[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Windows user land + NT kernel Windows >Android user land
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: 135_wage_slave_013.gif (44 KB, 600x427) Image search: [Google]
135_wage_slave_013.gif
44 KB, 600x427
>Windows user land + NT kernel
Windows

>Android user land + Linux kernel
Android

>GNU user land + Linux kernel
GNU

Why don't you call it GNU?
>>
>>53410305
The Android user land is called bionic though
>>
Because GNU is a really fucking stupid name.
>>
>>53410417
Not as stupid as "Windows" or "OS X"
>>
>>53410445
>Windows
Not really relevant but it sticks with you

>OS X
Operating system 10, simple and to the point. most people don't get this but it sticks with you

>GNU
>recursive acronym
>acronym states the obvious
>irrelevant
>literally pronounced guhnoo
>>
>>53410497
>Not really relevant but it sticks with you
It's the most bland name ever. They named it windows because the OS has windows in it. I'm really surprised they didn't rename win 8 to "Tiles"

>Operating system 10, simple and to the point. most people don't get this but it sticks with you
It's still a shit name. You don't go out buying "Toyota Car 2016"

>GNU
Named after an animal but with a twist and with different pronunciation to prevent confusion. I don't see what the problem here is.
>>
>>53410542
>"Toyota Car 2016"
I'm sure if they named it TC 2016 people would buy it.

>I don't see what the problem here is.
>recursive acronym
>irrelevant
>>
>>53410409
It's not, bionic is only a part of the user land, just like glibc is part of GNU
>>
>>53410558
>I'm sure if they named it TC 2016 people would buy it.
this tbqh
>>
>>53410558
>recursive acronym
Okay, what is wrong with any of that?

>irrelevant
So it's relevant by stating the obvious but is also irrelevant? I don't get what you're trying to say.
>>
>>53410593
>What operating system do you use, anon?

>I use Windows
>I use OSX
>I use BSD
>I use GuhNoo

>G'noo? That sounds funny anon, what does GNU mean?
>Guhnoo's not UNIX...
>>
>>53410680
>>53410558
Recursive acronyms are funny
More things and companies should use them.
>>
Because out of all the Linux based operating systems I discuss Linux is consistently in all of them, GNU is not.
>>
>>53410305
Because people are retarded and now that it's established, it's to hard to go back and do it right.
GNU/Linux was a mistake. RMS should not have given so much creds to a kernel, by changing the name just because it's getting bundled with the GNU operating system.
>>
>>53410305
M U H G A N O O S

U

H

G

A

N

O

O

S
>>
>>53411431
He also messed up by offering crummy names. Like other people said, GNU is not a good name, and it doesn't combine with any other names well either. They should have canned both "GNU" and "Linux" and made something for the combination of the two.
>>
>>53412026
>GNU is not a good name
Why not?
>>
>>53412321
It's an acronym, not as easy to remember or sound out as a real or even made up word. The official pronunciation is "guh noo" which doesn't match the gnu animal which is their logo. If it was pronounced like the animal, "gnu" would sound like "new" so there'd be confusion there as well. And backronyms are only amusing to computer people, anybody else it's just extra shit to explain.

This anon said
>>53410542
>Named after an animal but with a twist and with different pronunciation to prevent confusion
but the pronunciation and meaning of the acronym only ADD to the confusion.

Any of the distros named after real words, words from other languages, or even made up words, are easier to spell and remember. Mint and Arch are top-tier names IMO.
>>
>>53411708
AESTHETICS

E

S

T

H

E

T

I

C

S
>>
Year of the GNU/Android desktop WHEN?
>>
>>53411708
>>53412497
/^. *(.) *(.).*\n+\1\n+\2/im;stub:no

isn't regex amazing?
>>
Linux is simply a better name.
>>
>>53412517
Busybox/Linux
>>
Linux tb.h
when it switches to clang/LLVM (since GPLv3+ gcc is shit tier for business), it will be even more based
>>
>>53412721
>it
What or who will switch?
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.