[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Android handheld consoles?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
File: gpd-xd-front-side.jpg (143 KB, 800x551) Image search: [Google]
gpd-xd-front-side.jpg
143 KB, 800x551
Hey /g/.

I've decided to buy a device that will help me comfortably play older handheld console games without taking like three consoles with me. I have an android tablet that performs nice, but I need physical buttons. I thought about Pandora, but it's way too expensive compared to android devices. So, anyone have any experience with GPD XD (pic related), GPD Q9, JXD s7800b etc?
>>
Why not just get a 3ds and hack it?
>>
>>53435566
Start a kickstarter
>>
>>53435594
Moonlight streaming, if his network is decent. The 3ds can emulate stuff up to about GBA, at least on a fluid playable level.
>>
Hacked New 3DS XL is best
>>
GPD just announced the GPD XD2, check that out and maybe wait for that. The GPD XD has no real problems to speak of, as far as I know.

GPD has been doing really good lately, JXD and Yinlips and others kinda fell off the market because they're not great quality.

You can also buy a used Android phone like an LG G2 or something and use a Bluetooth/usb controller.
>>
>>53435702
On what fucking metric? For emulation?
>>
>>53435712
>The original GPD XD game console features a 5 inch, 1280 x 720 pixel display, a Rockchip RK3288 processor with ARM Mali-T764 graphics, 2GB of RAM, 802.11ac WiFi, and up to 32GB of storage (plus a microSD card slot.

>GPD’supcoming Windevice features a 5.5 inch, 720p display, an Intel Atom x5-Z8500 Cherry Trail processor, 4GB of RAM, and 64GB of storage.

Holy balls, with the keyboard add-on this thing's literally a UMPC
>>
>>53435712

The point is, I don't need amazing performance, I need simple emulation without problems. My SGS4 and not-so-new tablet both work great but I just need physical buttons and I need to browse web, make payments with it so PS Vita and 3DS, 3DS XL are not an option. Also, I travel on my bicycle a lot so the less I carry the better. That's why I don't want a controller for my phone/tablet.

So, do You think buying GPD XD on Aliexpress would be a good idea? It's about 140$ with free shipping there.
>>
File: p1020131.jpg (2 MB, 2609x2438) Image search: [Google]
p1020131.jpg
2 MB, 2609x2438
>>53435566
Are you stupid? Get DragonBox PYRA with DEBIAN and full size USB ports.
>>
>>53435566
get a bluetooth controller for your phone. I'm assuming you have an android device.

If you have an iPhone controllers should work too, and they're LGBT friendly to fit your needs
>>
>>53435834
As long as it's a good seller and you're okay with how slow Ali is, sure. It's a decent little emulation machine.

Everything up to and including n64, PSP, and PS1. N64 and PSP can be hit or miss, though.
>>
>>53435893

PYRA is way more than I need, and I don't want to pay that much for something I already own (I have GBC, GBA, NES, SNES, PSP, PS1 and some more), I just want to play emulated games comfortably. Also, it's not out yet.

>>53435941

Yeah, I thought so about N64 and PSP 'cause I've tried emulating it on my tablet, it sucked and I couldn't make Blast Corps work.

If only I could find a controller case for Iphone 4s or my SGS I'd be more than happy, but separate controller is too much. Also, these controller cases were crazy expensive, one of them was like 90 bucks, I could buy a console for that.
>>
>>53435566
>gaming
Fuck off >>>/v/
>>
>>53437033

I thought /v/ was for video games, not hardware, you fucking faggot
>>
>>53437217
oh touched a nerve there?
>>
>>53437374

>lol I trol u u must be so mad
>>
>>53437483
different fag.

Still think you should fuck off back to /v/ tho
>>
>>53437540

So, if I want to buy a device, I need to ask /g/, but if I want to buy a device AND i want to use it for gaming, i need to ask /v/? I don't give a fuck about gaming aspect of this particular device, others do. I just want to know if there's anyone who experienced any problems with it.
>>
>>53435834

If you carry your phone with you anyway, just get a PSP 100x or 200x model, flash cfw and load emulators and roms. If you are too paranoid about paying bills on your phone, take part of a day and pay bills in person if you can, or mail a payment
>>
File: ynokeys.png (112 KB, 267x220) Image search: [Google]
ynokeys.png
112 KB, 267x220
>>53435566
If there was a physical keyboard on that area this would be the ultimate portable shitposting machine
>>
>>53435737
games
the entire 3ds/ds library along with emulation up to the 4th gen
>>
Does it have to be android? A psp can be had for very cheap and can run most emulators. You could also buy a controller for you phone, but that might make you look like a tool.
>>
>>53435566
psp
>>
>>53438761
>buy psp
>get laughed at by consumerists
>>
My friend had one that died. Hasn't been able to RMA it. I was cool while it lasted
>>
>>53437033
nigga half the threads on /g/ are muh drivers, no games linux, help me build a gaymen pc. Game hardware is /g/
>>
>>53438692
>>53438761
There are SNES games that the PSP can't handle. Its good for PS1, some SNES and earlier but its pointless when you could get something better for the same price.
>>
>>53437597

You don't ask /g/ if you want to buy a device. Go ask /wsr/.
>>
>>53439089
Yeah psp is pretty terrible for emulation. It doesn't even have enough buttons to do psx properly. It being able to do SNES is a meme with most of the good games not running close to 60FPS with the sound on. Most android devices can do PSX upres'd not to mention better scaling for gba games. You also get DS game support. It's really nice being able to watch youtube videos while playing gba games on my note 2.
>>
>>53435665
>GBA

that's dogshit. The DS could play DS roms, why can't the 3DS do DS?
>>
File: gametel_003.jpg (53 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
gametel_003.jpg
53 KB, 600x400
I like the gametel. Moga and ipega also. If it has to be one unit, check out the Caanoo
>>
>>53439616
it runs ds carts and some ds flashcarts. But the main issue with the 3DS is it's shitty screen, not worth running many emulators on that thing.
>>
>>53439616
It can do ds just they haven't figured out how to load from the SD while in TWL_FIRM yet. The 3DS can do perfect gba as well via AGB_FIRM. They've already patched out some stuff in TWL_FIRM someone just needs to shim in some extra routines (won't be long now that armlh exists as a safety net).
>>
>>53435594
This.

No reason to not buy a 3DS for your purpose.
>>
>>53439616
That's emulating. A flashcart uses the original hardware and is only basically a rom holder. GBA emulation is doable on the ds flashcarts if you carry several versions of the gba emulators, some of them work for for some games and some don't. The other problem with the 3DS is they keep updating it to patch out all the DS flashcarts. But if you were only in it for emulation and don't care about DS games of any kind, get an android and a gamepad. Powerful CPUs can do all the PSX and N64 games too.
>>
>>53435594
gpd xd: 2gb ram, quad core cpu, 1280x768 screen
3ds: 128mb ram, ancient arm dual core cpu, 800x240 top screen

seriously man. I own a 3DS but it's shit hardware, it can barely handle it's own games.
>>
Yeah the GDP windows model seems pretty much exactly what I have been wanting most my life.

Now I got a kid on my way credit card debt and all the VR stuff that will be coming out so I doubt I'll get it until I can say it is for the kid
>>
>>53435566
I just use a DS3, a little stand for the phone, and a short USB cable and I'm good to go.
>>
>>53435566
Get a Lenovo Pocket Yoga

[spoiler that does not work]
:^)
[/spoiler]
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.