[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is /g/ not talking about this at all?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 7
File: download.jpg (9 KB, 298x169) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9 KB, 298x169
Why is /g/ not talking about this at all?
>>
>>53501037
Orange pi plus 2 is better in almost every single way
>>
Nice 64bit CPU running in 32bit mode, please put in some non-ARM CPU and I am interested.
>>
>>53501058
Because 2GB RAM?
>>
>>53501099
Also gigabit lan, same peripherals as the rpi3(wifi and shit), more USB ports, sata 2.0, on board emmc flash memory.
>>
I'm interested in using one as a media box. All the reasonably priced stores are currently out of stock though.
>>
>>53501113
Why isn't the Raspberry Pi doing the same? Also, how do the CPUs compare?
>>
>>53501037
It's usually normies that are obsessed with it - thinks their friends will consider them special or worthy of talking about when they bring this up.
>>
>>53501151
1.2GHz quad core, but can be overclocked to 1.6
>>
>>53501170
Should mention, I think the pi 3 has a slightly better cpu but don't quote me on that.
The orange pi plus 2 just wins though because 2gb ram.

1gb isn't enough, especially with an igpu.
>>
>ethernet still shares the same bus with usb
Dropped until they fix this
>>
>>53501037
because actual housefire, and still shares bandwidth between 4 usb ports and 100 meg ethernet
>>53501151
It has an actually impressive cpu, far more than quad 1.2 ARM would have you believe. However, it can break boiling point in short order if aftermarket cooling is not provided, even at stock speeds. The thermal sensor stops working about 4 degrees C shy of when it should start throttling.
>>
>>53501037
Odroid is superior in every way
>>
>>53501131
I wanted to make a small tablet with it but it seemed to me the whole cheap computer thing is a lie. The board is cheap, but the rest of the components you need costs even more.

>>53501216
Are you talking about RPi 3? I heard the same about it heating up real hard, but would heatsinks help? Some cheap, £1/heatsink?

>>53501159
Hopefully I won't be one of them. I just think it's pretty nice to have a little computer around.
>>
>>53501239
Dropping any piece of metal on top to use as a heatsink helps a lot.
Adding a small fan makes a world of difference.
>>
>>53501239
On a side note, if you want to save some money the orange pi pc is a cut down version for only $15.
Same processor though but 1GB ram.
>>
>>53501286
I think the power buttons on the Oranges are pretty helpful. I still don't understand why the RPi doesn't have it. I already ordered a unit of the Pi 3 though, been looking to have one but never actually looked into the alternatives.

Should've done more research but the RPi is the easiest to find in my country.
>>
>>53501237
Except in spaceheating.
>>53501239
Yes, I'm talking about the 3. Every time a new Pi comes out everyone gets all giddy, then they have the same dealbreakers as before, and we stop talking about it. Now it seems it no longer sucks ass processor wise for a server/thin client, but it hits 100C/212F/+.
But the shared buses, arbitrary power limitations, low, slow ram, no way of power cycling safely, and bloated factory images kill it.
>>
>>53501037
Because it's useless
>>
>>53501436
just like you
>>
Im replacing my nas.
Is it possible to setup nas on that thing? im putting 10tb drives. How is the speed anyway?
>>
>>53501347
Well, crap. I suppose the others don't share the same issues?
>>
>>53501749
Dogshit if you are talking about the rpi
>>
>>53501749
AHAHAHA no.
Not just no, but HELL NO.
WD mad a special drive low powered enough that it could function with a pi. By the time you bought enough cradles, you'd exceed the price of an HP microserver. And its 1 USB2 bus devided amongst 4 USB ports and a 100mbit lan port, so speed will be painful.
>>53501764
The others have all the same issues, but swap housefire for shit cpu
>>
><any board name> is better in almost every single way.
Spec wise, yes.
But compared with support and software updates. raspberry pi is better.
>>
>>53501037
because /g/ doesn't really care
>>
>>53501798
Well, OK then. It'll be my first board and I'll see how it goes.
>>
>>53502010
Assuming you arent NASguy, Don't have high expectations, but 2 things that can make the pi less shit are berryboot/kexec to boot off a flash drive, and a usb to gigabit ethernet. I'd suggest either or, because of the shared bus.
Good for projects and stuff.
>>
Because it still uses an angry birds processor. I was hoping it would have at least gotten an x5-Z8300 ($21). Way too many software incompatibilities exist because it uses an ARM processor and ARM in general has shit performance.
>>
>>53501798
>>53501788
how about a dedicated torrent client?
>>
>>53502066
Either retarded or troll
>>
>>53502066
this
>>
>>53502119
Unfortunately he's right. A lot of useful software that people want to run on the raspberry pi can't be run simply because of the different cpu architecture. Yeah you can use CLI software compiled for ARM but at the end of the day the majority depend on software written on x86 to get work done and pay the bills.
>>
>>53502173
You don't buy a Raspberry Pi to run MS Word
>>
>>53502113
If you aren't trying to make a seed box, and will be retrieving your torrents instead of trying to hoard them on the pi, it should work just fine.
>>
The Pi foundation is a weird cult with questionable motives. The whole SJW alliance is well known and has been beaten to death in these threads, but everyone has now forgotten how they forced Hardkernel to stop making the Odroid W by making Broadcom stop sales of the SoC to anyone else. That particular model was basically a Pi Zero precursor.

