[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39
File: linuxupgrade.png (36 KB, 816x530) Image search: [Google]
linuxupgrade.png
36 KB, 816x530
Welcome to /flt/, we are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

1) Install a GNU + Linux on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
2) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
3) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
4) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux (Recommended for your freedom)

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will literally work on various distros, including Debian)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
>>
I fell for the lubuntu meme, thanks guys. Had to re-install windows.
>>
>>53492746
What was it that went wrong? We can gladly help you with any problems you had
>>
I want to get into using gnu/Linux, but don't know where to start? I have an extra laptop to try it on it's a ThinkPad not sure which one I'm going to use yet my blaze it memepad (t420s) or x220 either way anyone have advice for a complete beginner? I was interested in trisquel, but don't know if it's too advance or what? Complete beginner help how did you get into gnu/Linux? How is the learning curve? Where to start?
>>
>>53493818
complete beginner options with your hardware would be Ubuntu (/Xubuntu/Lubuntu) but if you are set on Trisquel then check thinkpad wiki (or whatever it's called) for info on drivers. wireless drivers are usually a snag for free software distros
>>
So I have an ext4 partition on my hdd which I want to move to a different drive or virtual machine, thing is ever since I updated to Win10 (i know...) on my other partition, I couldn't reach my older partition. I tried using refIND on a cd/usb but it wouldn't even boot. I tried changing all boot related options in bios but nothing helped
>>
What distro should I put on an old HD laptop I got for free? The only distros I've ever tried are Ubuntu and Mint, but didn't really like them very much.
>>
>>53493818
try Ubuntu first if you are a beginner. You can always try a more advanced distro later when you know your way around.
Since you asked, I got into Linux with Ubuntu 8.04 (in 2008) and used it a lot like Windows at first, relying on proprietary software and never using the terminal. When I had a usable system I tried live-cds of other distros and decided I didn't (yet) like them. Learning curve is as steep as you like, if you don't want to learn just use what works and nevermind
>>53493870
if he has a ThinkPad then even wifi might not be a problem. Aren't they supposed to be really good for running Linux?
>>
>>53493870
Thanks, seems like yea it doesn't support the wireless card in the ThinkPad, well I guess another question is how difficult would it be to use a gnu/Linux with something like school or work where everyone uses Windows? What would be some difficulties? I'll probably give ubuntu a try one last question is which distro is the most free? If that question makes sense? Where I don't have to worry about it being too proprietary I feel like that is the point on why I'm getting into gnu/Linux? So I feel like I'm not spied on kinda over Windows bullshit
>>
Should I get Ubuntu MATE? I've been using redhat at school and at work so i'm familiar with the terminal but haven't really gotten that familiar with it besides installing packages and using AFS.

For some reason I just can't stand the orange look of Ubuntu
>>
How do I make weechat alert urxvt properly so it highlights the workspace it's on?
>>
Is it safe to resize an ext4 partition? I have a / partition and would like to reduce it but I have no idea how likely it is that I'll fuck up that partition or the others around it.
>>
>>53493818
I was in your shoes few days ago and trust me 80% of tips here won't help you - I used every single forum and archived information available, and compared data on my own.

If you want compatibility, good out of the box and absolute best performance you can get right now March 15 you have two options:

Fedora 23 ( I prefer KDE spin and update it to 5.5.5. it's amazingly well looking )

Ubuntu 15.10 ( Go with any spin, again Kubuntu is preferred - it also has spyware removed by default )

If you decide to pick Fedora, which is the superior option between the two - go to /g/ wiki page of it, you have there some very short useful tips.
>>
>>53495036
it is designed to be resizable, in most cases it'll be fine
but it's still, as always, recommended to back up before doing so
>>
I just realized that running linux - with windows 7 debloated, configured and with that patch on in virtual machine is the way to go.

Disable internet access to virtual machine and use linux for internet search and such things.

Eventually give windows 7 internet access only for the application which requires it.

Fixes all the problems.

In that sense should I install Linux on my ssd? ( it's a 120 gb one ) I'm not sure yet.
>>
What's the general way to set up root to have the same zsh set up that I have as a user? I usually symlink stuff in root's home to mine but I don't know if this is the right way to do it, so I would have root's zsh using my config file but writing history in to its own file in root's home.
>>
>>53495622
You could use the global zshrc file. Btw look into grml-zsh-config, it's quite nice.
>>
How do I make smartmontools notify me if my drive has an error via email. The email setting only sends a mail to the local domain. I want to send it to my gmail
>>
>>53495733
Oh nice, that works perfectly. I might investigate that when I have time, I have a fairly comfy setup with prezto but I've always heard good things about grml-zsh-config.
>>
My computer shut down during a simple update, now I cannot startx and yum aborts everything. Using fedora 22 with GNOME 3
>>
New to linux. How do I program java or c++ in linux mint? Dumb question probably
>>
I restarted my gentoo server and now transmission webgui doesn't work. What the hell
>>
>>53496727
javac Butts.java

>>53496513
what kind of error does yum spit out?

>>53496924
I dunno lol, check that it's running?
>>
Would it be stupid to install linux if i play a lot of vidya?
>>
New user here with what I hope is a simple issue.

I'm trying to force two shares from a NAS to auto mount on startup using Ubuntu. I've edited /etc/fstab with the appropriate file information and it works (sudo mount -a successfully mounts everything), but it won't mount the shares unless I manually do it as root (attempting to access the drives after restart throws up an "Only root can mount X" error).

Since I want it to automount the shares on startup, this solution is unfortunately a "close but not quite" one. Anything obvious I may have overlooked?
>>
>>53497021
depends if those vidya can run on linux or not
>>
>>53497041
try using these options instead
noauto,x-systemd.automount,x-systemd.device-timeout=10,timeo=14,x-systemd.idle-timeout=1min

this will make systemd mount the share upon first access, and will reconnect it if the connection is lost
>>
How do I change the default terminal in spectrwm to termite?
>>
File: images.jpg (6 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6 KB, 225x225
OpenSuse bro here, just wanting to remind all the newbies that we exist as a distro and are pretty damn sweet. Plus we have that lizard Geeko.
>>
File: comanchejump2.jpg (75 KB, 604x401) Image search: [Google]
comanchejump2.jpg
75 KB, 604x401
I'm having a hard time figuring the QEMU documentation out. How do I configure networking with a VM so it would appear as a normal computer on my network? This is mainly so I can use it as a steam IHS server
>>
>>53497772
How do you like Zypper?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-15_10-56-35.png (43 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-15_10-56-35.png
43 KB, 1366x768
what the actual fuck has happened to 13.5GB of my SSD space?

