[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It's 2016! Let's do this.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 9
It's 2016!

Let's do this.
>>
>>53541000
goodbye all value in that field
>>
>>53541171
as if that would make anything worse considering how shit American education is to begin with

if you can get people interested in cs from a younger age it's better for everyone
>>
>>53541000
but that's good
>>
>>53541000
clinton probably just want to shill ipads into schools to push w/e corporate agenda her sponsors have
>>
They do, plenty of online courses on Computer Science.
>>
>>53541000
>implying even a significant minority of people are ever any good in technical fields.

It's not just computers, engineering has a huge drop out rate too.
>>
I'd honestly like to see it implemented more in high-schools.
>>
>trying to make to make the field even more over saturated, lowering the demand and fucking over our salaries
no, the less people are tech literate, the more they need us
>>
His doesn't make sense. You want smart people doing cs, and not braindead everyday normies
The only thing it will do is train a bunch of monkeys to do 30k maintainer jobs
>>
>>53541000
Fuck this "EVERYONE MUST BE A PROGRAMMER" bullshit
>>
>>53541256
Back when I was a kid I just got K&R and learned on my own
>>
>>53541000
giving people access to =/= making them enjoy learning
>>
>>53541000

So what does she mean by Computer Science, "programming" in html or something?
>>
>>53541335
People these days need to be handholded through youtube videos.
>>
>>53541281
>he thinks that an educated population is bad
Greetings from the first world
>>
>>53541000
>it's the year 1000 + 1016 of the lord
>>
>>53541227
Pretty much this. I think you'll find students are taught how to use iBooks and Microsoft office.
>>
>>53541388
Educated in beer and pizza. Not like we need to give a shit about how seriously we take our education when it's 'free.'
>>
>>53541000
What's wrong with that? Are you people afraid you're going to be replaced by drooling retards?

>>53541281
No, the less illiterate they are, the more retarded demands and less money they have and I surely don't have to mention how increasingly difficult explaining becomes the less knowledge they have.
>>
>IT IS THE CURRENT YEAR
>>
>>53541171
Everyone has to take math classes. Hasn't ruined the value of math
>>
>>53541000
gonna make even less programmers than we have today, high school cs classes are notoriously shit

the shit classes are gonna turn off most people from doing anything related to programming
>>
>>53541545
That's objectively false

How many careers exist that are exclusive to math majors? (Hint: none)
>>
File: 1445487196206.png (102 KB, 979x700) Image search: [Google]
1445487196206.png
102 KB, 979x700
>>53541486
>/pol/ is so new they don't remember the >2011 meme
>>
>why aren't people interested in how their shit works ???
>they shouldn't even have the opportunity to be because I want to feel superior

Typical /g/ pointless whining.
>>
>>53541577
How many CS jobs exist that are unique to CS?
>>
>>53541555
This. I came into my high school programming class (Java) already being familiar with programming, knowing a few programming languages and knowing some computer science and it was a fun challenging course. Like 50% of the people dropped the class and at the end of the class there were 8 F's, 2 D's, 5 C's, 1 B and 1 A. It completely turned off everyone in the class who didn't already know programming because the teacher was awful and Java is a HORRIBLE first language. They taught it from an ENTERPRISE(TM) point of view so it was all about money and that's not enough to make someone enjoy programming. If you don't love it you'll never be good at it, which is why I feel secure that no matter how many semi-skilled codemonkeys they throw into the industry, who only know how to program Visual Basic and Java on the latest Windows, I'll always have a job.

I mean, I wish they wouldn't force this on people because I want people to find something they truly have a passion for, but they're being told that what ever it is isn't worth doing because it doesn't pay as much as CS, but there's absolutely no risk to me, there's just going to be a lot of terrible programmers who hate programming and would rather be a carpenter or welder or some other tradesmen.
>>
>>53541617
(You)
>>
I don't see what the big deal is. Sure, it may get some people to try out programming, but most people people will give up after anything more complicated than a for loop. It's not like people are seeing Hilary's tweet and need to google "What is computer science". Shit's already common knowledge. Normies aren't going to take your job, outsourcing will.
>>
>>53541000
It's the 2019. Every student should have access to gender studies classes.
>>
>make niggers and women go into CS
>they flunk
>get called racist and sexist
>>
>using my pic from /pol/
>>
Aside from the stupid "it's 2016" meme, I agree with her. Everyone should have ACCESS to computer science classes. If they're good at it or like it then they can take the class. What I disagree with is forcing everyone to take a computer science class.
>>
>>53541000
>computer science
Lol. Normies can't use a computer for more than 1 day without getting 90 variants of ransomware. Maybe they should have access to common sense classes instead.
>>
> be in first grade
> be expected to program
> can't read
> don't understand grammar taught in 4-8th much less computer grammars
> race suppressors want to throw computers are minorities to keep them retarded

why do idiot politicians do this. i mean i already know: it's to keep people dumb and as a slave-class, but........ it's just an abomination to want to teach kids 'science' and shit when they can't even give them a good primary education, which is the absolute foundation for it.

holy shit why
>>
>>53542064
This. Basically giving normies more tools to fuck their shit up with. You can give a retard access to all the medical training and equipment in the world but they are still not going to be able to perform neurosurgery. All you've done is made them more dangerous to themselves and others.
>>
File: stem.jpg (64 KB, 507x449) Image search: [Google]
stem.jpg
64 KB, 507x449
>>53541000
>no degree whatsoever, learn to program as a hobby, get a web dev job easily, get paid more than anyone else I know to basically fuck around all day on stuff I would have done for fun anyway

>when interviewing I have to do algorithm challenges because CS degrees don't even teach kids how to program, and some CS graduates can't even reverse a string in using pseudocode.

