[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm C # and Java developer. I do mostly desktop applications,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: hqdefault.jpg (33 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
33 KB, 480x360
I'm C # and Java developer. I do mostly desktop applications, but I also want to learn web development. I'd hate to started here a flame. But I would like to hear the opinions of those who already have some experience with PHP and C #, which language to choose and why? Alternatively, what would you choose today if you were at the beginning as I am?
>>
If you're learning this for fun you could pick anything like one of the new JS-based shenanigan languages
If you want to use it for a job later then definitely PHP. It's the de facto web server language.
>>
>>53502255
FUCK C#. It has no debugging tools for MPI on GNU/Linux. Fucking no one runs microsoft HPCs.

I hate being tied to shitty legacy code.
>>
You picked the wrong board friend.

If those are your choices, then C# for desktop, php for web. MS MVC/ASP/whatever is a cluster of evil.

inb4 any complaints about PHP being unsecure. It was, but not it is just like any other language that you still have to know what you are doing.
>>
>>53502255
I develop in both languages since my company requires me to do it so, tbqh I prefer PHP since when you get down to it, it's a quick and dirty language that's built for the web. That said I prefer JS-based meme stuff anyways.
>>
>>53502669
>. It was, but not it is just like
You mean, they improved PDO and make it throw exceptions by default?
Or they explained that you have to give an encoding to htmlspecialchars in the documentation, not somewhere in the comments?

Oh, they did not...

>>53502255
If you get to decide, why not both. Also >>53502357
>If you're learning this for fun you could pick anything like one of the new JS-based shenanigan languages
this OP, JS is fucking awful and it can't befixed, but JS and 100 MB program size is a small price to pay to have fancy rich GUIs in Electron.
>>
>>53502907
You should enable error messages + exceptions globally in a development environment, not just for PDO.

Do you really use htmlspecialchars() in your apps? What about template engines?
The docs say you are highly encouraged to specify a charset.
>>
>>53502985
>You should enable error messages + exceptions globally in a development environment, not just for PDO.
Pretty sure PDO needs a parameter on a connection base.

>What about template engines?
For this special project they are overkill.

>The docs say you are highly encouraged to specify a charset.
But the logical conclusion would be that encoding errors show up, not that text simply disappears.
>>
You want into web dev? Thats simple. Learn
Html5, css, javascript, a little php cant hurt, and python/ruby if you want to use a web framework (django/rails), or if youre already proficient w php learn laravel or something.

Also cant hurt to learn some SQL
>>
>>53503082
Yeah, about the escaping issue, one solution does not fit all cases.
For now, backwards compatibility forbids enabling exceptions by default, and you can tell why.
>>
>>53503452
Yes.
BTW: Are they planning another long-term release like 7.0 where they "break" broken stuff in order to fix it?
>>
>>53502255
>PHP
>any year

I'd rather program in BASIC than php
>>
PHP
>>
>>53502255
If you're dipping your toes in and you aren't a shit coder, PHP is not so awful.

You may also use node or flask, if you want.

Django is a possibility as well.

I've never used anything else for webdev, so I couldn't tell you if rails or whatever is good.
>>
>>53503497
I dunno, I check the active RFCs from time to time. Anyways, wait for PHP 7.1 and PHP 8.0
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.