[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Python
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 6
File: download.jpg (6 KB, 273x184) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6 KB, 273x184
What does /g/ think of python?
>>
>>53522825
It does what it sets out to do
>>
>>53522825
It's OK tier, just remove Guido and let someone competent do the design of the finer semantics and implementation.
>>
As a non-programmer I usually try to avoid software written in python If it's something I intend to use extensively and there's an alternative to it.

It's performance is really poor man
>>
>>53522901
>As a non-programmer
You have no idea what you are talking about
>>
>>53522845
Related:
Py_Initialize();

>not
PyVM *vm = Py_CreateInterpreter(STACKSIZE, OTHEROPTIONS...);

[image_of_nignog_rapper_turning_away.3b2]
>>
File: golang.sh-600x600.png (69 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
golang.sh-600x600.png
69 KB, 600x600
>>53522825
go
>>
>>53523079
>the logo
[image_of_nignog_rapper_turning_away.ft2]
>>
why is python 2 still being used

fucking niggers keep using that shit despite being outdated
>>
>>53523144
Because people don't upgrade just to get the flashiest newest version, unless there's actually a technical reason to do so.

Plenty of libraries still only have a Python 2.x implementation and no Python 3 implementation.
>>
>>53523144
There is actually big software written in Python 2. Stuff like Plone or some ERP that is bigger than the interpreter itself, so you just don't rewrite it in a few years, anon.
>>
python is mostly nice
>>
File: yyl.gif (3 MB, 190x200) Image search: [Google]
yyl.gif
3 MB, 190x200
>>53522901
> python
> used by NASA and NSA
> poor performance
whatever you say faggot
>>
>>53523227
if it aint broken don't fix it
>>
>>53523169
Like?
>>
>>53523462
not him but its slower than most static typed language
on the other hand its faster to write code in

>>53523144
because of muh modules
seriously, theres nothing wrong with 2
>>
>>53523462
>implying they use it for space ship computers
>not for shitty office admin scripts or faulty throwaway simulation scripts that cause rocket explosions, like they do in reality
>>
>>53523462
it's not used because it's fast

it's used because it's easy as fuck to write shit in python not because it's blazing fast. You don't need lowlife-level languages for everything kids
>>
Python is pretty good with simple tasks; for example, I created a program in half a minute that takes an input and "translates it" to french.

I can see how it'd be usefull, however, it would take a lot of time and skill.
>>
Its not a bad language like lots of people claim. Its easy to understand and easy to get to where you need to be in a short time. It's syntax is clear, even though people shit on forced whitespace its not a deal breaker. The interpreter is not as fast as a JIT language but the speed you gain in writing code is a good tradeoff.

However I wish python didn't try to adopt OOP style practices as it feels really out of place. Calling __init__ as a constructor and having to pass an instance of itself is silly to me. They should have kept it procedural with functional programming paradigms. I think that's what would've been good for python.
>>
I'm new to programming and have only done a couple small scripts on my own, but yours sounds interesting. How does the english/french translation work? Do you have to import a dictionary or something? sorry if that sounds stupid, I'm just curious
>>
It's pretty handy for small utility programs.
>>
good for small things, easy to read/write
>>
i hate it for oop. now that im leet and pointfree maybe id like it for fp? dunno for certain if python meets all the requirements for that. for some reason i by default dislike java and python.
>>
>>53525920
prolly uses google translate
>>
I find languages based around white spaces instead of braces to be annoying
>>
Python is most definitely not fast itself. There is a lot of C code behind the scenes that makes a lot of std lib code fast. That said for most things python is fine. It's easy to write, fun to use and pleasant in terms of programming.

Anyone who won't use a python app purely on the basis that "python is slow" is class A objective cock sucker. If the application isn't slow by human perception then it's irrelevant how fast or slow python is especially when when we talk about "slow" it's on a scale of ms to ns.
>>
Python is de-facto 21st century scientific computing platform. You can't deny this.
>>
>>53522901
>as a non programmer
>>>/v/
>>
>>53527059
I can.
It is merely a stop-gap between Fortran + C + Perl + R and Julia.
>>
>>53522901
>As a non-programmer

Come back when you learn to program, phaggid.
>>
It's good for programming when you're drunk.
>>
>>53526349
For fp I highly recommend a lisp

They're fun and easy to use
>>
today i had this error
>>
>>53528644
You clearly are using the wrong file or didn't save because it didn't even register you changing the capitalization.
>>
>>53528644
Hey chucklefuck, notice how the lines are completely different.
>>
>>53528644
>python 3
>call to raw_input
>>
It is fine when you need things done quickly.

