[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best way to store a huge music library? External
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: 1456355774974.jpg (88 KB, 500x632) Image search: [Google]
1456355774974.jpg
88 KB, 500x632
What's the best way to store a huge music library?

External HD?
Server?
>>
>>>/g/sqt
>>>/wsr/
>>
i have that bed frame
>>
>>53423178
MS OneDrive
>>
>>53423184
I have those panties.
>>
Internal HDD. How huge are we talking about?
>>
Hadoop cluster
>>
>>53423178
Punch cards and a large rented warehouse.
>>
Do you store it with a lossless format?
>>
>>53424471
What's the point of lossless? Takes up more space yet I can't hear a difference in quality.
>>
>>53423178
Get a Spotify account
>>
>>53423178
3D is pig disgusting, notified the board's authorities.
>>
>>53424401
Maybe 100 gigs
>>
My music library is 860GB (81k songs). It's mainly stored on two internal drives, which I would strongly recommend. If you're on a laptop, then an external drive is the way to go. For (local) playback, I mainly use fb2k, which is god-tier: excellent search, great playlist management, always responsive, and easy on the eyes. Obviously this is too big to fit on my phone, so I just point Plex to the various root directories and it sorts everything else out (parsing metadata, downloading album covers, playlists, search, and finally actually streaming). It does an adequate job. Searching could be better (if you search for "jimi hendrix foxy lady" it won't return anything, but searching only for "jimi hendrix" or "foxy lady" returns the desired results), as well as playlist management (large playlists are tedious to go through). There isn't much of a connection between the two in terms of playlists, which is a shame, but I live with it. The ease of Plex far outweighs its downsides, and it can be supplemented with Python.

In the future, I'd like to move to a dedicated machine (read: server) with stupid amounts of storage which would also host and stream movies and TV.
>>
>>53425272
dedicated machine: ipod classic
>>
>>53423178
On drives.
>>
File: library.png (924 KB, 1901x6715) Image search: [Google]
library.png
924 KB, 1901x6715
I have all this on my laptop's HDD backed up to an external. I'm getting a desktop soon though. I use foobar2000 for daily playback, its file operations is a godsend.
>>
>>53425301
Nah. I have an iPod from 2007 that can still hold a charge, but I'll never go back after using Plex.
-iPod is hard-limited to 160GB, which means I have to pick and choose music to put on it. Plex lets me access my entire library and storage is only limited by how many drives I have. Additionally I would have to micromanage the iPod when I got new music and it was already full.
-Actually choosing music to play is tedious on an iPod. I either have to scroll like hell through a long-ass artist list/album list/playlist, or torture myself with using the retarded search. I'm usually listening to music while driving and simply picking what song to play through an iPod (classic) can be downright annoying, at least compared to Plex: I just type in what I want and it's right there.
-Carrying an iPod in addition to a phone doesn't make sense to me. My phone can not only stream through Plex, but also play whatever's on Youtube, for example, or the Bandcamp app. The iPod (classic, specifically) is limited to the music that's already on it.
>>
>>53425272
>plex
>not using far superior subsonic

Also

>internal drives on my main
>not dedicated file server running freenas with 4x4tb drives in zfs

Its like you want all your 128kbps kazaa mp3s to be lost when you sneeze too hard.
>>
>>53425481
How is subsonic better than plex?
>>
>>53425238
Really? The way you worded it I was expecting at least 1 TB. Just get an internal HDD with 1 TB+ and you'll be good. If you have a laptop go external. Do not invest in a server to store 100GB of music.

>>53425495
Not him but I didn't like Plex's music playback on mobile personally. I forget why as it was a while ago when I was using it but it just didn't do it for me.
>>
>>53425351
WMP is better than foobar2000, I only use foobar when I only have a song in flac.
>>
>>53425544

WMP has no customizability and an ugly-as-sin UI, though.
>>
>>53423178
A Homeserver with FreeBSD and ZFS drives. Install mpd with jack/pulsaudio libs and stream the music to your local device and speakers.
>>
>>53425581
and foobar isn't ugly? All i have to do to see my albums and artists to click on albums and artists. Unless there are some addons for foobar I don't know about, then foobar is just a less efficient to use.
>>
File: fob.png (464 KB, 1919x1055) Image search: [Google]
fob.png
464 KB, 1919x1055
>>53425628

Foobar is whatcha make of it, like most other software. There are a lot of downloadable components for anything. Compare this to a vanilla install of foobar, they're not remotely similar.

Also, built-in scrobbling component > having to run an external application
>>
time capsule :^)
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.