[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been using Linux on and off for years finally started
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 4
File: E7bqjet.png (56 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
E7bqjet.png
56 KB, 420x420
I've been using Linux on and off for years finally started using it more a lot more recently so I've installed 14.04 of Ubuntu. I tried a bunch of different OS's like Slackware, CentOS, Arch, Mint, but I always avoided Ubuntu/Unity because it got torn apart online by people (mostly Arch users). Finally I decided to give it a shot and found that I just liked straight up Ubuntu and Unity. It works really well so it got me wondering why do people hate on it so much? Any Linux users here with an opinion?

Are people just scared of changing from a Windows XP style UI paradigm?
>>
>>53540828
I like Ubuntu. It's not free software by the strictest definition, though, and lots of Linux users get into it at least partially because they want a truly free OS.
>>
>>53540828
not a fan of unity

ubuntu over all is too bloated for me
>>
>>53540828
Arch user here, and I don't mind Ubuntu in and of itself (they're all the same thing anyway.) I just hate unity, and I really only run arch because I needed a minimalistic system for my ancient laptop to do school work.
>>
>>53540828
>ubu
I love unity's workflow and Ubuntu jus werks more than most distros. I use arch because I like the bleeding edge but I keep a ubuntu USB for when shit breaks (it has completely replaced the gparted livecds everyone used for the last 10 years.)

People hate on Ubuntu because it the most popular right now.
>>
>>53540890
>It's not free software by the strictest definition

FUCKOFF
>>
>>53540926
You can change the desktop to Gnome or KDE or whatever else you like. You're not forced to use Unity.
>>
It just comes with too much nonsense baseline. I'd rather a distro be minimal and have to be built than just have tons of shit out of the box to clean up.

Tbh it's been like 10 years since I last used Ubuntu, so it may have changed since then? That was my impression of it back then tho.
>>
>>53540828
I don't like some of the default software.
It kernel panic'd on me some years ago, and since then it has been Arch/Manjaro/Fedora for me
>>
>>53541284
What? *I* don't care. Free software fanboys do. I happily use non-free and even straight up proprietary software. Stallman can bite my ass.
>>
What distros are up to date with the kernel?
>>
"I always avoided Ubuntu/Unity because it got torn apart online by people"

Thats you're problem right there.

Anyhow I use Ubuntu on my laptop but I would never put it on my file servers. Its heavy as fuck. Cent OS for that.
>>
>>53541383

>last used it 10 years ago

Then stop bashing it because your criticism is baseless
>>
>>53541715

Ubuntu
>>
>>53543652
No fuck off.

It's Fedora you cunt
>>
>>53540828
I was in the same scenario with GNOME 3. I avoided it because "oh, gnome 3 sucks", but then I needed a modern DE and KDE4 got old (my OS lacks KDE5, for now, and it's not Linux). I don't seem to mind GNOME, but there are some things I could change here.
>>
>>53540828
to be honest i prefer Unity over Gnome 3, and it scales well (reasonably) with high DPI panels, like the one on my laptop. not to mention out of the box Ubuntu has the proprietary drivers i need to get online due to the manky Broadcom WI-FI card in my laptop
>>
>>53540926
This.
I just use fedora 23 workstation edition and its the first time I get the feeling that I'm able to get shit done with Linux.
>>
>>53540926
Unity is really comfy on a touch screen though, Just tried it on my baytrail transformer and I really like it.

Too bad wifi didn't work or else I might have shifted away from Windows
>>
Ubuntu is a great distro OP

Sure you can use arch whatever the fuck you wish. But for me it's been stable. I have multiple de's right now installed with zero isssues. I used to go for super minimal stuff back in day but now i no longer care and it runs perfectly well . I am not talking about unity. but hell. I haven't tried that for years and it is probably not even that bad.

right now digging cinnamon. no longer i need for openbox. things change
>>
Ubuntu is definitely the most comfy distro out of the box, but it's fairly bloated compared to others. Still a hell of a lot better than Windows.
>>
I'm pretty hardcore in CS, programming and hardware (let's say, more so than your average neckbeard autist PC builder. By hardware I mean engineering my own embedded hardware) and I use Ubuntu because it doesn't get in my way when I'm developing something new, which I do often. Also lots of companies use Ubuntu server because it is simple, supported and secure.

