[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MovieSwap Aims to Be a Huge Crowd-Powered Streaming Service
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
>“What if you had an unlimited access to the LARGEST ONLINE MOVIE LIBRARY EVER? A library where you could swap films with contributors all over the world and discover an infinite number of stories. This is the revolutionary idea behind MovieSwap,” the Kickstarter begins.

>MovieSwap, should it get off the ground, will be a subscription service, presumably a little like Netflix. However, instead of teaming up with studios and distributors to offer content, MovieSwap intends to take the idea of swapping a physical DVD with friends to its logical, Internet-powered conclusion.

>“Because people already PAID for them, we invented a fair way to give [DVDs] a brilliant second life,” the promo material reads. But how? Well, this is where it gets interesting.

>MovieSwap says it will collect millions of genuine DVDs from all over the world and register them with the service on behalf of their owners. The team claims to already have 200,000 in its warehouse.

>Once in their possession, MovieSwap will digitize/rip the DVDs and place them in the cloud for members to play on any device, anywhere. But that’s not all.

>“Then, just like you can legally lend, swap, or offer a DVD to a friend, MovieSwap works in the same way, but on a much larger scale thanks to its remote playback technology,” the team says.

>“Additionally, users can get the full DVD experience including bonuses, deleted scenes, director’s commentaries, and other unique features not available when streaming videos online.”

>According to the MovieSwap team, the service will be available on PC, Mac, Android tablets and even on a Firestick-style HDMI Android dongle. Interestingly the PC version will utilize VLC Media Player to read DVDs “over the Internet”, with VLC’s president Jean-Baptiste Kempf already on record as financially backing the project.

https://torrentfreak.com/movieswap-aims-to-be-a-huge-crowd-powered-streaming-service-160311/

Will you use this, /g/?
>>
>MovieSwap will digitize/rip the DVDs and place them in the cloud for members to play on any device
>replace "cloud" with "internet"
dead weight, scene people already do this
>>
>>53442309
Not exactly the same thing.
>>
Shut. It. Down.
>>
>>53442319
>MovieSwap will digitize/rip the DVDs and place them in the cloud for members to play on any device
>scene people will digitize/rip the DVDs and place them in the internet for members to torrent or download (lel download) to play on any device
you're a special kind of stupid, aren't you
>>
>>53441898
>“What if you had an unlimited access to the LARGEST ONLINE MOVIE LIBRARY EVER?
But I do, TPB.
>>
>ITS THE [CURRENT YEAR]
Consider suicide.
>>
>>53442358
TPB ain't legal. This claims to use a loophole.
>>
>>53442355
It's not the same thing. Did you even read how it works. retard?
>>
>gayer napster
no thanks, I'm not going to pussy around to watch movies for free
>>
You're not allowed to publicly exhibit the DVDs you own. That's the FBI warning at the start of every DVD, and it's the reason why Blockbuster would say you owe something ridiculous like $100 if you lost a copy of one of their movies. Because they paid extra to be able to rent the movie out.
>>
>>53442375
Loopholes are only good as long as they don't get patched. I'm sure companies with lawyers will make sure of that.
>>
>>53442379
Worse? Some proprietary or encrypted format to prevent people from copying it or from playing it in their favorite player (kek VLC, are they even trying?). And will probably cost money + bandwidth while torrents just cost bandwidth.
>>
>T-this one is legal guys, trust me
Nobody fucking cares, people have been torrenting shit for years and will continue doing so.
>>
>>53441898
I put $5 in so I can try out the beta in august. I don't expect much since I torrent on a regular basis.
>>
>>53441898
We already are sharing movies with torrents.
Nobody gives a shit
>>
>>53442681
This is good for keeping the attention off torrents.
>>
File: 1457764777974s.jpg (2 KB, 125x70) Image search: [Google]
1457764777974s.jpg
2 KB, 125x70
>DVD
>>
>>53442922
>autism
>>
>>53442562
ok
>>
>>53441898
>Interestingly the PC version will utilize VLC Media Player to read DVDs “over the Internet”
D R O P P E D
R
O
P
P
E
D
>>
>>53441898
>DVD (read: movie) streaming
>2016
>inb4 MPAA
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.