[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the easiest programming language for a complete beginner?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 3
File: CddpwSUUMAA9HoS.jpg large.jpg (153 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
CddpwSUUMAA9HoS.jpg large.jpg
153 KB, 1024x768
What's the easiest programming language for a complete beginner?
>>
ruby
>>
>>53489521
this, python or JS.
>>
>>53489499
>easiest

Don't learn the easiest. Learn the language that'll teach you the most about core programming concepts.

That language is C.
>>
>>53489499
Like >>53489556 said, Python or JavaScript.
>>
>>53489556
the syntax is just more beginner friendly

start with whatever you want OP

german or french?
>>
>>53489499
python for beginners, then move on to C to understand how the machine works
>>
>>53489521
Holy fuck... NO.
>>
>>53489499
>a more equal future for all
A nuke does that
>>
Assembly
>>
There's literally nothing wrong with that picture.
>>
>>53489614
That be a waste of a nuke
>>
Next you'll be asking what I am;

I have nailed down classes, functions/methods, arrays and understand program flow, have no problems with variable scope and inheritance.

Question is, what do I do now? I have no ideas for programs.

C#, if it matters.
>>
>>53489710
Er, are you OP? And already know a language?
>>
>>53489755
No i'm not OP, and yeah I know what I just listed in C#, I just don't know what to do now.
>>
>>53489770
Why the fuck are you asking in someone else's thread?
>>
Don't fall for the "beginner language" meme. They're all a waste of time and you'll learn faster by picking up the language you actually plan to work with and not just use as a learning tool.
>>
Just learn C are be done with it.
>>
>>53489608
why not?
>>
>>53489872
What if I'm unsure about what I want to work with? I want to learn about programming as a whole before I decide what area I want to go into and what kind of programs I want to write. What language is best for that?
>>
>>53489894
Ruby is a "ninja rockstar" meme language and is certainly not good for beginners. Just because you like it personally doesn't make it good for someone to learn the basics.

Don't recommend dynamic languages for beginners.
>>
>>53489921
I started with VBASIC back in the day, but I wouldn't recommend that now.

Maybe read about OOP and Linear programs, learn the different archetypes and how they affect program flow etc, before coming to any one.

Despite what people say here, there is absolutely nothing wrong with just screwing around in python for a few hours, that's what got me started.
>>
>>53489921
C
>>
scheme.

you can learn the syntax in 5 minutes so you can focus on the actual programming
>>
I would recommend Python but it's boring as fuck. Try Go, you'll have fun.
>>
>>53490026
This

Go made me see a new light
>>
>>53489983
>>53489986

I have been learning C since December and just recently started CS50x which uses a few different languages. I have a decent grasp on the basics.

I can't imagine that what I'll be doing with programming in the future will use C though, so I'm not sure whether or not it'll inevitably become dead weight. I certainly understand why it's so good for learning about programming though. It has forced me to learn a lot of low level concepts and systems.
>>
>>53489965
>"ninja rockstar" meme language

10/10 argument
>>
Python & Ruby is shit. Both eat your time.

*VisualBasic.Net is easyest language.
>>
>>53489786
relax
>>
>>53490093

C already is obsolete for 99% of programmers, these days it's only used for kernels and embedded stuff.
>>
>>53490224
Probably useful as a learning tool though. Like a good buildup to C++.

And can't you use it for certain parts of programs to improve performance?
>>
>>53489521
Do yourself a favor and learn C first. If not C, then learn Pascal. Pascal is easier, teaches the same concepts while encouraging better habits, and can do anything C can, but it's all but dead these days, so eventually you will likely need C. Picking C up after Pascal is no problem, and picking any other language up after C or Pascal is no problem.

C isn't that bad though. Nothing like people make it out to be. It's relatively small and simple. The problem is that it encourages bad habits, which turn reading and maintaining code into a huge nightmare. Avoid those habits, and you'll be doing great. Better than the majority of C programmers, especially the ones who decided to learn to "code" in something like Python, or Ruby first.

If you want a good example of C done fucking right, then take a look at the OpenBSD source code. Learn, and adhere to the project's standards for correct code, and you will be doing yourself a huge fucking favor.
>>
>>53489521
>>53490297

Meant that for >>53489499
>>
>>53489499

What do you think about /pol/ threads in non-/pol/ boards?
>>
>>53489965
Why not? It's really not hard to move to static languages after you have experience with dynamic languages. You still have to learn about data types in order to use Ruby, so it's not that much of a jump to move to languages that are slightly more strict in their typing systems
>>
>>53490468
There are tons more resources out there for Python. In fact, I've never, ever seen a school or college use Ruby for programming 101.

I mean, I use PHP these days because my job requires me to, but I wouldn't recommend someone starting off programming to run PHP, far from it.
>>
>>53490093
In that case C++
>>
>>53490506
I agree that python is better. It's my favorite programming language and it's not dying like Ruby is, but they're pretty similar syntactically and either one is just fine for learning programming concepts
>>
>>53489499
https://processing.org/ you cannot go wrong with this Anon.
>>
>>53489499
INTERCAL, obviously. What other language is as polite and well designed.
>>
>>53490093
>I can't imagine that what I'll be doing with programming in the future will use C though, so I'm not sure whether or not it'll inevitably become dead weight
That's not the point of learning C. The reason you should learn C is because it's designed around how computers work, so you will be able to understand any non-joke language pretty easily.
>>
Python is the best language for starting out. Once you have a good grasp on the basics move to C.
>>
C is one of the worst to start with.

VB.NET if often quoted but honestly you could start with C# just as easily. They are identical except for what amounts to minor syntax differences.

