[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
c++ or java? which should i learn as my third language
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6
File: 94_120815160636_1.jpg (23 KB, 420x317) Image search: [Google]
94_120815160636_1.jpg
23 KB, 420x317
c++ or java? which should i learn as my third language
>>
>>53439341
what are the other two?
>>
The job markets is kinder to java programmers because there are far more programmers with years of C++ experience than java.
>>
>>53439651
There are more java jobs too because android
>>
>>53439341
html/css and being able to convert decimal to binary doesn't really count.
>>
Haskell

main = putStrLn "Hello, world!"
>>
C#
>>
File: program.png (1010 KB, 2000x2210) Image search: [Google]
program.png
1010 KB, 2000x2210
>>53439341
being a smart-ass aside, this should help you.
pic related.
>>
>>53439967
like why though
>>
>>53440026
___  ___                      _  ______     _     _      
| \/ | | | | ___ \ (_) | |
| . . | ___ _ __ __ _ __| | | |_/ / __ _ __| | ___
| |\/| |/ _ \| '_ \ / _` |/ _` | | __/ '__| |/ _` |/ _ \
| | | | (_) | | | | (_| | (_| | | | | | | | (_| | __/
\_| |_/\___/|_| |_|\__,_|\__,_| \_| |_| |_|\__,_|\___|
_____ ______
\ \\ \
\ \\ \
\ \\ \ _____________
\ \\ \\ \
\ \\ \\____________\
\ \\ \ _____________
/ // \\ \
/ // \\____________\
/ // /\ \
/ // / \ \
/ // / \ \
/____//____/ \____\
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
| | | | | | | | | | | (_) | |
| | | | ___ _ __| | __| | | | | |_ __| | ___
| |/\| |/ _ \| '__| |/ _` | | |/\| | |/ _` |/ _ \
\ /\ / (_) | | | | (_| | \ /\ / | (_| | __/
\/ \/ \___/|_| |_|\__,_| \/ \/|_|\__,_|\___|
>>
>>53440025
That image gave me cancer.
>>
File: 1374574508775.jpg (29 KB, 499x500) Image search: [Google]
1374574508775.jpg
29 KB, 499x500
>>53440025
>>
>>53440025
where is lua?
>>
File: cool cat.jpg (25 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
cool cat.jpg
25 KB, 400x400
>>53440160
>>53440105
>>53440078
Because OP is really having to choose a 3rd language.
I did the humane thing and gave him reasonable choices for a first language, and in a easy to follow referencing flow chart to boot.
>>
gcc -Os -nostdlib
>>
>>53440265
>reasonable choices
Yeah, no.
>>
Java because of jobs. C++ because of more self-respect.
>>
Python

Print("hello")
>>
>>53440310
Continue?
>>
>>53440338
Also if you go with Java (it's not that bad I was mostly joking) Intellij is a good IDE.
>>
>int main()
Why no return int?
>>
>>53440059
I didnt know they added the H to LGBT(H)
>>
>>53439341
cobol
>>
>>53440369
>Why no return int?
Why don't you stop talking like a fucking retard?
C99 and C++ have an implicit "return 0;" at the end of main.
>>
>>53440025
>PHP easier than C# and Java
WHAT
>>
>>53440364
Half the recommendations are Python, which is a terrible language for beginners due to not having a proper type system.

>>53440369
It returns 0 implicitly.
>>
>>53440399
Wait I was thinking of Perl for some reason. Be nice to me.
>>
File: checked.jpg (240 KB, 1100x1380) Image search: [Google]
checked.jpg
240 KB, 1100x1380
>>53440399
>>53440433
Dub dubs.
Forgiven.
>>
>>53439341

Between Java and C++, I'd pick Java any day of the week.

Not because it's a particularly great language, but because C++ is literally fucking satan incarnate.

