[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How the fuck are you meant to make money, or even a profit, or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (104 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
104 KB, 1920x1080
How the fuck are you meant to make money, or even a profit, or even a living, from developing and distributing free software?

>in4 donations
>inb4 ads
>>
donations and ads
>>
paid support
>>
You realize you can sell free software on GPL, right?
>>
>>53483383
You can add your own code to it and sell that
you can profit from your own work but not from others
>>
>>53483419
You realize no one is going to buy it, right?
>>
>he thinks non-propriety = making shit for free and giving it away
>>
>>53483383
I guess the only way would be creating free software "backed up" by a big org that's paying you to write that code and release it open source (cause they might use it internally)
>>
>>53483443
proprietary*
Ahh fuck i messed up my good comeback

But either way anon, think of all the proprietary shit you have for free

The two aren't mutually exclusive
>>
You sell a service like ongoing support or pre-compiled binaries. Donations also work well for some projects.

In Stallman's ideal Free Software world you wont need to at all because we will have achieved post-scarcity.
>>
>>53483383
get a real fucking job and develop as a hobby
>>
File: jlm-stars-hollywood-sign[1].jpg (276 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
jlm-stars-hollywood-sign[1].jpg
276 KB, 1024x768
>How the fuck are you meant to make money, or even a profit, or even a living, from produving and releasing free movies/songs?

>inb4 donations
>inb4 ads
Thing is you don't, and you aren't meant to. Most sane people know that, and would buy for services they need, but there are always going to be that group of fat lazy cheap fucks that invent some dream of watching movies for free, listening songs for free, using applications for free. You can't help it, they are going to always be there, but enough people pay for things, that the companies still make fuckload of profit from all the shit they make, despite pirating
>>
>he doesn't understand free software

Literally just read a few articles on the FSF website.

That is, if you have the reading comprehension of a middle schooler at least
>>
>>53483383
>doesn't know about red hat
>>
>>53483383
Just vote for Bernie
>>
>>53483383
Not all software is made to be sold. Sometimes it's made to be used.
The price of using gpl code in your project is your contribution.
>>
>>53483437
ardour
>>
>from developing
Charge for developing it. If you don't get paid, don't do it.
>and distributing
Any literal monkey can right click a file, left click "copy," right click in the folder, left click "paste." Why would someone pay you for that?
>>
The same way how adobe, SAP, Microsoft and oracle makes most of their money: support
Unless you are some HN tier San francisco startup who begs people to buy their shitty program/game so they can make their months end, you will have to find an alternative buissness plan.
For most big companies this plan is to sell the software to a company for a really small price of just give it for free and then charge them for the support annualy. Thats why Adobe sells their corporate subscriptions for tens of thousands of dollars, the actual software itself costs about 9$ a month. And before you go apeshit thinking that why someone would need support for these kinds of software, i would advise you to use any software from SAP, then you will understand.
>>
>>53483383
ads
>>
>>53483383
Windows 10 can show you the ways of data mining. Ideally not, though.
>>
>>53483437
He asked for a solution, never specified a realistic one.
>>
>>53483987
>implying the election isn't a sham and isn't rigged from the start
lol
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.