[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WhatsApp vs telegram vs signal Which is king?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: baked-pie-300x225.jpg (44 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
baked-pie-300x225.jpg
44 KB, 300x225
WhatsApp vs telegram vs signal

Which is king?
>>
Signal
>>
Threema
>>
Signal > WhatsApp > Telegram

Signal is the only one that is FOSS and doesn't use shit crypto. WhatsApp is closed source but the crypto is the same as Signal's (assuming you trust that the binaries aren't doing anything shady). Telegram was made by people who are fully divorced from reality and sell snake oil.
>>
>>53486490
whatever people around me use, unless any of them offer cross application chat
>>
european govts cant crack the crypto in telegram that the paris attackers used
>>
>>53486490
Wire for encryption. Whatsapp for not having to force everyone on your friends list to download something else.
>>
>>53487251
Except that's bullshit. Telegram stores all messages in plaintext on their servers by default.
>>
None of the above.
irc+otr lads
>>
>>53487318
>by default.
>>
WhatsApp is mostly populated by Latino women one their 40s sending pictures of Jesus
>>
File: isis.jpg (48 KB, 570x626) Image search: [Google]
isis.jpg
48 KB, 570x626
>>53487353
Yes, as in the thing that the overwhelming majority of users will use. ISIS's group chats are all plaintext, for example. Pic related.
>>
>>53487121
I like threema because you can run it without having to use your phone number. Still closed source though. Oh and it doesn't rely on Google apps which is great IMO. I use the gappless branch for signal but the reasons why the developer doesn't want to implement a gappless version for fdroid is a bit stupid.
>>
>>53487510
The gappless and fdroid issues are separate. They don't want to remove gapp requirements because their target userbase has gapps anyway, and implementing their own version of push notifications is extra dev overhead they can't afford. They also make the point that you *don't* need gapps, you can use a FOSS alternative to the gapps API if you want and it works just fine.

The fdroid issue has to do with Moxie not trusting their distribution security. For example, the fact that builds aren't signed by an airgapped machine, and that it requires enabling unsigned apps, which means the device as a whole is less secure. I disagree with him on this point, but I wouldn't call it "stupid" so much as a different (and IMO wrong) threat model.
>>
File: 1457938737679.jpg (98 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
1457938737679.jpg
98 KB, 500x400
>mfw someone tried shilling me telegram by saying it was an open source and encrypted whatsapp
>>
>>53487596
You got a point there. I was referring to their argument that they won't be able to track errors if they implement an gappless version. And that they won't be able to pish the messages to the device. Which sucks, but that's something someone expects when there are no play services on the phone.
I agree with what you said though.
>>
>>53487423
lmfao
>>
>>53486490
>install signal
>"cannot function without google play services derp"

that defeats the purpose doesn't it
>>
>>53486490
telegram is an insecure piece of shit.
>>
File: 1445753595955.png (558 KB, 850x1269) Image search: [Google]
1445753595955.png
558 KB, 850x1269
>>53487596
>>53488148
Can someone school a guy who's completely tech retarded; How is Telegram able to push their notifications without any GAPPS at all?
Also, how does LibreSignal (the F-Droid fork)
>https://fdroid.eutopia.cz/
work without GAPPS? Or does it also still need google to work?

I just want a messenger that respects my freedom and just works. Why is being free so restricting?!
>>
>>53488991
try
>>53489188
https://fdroid.eutopia.cz/
>>
>>53489188
The gappless Version uses websockets. Its in the experimental part of the repo. I use it with no issues whatsoever.
I do not know how telegram pushes their messages to the device. Are you sure that you don't mistake it for polling ?
>>
>>53489450
>Are you sure that you don't mistake it for polling ?
see
>a guy who's completely tech retarded
I suppose so, I'm not sure. I do know that I get notifications from several other server dependent apps besides Telegram as well; K9, smssecure (I'm guessing sms/mms is handled by the provider?), calendar, etc., all with google services disabled. I think I need lurk moaring.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.