[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
just rooted my phone. what are some must have rooted apps/features?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 1
File: su.png (7 KB, 170x170) Image search: [Google]
su.png
7 KB, 170x170
just rooted my phone. what are some must have rooted apps/features? phone is a t mobile lg g stylo running marshmallow
>>
Download f-droid and explore. There are plenty of nifty apps there, and security ones that need root, as well as low level control apps that also need root.
>>
>>53513098
adaway or that adblocker exposed module I can't remember
>>
>>53513098
Cerberus Anti-theft.
It uses root to override GPS, execute commands and opening a remote shell(so you can wipe the bootloader if your phone is stolen)
>>
Xposed if its on marshmellow yet. Also a must have is titanium backup
>>
>>53513098
Ad-away. Won't block everything, but should block most of it.
>>
>>53513098
>SuperSU
>freely giving the Chinese root access to your phone
>>
>>53513569
it was literally the only option for my phone. i dont care about the botnet meme though so im cool with it
>>
>>53513569
Care to elaborate? I know that Chainfire sold the app to some Chinese company, but he's still in charge of developing the Super SU, right?
>>
>>53513630
it's not clear what exactly Chainfire role is now
>Sep 29, 2015
>SuperSU control and maintenance has been transferred to a newly formed company, Coding Code Mobile Technology LLC ("CCMT").
>my passion for developing SuperSU has dwindled over the years, and it has gone from being a source of joy and fulfillment to a source of stress and a drain of mental resources. So after three and a half years, it is time to make a change.
https://plus.google.com/+Chainfire/posts/XJYJFPtS9Qb

but then he continued to blog about SuperSU development like it was his own doing
>Mar 14, 2016
>Another day another update. The SuperSU updates brings a few fixes to yesterday's release
>https://plus.google.com/+Chainfire/posts/cX2eLb4fkTB
>>
>>53514260
Everything seems really shady. Only ROM that doesn't use SuperSU that I know of is AICP: http://aicp-rom.com/
>>
Give it back pajeet
>>
ad away
afwall+
something to back up apps, like titanium backup
something to improve audio, like viper4android
busybox + a termina emulator.
greenify
>>
these days there isn't much reason to root aside from adaway, android is really maturing.
>>
>>53514766
CyanogenMod has SuperUser, but it's integrated in the OS and not a standalone app anymore.
AICP just looks like some kanged ROM and takes that from CM.

>>53514898
root is still dearly needed.
besides nexus no one gets fast updates or any but custom roms like CM can alleviate that.
>>
>>53513098
Adblocker
Amplify or DS battery saver
titanium backup
viper4android
gravitybox(if available)
greenify
/system/appmover
system app uninstaller
>>
>>53515098
Any good AOSP ROMs you recommend?
>>
>>53513098
Install linux in a chroot!
>>
>>53514859

These plus Amplify
>>
someone recommend a sms keyword blacklist app? every single one i found on play store made up some stupid excuse about how it doesnt work on android kitkat and below, yet i use lbe security master and it still clearly works. lbe is way too packed with features though, i just want the sms keyword blacklist.
>>
>Root explorer
>Wifi Kill
>Naptime
>Xposed

These are xposed modules you should have
>Amplify
>Greenify
>Power Nap
>Lucky Patcher
>Gravity Box
>Youtube adaway
>youtube background playback
>adaway
>>
>>53514260
What the fug
>>
>>53518735
Add lucky patcher, titanium backup,Mx player, blackplayer for music and repo like fdroid or aptoide and you are good to go
>>
>>53520036
>blackplayer
lmao
>>
>>53513615
You can swap SuperSu for any other app after it has been installed
>>
OGYouTube, AdAway, Xposed, YouTube AdAway, probably some sort of overclocker so that you can underclock your CPU.
>>
>>53521852
Is there a way to use CM's built in root if I uninstall SuperSU? I would like to try out other ROMs, but almost every ROM available for my phone uses SuperSU.
>>
>>53522051
Possibly. Install it and let it install its own su binary. At worst you will have to reinstall SuperSu.
>>
>>53514898
>android is really maturing
You can't even mount a fucking USB stick without root
Stock Android is a fucking joke
>>
>>53513098
xposed module
>>
>>53513098
Nothing, don't fucking root your phone if you care about security. Jeez, android put a lot of work into the sandbox for a reason.
>>
>>53522348
>"security" on a system that can be hacked with a single MMS
>>
>>53522446
You have no idea what you're talking about. Stfu.
>>
>>53522517
Actually I do, surprisingly
>>
>>53522539
Okay maybe I was a little aggressive, I'm sorry. Yes stagefright was a huge issue but it was found by someone incredibly intelligent who could probably find the same level of bug on most operating systems, he's incredibly skilled at low level hacking, especially on embedded devices. I'm just sick of people using stagefright to claim that android has no security. Sure iOS is 100x more secure but android itself has put so much effort into compartmentalizing applications and making sure they can't do anything bad. Plus depending on what exploit mitigations you had enabled/disabled stagefright wouldn't have affected you anyways.
>>
>>53513569
Except it's not Chinese, the company is registered in New York.
>>
>>53522599
oh he's thinking of the other kingroot fucks... yeah they're shady as fuck. I wouldn't trust any exploits they release.
>>
>>53522584
This isn't about whether Android or iOS is more secure, but about root. Most malware methods that are used in practice already utilize exploits to gain root privilege anyway, rooting your phone will barely make a difference there and can only benefit you by being able to install apps/patches/roms that actually grant you some protection.
>>
>>53522631
I've seen like two malware campaigns that actually deploy decent exploits, the other 99% i've seen is just social engineering. I'm curious though about what sort of apps/patches/roms you know of that grant extra protection? Currently using unrooted android with grsecurity kernel. But hey I'm open minded and up for learning something. Thanks anon
>>
>>53522631
okay social engineering and public exploits. Probably should have mention this :)
>>
>>53522675
>I'm curious though about what sort of apps/patches/roms you know of that grant extra protection?
CM for one, it actually fixes stagefright (and other past serious holes like that pre-KK webkit exploit) for a plenty of phones that never got an official patch. As for others, well the obvious stuff - there are Xposed plugins that patch some things, you have the obvious: AFWall+, Adaway, Xprivacy and that pretty much serves as a workaround for most Android weaknesses alone.
>>
>>53522746
>CM for one, it actually fixes stagefright (and other past serious holes like that pre-KK webkit exploit) for a plenty of phones that never got an official patch. As for others, well the obvious stuff - there are Xposed plugins that patch some things, you have the obvious: AFWall+, Adaway, Xprivacy and that pretty much serves as a workaround for most Android weaknesses alone.