Really, arch and gentoo are just hobby Linux distributions for autistic people that prefer tweaking their WM to real work.

Don't let autistic subcultures influence your opinion, anon.
>>
>>53544622
you can always do buuntu mini or even xubuntu minimal which comes without tons of other software. but ubuntu depoends on more dependecies. which means well. most shit just works. I know some people are scared of package number count. no different from registry count on windows
>>
Because they like being upset. Ubuntu is a good, stable distro. On top of that, Unity is a pretty good desktop. The launcher/switcher icons are good, the sidebar saves space, the global menu bar is Fitts compliant. The only thing really wrong is the dash, which is slow and doesn't just start on an 'all programs' view. People think Canonical is sketchy, but the Amazon thing was blown out of proportion. The only real criticism is that it comes with a lot of bloat by default. Noobs don't want the trouble of installing it but pros can just uninstall it, so who fuckin knows what the problem is.
>>
>>53544941
Or they could just do a more minimal install or remove the bloat. but these autists think any package count over 1000 is going to slow your system down somehow.that is all that matters to most. a Wm and low package count. they will avoid using or trying to do other stuff just to not let it grow. I used. I grew up I guess to be one of them
>>
>>53544622
Yeah I don't really care that Ubuntu comes with a bunch of stuff. The less finagling I have to do, the better.
>>
>>53540828
Linux newbie (/flt/ lurker), I like Mint more. Just personal preference, I can't recommend or discourage one over the other.
>>
just installed ubuntu and holy fuck is it choppy. what can i do to make it run better? system is up to date and im using the open source graphics driver because the proprietary ones run even worse.
>>
>>53540828
No clue. I'm an Arch user, and I think Unity is awesome. Ubuntu is a great distro.

>Are people just scared of changing from a Windows XP style UI paradigm

Unity literally looks like most other Windows/Linux DE's except for the added program launcher on the left, so what do you mean by this?
>>
Ubango's bretty good, I just prefer pacman to apt.
>>
>>53544709
This is a lie. I installed Arch once and I'm done with tweaking. After you install it, there's not much difference between Ubuntu and Arch besides "muh bleeding edge". Both operating systems are good.
>>
>>53546273
It's probably just Unity's fault. It's pretty fat. If you're on a slower computer, Xubuntu will run better and it's just as nice.

It would be great if Ubuntu came with a lightweight version of Unity, without compositing or anything. There's that 2d, but doesn't that just run everything on the CPU?
>>
>>53540828
I used mint as a main os for 3 months and on and off for another 3 month before that, and run ubuntu on my work laptop, and I can honestly say it is terrible unity is by far the worst desktop environment out there, I have had to switch to MATE just because unity is so annoying to me
>>
Stupid question, but why does font look so damn good under Ubuntu? It seems like every other distro I try it never looks as clean by default.
>>
>>53546427

it's just something about how linux renders fonts or some shit. a lot of people feel this way. its probably just me but i feel like wallpapers look nicer on linux than they do windows as well.
>>
>>53543151
>>53541383

It is not baseless. It is still bloated as fuck. There's like 2200 packages on a fresh install.
>>
>>53540828
I used it for about six months and I got a shitload of problems with updating it (centered around propriety softwares (flash and GPU drivers I think). So i fucked it off.

It is the best look Linux distro though I'll give it that.
>>
>>53546414
>unity is by far the worst desktop environment out there

What about it is annoying to you? I just set the sidebar to auto hide and it's perfect. Your shortcuts are right there when you need them while giving you a great amount of working space the rest of the time.
>>
>>53546427
Ubuntu ships with their own patches to freetype and fontconfig, these are separate from upstream code and therefore are not included in most distros.
>>
>>53546490
I just want any form of application dock to be at the bottom or top. If I could make it an osx style dock down the bottom I would use it. I am autistic is all it really is
>>
>>53546540

I wouldn't say you're autistic, it's fair to have your preferences and since Unity doesn't allow much customization then it makes sense why you don't use it. You'd think they'd have made that a feature by now.
>>
>>53546583
its all preference, i personally hate unity I know it works for some I am forced on to ubuntu until linux mint updates to a newer kernel. Ubuntu MATE is nice hold over though
>>
I recently switched from opensuse to Kubuntu. Pretty comfy so far.
>>
Ubuntu is the best
>>
Best post
>>
>>53541875
>Ubuntu heavy as fuck
>centos instead

