[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Well /gentooman, now it's the time. I have to do this step.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: linux-logo-600x300 (1).png (41 KB, 505x250) Image search: [Google]
linux-logo-600x300 (1).png
41 KB, 505x250
Well /gentooman, now it's the time. I have to do this step. i've have always told everyone to use linux and why they should have done this, but in two days i discovered i was completely wong.
I have always used fedora, but as soon as new laptop arrived i said "let's do some distro testing, why not?"

1) Lubuntu: No wifi, i load them into the kernel, works fine, turn it on and off a couple of time during the day, when i turn it on again -> the distro broke, it broke by itself. well, let's try some other shit

2) Kubuntu, because i have always loved KDE as DE. install it, it's fucking broken and no audio. spend some time to fix it, but still no audio. no solutions.

3) Arch: install it, fix it, start to rice it, i finish, i start doing my work, crash -> systemd broke my distro. well... cool.

4) a fork of mandriva (can't remember the name, i think it's #7 on distrowatch), won't boot properly

5) linux (le hacker meme) mint: no wifi. i had to build the modules and load them into the kernel, then drivers and shit and only then i was able to browse dankememe.

this operating system it's a fucking mess. i could not notice it because i was stuck with my distro on the same computer, for doing the same stuff, but sometimes it's just frustrating,
This sistem is the opposite of the user friendly, and it won't gain over windows, no fucking way.
Why this /g? It makes no sense, if you want to spread an OS you should make it "justwerk.iso" not "unfuckme.iso"
>>
File: 1450847137968.jpg (56 KB, 432x323) Image search: [Google]
1450847137968.jpg
56 KB, 432x323
>>53430700
install gentoo
>>
>>53430700

It's rock solid on headless servers. Linux is not a desktop OS no matter how much basement dwelling neckbeards want it to be.
>>
Sounds like the common factor was the new laptop.
>>
>>53430737
OP here, i think this is the only truth. it's fucking shit when it comes to everyday usability
>>
>>53430759
yep, that's true. it has some shitty wifi card (rtl8723be) but shit, those problems requires literally nothing to be fixed. why they don't do this?
>>
>>53430822
https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new
>>
>he thinks Linux is an operating system unto itself without the key GNU coreutils
wew lad
>>
So you are telling me you tried 5 times to install an OS but you failed every time. Sounds like you are a shitter
>>
>>53430700
I can relate

That's why I continue to suck up my pride and use Windows

If love to use a rides Arch but I don't have time to fix any errors along the way.

Tried to get friends on Linux too but they're too retarded. Some of them can't install a graphics driver without help.

Oh well.
>>
I bought a new M2 PCIE SSD and Windows didn't recognize it. I tried to get online to download drivers, but it didn't recognize my NIC either. It's a fucking mess because I didn't spend 2 seconds to check to see if my hardware was supported.
>>
>>53431609
>check to see if my hardware was supported
anon I don't think any company would make an SSD that doesn't support Windows
The problem is obviously something else
>>
Reminder that all of those distributions of "Linux" you are using are all distributions of GNU/Linux, or rather simply GNU.
>>
File: sell me.png (28 KB, 780x679) Image search: [Google]
sell me.png
28 KB, 780x679
>>53430700
Works on my machine

Only thing was having to change a line in a cfg file because otherwise my wifi wouldn't work, but I'm not a scrub so it was easy.

I couldn't really give a fuck if normies can't install ubuntu. Am I the only one?
>>
>>53431627
The problem is that the drivers weren't on the Windows install media. Kinda like the drivers for OP's wifi weren't on the Linux distros he downloaded.
>>
>>53431700
No, it's not the same at all
unless the SSD worked perfectly on linux without any messing it's not the same thing at all
why would a fucking storage device need drivers anyway?
what if you want to install your OS on it?
>>
>>53430700
>lxde
>kde
>linux mint
everything screams winbabby duck syndrome
>>>/v/
>>
>>53430700
Works for me.

Been using it for about a year now, fully converted after a month. I have a dual boot available, but I only used it to play Fallout 4 for about 12 hours in total.

My games work, I don't do my job at home so I don't have use for any productivity, and every day computing works better for me than Windows does.

I also haven't really had to fix anything unless I broke it myself. Shit just werks.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.