I just ran fstrim on my drive and it's still like that, why???

it's not fair i tell you
>>
How do I get rid of Linux and reinstall Windows
Should I just boot from a Windows ISO
>>
>>53500829
Forgot to add it's encrypted with LUKS, not sure if that would affect that figure though. I can't even remember what it was to start with, I haven't reinstalled for about 2 years I think. Maybe will do so when 16.04 is out.
Xubuntu is solid af.
>>
what's the easiest way to install GTK3+ on Debian? I searched for it in Synaptic and google but there isn't an obvious package to install and compiling is weird and scary to me
>>
>>53500850
You punt a knife between two solid things, make sure nothing would move it from a perpendicular position with the desk or ground w/e you place it.

Bash your head really fast into it.
>>
I installed Kubuntu on my laptop about a week ago, tried a few things I was interested in like running a local mysql server, streaming steam games from my pc, sharing files with my pc using samba, installing the nvidia drivers, trying mame emulator, etc. Mostly with a terminal based tutorial where possible.

The only thing I'm having major issues with is the file manager (Dolphin) crashes a lot when I'm doing stuff or Plasma (or something similar) will crash+restart when I just try and load one of the system settings windows sometimes.

Why is it so unstable? I did download the version 15 as opposed to the LTS is this probably why? I was thinking of trying regular Ubuntu LTS in the hopes I might get a more stable system when it comes to the GUI.

Also is there anything I'm missing out on as a new user by getting the LTS?
>>
I'm fucking shit tired of microshill meme OS, i want to try some decent linux distro, i have a decent understanding of how computers work and love doing OS work on command prompt because my first OS was MS-DOS 6.22. but i've never tried anything other than M$ OSes. Considering these can someone recommend me a decent distro or whatever you call those things.

I'm seriously considering gentoo because go big or go home. but also i'm afraid i'd be trolling myself hard because i don't know much about coding/compiling. i'm casual as fuck if that area is not something i'm confident.

I have extra hdd so i'm not risking my current OS. also i'm not looking for beauty, i'm looking for functionality.
>>
>>53501247
only retards actually use gen2, just use xubuntu or debian stretch if you want functionality, plus you get decent support
>>
>>53501254
checking those right now
somehow i feel relieved for not recommending gentoo

thank you
>>
>>53501304
Why not?
Gentoo is great if you are eager to learn.
>>
>>53501327
i'm eager to learn but being a wageslave i don't have much free time, i'd hate if i had a problem and spend my whole time to fix it. So i'm kinda intimidated by it because it's a total unknown for me.
>>
Old thread is on 250 posts, why did you already start a new one?
>>
>>53501506
We needed _you_, Anon. You're the secret to this entire operation.
>>
>>53494163
Lubuntu or xubuntu
>>
>>53494163
How about Debian?
>>
what, if any, are the alternatives to libnotify?
>>
>>53500829
Is it ext*? Do this if it is
>sudo tune2fs -m 0 /dev/sda4
>>
>>53501304
That guy is a moron who probably has never used it and has no idea what it is like. Gentoo is masterful if you have the time to put in to it. It's also the most stable distro I've ever used.
>>
>>53493818
Ubuntu is disgusting. Try Mint.
>>
What's the best way to legally use Office on Linux?

Can I just buy Windows 7, install that with Office on a VirtualBox VM and run that in seamless mode?
>>
Ok Im moving to Linux from windows.
Any distro that can suit me?
>I mostly use my pc for listening music , watching movies and Browsing web.
>Also battery life
>I also like it to be clean/neat or without bloat.

Ubuntu is quite slow for me.
>Would also like to try ricing, so any rice friendly distro.
>>
>>53494971
You can change the orange look.

Search for numix, for example.
>>
So how do you people set up your partitions?
I've been thinking of spreading it like this on a disk of 200GB:
/boot -200MB
/ - 20GB
swap - 4GB
/home - the rest
So question is if I wanted to include a /var partition in case of need of package downgrade, 8GB should be enough for that?
Which of these have to be primary, and which can be put under a logical partition?
>>
>>53492443
how botnetty is ubuntu?
>>
>>53502256
Ubuntu is a fat distro, not saying its bad but it may be heavy on older machines.
Use Solus or elementary if you want something good looking
Use pacbang or debian + any lightweight DE if you want something fast and bloatless
Pretty much every single distro is rice friendly
>>
>>53492443
How do you cope with the feel that no distro fits your needs?
>>
>>53500865

Why do you need GTK3 specifically? For an application? Installing that application will definitely pull it in as a dependency.
Either way, the GTK package is called libgtk-3-0 on Debian.
>>
Is making a image 1x1 of a color and repeating it via feh the right way to set a solid color background?
>>
>>53501212

Dunno, but wait a month for Kubuntu 16.04. It will probably have the latest Plasma desktop which should probably be more polished.

>Also is there anything I'm missing out on as a new user by getting the LTS?

Older packages. Go to the Ubuntu packages website and compare versions to see how badly it affects you. For example: the 14.04 LTS version has qBittorrent 3.1.8. The latest 15.10 version has 3.2.3.
>>
>>53501247
Gentoo is a /g/ meme, I advise you to try one of the two mainstream, "just werks" distros: Ubuntu and Fedora (with their respective desktop environment spins).
Ubuntu is aimed at general usage while Fedora is aimed at professional/academic/software development usage, the difference is that Fedora only ships with FOSS and doesn't include comon media codecs or proprietary GPU drivers, but you can easily install them anyway (google is your friend). Aside for that, both are good options for either use case.

When you're used to either of them and you're familiar with troubleshooting yourself, moving around and managing stuff in the terminal then MAYBE and with a grain of salt, you can go balls deep into stuff like Gentoo for funsies but take into account that, with those kind of distros, you won't be doing much more than browsing the internet and compiling code. That's all they're good for, and anything beyond that will be a huge headache.
>>
>>53501711

What's wrong with it?
>>
>>53502799

Unknown feel. There is one which fits all of my needs and it feels great.
>>
>>53502986

Use xsetroot instead. You most likely have it installed (I think it's in the xorg server utils packages on all distributions).

>xsetroot -solid #hex_color_code
>>
>>53501247
>I'm seriously considering gentoo because go big or go home

Horrible idea
Meme shit aside, gentoo is awesome, but it is a pain in the fucking ass to have everything set up,
If you wanna "go big" install debian.

