[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whats the point of using linux? This is an actual question i
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6
File: ubuntu_best_buy_bag.jpg (259 KB, 920x955) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu_best_buy_bag.jpg
259 KB, 920x955
Whats the point of using linux? This is an actual question i am just curious, as i am currently using windows and wondering if there is any reason to switch.
>>
Passion, hobby, learning few (autistic) things
that and security, freedom, all tin foil /pricavy/antibotnet dreams,
yes it's take time, but it's a hobby, that can sometime pay off
>>
>>53541985
Whats the point of using Windows? This is an actual question i am just curious, as i am currently using GNU/Linux and wondering if there is any reason to switch.
>>
>>53542082
Muh games
>>
>>53542082
Well you see, my laptop came preinstalled with windows. But if you want a serious answer, some people view windows as a very gpod business os. But i am not using my laptop for business, I was just wondering if linux is better for casual browsing.
>>
>>53542012
/thread
>>
>>53542082

its a lot easier
>>
File: yyl.gif (3 MB, 190x200) Image search: [Google]
yyl.gif
3 MB, 190x200
>>53542315
> is linux better for casual browsing
>>
Are you narcissistic to the point where you think your privacy matters because you're just doing... y'know, important stuff that needs security?
Linux

Do you actually program freelance, for a company, or anything else that makes you money?
Linux, typically. You can honestly use anything.

Do you play gaymz?
Windows, WINE is cancer.

Is your hobby testing a bunch of open-source garbage that doesn't sell for a reason?
Linux has the best stuff for that. Windows has them, but they're more likely to come with adware/malware.

Do you sort through notes all day?
Windows just because they have the best version of Excel. (Source: I sort through notes as -part- of my job, and almost threw up using Mac for it).

You just gonna watch anime, browse Cantonese salt mining boards and listen to music?
Linux so you can further reach next-level autism by ricing everything. Unless gaymz are thrown into the mix, then get Windows Blinds.

How about something just working? Do you like that?
Anything but Linux.

Do you like the thought of accidentally hitting the corner of your screen, having Hebrew set as the native language and having trouble setting up new keyboards/mice?
Mac
>>
>>53541985
>Whats the point of using linux
Privacy, security, performance, ease of use.

And it's free, both as in "you can see the code" and as in "free of charge".

I fully switched to *buntu when Microsoft started back-porting "security updates" to windows 7.
I tried to do a local search and ended up on the internet. Thanks but no thanks.
>>
>>53542360

>How about something just working? Do you like that?
>Anything but Linux.

What the fuck are you talking about ? Linux is much more stable than Windows...
Arch doesn't define all Linux you know...
>>
It's far better in a practical/technical sense for what I use a computer for.

It makes many things possible at all, or far better for me.

It has more software I want, Windows is seriously lacking in software I need, and many of the software I do use that is multi-platform works (much) worse on Windows, because the software was originally designed for Linux or other Unix systems.

If you know nothing about technology and just use a computer for browsing the web and video games, you wouldn't really understand.
>>
>>53542376
stop talking shit, just admit you love tinkering
> ubuntu user
forget what i said, you are just one of those hipsters
>>
File: 1458232003020.png (70 KB, 509x1607) Image search: [Google]
1458232003020.png
70 KB, 509x1607
>>53541985
Customizable as fuck
+No forced upgrades
+Updates do not take 5 hours
+Low risk of getting infected by malwares
+Fast
+Free
>>
>>53542456
>+Low risk of getting infected by malwares
Unless you use Ubuntu, this crap comes with integrated malwares
>>
>>53541985
The command line. I use it for things like git, svn, ssh, scp. Configuring all these would be a pain in the ass in windows. Also it usually comes with a bunch of developer tools which usually have to be manually downloaded and configured in windows. The command line in my opinion is 10x better than anything windows has. I use both and for development I much prefer using Linux.. But I still have windows on my main PC for visual studio..
>>
>>53542357
That's only because you suffer from winbabby duck syndrome, anon.
>>
>>53542315
>I was just wondering if linux is better for casual browsing.

