[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My rig shat the bed when the SSD bricked and as a result I lost
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
My rig shat the bed when the SSD bricked and as a result I lost a shit ton of important personal data.

Been using a cheapo laptop until now that I have the money for a new setup. I've decided to stick with mechanical drives as their failure isn't nearly as abrupt or permanent unless someone can convince me otherwise.
>>
Anyone who refers to their computer as a rig needs to fucking shoot themselves
>>
>>53492154
what ssd was it, anon?
>>
>>53492154
Do you imagine if you just used your SSD for the OS and installed programs as /g/ did tell you and not for storage, and now you would still keep your data
>>
>>53492154
Betting Kingston or OCZ ssd
>>
>>53492154
so how exactly did you break your SSD to hard that it didn't go read-only, but instead completely broke? Power surge? Dropped it? Drilled a hole in it?
>>
>>53492154
>and as a result I lost a shit ton of important personal data.
The problem isn't the SSD, the problem is you're a retard who doesn't back up said important data. If your HDD dies on you abruptly (which no matter what you say, they absolutely can do that) you're back to the same issue before.

Let this be a lesson to you. Make backups you fucktard, regardless of your primary storage medium.
>>
>>53492419
Mushkin Chronos
>>
>>53492712
>Sandforce controller
You dun goof'd.
>>
>>53492154
The real lesson here is that you should back up important data. You know what happens if my hard drive dies right now? Like if someone smashes it with a hammer? I don't lose any data.
>>
>>53492779
>Like if someone smashes it with a hammer? I don't lose any data.
What if they're psycho and smash your NAS/backup drives too?
>>
>>53492471
this
spinning rust is still good for bulk data storage
>>
>>53494168
so they simultaneously break into two separate locations?
>>
>>53494217
Yes, they're an organised gang of psycho's...
>>
isnt this the biggest reason people use ssd's solely for replaceable stuff like games? dont put personal stuff on an ssd next time, and use an ssd as well as an hdd?
>>
>read about SSDs
>OCZ has cheap ones but boy do they fail
>get 60GB crucial SSD, not fastest but little to no reported dead drives
>years pass
>want to upgrade moms laptop with a SSD
>holy crackers, everything fails so quickly
what went wrong? where's my 10+yr lifespan, I keep seeing 8-9mo lifespans on newegg.
>bought her a single platter HDD and a USB flash drive to backup to instead
>>
OP is an idiot for at least two reasons.

First, you whole computer doesn't "shit the bed" if the ssd dies, you replace the drive and it's good again.

Second, you're just thinking of building another computer and not considering the actually important part: the backups you didn't make before.
>>
>>53492154
>IT WAS THE HARDWARE'S FAULT!
>Bought a cheapo SSD without looking at reliability figures

It'll happen again, I guarantee it
>>
>i bought a cheap shit SSD and it failed so SSDs are less reliable and I'm going back to HDDs!
>>
>>53492154
>he kept all the important stuff on his SSD
huge mistake mein negro

always be prepared for SSD for shit out unexpectedly and expect the same from drives as well
>>
File: 1435225248333.png (357 KB, 397x402) Image search: [Google]
1435225248333.png
357 KB, 397x402
>no backups

You had it coming.
>>
i switch to an ssd because my HDD bricked.
less moving parts and all.
nowadays you should be able to easily back up your important data in several locations.
i put my important stuff in a folder and copy it to each hard drive. update whenever i change it.

you can also use dropbox. if it's sensitive you can encrypt it or just use multiple local drives.
>>
Yep, that's how SSDs work.
The memes about them having limited writes was a false flag, the real problem with SSDs is that they die randomly without warning regardless as to how much their memory was written to.
>>
>current year
>not having backups
git good pleb
>>
File: 1332476567352.png (122 KB, 262x259) Image search: [Google]
1332476567352.png
122 KB, 262x259
>>53492488
>OCZ
is recycled samsung modules still a thing with these shill lords?
>>
>>53500202
I haven't heard any bad reviews on their newest Trion 150, but holy hell I wouldn't touch the trion 100 with a thousand foot pole. Even now, I'd wait a few months to see of it has some terrifyingly bad firmware bug or some shit, this coming from a guy who bought a 960gb trion 150 for well under 200 burgers.
>>
>>53494238
Then the least of his problems is the lost data
>>
>>53500013
My HDD bricked and I lost a shit ton of important data.

I've decided to stick with SSD as storage unless someone can convince me otherwise.
>>
>>53492351
fucking this
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.