[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best distro for a newfag?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: CdnJVbPW0AAhK3i.gif (943 KB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
CdnJVbPW0AAhK3i.gif
943 KB, 320x200
Best distro for a newfag?
>>
>>53506840
ubuntu/mint/fedora/opensuse
>>
Do you want to have something that's the linux equivalent of Windows? Some would say Ubuntu, for obvious reasons, but I don't want to recommend it because of the amazon bloatware. That's just unacceptable, and nobody should support bullshit like that even if you could install Ubuntu without it. It just shouldn't even be an option.

Pretty much anything with a graphical, guided installation interface is good if you don't want to learn how shit works. Debian, Fedora, Mint, Opensuse. Even Manjaro. Those are a few common distros for noobs. There's still the Linux framework behind everything so you technically can do pretty much anything you want with them, but they come ready set so you will have a desktop environment and all that's needed for basic use.

However, if you want to LEARN linux, if you want to build understanding of what runs behind the guided user interface, I'd say go with Arch. It's not as difficult as you might think, perhaps it gained its reputation before everything became so well documented. Arch doesn't come with a desktop environment and nothing is ready set. The installation process is command line based, as is the OS unless you install a DE (desktop environment) or a window manager (WM). There are a lot of videos on youtube documenting the installation process, you just follow the guide and you will have your OS working in no time. The first time doesn't make any sense, but I like to rehearse the installaton a few times, I have an old thinkpad I use for experimenting.

I'm still learning to use Arch, but with my limited experience I've already seen the potential power of it. While before I would've gone with a ready set distro, now I'm glad Arch doesn't come with anything unnecessary. In fact it doesn't really come with anything. But like I said, it's not impossible. If you want to start out safe, you can just install KDE.
>>
>>53506840
Windows 10
>>
>>53506840
If you want a nice system, Ubuntu or OpenSUSE.

If you don't like Unity (Ubuntu desktop environment), go with Xubuntu, Ubuntu MATE, or some other Ubuntu flavor.

If you want something that has also proprietary stuff installed out of the box: Korora or Mint could be for you.

If you want something minimal to build up on your own: Slackware, Debian testing (or stable if you must), or Gentoo.

If you want a lightweight system, Lubuntu or LXLE. If you want an even more lightweight system, BunsenLabs.

If you want to go full FLOSS, Trisquel.

If you want a live CD, Knoppix.

If you want a live CD with very low system requirements, Puppy.
>>
>>53507108

>ITT Archfags don't realize they're casuals compared to Slackware users.
>>
I found that mint was perfect for me. I was able to use the graphic interface while I got adjusted, and then I started learning how shit worked behind the gui.
>>
>>53507593
Neither is hard to use, and Slackware has a curses installer by default.
>>
go whit lubuntu. it is like xp
>>
>>53506840
Linux Mint, because Cinnamon is actually good.
>>
>>53507108
This.
>>
>>53507108

Oh and pacman is fucking great. Fuck apt.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.