>>53503042
Which is... ?
>>
kernel 4.5 in tumbleweed fucking when!?
>>
>>53503137
Next week according to the news
>>
>>53503061
neat thanks bud
>>
so I switched Debian from GNOME to GNOME Wayland for some dumb reason and now X/gdm is fucked. Whenever I boot it goes to a black screen with a single non-responsive input cursor. I can boot in recovery but when I do "service gdm start" it goes back to that screen

wat do
>>
>>53503108

Arch.

>rolling release
>minimal base to build on
>packages most of the time very close to upstream, no patching or changed defaults
>packages are the latest version (released by upstream)
>definitive package manager (compared to Debian for example with dpkg, apt, aptitude and apt-*)
>easy to create own packages
>>
>>53503173

Can't you choose the session from a drop down menu in GDM? Go back to the standard/X session.
>>
>>53503197
I can't get to any menus, that's the point. I need a terminal command to go back to the regular session
>>
>>53503186
The big flaw is the distinct lack of dependency tracking when you get too greedy with AUR packages. Unless the main repository is completely satisfactory you might as well try Gentoo. The gap from Arch is way smaller than from something like Debian.
>>
>>53497011
It's really odd, after I put any regular command with yum it just says "aborted" and with some commands in specific "aborted ('core' generated)
>>
>>53503247

I don't use the AUR. For the few things that I need, but which aren't in the repository, I have spent 10 minutes reading the packaging guide and created simple PKBUILDs which I "maintain" myself. I don't think it can get easier than that. The AUR actually annoys me. Not the AUR itself, but the people who praise it as something truly amazing and use Arch just because of it. There are idiots who install AUR packages for stuff that's in the main repositories and then they complain that things stop working.

Gentoo's main point seems to be compiling from source and tweaking the compile time options. I don't really need to customize the packages that way, so I don't see the point. Compiling would also probably take too long for me.
>>
>>53503204

Check the .dmrc file in your home directory.
>cat ~/.dmrc
What does it say under Session=?
>>
>>53503340
I don't seem to have that file
>>
>>53503382

Try /var/lib/AccountsService/users/your_name and see what's set under XSession=.
>>
>>53503411
gnome=wayland

as expected, that's the one I switched to before gdm got fucked. How do I switch back to gnome shell?
>>
>>53503435

I don't know what the name of the X GNOME session is, but you should be able to find it in /usr/share/xsesions
>ls /usr/share/xsessions/
and then edit that line in the previous file, changing gnome=wayland to the old one.
>>
>>53492746

Mosi, mosi, Beito-desu?
>>
>>53492443
>"full GNU/Linux experience"
Are there seriously people on /g/ who never used Linux even once?
>>
>>53503507
that did it

thanks a bunch man
>>
Gone try out some linux distro on a older PC (not bought yet and I'm a poorfag). Eventually it will stay as my sons pc for youtube and hopefully studing. Have had little experince with knoppix and [spoiler]kali[/spoiler] live boot cd's. Didn't seem complicated. If everything goes fine them plan on maining linux distro on my pc. The way things are going atm I can see myself going full tinfoil in a near future.

Tl;dr recommend a linux distro for a first timer.
>>
>>53501247
Ubuntu is uncomfortably slow.

install antergos/manjaro (easy), then just switch repos to arch linux.

Arch has a nearly all-encompassing wiki, and a fast package manager.
As a DOS guy you'll love it
>>
>>53503642
"[spoiler]that spoiler part didn't show me in a very good light"[/spoiler]"
>>
What's the best distro for a no-fuss command-line-only live USB I could use for things like storage diagnostics and repair?
>>
>>53503326
Arch makes many assumptions for the user at lower levels of userspace. The most obvious is Systemd which they actually changed the text if their philosophy to accommodate.

use Void if you want a minimal rolling release distro where the user can know everything about their system. it has a better package manager too.
>>
File: deceased.jpg (38 KB, 540x438) Image search: [Google]
deceased.jpg
38 KB, 540x438
>there are people in this thread who have never installed Linux from scratch
>>
>>53501247
Gentoo is a good distro in general, but it makes an awful first distro because it has no hand-holding features like installer or configuration tools, and assumes you understand everything you do.

Install Ubuntu, it has largest userbase, which in turn means huge community, selection of packages, etc. Defaults might be bloated but it's easier to debloat Ubuntu than to install some marginal disto like Arch and deal with it's issues.
>>
>>53503669
>>53503843
both noted, i guess i seriously need some basic distro to warm up then move to big guns.

thanks for the replies.
>>
>install xubuntu
>most games work
>browsing's pretty fast
>mp3 player (cmus) is super lightweight
>interface is super clean

Damn. Feels good, man.
>>
>>53502098
That would work but wine should work as well.
Also:
>buying windows
>>53502799
I make it fit my needs
>>53502690
It has integrated amazon search but that should be removed in 16.04. The trust in canonical is broken however. If you care I would recommend choosing debian testing instead as it runs basically everything that runs on *buntu and it's what *buntu is based on.
>>53502670
Are you sure you are not overdoing it? I usually just use / and /home and make a swap file.
>>
>>53503943
>That would work but wine should work as well.
Wine doesn't support Office 365 which I have access to for free.
>>
>>53503546
A lot, just look at the catalog and read a few posts. But since you said linux, yes they did, because most people run android.
>>
>>53502670
You dont need a seperate /var, even on an ssd.
You're going to cause your self more complex situations if you split /var, much like how its retarded to split /usr anymore, with all the changes.

boot is fine
I would lvm 50gb for / you dont need swap unless you have like 2gb of installed ram.
Make a 100gb lvm for home. This gives you 50gb for future,if your install dosent grow then you can allocate it to home,if it does you can allocate parts of it to the root partition when needed
>>
>>53503822

I'd go with systemd on Void or Gentoo too. The topic were distributions which suit you perfectly for your needs. Arch just does that for me.

>The most obvious is Systemd which they actually changed the text if their philosophy to accommodate.
There's been a message on the mailing list which says there's no such thing as the "Arch philosophy". The only thing they care about is ease of maintainability and systemd does that for them. The next thing they would care about is not having any useless layers of abstraction. I don't care about the first point, since I'm not a maintainer for the distribution, but I do care about the 2nd one.