>going into work today, someone next to me on the train complaining to his friend about his £35k student debt and how he has to work for free to get experience because its impossible to find a job in his field.

When will this higher education meme end? I grew up in the 90s, that was probably the last time then "if you got a degree then you would get a good job and won't have to flip burgers" was believable. But kids since then have no fucking excuse for still believing this meme.
>>
>>53541670
Current situation for me. Story time

>last year get convinced to try new CS club
>love it
>get school to give us an APCS class
>incompetent teacher, boring as fuck curriculum designed just so we can pass the ap test and get the school more funds
>class is a fucking joke, taught horribly and in Java
>spend 95% of time taking notes, and only actually program on a computer around once a month
>half the class drops after the semester, class ruined their first CS experience
>the class took everything good and interesting about programming and threw it out the window
>fuck CS classes
>I eventually just bought a python book and taught myself CS
>self learned python, c#, c++, currently learning ruby

Protip, if you want to learn to program, don't take a fucking class, just buy a book and teach yourself
>>
>>53543371
>Protip, if you want to learn to program, don't take a fucking class, just buy a book and teach yourself

Pretty much.

You have access to the greatest information tool in the history of mankind right now and you're using it to shitpost on a cambodian rock gardening bbs.

But many people need to be spoonfed by a teacher, and that teacher isn't going to teach you in a way that is best for your learning styles, they're going to teach you according to their learning styles. So if they learned by reading and copying down notes, he'll stand there and read his notes at you.

If you learn how to learn, then you can find shit that is best for you to learn from. Books are fine, I prefer lectures and conference talks on youtube.

But yeah, the education system was developed over a hundred years ago to meet the needs of industrialization, its so beyond useless now its not even funny. But people have been trained their whole lives to learn by being spoonfed by a teacher.
>>
File: GoodThingHeWoreAHelmet.gif (1 MB, 300x196) Image search: [Google]
GoodThingHeWoreAHelmet.gif
1 MB, 300x196
>>53541545
But it has brought down the quality of math classes.
>>
>>53543371
My APCS class was pretty good. It was kinda stupid though that they stopped teaching Big O notation and data structures besides lists. Same with Algebra II, they didn't teach us matrices, parametric equations, or 3-dimensional graphing. Like if colleges are wanting more and more from incoming students, why are high schools teaching less and less?
>>
File: clinton_enjoying_lunch.png (811 KB, 956x598) Image search: [Google]
clinton_enjoying_lunch.png
811 KB, 956x598
>beleiving anything shillary says
>>
File: 1457405381447.jpg (56 KB, 1380x1054) Image search: [Google]
1457405381447.jpg
56 KB, 1380x1054
>>53543371
At uni I had two good classes, the first teaching principles of computing and intro of algo and data structures with Haskell, the second OOP with Java. I learned much. I kept Haskell and continued to do OOP with Ada (because I could make informed decisions).

I switched uni later. Classes were the horror. All Java. All some stupid OOD / OOP where neither the professor nor his assistants knew what they were doing. No theory, no rationale, no background. A bag of tricks, enterprise-y shit (Beans), all completely unrelated to each other.
This must be how CS is done in India, because most Indian "programmers" I later met worked like that, i.e. no idea what they're doing, just dropping buzzwords and doing things to please their superiors.

Pic related, modern OOP with Java.
>>
I'd rather just have more basic computing courses so people aren't complete retards when using one. I wouldn't mind some computer science integrated with math programs though.
>>
You guys realize she won't actually follow through with this right?
>>
>>53543037
... Why did they all turn into redheads?
>>
>>53541577
>How many careers exist that are exclusive to music majors? (Hint: none)
>How many careers exist that are exclusive to history majors? (Hint: none)
>How many careers exist that are exclusive to astrophysics majors? (Hint: none)
>How many careers exist that are exclusive to marine biology majors? (Hint: none)
>>
File: 1445894093224.png (136 KB, 416x1349) Image search: [Google]
1445894093224.png
136 KB, 416x1349
>>53541209
>>
>>53544128

SJW hair dye.
>>
File: 1457490618203.gif (116 KB, 271x309) Image search: [Google]
1457490618203.gif
116 KB, 271x309
>>53541000
>it's the current year so let's destroy programmer salaries even more to satiate our globalist overlords
This cunt is a fucking traitor and should be in jail right now. I can't wait for the general to see all the attack ads and her getting rekt in a debate by God Emperor Trump
>>
>>53541594
I'm from /pol/, why should I care about some outdated and unfunny meme nobody else remembers?
>>
>>53543037
It depends on what you're looking for right out of school. Everyone with a degree thinks they should be middle management as their first job. A degree gives you a higher ceiling than someone with just experience (obviously if you're really good this can be not true) but doesn't mean you start there. That is the real problem, grads thinking they deserve six figure salaries out of school.
>>
>>53544889
The fuck is PISA?
>>
>>53541000
Having photoshop classes in middle school was what got me interested in tech in the first place.
>>53543371
Huh.

>Take APCS
>It's m'kay. Teacher's annoying though with his "DISCUSS EVERYTHING AS A CLASS" strategy, Also a liberal cuck.
>Learn on Java, we got breddy good computers with Xeons and 27" monitors
>The class is basically UW CSE142 stretched over a full year
>40% hand notes, 30% work through problems with partner, 30% UW coursework
>On the computer 2/3 days

I like growing up in suburbia.
>>
>>53546470
Nearly forget to mention, had to program on iCucks, ended up buying a laptop to boot with Ubuntu to save myself from that cancer
>>
File: shapeimage_1.png (133 KB, 700x551) Image search: [Google]
shapeimage_1.png
133 KB, 700x551
>>53546561
On these things?
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.