it's one of the areas that linux excels so long as you aren't tied down by needing some specific software (itunes, ms silverlight, etc) - if you do then windows is obviously the better choice

>>53542359

stay mad winfag power user babby

>>53542453

>hurr linux is only an os for tinkering

>>but I'm using ubuntu

>hurr you're not tinkering what a loser
>>
>>53542423
>It has more software I want
Like what? Name 5.
>>
>>53542315
best OS for casual browsing is Chrome OS
>>
>>53543170
Which is based on Gentoo.
Install Gentoo, OP.
>>
>>53542453
Power usage is a real thing.
For example, I can just type xcalib -i -a and my monitor inverts colors immediately.
You can't even comprehend how much effort this would take in windows.

There are very real advantages to Ubuntu. Do I like messing around with the OS? Sometimes yes. But keep in mind that I only only migrated to Ubuntu now that they actually "just werk". 5-8 years ago they had serious issues with drivers and compatibility. Before 2008 ubuntu was pretty much unusable for daily activities unless you were an EE/CS major.
Not to mention that you couldn't just fix a problem with a quick search. There were no loads of forum posts with the solutions to almost every single problem you might have, like today.
>>
>>53542598
Bash, rtorrent, nautilus, gedit, openbox.
>>
File: Solus-1-0-Solus-Menu-Raven.jpg (444 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Solus-1-0-Solus-Menu-Raven.jpg
444 KB, 1280x720
Alright guys I did some searching around and I found the os that seems the best for me is solus
>>
>>53541985
Windows is slow as fuck, like much more than most people realise until they try Linux. It's hard not to laugh when people have to spend $$$ on SSDs for Windows to be almost as fast as Linux on an HDD (idk why the fuck the kernel is so I/O bound)
>>
>>53544130
Might as well go Ubuntu Gnome, same thing only without deprecated, old packages.
>>
By using Linux you grow marketable skills (devops) every day. If you use windows or Mac you are just being trained at being a mindless consumer. For me its a no-brainer.
>>
>>53541985
If you are into IT then Unix/Linux, if not then Windows.
That's for production & work stuff.
If you like doing stuff with computers then Unix/Linux.
The "it just work meme" fully depends on the user but this applies to Windows as well.
>>
>>53544767
Everyone is a dev now. CS is a meme degree and the more people get into STEM, the more you're seeing an influx of lazy faggots doing computer work. I assure you, your Linux skills are already crashing hard in value.
>>
>>53541985
Well, it's cheaper for one. Switch to Linux and apply for a Windows refund from your PC OEM. They have to give it to you by law, given you're within the refund period.

Second, you can control your exposure to privacy violations more easily on Linux.

Third, you can support the free software movement which is essentially anti-corporate, anti software-patent, and pro-human.
>>
>>53542515
bash >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> powershell
>>
>>53542082
Telemetry
Forced updates and reboots
>>
>>53544767
This is only true if you take the time to learn the system. If your extent of Linux knowledge is sudo apt-get update and ricing, you're not really valuable to the people posting jobs that have "Linux" in the skill requirements. To them, you're just as useful as wincucks and macfags.
>>
File: 1440582619659.jpg (791 KB, 3594x2396) Image search: [Google]
1440582619659.jpg
791 KB, 3594x2396
>buy cheap 350 aud laptop
>get windows licence from registry, use it to install and activate windows on your new gaming pc
>install Fedora on the laptop and setup tlp and powertop.

Use laptop for studying, use desktop for gaming, save $150 on a windows licence.
>>
>>53541985
Why would you use it? Why would you use windows? Who cares, use what you like. It's like asking why would you drive a pick up truck when a car gets you everywhere you need but you see people using pick up trucks. A lot of people who drive pick up trucks don't need one, yet they drive one, some people who actually need vans go out and buy pick up trucks because its murica and people buy shit they don't need. Use what you want/need and don't be autistic about it that is the point. It's like you're asking the meaning of life, just live it dude.
>>
>>53542012
first post, best post
>>
>>53541985
Deploying servers
Protecting your own privacy
>inb4 hurr durr I don't mind the NSA watching my every move
>>
>>53541985
> can't find the /flt/
> don't into t3h googles
> buys retail ubuntu
> any reason to switch?