If you compare them both you will see that they use same amount of ram. Debian wins here, no discussion
>>
>>53545000
Yeah, and the best thing is that those faggots use pc with 16gb < of ram and still whine about muh low footprint
>>
I wanna say that you're doing god's work, anon. But Ubuntu? Really?
>>
File: 1458280674451.jpg (36 KB, 632x479) Image search: [Google]
1458280674451.jpg
36 KB, 632x479
>>53540828
I might be an autist, but I gate Ubuntu because of it's name, philosophy, colours and specially that is GTk based.
>>
>>53549810
I agree. I hate the brown, orange and purple colours.
>>
>>53549810

Kill yourself
>>
>>53540828
>Are people just scared of changing from a Windows XP style UI paradigm?
no they just want to feel cool by using a distro that requires more work to set up. In the real world, there are no autists who will lose their shit if you tell them you run Ubuntu. That and people act like the amazon stuff can't be removed
>>
>>53546273
as people have already mentioned it's probably unity. I noticed after switching (to gnome) my laptop battery increased by a sizable amount...
>>
>>53540828
>why do people hate on it so much?
probably because it's the most popular? And because of the amazon spyglass shit.

But it's always sad to see how people complain about someone that didn't install [distro of their choice] and instead opted for [distro that they didn't like]. Hell, at least they are using linux and not windows 10.
>>
>>53540926
Same here, switching to Gnome made it comfy as fuck, almost OSX-like. If that isn't your cup of tea, there are a few tiling window managers that are pretty solid and fun to use.
Using Openbox on Lubuntu for my main machine is also P nice.
>>
>>53541383
This is (to me at least) the only real argument that I could see against using Ubuntu. I love the distro, but I am dreading dealing with cleaning up all the useless shit I don't want/have a use for.
>>
File: 1456477349547.jpg (42 KB, 720x564) Image search: [Google]
1456477349547.jpg
42 KB, 720x564
>>53544838
Using Lubuntu on my main machine and Ubuntu with Gnome on my thinkpad, but I will give the minimal install a go, as I hate having to go through and clean out stuff I don't want.
Thanks anon!
>>
>>53546261
Mint seems nice, but with the recent security flaw in the distro, I would steer clear. B safe anon
>>
>>53540828
There is nothing wrong with Ubuntu/Unity. I just don't personally care for it. There are some things about it that resemble OSX (window controls on the "wrong" side, integrated menus in the taskbar [or whatever]).

t. Debian/Openbox user
>>
>>53541383
I'm the exact opposite (I'd probably be more picky if my my computers were toasters), but I don't have forever to look up wireless drivers, so if I have extra packages that aren't doing anything but taking up space I'm fine.
>>
I am not personally a fan of unity but if you like it, good for you.
I have been using KDE for too long, so the phrase, "there is no option for that", is not something I just shrug off.
Like say you want something more functional than the unity dash, replacing it on any other de would be remove the hotkey, installing something new, assign hotkey to new thing.
But you can't on unity.
You can change and disable hotkeys, but they can't be replaced. Things like that is why I moved away from windows.
>>
>>53540828
Ubuntu is fine for most people. I use Arch though.
>>
>>53553400

Enjoy your hobby distro
>>
>>53540890
Only 3 or 4 distros are Free software by the strictest definition.Arch and Gentoo are both non-free by fsfs standards.I look at stallman as a balancing force, I admire him to some extent,but I would never follow his instructions strictly. Ubuntu is one of the best distros out there,Unity is shit, I personally use xfce, Im just as free as any pretentious Arch user out there.(Arch has its uses,don't get me wrong)
>>
>>53553480
I do all my University work on it but thanks anyway.
>>
>>53553490
The FSF's definition is stupid, though. You can easily install (for example) Debian using nothing but free software if you want to. The FSF is just butthurt because Debian also makes it easy to install nonfree software if you want to.

Ubuntu is actually legitimately questionable from a free software perspective, due to things like GPU drivers and also Canonical's brain-damaged IP policy.
>>
>>53553577
You can avoid non-free software by installing other ubuntus. Mine didn't have proprietary gpu driver pre-installed, so I don't know what you're talking about.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.