Hmm good point about AFWall+ I'm currently using a software solution, i'd enjoy having the extra protection of something like iptables. Hah. webkit, damn i love JIT. Thank you kind anon, any other useful things I should look into?
>>
>>53513098
my personal fav is xposed with app settings, allows you to individually change app dpi and layout, for example lets you setup chrome and other browsers to have a pc-like layout with tabs at the top
>>
>>53522784
>Thank you kind anon, any other useful things I should look into?
This is basically all that I use for my shitty 2011 ICS phone (well actually I don't have stagefright patched, but I have autofetch MMS disabled at least and I blacklist MMS from unknown numbers) and I haven't been h4xx0r3d yet by anyone from what I can tell. Rest is just common sense: don't make yourself a target, don't carry important data on your phone, avoid public wifi if there's a second option.
>>
>>53522827
does app settings work on 6.0?
>>
>>53522832
patch that :( i does appreciate your help though, thank you :)
>>
>>53522872
Don't forget to poo in the loo ;)
>>
>>53513098
I would change the ROM. Apps that are useful to me are: Adaway ,Greenify. I use the placebo f.lux too ( I could swear it helps me sleep but I can't be sure). When you get comfier with it read about busybox.
>>
>>53522949
cf.lumen is better than f.lux
>>
>>53522961
f.lux is working for me so no need to change it. Often suggested Twilight was really bad compared to it.
>>
>>53522995
twilight is horrid, it just puts up a semi-transparent overlay

cf.lumen works in the same way f.lux does (except it was on Android way earlier than f.lux), it's also a lot more configurable
>>
>>53523014
Ok, I'll look into it.
>>
>>53522746
>CM for one, it actually fixes stagefright (and other past serious holes like that pre-KK webkit exploit) for a plenty of phones that never got an official patch.
CM is really bad at security and introduces plenty of new holes like
signing system apps with non-secret keys, so anyone could sign their own
downloading OTAs to some public folder that any app can write to and applying the OTA blindly. any malicious app could just replace that OTA

stagefright is totally overrated. we didn't even see any wide-spread worms utilizing it despite all the fear-mongering.
ASLR (starting with Android 4.1) and heavy android fragmentation (every device will have different memory addresses) make it not that easy to exploit, lots of attack vectors like texts get filtered by carriers/apps and even if it's not a root exploit.

>Xposed
that's weakening security not hardening it.
if the attacker is aware of xposed he can use java's reflection hell and own you pretty easily.
>>
>>53513098

Check out Trigger, you can do proper call recording with AlseMixer and "Call Recorder", capture your snapchats with Casper without them getting a screenshot notification, you can even view them without them knowing you've seen it yet. Get Adaway to block ads on your phone, also block ads from normal other apps, however, not YouTube, Facebook app and such, but will block on webpages.
>>
>>53523634
i love you anon. thank you.

i don't do nearly enough java hacking. :(
>>
>>53523634
>java's reflection
Sorry for the double post, any whitepapers/writeups on this? Would love to learn more
>>
>>53523825
in general:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2481862/how-to-limit-setaccessible-to-only-legitimate-uses
>>
>>53513098
Purify. It's probably a chink botnet, but it significantly improves your battery.
>>
is there some app or module to automatically shut down the device during night hours, like on MIUI?
>>
>>53526737
Tasker can do that.
>>
>>53513133
Minminguard
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.