[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Question: Why do developers put .tar files inside .tar.gz files?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 1455180805164.jpg (32 KB, 410x396) Image search: [Google]
1455180805164.jpg
32 KB, 410x396
Question: Why do developers put .tar files inside .tar.gz files? E.g: Nano
>>
>>53543492
>tape archive gzipped

google is hard.
>>
lincucks live in the past
>>
tar is the bundle, gzip is the compression.

so you had to gunzip it then tar x it but new versions of tar will do the decompression for you
>>
tar packages the files but doesn't compress
gzip compresses
thus
.tar.gz
>>
can't gzip a directory
>>
>>53543492
What do you mean? Like, you open the .tar.gz file and there's another .tar inside? I don't know, that's redundant and silly.

If you mean why people use tar and then gzip it, then you're misunderstanding the purpose of tar in the first place, which is an easy google search to find out.
>>
>>53543564
>can't gzip a directory
>you can zip a directory

you can't make this shit up
>>
>>53543492
Why dont they just use a zip or a rar?
>>
>>53543620
It's unix tradition I guess. Zip and Rar are Windows programs anyway
>>
>>53543558
So why dont they just use a format that does both at the same time? Are they retarded?
>>
>>53543620
Doesn't preserve unix file permissions.
RAR is proprietary.
>>
>>53543492
I've noticed 7-zip will extract .tar.gz to a folder if i click extract here, But using Extract Files and selecting a folder it only extracts it to a .tar.
It's not done on purpose just silly linux things.
>>
>>53543674
There is literally no good reason to not use .tar.gz which every basic unix installation has tools for. Use zip, rar, whatever and you need to first install additional stuff

They aren't retarded, you just don't understand.
>>
>>53543769
>you just don't understand

and this is why there never will be a year of the linux desktop
>>
>>53543862
There will never be a year of the linux desktop because of the hundreds of competing distros and DEs. There is no de-facto standard that could become competitive enough.

That poster not understanding unix paradigms has nothing to do with it. It would be like showing a unix guy how windows works, he wouldn't understand it at first.
>>
>>53543911
sorry but using tar and gzip isn't a "paradigm"
>>
>>53543862
I don't know why we'd want a year of the linux desktop. That would mean catering to the lowest common denominator and ruining linux for those who love it in it's current form. Then we'd all have to use openBSD
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.