The real reason nobody is talking about it is because most of us got one a few years ago and now have it in a desk drawer because we got bored with it.
>>
>>53502066
Basically this. I hope the 2GB RAM variant of the lattepanda will go for around $50 soon
>>
Thoughts on the up! board? Looks like a good ootb soc.
>>
>>53502194
thats great
nah im a pure evil leecher
>>
>>53502194
Why doesn't the pi work as a seedbox?
>>
>>53502233
Very interesting. Glad to see more people abandoning ARM.
>>
>>53502212
Whoa. That actually looks very good. I've been looking for a Cherry Trail board like this but the ones before were all HDMI sticks.
>>
>>53502254
Because it gets very spendy very fast if you start throwing in hdd docks or multiple 128gb/+ usb drives, powered hubs, etc. At that point, buying a surplussed server or old pc is a far better ROI, and cleaner solution instead of a mess of wires, docks, etc.
>>
>>53502536
but it still works as one?
>>
File: 4.gif (20 KB, 200x261) Image search: [Google]
4.gif
20 KB, 200x261
>>53501037

Fuck off, pi day was yesterday
>>
>>53502212
>lattepanda
>forced to windows 10
>100€ to actually use it
Y ou can just build a am1 for that price
>>
>>53502561
Yes, but its a very inefficient solution. Similar to using a pi with qemu to play windows games. You have many more options that will do it for less money and hassle.
>>
>>53501037

/g/ hates technology
>>
>>53502190

Is word compatible with mono?
>>
File: banana_pro.jpg (191 KB, 657x910) Image search: [Google]
banana_pro.jpg
191 KB, 657x910
I bought myself, and use as a torrent machine, a Banana Pro from LeMaker (Not the one from the Banana Corp or whatever)

http://www.lemaker.org/product-bananapro-specification.html

Specs are definitely better than RPi in most aspects, community is basically dead though. LeMaker has jumped ship (and I learned this AFTER buying my unit), but since I'm not doing too much with it, not a hassle.

What I like most about it is the dedicated SATA interface, separate eth/usb buses, and that it has Gigabit.

What I don't like, and failed to notice about other boards (OPi2, Odroid), is the 1GB RAM...

Runs Bananian 15.08 (based on Debian 8). Currently uses 196MB of RAM for apache, rtorrent (managing 450 torrents) and whatever other system resources.
>>
>>53502786
Forgot to mention, the drive is 750GB WD Blue:

http://www.ncix.com/detail/western-digital-wd7500bpvx-blue-750gb-12-90029-1293.htm

It was much cheaper before. Probably gonna switch to a 1TB at some point. The only way to power a SATA drive through the board is if it's 2.5", otherwise you need to have separate power.
>>
>>53501186
the wifi uses a separate bus though!
>>
>>53501037

They make great single task server/devices.

