[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mozilla announces Servo, a rust based web browser. Finally a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5
File: Mozilla-foundation-logo.png (93 KB, 980x922) Image search: [Google]
Mozilla-foundation-logo.png
93 KB, 980x922
Mozilla announces Servo, a rust based web browser. Finally a browser that wont be complete shit.

http://thenextweb.com/apps/2016/03/15/mozillas-super-speedy-new-browser-will-hit-alpha-june/

https://github.com/servo/servo/blob/master/README.md
>>
I wonder how many times it'll be delayed.
>>
>>53531931
Hopefully before the absolute integration and death of Firefox at hands of the botnet
>>
does it have a privilege check feature?
>>
>>53532070
It is powered by privilege checks.
>>
>Warning! This site contains trigger words that are known to cause PTSD.
>For your comfort and protection, this site has not been rendered

>Warning! This site has been flagged for pronoun ignorance by Mozilla's social justice review panel.
>This may mean this site does not give you with the ability to specify your pronoun before using the site.
>For your comfort and protection, connections to this site have been blocked.
>Thanks for doing your part in spreading pronoun awareness!

>Warning! Parts of this site were detected to use cisgendered JavaScript.
>For your comfort and protection, these components have been blocked.
>Files blocked: jquery.min.js
>>
File: 1457570641671.png (457 KB, 690x460) Image search: [Google]
1457570641671.png
457 KB, 690x460
>>53532105
Not that far off desu senpai, I'm already getting web forgery blocks on piracy websites on Nightly
>>
>>53532081
indians on suicide watch
>>
>>53531931
This, features have been working in nightly for years that are yet to be ported over.

One branch
One repo
Final destination
>>
>>53531878
This article doesn't distinguish a web browser and a web browser engine. It makes no sense.
>>
>>53532126
Because it's both, servo runs browser.html and it implements special APIs to do so.
>>
Servo is a rendering engine. Browser.html apparently ships with servo+spidermonkey by default but it really doesn't need either it just needs something like them. You could replace them with webkit/blink as well, servo is a drop in replacement for webkit.
>>
>>53532262
This is the good news, correct?
>>
>>53532395
I guess.

Servo is ridiculously fast especially on complex webpages and being written in rust makes it very resistant to memory related errors. From the beginning Mozilla wanted servo to be embeddable in other applications.
>>
It'll be nice to have a better browser engine floating around.
>>
>>53531878
don't worry it will never display webpages properly because everyone has to copy webkit bugs
>>
>>53531878
FINALLY
I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR SERVO SINCE FUCKING 2008 OR WHENEVER THEY FIRST STARTED "GECKO 2.0"

FINALLY
FIANANFAKGSPO[]GKSJPODFJKSOP9D F8U-AW98EYRWI89YFHSDIO8UVCHS DF
>>
>>53531878

>On Windows:

>Download Python for Windows here. This is required for the SpiderMonkey build on Windows.

>Install MSYS2 from here. After you have done so, open an MSYS shell window and update the core libraries and install new packages:

>Open a new MSYS shell window as Administrator and remove the Python binaries (they are not compatible with our mach driver script yet, unfortunately):

>Now, open a MINGW64 (not MSYS!) shell window, and you should be able to build servo as usual!

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST! LITERALLY!
>>
>>53534315
first of all
>using windows
>ever

second
>alpha version

idk why chromium & firefox even bother to port over to winshit..

you pieces of shit should use the only browser made for you:
opera, edge, internet explorer
have fun.
>>
>>53534327
>idk why chromium & firefox even bother to port over to winshit..

Because they want people to actually use their browsers?
>>
File: Untitled.png (81 KB, 662x333) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
81 KB, 662x333
>>53534327
furryfox is for windows too ^^
>>
>>53534327
Someone is butthurt that his hobby/research operating system isn't being used by millions of people.

What an egotist.
>>
>>53534327
Windows still has the vast majority of desktop marketshare, and browsers built for desktops need to be built for Windows if they want any modicum of relevance.
>>
>>53534364
>not being used by millions of people
billions, actually. The most used kernel in the world is linux
without it none of your games, servers, or any form of media would exist.

>>53534349
actually open source projects don't benefit either way, they don't really care.
if everything dropped windows support, people would migrate in a week.
>>
>>53534393
>actually open source projects don't benefit either way, they don't really care.

>let's just spend countless hours and millions of dollars on a piece of software that nobody will use because some people online feel insecure about their choice of OS

>if everything dropped windows support, people would migrate in a week.
Yeah. To OSX.
>>
>>53534404
good?
I'd rather them be on OS X than windows.
at least the OS doesn't make the WORST FUCKING GRAPHICS API THAT HAS EVER AND WILL EVER EXIST, and spend billions to keep it active.
>>
>>53534420
>I'd rather them be on OS X t
lolfag, enjoy your walled garden
>>
>>53534444
OS X is easier to manipulate and more open than windows is.

I hate both with a passion, though.
>>
>>53534444
Quads
>>
File: lel.png (129 KB, 1476x1002) Image search: [Google]
lel.png
129 KB, 1476x1002
from the people who brought you firefox
>>
running servo right now
slow as hell, doesn't render web pages

does it have css added yet?
>>
>>53532118
you haven't disabled safebrowsing?
so you love to be under perma-surveillance by google?

>>53531878
>completely new browser written in completely new language
knowing mozarella, this thing won't be near a usable state before 2019.
>>
>>53534627
>it's been in makings by samsung + mozilla since ~2006

2019 is an early estimate
>>
>>53534606
The perceived slowness is due to its networking stack which hasn't been given much attention yet. Once the page actually downloads it renders fast which is what these benchmarks actually record. The entire thing is really early into development and it can only render some sites well, don't expect this browser to be useful as your daily driver for quite some time.
>>
>>53534327
>idk why chromium & firefox even bother to port over to winshit..
>you pieces of shit should use the only browser made for you:
You're the grandpa GIMP defender from yesterday, aren't you?
>>
I remember when Mozilla was the actual browser and firefox was Phoenix/Firebird. Will we actually go back to this type of shit again?
>>
>>53534444
bait

you must have really eaten that Microsoft propaganda up if you really don't realize Mac OS is better
>>
>>53534315
>being annoyed that good dev tools require a POSIX shim.
What is so surprising about this? Windows has always sucked for development, its not like the final finished product will be this annoying to install on windows.
>>
File: 1454591881237.png (270 KB, 373x503) Image search: [Google]
1454591881237.png
270 KB, 373x503
>>53531878
>rust based
>>
>>53534714
>2019
when chrome will have +90% of market share?

D E A D
O N
A R R I V A L
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.