What's different or what does the Void package manager do that other package managers don't?
>>
File: YES TO THIS DESKTOP BABE.jpg (263 KB, 1200x797) Image search: [Google]
YES TO THIS DESKTOP BABE.jpg
263 KB, 1200x797
How do I do
pragma table_info(X)
without it looking like complete unreadable garbage in sqlite3? I want an actual table shaped table.
>>
>>53492443
latest kernel update fucked the drivers for my memepad's wifi card so now 5GHz networks no longer work. Where and how do I report this?
>>
>>53503997
>I would lvm 50gb for /
so the only partition that needs to be primary is /boot ?
>>
>>53504044

I'd say either here:
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/describecomponents.cgi?product=Drivers
or here:
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/describecomponents.cgi?product=Networking
>>
I'm a beginner and I after test driving a few different distros, I want to try to install Gentoo. I have done the installation a couple of times and I'm familiar with the basics of the installation and some personal fixes I had to do like enable nonfree drivers for my wifi to work from the minimalCD.
Now where I'm stuck is installing GUI like X. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong but it would not work when I finally went to input "startx." Could be the USE flags or something I missed on the init file?

I'm also a bit confused about the users. I familiarized myself a little bit with the file directory format but don't really understand how su vs root user works within that.
>>
>>53504044
>>53504080

Or on your distribution's bugtracker to confirm it's an actual bug. Then the kernel package maintainer can report it upstream.
>>
File: 1364718849998.gif (3 MB, 498x279) Image search: [Google]
1364718849998.gif
3 MB, 498x279
Is there any system-wide parametric equalizer for ganoo/linux? Can i use Photoshop CS6 on Wine or Playonlinux?

I'm thinking in switching but those things are a must.
>>
>>53504052
Correct.
That is alos a big boot,unless you want to play around with multiple distro, or dont compress your main kernel so there is no decompression time and you will get 1-2s quicker boot.

200gb HDD
primary /boot - 200mb
LVM
--Main
---Main-Root - / - 50GB
---Main-Home - /home - 100GB
-Free space - ~49.8GB
>>
>>53504106
awesome, thanks
and the /boot size I mostly got from the arch wiki recommendations
>>
>>53504100

Pulseaudio has a graphic equalizer, not sure about a parametric one.
Can't say about the 2nd issue, because if I had to use Windows software, I'd stay on Windows.
>>
>>53504100
>Can i use Photoshop CS6 on Wine or Playonlinux?
ya
>>
So CentOS will be good for desktop base system for deploying windows 8.1 ( still reading up about pci-e passtrough for muh games) in vm?
I'm currently dual booting but it and I want to run bare metal install of botnet in vm when needed.

I was using debian/ubuntu from 2008 to 2011 (This ended because I bought gpu and visual studio on uni) so I had some basic experience with linux and tweaking it.

What the fuck is this systemd thingie I keep hearing about?
>>
>>53504138
He is just shitposting all week about this. Showing things linux cant do then asking for help,when he cant be bothered to even google.And when he does he gets no answers,even when the answers he wants are on the first page.
>>
>>53504100
>Is there any system-wide parametric equalizer for ganoo/linux?
yep
>Can i use Photoshop CS6 on Wine or Playonlinux?
i've heard people have no trouble with cs6 in wine
>>
>>53504083
>I'm not sure what I am doing wrong but it would not work when I finally went to input "startx."
Post logs, you dimwit
>>
Is Parabola a feasible operating system?
I mean, I think it's a great thing it exists, but how much would the lack of proprietary drivers and stuff affect my usage?
Already have experience with Arch by the way
>>
>>53504145
>CentOS will be good for desktop base system
sure if you like packages from the 1800s
>>
>>53504145
>What the fuck is this systemd thingie I keep hearing about?
a modern init/daemon/system settings management toolset

for a desktop setup, you'd be better with something like ubuntu lts/ubuntu server over centos
>>
>>53504187
If you have the hardware for it its great, if you need proprietary firmware you are fucked. Does vrms nag you?
>>
Does Linux play well with Skylake? I haven't used it since my new build. Is there a minimum kernel version needed or something? Also it's the first time I've had an AMD card. Which drivers do I use?
>>
>>53504145
Redhat likes to make weird changes to their OS, like backporting tons of features so software versions don't match their features anymore. Also packages are kind of stale.

>What the fuck is this systemd thingie I keep hearing about?
It's an init/consolekit/udev/pam/syslog/etc. all-in-one replacement
>>
>>53504187
you might as well use arch if you have no philisophical reasons to avoid non-free software
if you know what you're doing, you won't accidentally use non-free software, and if do need to use some, it will likely be easier to do so from arch than from parabola
>>
>>53504165
Neat, it is available in the fedora repos?

>>53504147
You what m8 i'm legit curious because i need to apply a low-pass filter for my headphones or the treble is overwhelming.

Also i'm used to the PS interface, just a matter of preference.
>>
>>53504233
>Neat, it is available in the fedora repos?
possibly, i'm just use a combination of pulseaudio, jack2, and calf studio tools
>>
>>53504187

Which GPU do you have? Which network devices? Any other special hardware? Check if you're using free drivers for those. If the answer is yes, then you should be able to use Parabola. Consider that some of the packages you're using are proprietary and will be missing from Parabola's repository.
>>
>>53504187
>Is Parabola a feasible operating system?
If you don't use any peripheral devices beyond keyboard and mouse, don't play games or watch HD video, then yes
>>
>>53503997
>You're going to cause your self more complex situations if you split /var, much like how its retarded to split /usr anymore, with all the changes
How exactly?
>>
>>53504233
I remeber you a while ago. You derailed the entire thread,and multiple people showed you how to do it, but it was "too convoluded to bother with" and photoshopt 6 "running in wine is too hard when i could do it on windows" and you refused to even attempt using gimp.

Also
Dont use a shity headphones? You sound like an elitist audiophile so why do you have such a shitty pair if you need to do any modification to it, of this signifiance
>>
>>53504223
Skylake is supported fully since ~4.3
>>
>>53504187
As long as your hardware is compatible it's good to go. Namely your GPU and network card. Everything else is very likely to work. You can also migrate from Arch to Parabola without needing to reinstall.
Search it on parabola wiki (apparently 4chink thinks the link is spam
>>
>>53504258
That's bullshit.
>>
>>53504280
Then point me to the archive where it was asked how to do so because i'm not him instead of rambling you fucking autist.

But they sound good aside from a peak in trebles and i'm not an "elitist audiophile" whatever it means.
>>
>>53504206

>a modern init/daemon/system settings management toolset
So someone reinvented the wheel again?

Hmm I just want stable platform to browse internet tubes with media playback and virtualization capabilities.