I could run one big honking old box that sucks power like water or several Raspberry Pis for different projects.
>>
>x86 based Pi when?
>>
File: toaster.jpg (17 KB, 518x349) Image search: [Google]
toaster.jpg
17 KB, 518x349
>>53501170
>>
Does anyone have any experience with any of the Olinuxino boards?
>>
>>53501798
>HP microserver

I've been debating buying one these, I'm less than comfortable that HP charge for firmware updates for it though
>>
Because this is much more interesting.
>>
>>53504714
Well, If you look around, you can find a diskless 4-bay one for <$200, and with hardware that smashes the Pi, and has an amd64 cpu, so muh compatibility.
>>
>>53501237
My body odor is superior.
>>
>>53501058
But RP has so much more support.
>>
>>53504770

Yeah I looked into building a NAS and I'm looking at £1000+ and the microserver looks like the most economic model
Have you owned one? I'm only looking for something that can stream films across the house
>>
How well does Pi 3 work as a server?

I thinking of replacing my old server laptop with a Pi 3 or Odroid. I'd be running mumble server, FTP, Apache/PHP/Mysql.
>>
>>53504946

I have a Synology, the software is pretty top notch.
>>
>>53504946
They do the job admirably. All you'd really need hardware wise is gigabit ethernet, a not-shit cpu, and an open sata port.
If x86 isn't important, you could get an odroid xu4 and the cloud case. you'd be limited to a single 2.5 inch drive, however.
>>53504978
Pi: FTP is gonna be slow, and juggling it with mumble could cause issues.
C1+ or better: should be serviceable.
>>
>>53504978

I have several Pis.

B+ runs a DHCP/DNS server
B2 running ZNC hooked to a monitor with Xchat running
B2 running an OpenSIM server

I plan to get two Pi3s, one for a Minecraft server, one for a currently undetermined project, maybe a proper Retro Pi set up.

I don't know about Mumble but it would work for web and FTP, though probably not for some mass public use.
>>
File: 854698-backtotherealbattle.jpg (154 KB, 936x960) Image search: [Google]
854698-backtotherealbattle.jpg
154 KB, 936x960
>>53501037
Gonna build a bedside computer for general streaming and content by have resting an LCD with a controller and making an enclosure that can mount on my wall. Sucks there isn't much support for OP2+.
>>
>>53505137
I tried Minecraft on an rpi2 and it shit the bed in less than a minute.
>>
>>53505149
Harvesting*
>>
>>53505092

How's the speed and responsiveness?
I tried using a Pi and it took forever to open files and lagged in places
>>
>>53505164

You sure it was a Pi2?

I used to run an MC server on my Pi2 and had no real issues aside from using a map would drop me off,and I am not sure that was because of the Pi.
>>
>>53505190

It's decent. I run several of the apps on it though not under a ton of load. It has a nice web GUI.

What I use on it
Roundcube mail as a backup archive
Web server with Wordpress archiving all of my blog posts from 20 years
Download station for torrents or other DLs
I also have is syncing and backing up like 6 Dropboxes, one drive and pushing all of my backups to Amazon Cloud.
>>
>>53505287
>>53505190

I am talking about my Synology not a Pi here. The 2 bay Synology was $200 without drives.
>>
>>53505252
Yeah, it was a pi 2. What OS and settings did you have? I'm wondering how to get mine to work.
>>
>>53502786
I like the umbrella touch in there.
>>
>>53505428

I generally just use the basic Raspbian image. Did you use any mods or have multiple people? I was pretty much just using mine solo and regular

I even went around once in creating blowing up mountains with TNT to test performance a bit.

I gave up playing on it after I died a bunch and lost all of my good way under ground.
>>
>>53505698
Nah, I just did vanilla singleplayer. Fuck.

You mind giving me a good guide? I've been meaning to try that again sometime.
>>
>>53505751

Hmm, I can't find the actual commands in the CLI history but looking at the files it seems I was using Bukket and Spigot instead of he normal MC server files.

