[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is /g/ cucking?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6
File: ss4L73m.gif (2 MB, 500x270) Image search: [Google]
ss4L73m.gif
2 MB, 500x270
I've created some polls - please answer. I'd like to see if /g/ is memeing or is serious about free software.
Most of these are yes or no questions.
Please note my mistake in the first poll, if you'd like to call Linux a "kernel", sure, but I meant Linux Distribution.

http://strawpoll.me/7107687
http://strawpoll.me/7107696
http://strawpoll.me/7107722
http://strawpoll.me/7107728
http://strawpoll.me/7107750
>>
Reply after you've voted if you'd like, just to keep the thread alive.
>>
Just voted. I use Windows on one laptop that I mainly use for gaming, and Linux mint on my other laptop which is for media consumption.
>>
>>53540557

do you mean libre / free (as in freedom) software or free (as in beer)
>>
>>53540738
Free as in freedom.
>>
Done
>>
>Yes, but nothing else is better
this proves that there is not a single good operating system, and there never will be.
>>
I primarily use FreeBSD on my desktop, with a Windows 7 install for gaming. My laptop runs a very minimal Arch Linux install.

I try to use FLOSS software whenever possible, but I don't handicap myself if the FLOSS option is definitely worse.
>>
>>53540866
>FreeBSD on my desktop
No, you don't.
>>
File: 20160225_022838.jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160225_022838.jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
>>53540764

Maybe a handful of people here are actually free as in freedom.
>>
>>53540557
>Other
Haiku on PC because project in uni
>>
File: desktop.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
desktop.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>53540929
>implying
>>
>>53541156
>has a drawing of a chinese girl on his wallpaper at all times
>>
>strawpoll doesn't preallocate space for ads
This is why I use adblock, so the elements on the page don't move around while I try to click on them
>>
>>53540866
>>53541156
i am sure you get this question a lot, but i am interested in BSDs
why have you chosen BSD over Linux?

i have tested PC-BSD and it was slow -maybe my fault- and heavy on storage and resource use wise.

why would someone use BSD over Linux?

and if say i wanted an os that would use as little power(electricity) as possible.
>>
I use arch all the time, and windows in a vm for games
It's not the best but it works quite well
>>
>>53541156
>>53541435
i know freebsd is alot more lightweight than PC-BSD but you get what i am trying to ask :)
>>
File: disgusting.png (202 KB, 556x201) Image search: [Google]
disgusting.png
202 KB, 556x201
>>53541156
/g/ might aswell be renamed to /g/aming.
Fucking /v/, shitting up their board is not enough I guess.
>>
File: 4L_WL4aTJbR.jpg (104 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
4L_WL4aTJbR.jpg
104 KB, 540x720
>>53540557
Just voted. I run gentoo nigga!! So comfy watching them binaries compile from source
>>
I use free software wherever i can, but if there is no alternative i use proprietary software. Wouldn't use proprietary software in a security critical enviroment
>>
>>53541532
Well, I play games daily on my Winblows installation and do everything else on Arch. Thats /g/
>>
>>53541547
I have one serious question to you /g/entoomen. How is compiling from source better than just downloading the same binary precompiled? Just because of security?
>>
>>53541547
I'd love to run Gentoo but I'm not sure if I want to waste precious battery cycles for compilation.
>>53541755
Gentoo allows your to tailor your packages to your machine with USE flags before compilation, so you'll get less "bloated" packages.
>>
>>53540764
free as in beer is free enough for me
>>
>>53541435
Honestly, I just installed it because I was curious about BSD and never messed around with it. I've only been using it for about a year, whereas I've run various flavours of linux for ~15 years.

I've found it to be fast and stable, and I've grown to absolutely adore the ports system.

Where I've found it lacking is in support -- a lot of vendors don't support BSD well, and sometimes you may want to use a piece of software in BSD only to find it requires some linux kernel module or library and thus can't be used on BSD, period.

Other than those... it's mostly just different. Different init system, the OS is organised differently, some frequently used tools don't work quite the same (ex: tar), you'll have to learn BSD-style commands (ex: kldload instead of modprobe), etc.

I'm not sure about power usage.
>>53541755
You can modify configuration so that a package specifically supports certain features, or explicitly removes them. This can reduce bloat of an operating system a lot because you'll be cutting out a lot of dependencies and tailoring it specifically to your needs.

There's also the option of modifying GCC flags, etc. to try to improve optimisation, but desu that doesn't change much.
>>
>>53540557
Do you care about free software should have had more options. I care about free software but it's not very important that I ONLY use free software.
>>
Completed surveys; Bumping thread
>>
>>53541793
>>53541846
Thank you.
>>
>>53540557
>tfw you choose all of the majority answers naturally

Should I have myself checked for autism yet?
>>
I work from home and the place I work for requires windows for the job so I'm using 7. However, after I find a new job I'll be switching to Linux since the games I play run just fine on that.
>>
>Do you care about whether you are using free software or not?
>63% yes
i thought freetards were just memers
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.