I am not afraid to get my hands dirty with CLI but i dont want to do update half of fucking system everyday.
>>
File: 1454589849301.png (200 KB, 900x909) Image search: [Google]
1454589849301.png
200 KB, 900x909
>>53504341
You,yet again, refuse to do anything for your self.
>not him
Sure,ok,keep lying,you're the only one to ever ask such a question in these threads ever.
>rambling
You kept doing so in those thread(10 maybe so far) and refused to take suggested methods

>audio
If they are so good you wouldnt need to be using a filter.Correct?
>>
guys i have a fucking nvidia optimus laptop (gt 710M / HD 3000) and i cant get the nvidia-352 driver working (or any nvidia driver) It installs and boots and everything but nvidia-settings doesnt show anything. Ubuntu 15.10. Halp? ;3
>>
Is there an equivalent to Moonlight or Kino for Linux desktops?
>>
>>53504368

>So someone reinvented the wheel again?
No, someone invented rubber wheels, replacing wooden ones.

Your internet browsing and media playback will in no way be influenced by the init/system management software.
>>
>>53492443

>built in antivirus protection

False. No one uses it including malware authors.

Security through obscurity is not security.
>>
File: 1438757337855.gif (4 MB, 426x284) Image search: [Google]
1438757337855.gif
4 MB, 426x284
>>53504437
Until systemd breaks on an update,and logind is throwing a fit BUT you cant see why because journald ALSO bit the bullet

Not to mention you need to check upwards of 4 places to find out what could be going wrong,instead of /etc/rc.d/MEH|/etc/MEH.config
>>
Is Archbang any good?
>>
>>53502670
On GPT I'd make a 512M EFI partition and / on the rest.
I used to do it but don't find a desperate /home worth it anymore. Dotfiles in the home directory cause trouble on different distros: most don't but some do and that's a real problem, it's just not smoothly interchangeable.
Don't use swap anymore either, 8GB RAM is plenty, don't need hibernate.

It's handy to not have to resize partitions when either / or /home runs full, it's nice and KISS having them on one partition.
>>
>>53503910
This

Just installed 16.04 beta 1
Feels pretty fucking good
>>
>>53504499

When was the last time systemd broke on an update for you? It's practically impossible to happen. Unless you're building it yourself every day from git.

>Not to mention you need to check upwards of 4 places to find out what could be going wrong,instead of /etc/rc.d/MEH|/etc/MEH.config

No, you have one place to check it, just like you'd check with your other logging system. If your concerns or opinions were valid, more people would talk about and fix it. Except that there's nothing to fix and most of the use cases/errors have already been covered. But I guess you enjoy discussing it really superficially to appear knowledgeable, while complaining about things which don't affect you, but you heard others say. Better start a separate thread for that.
>>
Is there a way to install Xubuntu or any distro without a swap file, and is it available in the default graphical installer?

I have 8gb meme memory and I don't need a swap any more
>>
>>53504664

How big is your hard drive? Will the 8GB loss or less hurt you badly? Will it be worth saving them compared to the potential issues you might face?
You should be able to install Ubuntu like that. Just choose "manual" during the partitioning part of the installation.
>>
What is the most minimal linux distro now? I"m used to running gentoo.
>>
>>53499309
Set the network adapter to bridge mode. The machine running the VM won't be able to see the VM on the network (and vice versa) as I understand it, but other machines will see it as a normal machine.
>>
>>53504717
Gentoo or lfs.
>>
>>53504687
It's a SSD, so yeah that loss does kinda hurt. Thanks. So I basically just set up a single ext4 partition that holds everything? If I do this manually, would setting up dm-crypt + LUKS be an asspain or is it straightforward in the graphical installer?

Also would you recommend btrfs?
>>
>>53504737
Never heard of lfs?
>>
File: 1457010913355.png (46 KB, 152x265) Image search: [Google]
1457010913355.png
46 KB, 152x265
I have to talk about Open source and free sofwtares for 10 minutes in front of my class.

What can I say about it except the difference between the two concept ?
I feel no passion for the subject.
>>
>>53504757
Linux from scratch
>>
>>53504785
Talk about how big the community support is. How many people help with its development and its security. How is this hard to do?
>>
>>53504785
>I feel no passion for the subject.
Then why do you talk about it?
Gnu.org is a good resource on this.
>>
>>53492443
When will Vulkan hit? The times comes near when I HAVE to switch because Windows 10 and the only other option is Apple.

I need to play Mass Effect Andromeda on it.

Is there anyone actually using Linux for browsing and productivity as a Windows replacement?
>>
>>53504785
>I feel no passion for the subject.
Why the hell not?
>>
I installed Linux Mint Cinnamon on an old Macbook Pro I had laying around. I have never used Linux before. What do I do first?
>>
>>53504825
As soon as developers use it. Should be 1-3 years since most major engines are implementing it atm.
A lot of people, governments and companies use GNU/Linux.
>>
>>53504830
>>53504822
Because I don't really care and there were so many better subjects but I fucked myself for choosing to late.
>>
>>53504859
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8eSog_bhsk
>>
>>53504876
Let me guess. You play League of Legends.
>>
>>53503830
>having this much free time
>>
I'm about to install Debian, what am I in for?
>>
>>53504876
>millenials
>>
>>53504738

For safety, just in case, use a swap file. Spare like, 1GB for it, just in case something requires one. Doesn't that also mean you won't be able to hibernate?
No idea about the encryption issues; haven't bothered with it yet. Same thing with "alternate" file systems. Ext4 works well for me and probably for you. Unless you have really specific requirements that you need from a file system, I wouldn't bother with them and the possible trouble for no gain.
>>
>>53504891
>sooh-dooh
Stopped listening right there
>>
>>53504876

Out of curiosity, what were the other "good" subjects? I assume something in this >>53504908 fashion.
>>
>>53504738
>It's a SSD, so yeah that loss does kinda hurt.
You shouldn't be filling up your SSD to the point where the size of a swap partition matters anyway.

It's also nice to have one if you ever want to hibernate.
>>
>>53504949
meme magic
>>
>installs fedora
>pc hangs every once in a while ONLY when using Firefox and open source drivers
thanks
>>
File: Capture.png (51 KB, 918x548) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
51 KB, 918x548
>>use ganoo linocks, it's really good and m$$$ sux and doesn't give any detailed information
>try to install a package for Fedora
>get "something happened" levels of diagnostic information
Nice GANOO/operating system, faggots.
>>
>>53504661
228 was the most recent one.229 went without a hitch suprisingly.
>228
logind shit its self and there were ZERO logs because journald shit its self.Couldnt even get in to emergency mode.
>other logging system
There are no other loggers that report on systemd,except systemd.
>one place
/etc/systemd/system
/usr/lib/systemd/user
/home/<user>/.config/systemd/user

>HHUUUUURURURUURRRRR
>ITS NEVER HAPPENED TO ME SO ITS IMPOSSIBLE
>DUUUURRRRR
Lennert is notoirus for not fixing BLATENET problems,because he has some holyier then though attitude and "that is how it should work,i dont care about bad things happening"

https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/2402
>>
File: 1358823788025.jpg (74 KB, 478x598) Image search: [Google]
1358823788025.jpg
74 KB, 478x598
Anybody mind helping me out?