I want to say even when I was setting it up on a full Ubuntu box that Bukket was supposed to run more efficiently than the official server.

So I guess it wasn't quite vanilla.
>>
>>53501037
>>>/diy/
>>
Anyone buying something like this and obsessing over the CPU "Power" and not watt performance is a fucking idiot.
>>
>>53506362
Yes, and lots of those idiots hear "muh $35 computer" and then bitch when it sucks ass as a desktop. Others try to get it to serve as a NAS and want better CPU performance because the early ones would saturate when running samba.
>>
>>53505137
Mumble runs fine with 20/30 people on a B+
>>
>>53507124

What kind of bandwidth does that take?
>>
Bought one for Retropie so I can play SNES games with my sister

Maybe an Ubuntu single board machine would have been better.
I certainly wouldn't have bought an android console.

That it's able to play PSX games very well was a pleasant enough surprise for me
>>
>>53501159
this
like 90% of people buying them are normies who want to be part of the "maker" movement so people will think they're "such a nerd xD". then they realize they don't have any interesting ideas or technical skills and wind up turning it into a home server (kek) or media center because they're projects where the hardest part is installing shit.
>>
>>53507164
No idea, default max bit rate per user is 72 kbit/s. So I guess if everyone talks and receives everything at the same time it uses 64.8 mbit/s(0.072*30*30). However that probably never happens and you could lower the bitrate, 72 kbit/s is a lot for Opus. I have a 100/100 mbit/s fiber connection so it isn't really a problem.
>>
Not the anon you're replying to, but the network usage is minimal. Murmur (mumble server) is really lightweight.
>>
>>53507393

Raspberry Pi for software projects
Arduino for hardware projects.
>>
>>53505137
Wow at that point you might aswell save money on buying a proper pc/mini server.
>>
>>53507620

> Maybe $250 total so far spent over years including cards and power
> Uses less electricity
> Each runs 1-2 tasks so I am not taking a shitload of processes down for any sort of power cycle
> Easily and quickly reusable for any new projects

I really don't see the problem here.
>>
>>53507966
How much would a cheap server cost that would be able to do what 3 B2 and B+ pis could do?
>>
>>53502173
>how I compile from source?
>>
>>53508189
If you are okay with surplus/ irritating 1/2U rack servers, about 200 counting a hard drive.
>>
>>53509527

Also how well dp these servers handle multiple processes all at once?
>>
>>53501037
well documented meputer

not a lot to talk about

"Hey /g/ look at my robot!"

"Hey /g/ look at my LED sign!"
"Hey /g/ look at my x!"

"Hey /g/ look at my y!"

"Hey /g/ look at my z!"

boring boring boring
>>
>>53507521
Both are shit platforms, if you really want to learn hardware, go buy a bread board and componets and start learning it's going to be invaluable.
>>
>>53501058
exactly how? the SATA is done by an USB-SATA chip

the allwinner H3 has no pure linux support whatsoever. running anythign related to GUI, 3D or video decoding is pain in the ass as you have to rely on broken stuff like libhybris.

stock kernel full of chinese spaghetti code that produces heavy latency on the GPIO pins

the CPU is slower too. only positive is the 2GB RAM.
>>
>>53505137
>I don't know about Mumble

mumble runs with the umurmur server on my fuckin router. tried so far with 20 people and everything worked flawlessly. cpu load was somewhere at 5-10%. so a raspberry should be able to handle 100 slot servers easily (as long as your internet upload is enough)
>>
>>53505137
>Minecraft server,
Good luck you'll need it
>>
I'm waiting for my CHIP $9 PC to come in June and I'd buy a Pi Zero if I can ever find one while it's not out of stock.

I just really really want to try out these <$10 single-board computers. I don't want to spend $40 on this underpowered shit.
>>
>>53509738
well, 4 cores, 8 threads, 2.8 Ghz, 8GB of RAM handles things quite well from my experience.
>>
>>53510003
Chip wasn't acctually sub $10, that was just for the kickscammer campaign. Anyways it's completely obsolete now that the pi0 exists.
>>
>>53509840
its too bad people are not taking the initiative to make support for cheap Chinese hardware but its understandable since there are likely zero optics in to how long production runs etc will last and talented coders have finite lives and it's good they're not inclined to waste time on dead end projects
>>
>>53510063
might be a good project for someone starting out tho. in 5 years no one will remember your mistakes
>>
>>53510049
I preordered mine, it actually came up to $15 after shipping. I just need to wait for it come in the mail.