OP, not for people like you. No. It just .... won't work out for you. Stay in your comfy botnet cradle.
>>
>>53546300
>has genuine windows key on laptop
>he thinks windows wasn't part of the price of his laptop
>>
>>53547578
OEMs pay about $30. I used to work for a refurbishment warehouse that was too cheap to do that. Instead the owner wanted me to track down and use the recovery CDs.
>>
>>53547578
It was, but I'm still saving money.
I have a laptop for studying and a desktop for gaming.

As opposed to spending $150 extra and having only a desktop, or spending a little more and having my own copy of windows.
>>
>>53547600
Good for him, much better to pay a technician to hassle with it than to pay MS any more money, even if it would cost less.
>>
>>53548134
The bigger problem was that what he wanted me to do technically violated M$ terms which could have bankrupted the company if M$ ever found out.
>>
Shilling aside yeah, an OS is just a tool. I use whatever tool works better for the thing I want to do. Like a fucking grown up.

For some things linux leaves Windows so far in the dust that it's just plain laughable (hello command line and data munging). Then again lots of people never need to do shit like that so whatever.

I dual boot with Windows because Windows is generally better for games - plus run a nice Windows VM in Linux with a shared directory for when I need to use Photoshop or something.

Linux is comfy for me, so I mainly use that.
>>
>>53546265
Ricing is hard work though dude
>>
Is there any benefit over Windows for solidworks usage? That's literally the only thing I use Windows for.
>>
Is there any benefit over Windows for solidworks usage? That's literally the only thing I use Windows for.
>>
>>53548240
underrated post
>>
File: 1446969575343.jpg (104 KB, 1141x790) Image search: [Google]
1446969575343.jpg
104 KB, 1141x790
>>53541985
>i am currently using windows and wondering if there is any reason to switch.

Microsoft has backdoored its disk encryption.
https://archive.is/2XIvX

In Windows 10, the universal back door is no longer hidden; all “upgrades” will be forcibly and immediately imposed.
https://archive.is/IVzBA

Windows 8 also has a back door for remotely deleting apps.
https://archive.is/KeUmF

Windows 8's back doors are so gaping that the German government has decided it can't be trusted.
https://archive.is/Z8ItN

Microsoft is repeatedly nagging many users to install Windows 10.
https://archive.is/bwzXF

Microsoft informs the NSA of bugs in Windows before fixing them.
https://archive.is/OBGB1

Windows 10 snoops on the users' files, text input, voice input, location info, contacts, calendar records and web browsing history.
https://archive.is/MBdcI
https://archive.is/QnTTA
https://archive.is/Zny36

Windows 10 sends identifiable information to Microsoft, even if a user turns off related settings.
https://archive.is/sz1nt

Microsoft uses Windows 10's “privacy policy” to overtly impose a “right” to look at users' files at any time.
Windows 10's full disk encryption gives Microsoft a key. https://archive.is/qLRZx

Microsoft SkyDrive allows the NSA to directly examine users' data.
https://archive.is/tW6fu

Windows 10 sends screenshots of your desktop to Microsoft.
https://d2.maxfile.ro/rwspylwbwo.webm
>>
>>53544767
>If you use windows or Mac you are just being trained at being a mindless consumer
lolno
>>
>>53541985
Switching os is like becoming vegetarian.
We are omnivorous so why the fuck do you want to switch?
Just make a multiboot, it's fucking easy with os-proper.

Making such restrictive choices is dangerous for your mental health.
>>
>>53541985
The point of using linux?

Its the difference between riding the train, and driving a car.

Of course you can't appreciate the difference, until you've earned a drivers license and spent a few years driving.
>>
>>53544776
>If you are into IT then Unix/Linux, if not then Windows.
Windows admins exist. 'spcially with things like Active Directory, Exchange, SharePoint, SQL, etc

>>53546183
Subjective. Also, initial searches suggest that powershell (as of V3) handles XML better, but that's also subjective.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.