I'm running Debian Testing and I want to install a package, Krita. Problem is, Krita hasn't been on synaptic for months now. Looking for the package on the debain repository for testing does return a package, but when I try to install it manually, it sends me in a spiral of dependencies that it apparently can't meet.

Compiling from source would require to compile Calligra, too, and I don't wanna go down that path. Some people say that Krita is all fine on unstable, but I kind of don't want to switch to it.

Any tits or ideas on what I could do?
>>
>>53504891
Im not familiar with the commands for Linux, number 2 was to get codecs, but I'm assuming the syntax will be different because of a different distribution?
>>
>>53504966
sudo stands for substitute user do.

su-do
soo-doo is correct pronounciation
>>
>>53504999
>>53505000
trips fedora-is-shitmind
>>
>>53504949
Freedom
>>53505002
Don't they provide a .deb? Upgrading to unstable is the easiest after that.
>>
>>53504908
No

>>53504994
I don't know. There was
- Big Data
- Data Mining
- Crowdfunding
- Crowdsourcing

And other things I don't remember.
>>
>>53505002
Dont use debian,or a shitty package manager that cant handle deps properly.
Check for a user repo or what ever you debian folks use for software that devs dont include for philisophical reason
Also you dont have to compile calligra
>>
>>53505013
Mint = ubuntu +delayed packages and some more non-free stuff
The commands are the same. You can search for "x things to do after installing mint <version number>".
>>
>>53505000
dnf install cris-dist
>>
>>53505060
You literally got the best topic, just watch a few stallman speeches and read the open source definition by bruce perens and you are good to go.
>>
>>53505001

You can output the logs to a text file and check them with something that's not journald.
What's wrong with those directories you listed? The one in /etc is for system wide services, the one in /usr/lib should only be touched by your package manager and the one in your /home for user specific files. What does that have to do with systemd breaking? You won't find any issues in the service files most likely anyway.

Yes, I somehow suspected you'd mention that UEFI "bug". There's a reasonable reply, not just from him, but from others too. Someone else from the kernel side took the blame, stating that it's not systemd's fault. If you have suggestions, why don't you state them and your arguments on the bug tracker instead of parroting things on an anonymous image based internet forum?
>>
>>53504949
Good Parts:
Giant repos. If you want it, Debian probably packages it. Non-free stuff isn't enabled by default, but its there if you want it.
The default flavor, stable, lives up to its name. One of the big server distros along with CentOS/RHEL since shit just doesn't break.

Bad Parts:
Stable is infamous for running behind the curve, it's on kernel 3.16. You have to run testing if you want a more up-to-date rolling-release deal, and even testing falls significantly behind in the runup to a stable release.
Uses Apt as a package manager.
>>
Kubuntu or xubuntu? Jesus christ there are so many damn distros.
>>
>>53505174
It's literally the same distro with a different desktop environment. Xfce (the one in xubuntu)is nice, kde is a sin.
>>
>>53505042
total coincidence.
>>
>>53505174
xubuntu, kde is a shiny but evil turd
>>
>>53505166
Another pro would be the choice between stable, testing and unstable.
>>
>>53505027
>sudo stands for substitute user do.
Yes

>soo-doo is correct pronounciation
No.

Even if you argue that command abbreviations should be pronounced like the original words rather than the phonetic spelling of the shortening, that doesn't hold at all.
It's super-user-do, not super-do, so it would not be 'su-doo', that is missing out 'user' entirely, it would be 'syew-doo'.

You can try saying it like that if you really want, people will just think you have a lisp.
>>
>>53505013
cool, thanks,
>>
>>53505199
>>53505214
Thanks, I was thinking of dual-booting linux but I didn't know what distro to pick. Xubuntu is it then.
>>
>>53505212
>coincidence
Yeah sure
>>
>>53505123
Not if you cannot get in to the system at all.
(root,only other user on the system)
Booting in to a livecd was moot,as there was nothing to check via logs.Noting was recorded.

>bug tracker
Because if you dont know 50 languages,have 100 programs in the world,and have donated to the dev. No one gives a fuck what you report.I've filed many bug reports over the year,with detaied logs/traces,and detailed use case.They were either ignored,shut down WONTFIX or they turned in to a clusterfuck of people arguing.
I dont bother reporting anything now.If its that big of an issue i downgrade or use something else.The linux community is extremenly toxic,even the devs them selves.

>uefi
So they acknowledge it can be a problem,but refuse to do one single character change,because Lenneart is being himself as he has been with EVERY FUCKING PROJECT HE TOUCHES and dosent give a fuck about the users,which is what he is devloping for ultimatly.
>>
>>53492443
>It has built-in free anti-virus protection
no it doesn't
>>
File: Capturar.png (6 KB, 412x99) Image search: [Google]
Capturar.png
6 KB, 412x99
>>53505243
I don't have problems with installing packages. It's just that fucking Firefox freezes my PC when used with open source drivers. Xorg says I should not report the bug because it's a "Fedora beta package". Way to go with shitty unstable packages.
>>
>>53505121
Well what I need is a table of contents that will allow me to talk for 10 minutes. Not more than that. What I'm gonna talk about for now

- Differences between Open Source and Free software
- Quick talk about GPU/ Linux
- Quick talk about Richard Stallman
- Economical aspect.

What else can I talk about ?
>>
>>53505260
Yes it has, it's called permissions and security updates.
>>
>>53505246

How do you boot with a different init system (disregarding that systemd isn't just that) when your init system is broken?

Your point about them not listening is silly and I don't know what it has to do with the initial argument.