Whenever I am asked to write some tool to quickly automate some small step of a larger process I typically do it in Python.
>>
>>53529176
This.
>>
>>53529176
Also thanks to PyQt, openpyxl, and pyinstaller for making writing automation tools for Excel so easy. My boss loves Excel and often wants some way to edit things in Excel that can be imported/exported to other things.
>>
>>53522825
I think it's an okay programming language. It's amazing for beginners and such. If you know another scripting language i would not say it's worth learning. Just my opinion.
>>
>>53528644
Let's ignore that you use raw_input, because that's not the issue you're complaining about.

Python3 is throwing an exception because of the line
print "How old are you?"

which differs from the code you posted in your screenshot (for one thing, you didn't capitalize "how" in your code, but for another the line Python3 is throwing an exception to doesn't have enclosing parentheses, which is the issue).

It's not that hard to interpret exceptions in Python. You need to read. If this is too much work for you, then I don't think the language matters a great deal. Go use Swift if you can be productive with it, but know that it's some subconscious decision to work harder with Swift than with other languages.
>>
>>53522901

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

SCREENCAP THIS NOW
>>
>>53526786
I'm almost done working through a book on C, after I finish will I be able to apply my C knowledge to make back-end shit for python? I'm thinking of learning python or C# after I finish my current book.
>>
>>53529386
>will I be able to apply my C knowledge to make back-end shit for python

You definitely could, but it probably won't be worth the time and effort unless you're doing something really resource intensive.

Most languages can be used with C in some way, including C#. It's usually not worthwhile unless you already have a mature/powerful C library that you really need to be integrated with whatever language you happen to be using.
>>
The python2/python3 transition problems are the result of total incompetence. There are very few major languages whose evolution has been so badly designed and managed.

Making whitespace syntactically significant was a discredited idea as long ago as the 1960s. There's a reason why almost no other language since then has made whitespace syntactically significant. Bucking the conventional wisdom about whitespace isn't a "groundbreaking new approach" -- it's just a weird, unfortunate, affectation that is very unlikely to be repeated again in any future major languages.
>>
>>53529490
see http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2695286/for-what-reasons-do-some-programmers-vehemently-hate-languages-where-whitespace
>>
>>53529328
>work harder with swift
work harder how? by not caring about types at all because the type inference in swift is so good? or maybe you mean the vastly superior library?
>>
>>53522825
It's simple and works. I don't like having whitespace only as my delimiting markers, if only because whitespace issues were historically a problem when sending textfiles.

Oh, and the Python shell makes a fantastic desk calculator.
>>
python is a toy language
>>
>>53522825
http://norvig.com/python-lisp.html
>>
>>53523462
...python doesn't handle multiple threads well at all tho, thus leading to poor performance on computation heavy programs.
>>
its alright. great for small scripts, nice syntax for beginners and people unfamiliar with the lang and expressive enough for even very large programs that arent too performsnce sensitive
>>
>>53523144
>outdated
>using meme word unironically
>>
I took a beginning programming class last summer. I was a complete n00b but the professor said it makes things like learning java a piece of cake
>>
>>53522825
Liked it until I found Lua, now it's dead to me.
>>
just werks
>>
>>53528644
>'55' old
>>
>>53531552
By putting up with your own incompetence, broken mental models, etc... and looking up how stuff works for longer in Swift because you've decided in advance that you would like Swift and that you would not like Python.

Your own priors can and in this case do hugely influence your outcomes. There's nothing wrong with that - or rather, there's nothing I care to do. Use whatever language you like. I don't care about your life enough to try and make you like things.
>>
>>53533855
>doesn't even have bitwise operators
disgusting
>>
File: stfu.png (8 KB, 920x110) Image search: [Google]
stfu.png
8 KB, 920x110
>>53522901
>>
>>53535217
http://www.lua.org/manual/5.3/manual.html see 3.4.2
>>
>>53524961
You don't explicitly call __init__() when programming in it. Unless you mean how the interpreter behaves, in which case, I agree with you.
>>
>>53535385
too bad no one uses 5.3
>>
>>53535429
Too bad versions < 5.2 are only used in an embedded context where nobody needs bitwise operators. Like the language was designed for.
>>
>>53535507
>Too bad versions < 5.2 are only used in an embedded context
wrong
>an embedded context where nobody needs bitwise operators
wrong
>>
>>53535530
Right and right, you degenerate faggot.
If you do general programming in Lua or do scripting embedded systems in it you had it coming anyway.

The hand full of fuckos like >>53533855 who pretend that Lua is a full programming language just because there is a nice JIT compiler for are going to get raped by the fact that it becomes more and more incompatible.
>>
>>53535612
>Right
most systems still run 5.1, it's not just embedded interpreters, and writing scripts that throw syntax errors with most installations is retarded
>r do scripting embedded systems in it
>implying bitwise operators are only useful in embedded systems
>>
it just werks
the performance can be bad at certain situations but most of the time is fine. also you can always go down to C or Cython or Numba
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.