[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Using Arch at the moment, can't be bothered with the upkeep.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5
Using Arch at the moment, can't be bothered with the upkeep. Don't have the time or patience, need something that just works.

Fedora or Manjaro?
>>
>>53416408
Fedora
>>
>>53416408
Tumbleweed
>>
Manjaro is shit
>>
>>53416408
Buy a Mac
>>
>>53416408
fedora.
>>
Either Ubuntu or Fedora.
Aka the only two desktop distros that matter anyways
>>
>>53416422

Why do you prefer it?

>>53416433
>OpenSUSE
Definitely not, can't stand it

>>53416443
Why?

>>53416465
Kill yourself
>>
>>53416492
it's unfinished
>>
File: Logo-history-revision.jpg (23 KB, 801x601) Image search: [Google]
Logo-history-revision.jpg
23 KB, 801x601
Fedora 23. Best distro for GNOME3 if you're into that, and the other de spins are good too. Great combo of stable/up-to-date imo.
>>
>>53416465
this or ubuntu
>>
My desktop on Fedora
>>
>>53416506

I tried Gnome3 in Debian, I just can't get to grips with it and I really want to.I just can't deal with the way I'm forced to switch windows. I need a taskbar.

I know it's meant to be "immersive" or whatever, but I feel it's just impractical
>>
>>53416492
not a macfag, but if you only care about
>something that just works
you should consider buying a mac
>>
>>53416540
You mean like this?
>>
>>53416536
this looks like it's designed for touch, not pc
>>
>>53416574

Yes. Yes exactly like that. Is that fallback mode?
>>
>>53416573

I mean something that just works in comparision to Arch, which is a lot I suppose. Ubuntu is too basic, Debian I liked but ditched because Arch, Mint is shit, OpenSUSE - shit.

I could never use a Mac, I'd never even entertain the idea.
>>
>>53416536
>>53416540
>>53416574
I run GNOME3 with top left hotcorner off, in either Unity mode with the Dash-to-Dock extension, or in a more traditional style seen in the bottom screen, with Taskbar extension up top and Window List on bottom.

Because of easy access to all apps and customizations, minimal menus and clutter, and high quality/ease of apps like Nautilus and Boxes, I believe Gnome3 is the best DE. And Fedora has the best native implementation of Gnome3. Try it out.
>>
>>53416629
How exactly does Arch "not work"? What is your use case that you consider Ubuntu too basic?
>>
>>53416593
No it's not fallback mode, it's not even classic mode, it's just standard Gnome with extensions downloaded from extensions.gnome.org and managed through Gnome Tweak Tool.

GTK theme is Arc-Dark, icons are Vivacious Colors Dark Purple, in case that interests anyone.
>>
>>53416408
What do you mean by upkeep? There is no upkeep with arch. Everything just werks.

Unless you mean you're too lazy to read the wiki if a problem arises, then you should just install windows 10
>>
>>53416681

Thanks for the advice, I'll check it out

>>53416691
I find myself configuring more stuff in arch than I have time for, don't get me wrong it's a great distro but I just simply can't be bothered. I find myself at work SSHd into it, changing things so other things will work. I fucking love yaourt though.

Ubuntu was my first jump from Windows, I wanted to learn more about linux. I think that now after using quite a few distros (and mainly because I installed arch from scratch) I have a better understanding of it.

>>53416733
No I've been using it for quite a while now. Just seems to be far to many steps involved to do the simplest of things. Case in point, today tried to install teamviewer, thing just will not work. Can't be bothered with the aggro.
>>
>>53416715
>need a shitton of extensions to make your DE usable, eating even more memory in the process
Just like my firefox!
>>
>>53416408
Arch doesn't require any more upkeep than others.
Original memeing, tho. Keep up the good work.
>>
>>53416780
Installing Arch from scratch hardly gives you more understanding of Linux. You don't even get to configure the kernel by default. It's good for practicing how to copy lines from a wiki, though
>>
>>53416408
What upkeep? I haven't had to fix anything in months
>>
>>53416780
Just install antergos or use architect.
>>
>>53416780
Also look at the Fedora Spins. Those are the alternative Fedora distributions without the GNOME 3 cancer
>>
>>53416408
was in the exact same boat

manjaro is good

it was shit 3 years ago when I tried it for the first time, really shit

now it's really good
>>
>>53416780

Adding to this, I think that I've fucked about so much with Arch that I no longer have a clue what I've done. Defeats installing Arch in the first place. I could just start agin fresh with Arch, but again, aggro.

>>53416818
It gave me more of an understanding than Ubuntu did. And I actually read the wiki, to understand what I was doing, not just copy paste.

>>53416826
That's also an option I suppose
>>
>>53416780
If you opt to try Fedora, look up the "copr" repos, they are analogous to the AUR of Fedora. And if you don't want to spend the time to enable non-free RPMFusion repos and flash/chrome etc., try Korora 23, it's just Fedora23 with nonfree codecs and some theming.

>>53416783
Gnome Shell is currently using 127mb of ram. I have 6gb, that amount is negligible. The features and ease of use of gnome 3 are matched by none, I've customized all DEs and this is the one that I always come back to.
>>
>>53416856
It's not much more understanding than using the GUI tools of any other distro's installer. I suppose it teaches you how to install Xorg.

>>53416826
>"guys I'm moving away from Arch, what distro should I get?"
>"try Arch with an installer"
>>
What are you even talking about op

I haven't had any issues whatsoever with arch

Learn2linux
>>
>>53416408
If you don't want an OS that is too basic, maybe you could try FreeBSD.

