[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>be 1999 >be 8 years old >le millennium bug meme on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
>be 1999
>be 8 years old
>le millennium bug meme on every tv
>"computers will think it's 1900 and will stop working because they didn't exist back then"
>a lot of people actually thought that was going to happen

I was 8 years old and knew nothing about computers, but instinctively understood that was such utter bullshit. Why did people fall for it? Is the world retarded?
>>
>>53475780
>Is the world retarded?

yes
>>
Did he really organise the bargain bin >for free
>>
I'd go knock his stacks over
>>
>>53475800
didn't programmers buy into it too? Was it because they are aware that not considering some variable can fuck up a program and got overly paranoid?
>>
and now when 2038 is a real thing people do not care because wolf wolf

all the embedded shit underground

space probes?
>>
>>53475849
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem
there is another kind of bug like this supposed to happen
>>
>>53475876
Except that one has some truth to it......
But everything will be patched up and ready except for grandma's old (by then) desktop, which won't matter.
>>
I mean it was a legitimate oversight in some software and databases. Creating a fallout shelter over the issue was excessive but disregarding it completely was ignorant as well.
>>
>>53475780

Companies spent billions updating their old code long before 12/31/99. It was not an accident that nothing really bad happened, you smarmy little cunt.
>>
You know the whole "setting your iPhone date to 1970 bricks the phone?"

It's actually the same principle on a larger scale
>>
>>53475780
Y2KY Jelly: So you can fit four digits where you used to only be able to fit two.
>>
>>53475801
Welcome to autism 101
>>
>>53475801
I pictured it as him messing up the entire bin because he couldn't find what the fuck he wanted.
>>
>>53477284
no. not even close
>>
>>53475801
Joke's on you; right is before, left is after
>>
>>53475876
It's already fixed in OpenBSD.
>>
>>53477551
No, I've seen plenty of bins like that at Walmart. They're always like on the left.
>>
>>53475780
It was actually a real problem that a lot of software had. Yeah, it was blown out of proportion by a lot of media companies, and the premise that tech would "stop working because it didn't exist back then" is crazy, but many old systems would have failed.
>>
>>53475780
If I worked at that wal-mart I would mess up that stack, just to see if he would organize them again.
>>
>>53480330
If you worked at Walmart, that bin would be worth more than you.
>>
>>53480330
I'm such a weeb I thought the guy in the pic messed them up.
>>
>>53475780
There's always the year ten thousand op!
Gonna cause some serious shit. Maybe by 100k they will finally store it as floating point.
>>
>be
>le

Fuck off
>>
Shit did go wrong tough, various ATM's stopped working and some sites think it's the year 19115.
that's about it.
>>
>>53480365
AT A BUCK EACH, AROUND 8 BY 8 AND 12 HIGH

THAT BINS WORTH LESS THAN A GRAND
>>
File: 1448273647181.gif (3 MB, 257x212) Image search: [Google]
1448273647181.gif
3 MB, 257x212
>>53475876
Fucking 32 bit shit always ruining my fun
>mfw timing forward to get free shit in games and finally hit 2038
>>
>>53475864
>space probes?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Impact_%28spacecraft%29#Contact_lost_and_end_of_mission
>>
>>53481321
I'd say no more than 300, would be surprised if it was 350+
>>
>>53475780
>Work at store
>New kid
>He does exactly this
>Have to slap him because it is supposed to look like pic 1
>Since it looks more that way
>>
>>53475780
>knew nothing about computers, but instinctively understood that was such utter bullshit
>Is the world retarded?

No, you are. See >>53477219
>>
It would've happened with a lot of programs that stored the year as two digits
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.