, and won't be familiar with a company's workflow or processes).

Also remember that nobody should be taking a job they can handle fully. If you do that, you're condemning yourself to learn nothing new while you're at the job. That's career suicide; the industry changes too quickly for you to not be constantly learning.
>>
>>53544864
try being 29 with no experience of anything whatsoever
>>
>>53547640
I know that you will succeed! Do your best, anon, its not too late yet!
>>
>>53544864
>Cracking the Coding Interview
>not Elements of Programming Interviews

The fuck are you doing nigger?
>>
>>53544864
>good knowledge of .NET

It's a misspelling of "neet". This is exactly the position you want man, go for it.
>>
>How should I go around looking for a job?
TEACH ME WILL CODE FOR FOOD.
>>
File: 1457406227059.jpg (143 KB, 807x1013) Image search: [Google]
1457406227059.jpg
143 KB, 807x1013
what should i be looking for if i hate webdev, phones, java, MS, and closed source? embedded and sysadmin positions i've seen are for senior 10+ years experience.
>>
>>53550476
>webdev, phones, java, MS, and closed source
you're really limiting yourself there... I'd say reconsider
>>
File: 1440235912837.png (131 KB, 555x378) Image search: [Google]
1440235912837.png
131 KB, 555x378
>>53550494
i'd rather be neet with no future than do any of that. at least i don't end up killing myself choosing to be neet.
>>
>>53550476
Try at least reconsidering Android and Java, since those two are required almost everywhere.
>>
>>53550506
Who the fuck is going to hire someone with no experience who isn't willing to use or learn the biggest technologies/platforms?
>>
>>53550523
who said no experience? it's simply less than the 10+ years that is desired.

and i'd like to believe there is at least some people out there that want to work with non-harmful software.
>>
>>53544864
actually wanting to be a code monkey :D

enjoy long hours of spaghetti, and bad accents.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.