If I had to pick a single thing out about C++ that was the absolute worst thing, it's that you can't trust the program to actually die if it encounters a problem. Sometimes it will simply silently corrupt itself or continue executing off a cliff, and when you finally do crash your stack traces either make no sense or are incomprehensible garbage. And that's assuming you have access to the dump or happen to be running the program in gdb - if your end users have problems with a production build, you're even more screwed.
>>
>>53440546
I heard from a close friend of a friend that "new" C++ is miles ahead of and extremely different from "old fucking satan incarnate" C++. Is this true?
>>
>>53440399
It is though, C# has ton of depth in it.
>>
>>53440579
>headers are still there
>modules aren't
>STL is still retarded
Nah, it's still your ol' sepples, just with more sprinkles. I admit, the sprinkles are breddy good.
>>
>>53440546
Learn rust
>>
>>53440655
I goofed my post up. I agree with you and mostly meant to comment on how fucking attrocious Perl is but then I read it again and saw that they were talking about PHP.
>>
>>53439341
JavaScript

Perfect blend of functional and imperative.
Unique prototypical OOP is fun and useful.
No memory concerns that you have to worry about.
Tons of language features, and it constantly grows.
Tons of libraries, and it constantly grows.
Tons of job opportunities, and it constantly grows.
>>
>>53440727
what's wrong with perl?
>>
>>53440754
BAAAAAAAAAHAHAHA
>>
>>53440579

Marginally. There are a lot of neat new features in C++11, things like smart pointers are fantastic. And writing your code in a modern, RAII, exception-safe style takes away some of the foot-guns.

But none of the big bugbears have really gone away. Your programs can and will continue to self-destruct incomprehensibly because no matter how careful you are, you will still manage to misuse various C++ features or the STL dangerously. The C++ standard library still has many dark corners of it - full of poorly thought out abominations like streams and relics from C with no modern safe equivalents. Trying to build C++ is still a gigantic headache when you factor in libraries and differences between platforms, forcing you to chose the least bad of a bunch of godawful options (protip: the answer is always CMake).

But the other big thing is this - C++ has been around for a very long time. Unless the only C++ you ever work on is green-field projects of your own creation, you will have to deal with old-style C++. Maybe it's because the codebase dates back from before C++11 and it hasn't been converted yet. Maybe it's because the other developers are retarded and still code like it's C with classes. Or maybe it's a library you have to interface with that has to continue to support C++98. Or maybe you're interfacing with a C library because there's no C++ library to do what you need. If you commit to C++, it's almost impossible to avoid the bad parts of it.
>>
>>53440579

This is >>53440999 with one more thought.

There's one more lingering problem with C++. If you decide to take years to scale that mountain and reach its peak, a fate worse than death awaits you. You will become...a C++ programmer.

Suddenly, C++ will look like a great language. The warts are merely arcana that any "good" programmer must learn. Far more convenient and productive languages become mere toys for lack of features or speed. And everywhere you look, you will start to see nails for your C++ hammer.

You will have been lost to sanity forever, stuck in an internally consistent but absolutely fucking crazy way of thinking.
>>
Cplusplusisforchumps
>>
>>53440987
literally nothing wrong with js.
>>
>>53440786
average age of chin poster precludes knowledge of perl
>>
>>53439341
c+=
>>
>>53440999
You're not entirely wrong, but just to play devil's advocate here for a moment:

> Your programs can and will continue to self-destruct incomprehensibly because no matter how careful you are, you will still manage to misuse various C++ features or the STL dangerously
It you are bad and/or new to C++, code in an unsafe manner, and don't yet know its idiosyncrasies, sure.

> The C++ standard library still has many dark corners of it - full of poorly thought out abominations like streams and relics.
Which are avoidable. Nobody is forcing you to use them. Of course knowing what to avoid and why (usually due to performance or project maintenance considerations) isn't something the newbie would be expected to know.

> Trying to build C++ is still a gigantic headache when you factor in libraries and differences between platforms, forcing you to chose the least bad of a bunch of godawful options (protip: the answer is always CMake).
CMake is bearable, and certainly the most well supported. Boost.Build (doesn't require you to use boost libraries) is less well known but can handle large projects and dependencies quite well in my experience. It's both easy to extend as well as write their (quite simple in comparison) equivalent of makefiles.

>>53441187
> And everywhere you look, you will start to see nails for your C++ hammer.
And every time you look at another language, you will lament over its lack of powerful template meta-programming and performance related features. :^)
>>
Visual Basic
>>
>>53440025
>c++ listed as the most difficult
Is this satire? Where does this c++ is hard meme come from? I might be bias as it was my first language but I am curious why people think this.
>>
>>53444493
Bad programmers
>>
>>53444493
not "hard" hard, just harder than the others. you'll notice it didn't get a 5. guess that would be... assembly?
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.