[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Memes aside, this thing IS pretty fucking neat I've been
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: maxresdefault.jpg (230 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
230 KB, 1920x1080
Memes aside, this thing IS pretty fucking neat
I've been waiting for something like this for a while
Just need to wait for it to be adopted and drop in price and you can finally not only get rid of the huge box under your desk but also use one laptop for all your computing needs
Sure you'll still have your seedboxes and file servers and all that, but for your PC this is great, at least in theory
Never used one myself
>>
>>53506932
>get rid of huge box under desk
>put it next to you
>>
>>53507087

Memes aside, this argument is utterly irrefutable.
>>
File: mac-pro-2013-vs-mac-pro-2012.jpg (46 KB, 640x375) Image search: [Google]
mac-pro-2013-vs-mac-pro-2012.jpg
46 KB, 640x375
>>53506932
Just replace the trashcan pro with a notebook.
>>
>>53506932
Not hot-swap ready yet.
>Linus left to testing the hard questions

Other than that little issue I'm interested when it becomes less expensive than owning a cheap laptop and decent desktop.
>>
>>53506932
Sorry for being under a rock, but what the fuck is it and how does it connect?
>>
>>53507206
External GPU/ docking station over thunderbolt.
>>
>>53507127
>>53507087
>take laptop to lecture/school/work
>do low intensity stuff
>take laptop home
>plug in to to eGPU and do high intensity stuff

Personally I'd rather have one of these than a laptop for work and a desktop for games.

>>53507206
External GPU, eGPU for short. You plug it into your laptop and the video card in that little box will do the work instead of the laptop's video chip.
>>
>>53507206
it's a specialized laptop and a dock with a GPU in it
connects using a single USB cable that charges the laptop and connects peripherals and monitors through a discrete GPU
basically it's a laptop that converts into a desktop with the power of a desktop
sounds good but it's pretty goddamn expensive at the moment
>>
>>53507264
>take laptop to lecture/school/work
>do low intensity stuff
>take laptop home
>do high intensity stuff on desktop pc that is even more powerful now thanks to the money NOT wasted on a high-end laptop and eGPU
>>
I still think I'd rather have a desktop and a laptop. I prefer having proper screens and keyboards rather than turning my laptop into all those things for pretty much the same price as a decent PC?
>>
>>53507299
it's a single cost vs two separate costs
say you sink $2k into a high-end desktop and get a crappy $500 laptop to go with it
the alternative that this presents is sinking $2k into a high-end laptop that turns into a desktop
you may get better performance out of the desktop for the same price, but this gives you more flexibility and the laptop part is much nicer than whatever shitty Acer you'd have ordered off the budget section of Newegg
>>
>>53507407
>implying desktops aren't twice as powerful as laptops of double the price
>implying a $500 laptop running arch isn't more than enough for ms word

>it's a single cost vs two separate costs
No, it's two vs two or even three
how much does that eGPU adapter cost? what about the GPU that you'll probably have to buy seperately?
>>
>>53507515
the laptop itself is $1000
no price for the dock yet, but I'm assuming it's going to be $500 or less
a GTX970 can be had for $350
>>
>>53507515
What if one wants their laptop to go over 3 hours?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.