[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>there'll never be a year of the Linux desktop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: hopes and dreams.webm (747 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
hopes and dreams.webm
747 KB, 1920x1080
>there'll never be a year of the Linux desktop
>>
Linux already won in mobile, HPC and enterprise.
>>
It is now!
>>
>>53540017
There could be if we could throw PulseAudio in the fucking trash, and replace Xorg already.
>>
>>53540843
>>53540843
once we do that then you'll be whining about some other component that you want rewritten.
>>
>>53540896
Yeah, if something's broken it should be fixed, retard.

Desktop linux isn't a thing because desktop linux sucks, and desktop linux sucks because Xorg is a piece of shit, and Pulse is a buggy piece of shit.
>>
>>53540843
why is Pa bad? I don't understand this. It works, right? And it's not a part of systemd
>>
I'm downloading Lubuntu now for my old laptop. My desktop is Windows for games though.
>>
>>53540843
or, you know, it worked at all
>>
File: 1457149696735 (2).png (10 KB, 413x430) Image search: [Google]
1457149696735 (2).png
10 KB, 413x430
>>53540017
>>
>>53541506
It doesn't work. It's slow, it's shittily designed, and buggy as fuck. Crackling, bizzare bugs. Google around and you'll find people having all kinds of stupid problems with it.

It's retarded too because it's scope is so fucking big, (why is it fucking network transparent?) not to mention all of the audio it output ends up going through fucking ALSA anyway.

It's just a buggy inefficient mess.
>>
>>53540017
Good. It only took you faggots 30 years to realize it.
>>
>>53540559
>Linux already won in mobile

Android =/= Linux

Google took the Linux kernel, raped it and created the most privacy invading OS on the planet. You freetards should despise it, but you don't care because you only want to feel like special snowflakes on your riced Arch Desktops. And the privacy is argument is only an excuse.
>>
File: 1457699102096.jpg (7 KB, 246x118) Image search: [Google]
1457699102096.jpg
7 KB, 246x118
>>53541679
Why do people use it?
Why not just use ALSA since every pre-built linux kernel (at least on the desktop) has it and you wouldn't need a heavy dependency like a entire new sound system.
>>
>>53540017
This webm is strangely arousing. Post more pls
>>
>>53541556
Well those are the two biggest problems.

>>53541721
Because everyone started supporting it for some reason. Now it's because all of the nice, comfortable, fancy audio controls on everything all go back to Pulse.

It definitely does *A* job, but it doesn't do it well, and it goes back to ALSA in the end. If anything ALSA should just be modified, or Pulse should be replaced with something that does the one job it needs to, but even then I'm pretty sure dmix does that job already.

But of course, projects started dropping direct ALSA support in favor of fucking Pulse for reasons I have no idea about.
>>
>>53540017
>dat spread
It's like one last desperate attempt to save herself.
>>
>>53541721
ALSA is more of a low level sound output method while pulse is more of a fully featured audio system. It's intended to be for stuff like multiple device output, individual program volumes, stuff like that, but it's horribly bloated and buggy.
>>
>>53541832
It's the Poettering curse
>>
>>53541717
>Google took the Linux kernel, raped it and created the most privacy invading OS on the planet.

Anyone who knows about it know that android userland us google proprietary shit and the kernel is still free because they are obliged to under GPL
Just root your device, remove google userland and replace it with foss alternatives from fdroid, simple

Your b8 isn't even worthy
>>
>>53541717
It is a good case for why it should be gnu/linux.
The linux kernel has some cool features, but I don't really interact with it enough so it is the deciding factor.
The reason I use gnu/linux isn't a specific driver or a the scheduler or how it manages memory.
The reason I use it is because it is free.
I can use the best desktop environmnent, I can select how and when I will receive my updates, I can even decide to fuck it all up so my e-boner can grow while I fix trivial things.
Android has none of these things.
But hey, it syncs with my server, and that is pretty cool.
>>
I have a better filename

Barbie gives birth
>>
>>53541723
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcMDMoNu66_1Hwi5-MeiQgw
>>
File: 1449905772460.gif (2 MB, 400x265) Image search: [Google]
1449905772460.gif
2 MB, 400x265
>>53542079
>the kernel is still free because they are obliged to under GPL
Mediatek believes otherwise
>>
>>53541535
Try Manjaro or Antergos if you want to use a simple but fast distro.
>>
>>53540017

That is so satisfying to watch and I don't know why. Not even in a sexual way.
>>
>>53541832
>broken display drivers aren't the biggest problem
>broken display managers aren't a bigger problem
>broken scrolling
>streaming video
>the ease of breaking the boot process through updating or even installing unrelated software
>bootable media creation tools that just don't work
>>
>>>53541832
>broken display drivers aren't the biggest problem
Blame nvidia
>broken display managers aren't a bigger problem
Xorg isn't broken, it just sucks. Gnome works fine and KDE mostly works fine.
>broken scrolling
WTF are you talking about, are you too stupid to install a compositor and then complain about tearing?
>streaming video
I can do that?
>the ease of breaking the boot process through updating or even installing unrelated software
I run arch linux and have only broken my boot one time. It was because I did something monumentally stupid. I have literally never once in 6 years plus of using Linux broken a boot cycle from an update.
>bootable media creation tools that just don't work
All the disc ones work perfectly fine, unetbootin works perfectly fine for Linux distros, winusb works perfectly fine for Windows.
>>
>>53544241
>Blame nvidia

Ohhh, the blame game.
IT. DOESN'T. WORK.
Deal with it.
>>
>>53540017
At my house, the year of linux on the desktop was 2003.
Feelsgoodman.jpeg
>>
>>53543106
>I don't know how to install Arch the post
>>
>>53544349
>I don't have a real point so I'm just going to nitpick one part of the post
Also like broken driver releases don't happen on Windows. There was one less than a month ago.
>>
>>53543199

>Not even in a sexual way.

... speak for yourself
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.