What change do you want to do regarding the UEFI problem? To make it not writable? How would that work if you do need to write to it at certain situations? You could have read that in the bug report that you posted yourself. It's not a systemd issue. Go and complain to the UEFO consortium or whoever is in charge of the specification or your hardware vendors for not implementing it properly.
>>
>>53505288
The difference between permissive licenses like the mit and licenses like the gpl for example.
>>
>>53505288

The ethical side. Not locking in knowledge. Tools being free (as in freedoom) for everyone. Use simple analogies and metaphors.
>>
>>53505325
Have you ever hosed your system randomly useing flashrom,to a point you have to physically desolder and resolder after a flash?
I never have.
The good thing about root level access,is wait for it.........................It can do the fuck it wants!!!!!!!#@!@!@#!#!#

Set permissions to ro by default and,get this this is going to blow your fucking mind,when a program needs to acces it,hold your shit here,IT
MOUNTS
IT
RW

HOLY SHIT
let me get a drink here. damn

>NOT MY VAULT

So a car company notices an issue with the braking system on certain batch of cars.
NOT MY VAULT
Go talk to the brake producting company.I didnt do it,they did.Let the consumer talk to the production plant instead of the dealer.
Its not their fault though its it? The results of what happens is not the manager of the dealerships problem
>>
File: a.png (918 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
a.png
918 KB, 1920x1080
Usually use Manjaro i3,got a new computer and now use Xubuntu. The GUI doesn't show when I move my mouse on MPV so I use VLC, on the main screen it's fine but when using my TV Ubuntu only allows 24hz and I get lines on the screen when it flashes or moves too much (tearing?)
Thanks
>>
>>53505435
If you are asking a question, ask a question.
Install compton and disable xfces compositor
>>
>>53505494
Will compton affect the video and allow me to get >24hz on the tv screen on Ubuntu using VLC for chink cartoons, or would MPV fix this. If MPV would fix this how do I get the GUI working?

Sorry for being so shit at asking there.
>>
>>53505540
mpv has no gui
>>
>>53505068
>>53505052
Fuck me.
I know there's an Ubanto rep, I don't think there's a debian one.
>>
>>53505435
>made Xfce look almost exactly like Windows Classic
I like you. How did you do that?
>>
Why do people still use icons on the desktop?
Isnt that like 90's tech?
>>
>>53505553
Ubango shit usually works fine on debian.
>>
>>53505002
I'd suggest you stop running testing and migrate to sid.
Krita/calligra is waiting for few packages before it can go into testing, so either you wait or compile.
You can check the current status here.
https://release.debian.org/migration/testing.pl?package=calligra

Tbh sid is much much better, you wont get hit with broken dependency chains and will get bug fixes much faster.
The only downside is that you need to be more aware when updating, as things might not work.
I've got hit on my few sid systems like 2 times in last 7 years, and both could have been averted, if I weren't just blind upgrading.
On the other hand testing has borked way more, just because of packages missing or transitions issues.

Also regardless of testing or sid, it's very important to run upgrade && dist-upgrade combo back to back. Since only the latter will do new installs or removals, which happen quite frequently on testing/sid.
>>
>>53505540
Compton is a compositor that will be able to fix your screen tearing. Tvs sometimes are only capable of displaying 24 real fps. Which tv is it?
Could you post your lain wallpaper?
>>
>>53505552
From when I just installed it on Manjaro I would move my mouse and pic related would happen, I don't get this anymore.
>>53505554
Haha, thanks. I installed Xubuntu and put the bar to the bottom (right click, panel, panel prefrences, uncheck lock panel, drag panel to bottom, recheck lock panel, go to appearance tab of panel and check background is none). Put the two folders into ~/.themes and then just checked them. You might want to try a more accurate theme or font but this is just a quickie I made so I'm not using default.
Also Classic 95 icons.
Might want to rename it or press Ctrl+h to show hidden files due to me not changing the name.
Here's the themes:
https://my.mixtape.moe/ljtobu.zip
>>
>>53505630
Not him but I want to upgrade from stretch to sid myself, is there anything I need to be aware of other than using dist-upgrade by default? I think I am in the right mailinglists already but I am not entirely sure what I need.
>>
>>53505690
Forgot pic.
>>
>>53505730
That's a something like --pseudo-gui or so. Read man mpv.
>>
>>53505630
The only reasons I haven't jumped to sid is cause I've been told it's way too common to get broken OS entirely for a few days. Is that true?
>>
how easy would it be to upgrade from 16.04 beta 1 to beta 2 once it comes out?
>>
>>53505401

>it mounts it RW
What's preventing you or the program from fucking it up then? Nothing, it's still possible to ruin things. You seem to be grasping at straws with poor analogies too. Like I said, if you know so much about it, there should be people who want to listen to your well thought out and put arguments stemming from your expertise.
>>
File: Lain2.jpg (347 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Lain2.jpg
347 KB, 1920x1080
>>53505670
I've seen the TV work clearer using another computer.

Toshiba 40kv701B

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-40BV701B-40KV701B-discontinued-manufacturer/dp/B0056Z77VE
>>
>>53505730
>>53505762

I think he means the OSD. Check your config and see if the OSD option is enabled.
The pseudo-GUI is that empty window which says "Drag video onto this" or something, I think.
>>
>>53505826
rm -rf efivars
ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR FILESYSTEM IS MOUNTED RO.

>deflecting
>wants to argue but realizes his "target" is coherent enough to call him on his bullshit
>deflecting
>deflecting
>thinking posting with an patronising ton makes him seem smart or a bigger person

Anything else?
>>
>>53505868

What happens when something runs rm efivars while it was mounted with write permissions?
>>
>>53505585
cause folk are set in their ways and also don't know about muh hotkeys
>>
File: 1437692862142.png (593 KB, 966x720) Image search: [Google]
1437692862142.png
593 KB, 966x720
>>53505898
<start>
mount -o remount efivars rw
commands commands fucking commands
fucking your mother.shh
<done>
mount -o remount eficars ro

Now you're grasping at straws.
>>
what's the easiest way to create a "system restore" image in Linux? Meaning a total backup of everything so I can recover from it whatever I fuck up
>>
>>53505960
dd
>>
What's the best battery optimized distro?
>>
>>53505960
rsync
>>
File: screenFetch-2016-03-15_18-28-59.png (393 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2016-03-15_18-28-59.png
393 KB, 1920x1080
>>53505858
>>53505670
Here you go
https://my.mixtape.moe/bttcvs.zip

What's all this about LUA?
>>
>>53505940
Who keeps you from remounting efivars ro in your system?
>>
>>53505998
meh, for system snapshots I think rsnapshot is better, here's the site if you're unfamiliar with it
http://rsnapshot.org/
>>
>>53505834
I have a very hard time finding a datasheet for this TV, but can you tell me what xrandr tells you with it? thanks for the pape.
>>
>>53505718
Nope, actually the recommended method is to upgrade from testing to sid as there are no sid install isos.
I usually do a very minimal testing, update repos to sid and run tasksel again.
There could be some issues if you have a lot of software installed, but I don't think you will run into major issues since most major transitions are over.