It requires some initial work, but the ports/pkg system is quite amazing. Things fit together nicely with little risk of breaking.

Also I find the package security audit command quite handy. I only update packages with security vulnerabilities to further minimize the risk of breaking stuff.
>>
>>53416912
That's not really correct though is it. Granted it's not Gentoo, but before installing Arch and being forced to read the wiki to do pretty much everything (and learning both why and what I've done), as opposed to copy-pasting lines from the Ubuntu forums that have no context.

>>53416957
I'm not saying I have issues. Are your parents siblings? I'm saying I can't be botherd with it. I have a life outside of my PC.
>>
>>53416998
I literally set it up once and all I do now is update the packages every few days or so

Stop being so retarded
>>
>>53416408
Could also use some advice, I'm looking for the best distro to use for programming, any suggestions?
>inb4 ubuntu faggots

unrelated : is it still safe to use LM? I had to change my password on every website i use because they got fucking hacked.
>>
>>53417025

As I've said, I've fucked about with it so much I've probably broken shit I didn't even know about, and shit's all over the place. So yeah, it's me who's made the work for myself, but regardless, I can't be fucked now.

I may just do a fresh install of Arch, start again. But currently I'm just eyeing up Fedora.
>>
>>53416408
debian. all the good things ubuntu has but none botnets
>>
>>53416408
>can't be bothered with the upkeep
What upkeep? Typing in sudo pacman -Syu every once in a while?
Maybe OSX is more your speed
>>
>>53416506
Yeah with font rendering worse than fucking windows somehow
>>
>>53417033
>Could also use some advice, I'm looking for the best distro to use for programming, any suggestions?

any.
>>
>>53417819

subpixel rendering is not free so does not ship with fedora, you'll need to get it with the rpmfusion repo.
>>
>Ubuntu too basic
Apparently, you haven't gotten the memo that pretty much all distros are the same under the hood. The only real difference is package managers, repo sources and default WM/DE.
This is why I quit distro-hopping years ago.
>>
>>53416408
>upkeep
What..? So you're not running Arch, are you? Or do you really consider running pacman -Syu once a week to be "upkeep".
If so, maybe try Win10 where you don't even have a say with updates anymore.
>>
>>53417917
I know
And even then it's shit
Infinality is the best way to get good fonts and it's annoying as fuck to install it on Fedora
>>
File: girl_fedora.jpg (562 KB, 1024x762) Image search: [Google]
girl_fedora.jpg
562 KB, 1024x762
>>53418008
Here was my go to wallpaper when I last ran Fedora.
>>
>>53416573
You should consider suicide.
>>
>>53416408
once you go arch you never go back

Every other distro feels like 2010
>>
I have Fedora myself running the KDE environment. Can recommend. It just werks
>>
upkeep? I've been running Arch for 8 months on 3 desktops and 3 laptops and the only upkeep I've had to do is run pacman -Syu once in a while. Literally nothing has broken except slogin is apparently no longer an alias for ssh by default and I'm too fucking lazy to add it as a personal alias.
>>
>>53416408
How is Arch hard to upkeep, you run pacman -Syu and the shits up to date..
>>
>>53416408
I'm using Manjaro and I love it. Fedora is a good choice too, I just prefer Manjaro XFCE.
>>
>>53419659
How much RAM does it use on cold boot?
>>
>>53416573
>paying 5000$ for a machine that _just_ works
>>
>>53416492
>Why?

Because muh memes.

It's not a bad distro. I prefer it to Mint. If you don't want/need non-free shit though Fedora is superior.
>>
> can't be bothered with the upkeep. Don't have the time or patience
What? Have you never used Arch before? It's the same as Debian. Just update every now and then. That's it. Nothing hard.

Architect if you want Arch but are lazy. Don't touch Manjaro no matter what. Fedora isn't Arch.
>>
Fedora Xfce, run Fedy, click fix font rendering and codecs
>>
Fedora + i3wm
>>
One of my favourite parts about Arch is it has all these side show attractions in which they claim to offer various shortcuts to wasting your time, yet at the same time it exists in a quantum state where they are still insisting you need to waste your time without them. This is heavily indicative that it's not a distro but a CS dropout psuedo intellectual penis waving contest to ride the ironic boat and try to see who is the biggest loser and brag about it.

>oh just use this script (that should have come with the distro in the first place)
vs
>pfff u godda install it all by cli or gtfo scrub

>just use this other distro that is arch based but easier
vs
>pfff this aint true arch and ur a scrub

>NOT having your own personal install script that you won't give to anyone because you're a fucking turd burger
that you have to have fucking made because you needed it so badly due to having to reinstall from the breakage right? there's even a snarky little cop out for that too,
>it only takes 15 minutes of work to reinstall!

If you have a job, this all should appear as massive red flags to you that it's mentally stuck in the 15 year old's unemployed hippie mindset of "well I will always be there to solve problems as I'm a computer warrior". Yeah sorry this is not going to work out for any business past 10 people. When you have too much time on your hands you really do start to freak out and if you can't get a job then you turn to garbage like this.

Hilariously, your unwillingness to keep feeding the timesink is shared by some arch turds yet they stick with it to impress other internet losers, and then you actually see them not update anymore and become older than debian due to their energy running out but wanting to fit in to the secret club so hard. That shit is fucking hilarious to watch.

What I'm saying is, go with fedora. SILVER FOXES FOR SALE ONLY $832 EACH OR TRADE FOR 12 PS2S FUCK HIPSTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.