I'd love a Pi Zero, but it's always out of stock. People buy them all up instantly because they're artificially selling them for less than they're worth.
>>
>>53505252
Mc servers are a horrible java mess. It's acctually normal for it to not work well but underpowered hardware isn't gonna help. Mojäng have no incentive to fix servers now that they have realms.

Vanilla and 1-4 players migh be fine, at least as long as you don't move around a lot (so it has to generate world)

How more players and or mods, just give up. The cpu is too weak and theres not enough ram.
>>
>>53510154
>but it's always out of stock
Or in Stock at sites selling it for $15+, or at legit sites where it's "only in stock" for their overpriced kits.
>>
>>53510063
the point is that eg. for most Mali GPUs there exists no documentation whatsoever. ARM suppplies some propritery blobs (usually for android acceleration libraries), the linux stuff is either broken, deprecated or both. so the only way to get a flexible opensource driver relies solely on pain in the ass reverse engineering that can be properly done by very few. linux just isnt the target for most of these SoCs, and the fact that there are usually at least two ways/standards to achieve something in a linux system doesnt make things exactly better.
>>
>>53510167
mc is hilarious

block stacking program takes 8gb

notch is a fucking moron

rich moron but still

he's wasting everyone's time and money pretending to be capable of anything else
>>
>>53510390
>pain in the ass reverse engineering that can be properly done by very few.
sounds like a great project for someone

there's like 10 billion people if no one is making it work no use complaining
>>
>>53510049
>>53510016

> No Wifi, no Bluetooth

Chip already beats the Pi Zero.

Actually, I have two chips with a third coming in May or June with a VGA adapter. I have not found a great use for them yet and unlike the Pi everything I try to use them for so far runs into some sort of hiccup.

They also needed a firmware fix to make them boot but I imagine anything shipping later will be fixed (since there is a fix).

I have been trying several solutions to set one up as a web based network dashboard but I am not real sure what's out there. I started installing something called Zabbix(I think) and there were no issues but it also didn't seem to run. I also have Wireshark installed on one but I have to log in via VNC to view it.

It's still a neat device, especially for the price, I just have not found a good use for it yet. I may look into getting the Pocket Chip adaptor for one since I have so many devices now I manage via SSH and that was one suggested use for the pocket chip. (Pocket Chip is a blackberry looking interface for CHIP
>>
>>53501037
I bought shitty raspberry pi

the power does not work, you have to hold it in at a certain angle, it has not been soldered in properly FUCK YOU
>>
>>53510938
>I'm too retarded to return defective products and instead whine about it on a chinese cartoon board
No anon, FUCK YOU.
>>
Would it be better to install the OS on a USB pendrive or the SD card? Also, is a class 10 SD card fast enough?
>>
File: 1453768928843.jpg (35 KB, 450x624) Image search: [Google]
1453768928843.jpg
35 KB, 450x624
>>53511759
Wait it STILL doesn't have onboard storage?
>>
>>53511785
No, anon. It doesn't. Some other alternatives have onboard eMMC but the Raspberry Pi still doesn't have an onboard storage.
>>
>>53511759
you need at least a base OS on the SDcard, as that's where it boots by default. After that, you can kexec to an OS on a flash drive.
>>
What do I do with it? Can I build a tablet?
>>
>>53513910
You can but probably not worth it after buying all the other components. Not to mention the horrible limitations such as slow SD card speed, USB and Ethernet sharing the same bus (therefore Ethernet may only max at 25Mb/s).
>>
Why did none of the reviewers on YouTube talk about the bad things of the Pi?
>>
>>53502983
Mah internet of things.
>>
>>53501216
no it doesn't rofl

you can make -j6 for days and it won't pass 70C
Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.