>>53505769
It's not common at all, but you need to watch apt more closely what it's doing.
Ie. sometimes apt will complain about broken dependencies, in that case you abort and just won't upgrade, wait for few days/hours for it resolve and try again until it goes trough cleanly, that's how it usually goes.

apt-listbugs is a good tool to use before every upgrade, that way you see critical bugs that could influence the system.
Also debian-goodies package has few other handy tools to deal with upgrades, checkrestart/popbugs/which-pkg-broke.

Just remember upgrade is "non invasive" and will _only_ upgrade installed software if possible without issues and nothing more, but dist-upgrade will add/remove packages if needed.
So just "apt-get upgrade" is generally very safe.
So you will want to run "apt-get dist-upgrade" after each regular upgrade, but abort if it seems it's doing something nasty.
man apt-get to see more indepth differences.

I run "apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade" almost daily and in 99% cases it goes without hich.
>>
>>53506026
So you're ok with a GAPPING HOLE in your system,that if somehow it gets deleted,THE SOFTWARE ON YOUR MOTHERBOARD WILL BVE DELETED. Can you logicaly unironically say you're ok with this?

Explain another situation where this is possible.
DESTROYING the FIRMWARE on your motherboard.
There is nothing on a system that will do that.

Give me your ip and a key to connect to your ssh server.Why would you need to protect it?"
>>
>>53505230
>It's super-user-do
It's not ya dingus.

su is substitute user.
the syntax goes like
su <login>

If login is not specified it defaults to root.
>>
>>53505987

You can install TLP on any distribution.
>>
>>53506063
>There could be some issues if you have a lot of software installed
well i do have 2080 packages installed, but no proprietary software other than some microcode. should i take the risk or do a reinstall?
>>
>>53506044
That looks like an entire unnedded cluster fuck for something so simple
>>
>>53506072
Efivars are not firmware

Also, shit has been fixed in the kernel already, why do you continue to cry for a fix?
>>
>>53506072

There are at least 2 people who have told you why you're wrong, yet you keep posting as if nothing happened. You're acting as if you found out something that no one else has before and that no one else has offered actual solutions and reasons why it's the way it is.
>>
File: Screenshot - 150316 - 18:43:00.png (826 KB, 3840x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot - 150316 - 18:43:00.png
826 KB, 3840x1080
>>53506059
I usually only use one screen at a time, it's on an all in one so I disable the monitor and watch on my tv or just unplug tv.
>>
>>53506102
ok, if he/you don't want to use rsnapshot, the guide they reference that gave them the idea for it seems pretty good
http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/
>>
File: 1427109865383.png (13 KB, 248x185) Image search: [Google]
1427109865383.png
13 KB, 248x185
>>53506109
My point stands about leenart not givng a single fuck about anything,And risking your system for the sake of being a complete cunt with "righteous" motives.Who is to say he isnt doing this behind the scenes and no one notices something before it is to late.Or the "fix" take "too long to implement" and they WONTFIX because the next version fixes this issue,and they are so close to next milesone they dont bother.So for the MONTHS in between this gapping whole is there.

Are you honstly this autistic?
>>
>>53506137
I may of accidentallt fixed it by changing drivers to
>>53506021 (bottom right)

There might still be issues with tearing though and I still have no clue what is meant by Lua needed for the mpv gui.
>>
>>53506084
Yeah sorry, even though the post I quoted said "substitute user" my brain filled in the blanks with "super user".

Anyway, the 'u' in sudo still comes from "user" so the expected pronunciation would be syew-doo. I'm not saying this is wrong either, but jesus is that awkward or what.

I'd rather just spend the rest of my life saying "soo-doh" and have people think I'm stupid than ever have to say "syew-doo" in front of another living person.
>>
>>53506125
>told systemd isnt shit and my case experiance could NEVER HAPPEN EVER
>systemd just NEVER BREAKS EVER EVER EVER
>present case where it has
>goes on and on about how it is impossible dispite multiple instancs where it is.

>offered
The whole(s) are still open and not fixed.So yes it is an issue,not being addressed.
>>
>>53506063
>apt-listbugs is a good tool to use before every upgrade, that way you see critical bugs that could influence the system.

I worded that poorly, apt-listbugs runs everytime you do an upgrade and will query the bugtracker for serious bugs that might affect packages to be upgraded and then it let's you pin the packages if you wish, so they aren't upgraded.
By default it only looks severe bugs, but you change that in the conf file IIRC /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/*apt-listbugs*
>>
>>53506154
Yes, that's your whole point. You hate Lennart. That's fine, that's acceptable, but you are still an annoying fucker who keeps crying over a problem that's not really a big problem anyway. You also keep calling efivars firmware, which they are not, despite being told so numerous times already to make the problem sound way worse than it ever was.

Actually you are just helping Lennart by making his opponents seem retarded.
>>
>>53492443
If I want to run 10 programs in secuence without doing 10 fork()s like a loser is there anyway I can get the bash to simply do:
execute p1 >> nigger.txt
execute p2 >> nigger.txt
execute p10 >> nigger.txt
without having to type 10 sentences everytime I want to do this?
is there a way to write the 10 commands and make the bash execute them in order?
>>
File: 1448695756138.png (177 KB, 697x768) Image search: [Google]
1448695756138.png
177 KB, 697x768
>>53506241
Go delete them and see how much of NOT HARDWARE they are.

Hope you can solder
>>
So, this GPT/MBR business...I've never had to use UEFI with my motherboard, though it seems to recognize what it is. Can I use GPT without the hassle of UEFI secure mode or whatnot? Is there any reason to do so if on a desktop machine?
>>
>>53506099
Well I'd go for it, and if it does break, I don't think it will be anything major you can't recover from.
In general it's better to do it with a minimal base, so it lessens the needed upgrades and you can fetch your software from sid straight.
But it's your system, and always be prepared so get a live iso ready just in case.
>>
>>53506293
You most likely already use UEFI, it just emulates old BIOS behavior.
GPT has nothing do with secure boot and is the new standard, MBR is legacy.
>>
>>53506276
Wait, did I give you too much credit and you really don't know the difference between efivars and firmware?
>>
File: 1448205568202.jpg (268 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1448205568202.jpg
268 KB, 500x500
>>53506423
>>
>>53506267

By using && ?
>>
>>53506462
that works, but can I really not feed the bash input from another file?
>>
Whats /g/ opinion on AntergOS?

Im looking for a lightweight and good looking distro, arch seems to fit my needs the best but i dont wanna go throught all the hassle to install it.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.