[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
EssentialPIM vs Evernote vs gCalendar
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: epim_vs_evernote_vs_gCalendar.png (38 KB, 507x170) Image search: [Google]
epim_vs_evernote_vs_gCalendar.png
38 KB, 507x170
I have a hard nut to crack, need to choose one of those.
All of the above have their pros and cons, i like EPIM the most but Evernote has better functionality on Android deivces.
Also what throws me off is the fact that Evernote and especially gCalendar are botnet. However there hasn't been any personal info leaks from both, but still.
What's your opinion?
>>
>>53411049
>>>/wsr/

or >>>/g/SQT/
>>
>>53412443
Thanks, didn't work, so bump.
>>
>>53411049
Those are three completely different services.
As long as you're not stating your use case I really don't see what we're comparing here
>>
>>53414518
>three completely different services
I wouldn't say so.

EPIM - Calendar, ToDos, Notes, Contacts, Email
Evernote - Notes, ToDos, not calendar but can emulate one a bit, for email i need a separate service
Google - Calendar, Notes, Contacts, Email

Use case: everyday errands and noting my thoughts and todos.
Soo each of those would work to some extent.
If i'd want to conslidate everything i'd just ue EPIM or Google + Evernote for visual notes (it's very handy for that purpose)
So in the end it's EPIM vs Google.
One is very easy not bloated and runs fast but requires manual synchronisation or paid cloud. The other one is botnet and a bit bloated sometimes.
>>
>>53414634
desu at some point I gave in to the botnet and created a google account for calendar, todos and notes.

I must say its quite comfy, syncs with everything and all my 'important' appointments and todos are streams from company/university anyway.

Also I don't really see how its bloated, there are lightweight apps that use your google/system todo list and calendar.
>>
>>53414771
>at some point I gave in to the botnet
it just doesn't feel right, sharing everything with the botnet.
But many companies i know, use google services with success and no problems.
>>
At this point i'm slowly starting to think that it woul be good to make my own PIM, the only barrier is i don't have any background in Android dev. browser solution or linux/windows stand alone app isn't a problem, but android widget is.
>>
>>53414496
i've been using etar (android) and its been nice, it syncs everything from my google accounts so it stays updated with my other devices.
>>
>>53415418
I'm working on something like it, off and on for months.
RESTful api and all that so that I can easily make an app from existing libs for platforms when I feel like it.

But then still, I leave CALdav to the pros because I realised calendaring is a hunderdfold more complex than I expected...
>>
>>53416498
>I'm working on something like it, off and on for months.
Got any public shithug or similiar repo?

>I leave CALdav to the pros because I realised calendaring is a hunderdfold more complex than I expected
Mind to elaborate?
>>
>>53417384
>Mind to elaborate?
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4791#section-3.1

There's like a 100 things apps may request and you need to handle them because you don't know what proprietary app X on platform Y's behaviour will be if you don't.

Plus its XML and far from trivial to make your own adapter/database model for appointments, especially without over-bloating it by implementing all the weird shit they're specifying...

>Got any public shithug or similiar repo?
Nah it's far from perfect and a lot of stuff only lives on paper yet.
Only thing that really works is todos (tags, teams,...), but I've had few hard weeks in uni so there's not much to show atm
>>
>>53417975
>CalDAV
Hmm so maybe use some nice ready made server (RADICAL maybe?) as an interface to your application?
>>
>>53418055
Yep so that's what im considering, theres baikal (which is great) and radicale (which is pretty cool for being native python, but not as extensive as baikal).

Radicales code is really clean and structured imo, best starting point as they made storage/calendar items/everything modular. Maybe I'll look into it more soon, but first focusing on todo/note/KB/notifications, it's just more fun to do
>>
>>53411049

why not outlook like a real professional?
>>
>>53420933
>>>/pol/ is this way
>>
>>53421068
you'll use google but not microsoft?
>>
Emacs Org Mode is all you need desu senpai
>>
>>53421068
What the fuck does /pol/ have to do with anything? Fucking imposter.

>>53420933
Thanks, I will
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.