[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /g/ think of Zen?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (80 KB, 2256x1267) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80 KB, 2256x1267
What does /g/ think of Zen?
>>
Nothing, it isn't released yet.
It would be very stupid to have an opinion on something that hasn't even been tested.
>>
>>53519899

AMD esta acabado y en bancarrota.
>>
Zen is a nice name and the accompanying graphs are exceptional.
>>
>>53519899
Honestly looks promising I hope they can deliver. It doesn't have to beat out high end intel just be viable enough to justify buying it. We need legit competition in the industry and not this stagnant, profit driven bullshit. I have always used intel but have been reading up/keeping an eye on Zen, and Polaris. Truly hope AMD put a fire under intel and nvidia's ass.
>>
>>53519899
Let's hope that there is an actual improvement and not just more cores, and how it's going to compete with Intel.

Also, this
>>53519926
>>
looking forward to it. maybe we can buy cpu's again without going for the xeon
>>
>>53519926
I know, but I want an opinion on how it will affect AMD as a whole. If it fails, are they done CPU wise? If it succeeds, will AMD be able to start a price war against Intel?
>>
File: drake.png (38 KB, 581x447) Image search: [Google]
drake.png
38 KB, 581x447
>AMD
>>
>>53519999
intel will have to respond by offering cpu's with more cores or something at an resonable price.
>>
>>53519999
what succeeds?
Intel will just blow AMD out of the water the next week, if AMD even comes close.

Most probably AMD is just going to meme even harder and release 12 core processors and then all the freetards on /g/ cry because their gaymen developers don't optimize games for 12 corez.

If AMD doesn't manage to double their per core performance they might as well just pull back from the western market and just sell in Africa where they belong.
>>
>>53519899
intel on suicide watch
>>
I'm expecting Zen to be above Sands bridge in IPC, but below Haswell. The price point is what's going to make or break Zen in all honesty.

I really hope it does great though. I want AMD and Intel to compete closely again.
>>
Hyped because Intel needs competition

At the same time I don't care because I don't touch x86 anymore
>>
Zen will be ~8 cores with an IPC of Broadwell-Skylake at an affordable price.

Intel is literally doomed. They should declare bankrupt right now and save the shame.

AMD will regain again the throne of CPUs.
>>
>>53520004
this
Zen is just another freetard meme that will disappoint on launch. Like freesync, like bulldozer, like vulcan, like gimp.
>>
>>53520097
I've heard you can overclock Zen to 8ghz on the stock cooler.
>>
>>53520004
>>53520026
>>53520099

+5 shekels has been deposited in your account
>>
>>53520178
thank you sir how much rupees are that sir?
>>
>>53519899

I'm hoping that it will perform close to what the roumers say it will.

And no cold bug thanks, if it's decent I would totally have a go at making a 5 stage phase change setup with some funky argon/nitrogen combo final stage for going -150 and beyond. Already have some redicously huge 5kw screw compressors for the first stage.
>>
>>53520097
>>53520117
every Zen processor comes with a young, beautiful virgin bride that will suck your dick every day.
>>
It's nothing but blatant optimism by die hard fans of AMD.

To think that AMD could ever catch up with Intel when you consider what amount of money they could dispose for R&D.
>>
File: grand wizard.png (400 KB, 816x1020) Image search: [Google]
grand wizard.png
400 KB, 816x1020
It'll be the best thing since magic bread
>>
>>53520874
+2 shekels for you
>>
>>53520178
>>53521107
How mad are you right now?
>>
>>53520367
Im sold
>>
I sure hope it'll work out.

Rumour had it AMD is dropping Coreboot support. Has there been anything new on that? Not that it matters since most likely no motherboard manufacturer is going to board that ship, but still.
>>
>>53520096

What architecture do you use?
>>
>>53519899
Will be a paper launch. Demand will introduce scarcity, and inflate the price. Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional.
>>
File: 1431013402982.gif (762 KB, 300x170) Image search: [Google]
1431013402982.gif
762 KB, 300x170
>>53520097
>>
>>53524830
Well this implies that AMD doesn't expect it to sell well.
>>
>>53524966
If skylake with its mediocre improvement sells well, why wouldn't this?
>>
>>53519899

>Nvidia BTFO
>>
>>53519899
Maybe they can win on the server market.
Intel will always have individual better cores, so AMD can't win at the home market, maybe take some marketshare, but not even 30%.
>>
>>53519999
If it succeeds it still won't "kill" Intel's offerings by any stretch, but it will levels up the playing field a bit.

If it fails it's a success since it brings them into smaller technological process anyway.
Just that we'll just have to suffer another set of mediocre budget CPUs.

As for what I think about it:
It has potential. The big opportunity is there, but we'll just have to wait and see.
>>
>>53519926
this
but the rumor of Broadwell IPC with more cores gets my dick hard

will wait for second generation before I upgrade
>>
>>53520099
>freesync
>vulcan
>disappointing
also
>bulldozer
>disappointing apart from muh games
shit matches i7s on multithreaded loads
>gimp
literal strawman, that shit has nothing to do with AMD
>>
>>53526016
>freesync
>vulcan
>disappointing
Yes, objectively so. Freesync was first out and doesn't even have 10% of the market.
>disappointing apart from muh games
AHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HNSwWKIuBY
>literal strawman, that shit has nothing to do with AMD
literal retard, I didn't even mention AMD, only freetards
>>
>>53519899
Amd is gonna go bankrupt if this doesn't work
>>
>>53519899
I worked as an investment banker for a while. Graphs with such sharp sudden inclines in the near future are almost always bullshit.
>>
>>53526840
Stick to your banking or whatever faggot.
>>
>>53519899
Overhyped like Fury
>>
>>53524612
8-bit PIC
>>
File: mother fucking keller.png (777 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
mother fucking keller.png
777 KB, 1280x720
>>53519899
It is the second coming of our Lord and saviour,
Jim Keller.
>>
>>53519899
It better be good now that Polaris is going to be a disappointment
>>
>>53519899
>40% more instructions per clock
>add fury
>add vulcan
amd planing china syndrome
>>
>>53524612
PowerPC and MIPS
>>
Separate consumer and enterprise dies
Consumer Summit Ridge die is 8 cores/16 t
95w TDP
IPC is not near Broadwell, and FPU performance still leaves much to be desired. Stop regurgitating Reddit bullshit based on guesstimates from Passmark scores
The real interesting parts are the Raven Ridge APUs, and the enterprise Opterons with 8 memory channels. Fingers crossed that they didn't opt for outsourced memory controller IP again like they did with Kaveri. Not being able to make use of 3200mhz and faster DDR4 would be shooting themselves in the foot.
Nobody knows final clocks yet, only ES figures, but don't get your hopes up on the 8 core parts. Clocks may not scale high, but will reach moderate levels at low voltage, great news for the enterprise chips. Dual and quad socket systems will have great perf/watt.
AMD's bread and butter is going to be enterprise with Zen. They fully expect their high end desktop segment to be stagnant, and they see Raven Ridge moving the most units out of all their upcoming consumer parts by far.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.