Xojo is a little obscure (never see it mentioned here) but is a great cross platform IDE that's as easy to learn as .NET. It has a syntax very similar to VB.NET.

If you're on OS X Swift is good, though I would rate .NET or Xojo as being a little better for a true beginner.

JavaScript is really easy to start playing with, but IMHO teaches bad habits out of the gate. Come at JavaScript after time on something else.

Once you've got some time in another language, THEN I recommend C/C++. Both for what they teach and because they are incredibly valuable for certain tasks.

As for OP's pic: I want to punch both of them.
>>
>>53491465
In the words of the late Christopher Hitchens:
>babble... more babble
>>
>>53489584
This is the only correct answer.

I learned Java first, and after I learned C, went back to Java and realized that I was doing it all wrong.
>>
PILOT
>>
>>53489499
haskell
>>
>>53489921
/g/'s gonna hate my suggestion, but start with HTML + CSS.

It's piss easy and gets right to the core of programming: getting an idea on paper, but in source code. you'll see some results in no time and have a little bit of an edge over those who've never touched HTML if you decide its not your thing.
>>
>>53492247
Bro, that's not even programming.
>>
>>53492292
Did you know that SQL is turing complete? Would you say it's "not even programming?"

HTML + CSS is a good beginner language because its dead simple. It may technically not be "programming", but it works almost exactly like one and the skills are transferable.
>>
>>53492344
just stop posting
>>
>>53492398
you wouldn't tell a beginner to learn SQL would you? it fits your simple syntax, easy to remember core functions, almost sounds like spoken english! And, above all, it's turing complete!! (its `programming')

Maybe you aren't thinking very hard about what would be good for a beginner.
>>
>>53489499
StackExchange
>>
>>53492463
stop
>>
>>53492509
u dont know nothin kid
>>
>>53492344
HTML + CSS is "Turing complete" as well, but a programming language should make it simple for a beginner to understand and experiment with data types, control flow, data structures, and algorithms. None of which are easy in a markup language like HTML.
>>
>>53492527
pls stop
>>
>>53492628
programming is about expressing ideas in code. if you think programming is about syntax (which you appear to think) then you probably aren't a good programmer and your opinion on this topic should be avoided.
>>
Learn C
Read sicp daily.
>>
HTML.
>>
>>53492676
Programming is about problem solving as well, and anyone is going to have a hard time implementing their algorithm they wrote in pseudocode to HTML + CSS.
>>
please sage your pointless arguing thanks.
>>
>>53492751
>implementing
meant translating
>>
>>53492676
He was talking about programming, not 'programming'.
>>
>>53492751
you're right that the number of problems in HTML + CSS is limited, but they aren't 0 by any means.

it won't take long to master it and by that time it should be obvious if you like doing this kinda thing

>>53492782
lamumu
>>
Fortran
>>
>>53489499
Python imo
>>
>>53491465
>C is one of the worst to start with.

Sure if you're just a script kiddie who's all grown up and looking to be the adult version of a skiddie, which is to say a coder. If you actually want to be a programmer, and understand how shit works, then start with the goddamn foundation of modern programming, and build from there.

No one's resume has ever been tossed in the trash because they knew C. Can that be said of Python? Java? Haskell? C++ is really the only other language I can think of that's given such high regard, unless you are applying for some niche position where shit like COBOL or Fortran are still in high demand--I don't recommend starting with C++, COBOL, or Fortran however.
>>
File: legitcode.png (15 KB, 276x205) Image search: [Google]
legitcode.png
15 KB, 276x205
>>53492676
Check out this idea I expressed in code.
>>
>>53492344
I get you rationale, but it's just wrong. HTML and CSS are merely ways of displaying plain text. You walk away understanding how to make plain text look nice, but not how to actually create it.
>>
>>53493284
you come away with the ability to make basic websites at worst.

at best you move on to a real language because you've outgrown the toddler stage.

seems win-win to me
>>
>>53493310
That's fine to do. I started with HTML actually, but at the time I didn't even know I'd ever want or need to actually program anything. I just wanted to make a stupid 90s era homepage, and that was it.

Just keep it in your head that programming is a different world completely. Javascript (and DHTML) were also all the rage at the time. That was my next step. Adding some nifty scripts to make the eye-sore worse. It was also my first set-back. I went in expecting it to be essentially advanced HTML, and I found that it was actually something quite different. HTML is more artistic, than technical. Javascript or even asm, well, there's an art to them too, but there's much more than artistic expression to them. You need a different mindset to grasp and do Javascript well, and you need an even different mindset to grasp asm at all.

I learned basic HTML in like an hour or so--not saying that I mastered it, because I didn't. Still after an hour I could create a very basic, but functional web page, with a cool lava background, blinding blood red text, dozens of instances of that spinning flaming skull gif that I swiped (lol no right click my ass!) from that Marilyn Manson fanpage, that I planned to basically copy (and improve upon by making it about how much Manson and his fans suck and x-band is so much better), and of course links to other shitty fanpages--I do kind of miss webrings though.

I'm still learning to program, and will continue to for as long as I program. Just the basics though will take a lot longer than an hour. An hour might get you a hello world, and how to alter the message based on simple user input. Nothing very useful.
>>
File: 1453542938321.png (378 KB, 1450x1080) Image search: [Google]
1453542938321.png
378 KB, 1450x1080
>>53489499
C is best to start with because it's low level and brings you closer to the heart of the machine. After learning how to implement basic algorithms and data structures in C, you'll find higher level languages are easy as 3.14! Pick a few challenges from pic related and get to work.
>>
scheme???
`()
>>
>>53490093
The CS50 lectures are so goddamn comfy.

C will be useful for electronics in some way, and you can always move onto C++
>>
I hear Python is good for beginner types.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.