[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PSU General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
File: xfx_850w_psu_b.jpg (20 KB, 425x324) Image search: [Google]
xfx_850w_psu_b.jpg
20 KB, 425x324
All I know about PSUs is that FSP, BeQuiet! and SuperFlower are the great brands but are there others? Is the XFX a reliable brand? The other one I found that I could use is a Corsair one but due to it's massive marketing and linus tech shills I'm afraid its just shit with good marketing.
>>
>>53407015

90% of PSUs are made by a handful of different factories. Some of the OEMs have their own brands (SeaSonic, Enermax, FSP, HEC). Some groups design the bits they want and have an OEM put it together for them (Be Quiet!, Silverstone, Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Tagan). And some don't do dick by put their name of something an OEM shit out. Mostly the cheap stuff is the last category.

Honestly, most FSP assembled/produced designs are pretty good these days. Just look into the OEM of the PSU.
>>
Recom is best
>>
File: char-recoome.gif (20 KB, 220x225) Image search: [Google]
char-recoome.gif
20 KB, 220x225
>>53407289
>>
seasonic bitch
>>
File: 1454877082983.jpg (113 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1454877082983.jpg
113 KB, 800x800
>>53407015
>>53407114
How is silverstone? I'm thinking of buying something from them to replace the cheap shit I bought from best buy a couple years ago that's dying on me now.
>>
>>53407834
how is it dying on you
it either works or it doesn't

when they fail suddenly usually they fry your mainboard in the process
>>
>>53407851
I don't know if it's the motherboard or the power supply (I posted this in the sqt thread) but every so often after turning off my pc it won't turn back on unless I open up the case and fiddle around with the connections. I'm just assuming it's because the power supply is cheap.
>>
>>53407834
Can't go wrong with SeaSonic or FSP.
>>
>>53407015
>Is the XFX a reliable brand?
All of XFX's units these days are rebranded Seasonics, so are top tier.

>Corsair
Their high end stuff is as good as anything out there. Their mid-range and low end stuff is mediocre and you can usually get something better for the same money.
>>
>>53407998
the 2 i checked was Corsair CX850M and XFX PRO 850W
>>
>>53407834
Silverstone is good but you can always find something that's as good for cheaper or better for the same price. The units are a bit smaller than others for the equivalent wattage, and if you want an SFX PSU that's worth a damn, they're your only option.
>>
Sea sonic consistently make excellent psu. Other brands like corsair slap their logo on a sea sonic and add couple of hundred watts to the rating and jack up the price
>>
I have a question for you /g/eeks. I have an old PSU laying around: "Thermaltake Toughpower tt 1500w"

I was wondering if it'd work with today's hardware? Or have the connectors changed?
>>
>>53410277
Reviving thread.
>God tier
Delta Electronics (Usually only found in servers and OEM systems)
>Top tier
FSP, Seasonic(and subsidiaries e.g XFX)
>Good Tier
Superflower, HEC(BeQuiet), ATNG(Fractal, cooler master) Silverstone
>OK tier
CWT(Thermaltake and cheap corsairs) Great Wall (TT and corsair again)
>Shit tier
Cheiftec, Bestec, or any of those shitboxes

Do note that some companies like Corsair and Rosewill source their PSU's from different platforms so go find a review of the PSU you want to buy to be sure.

>>53410277
The ATX power standard hasn't changed in ~10 years. Shouldn't be a problem.
>>
>>53410277
You might need some molex adapters if you buy new high end gpu. But the cards should come with the leads if not they're cheap anyway
>>
Anyone use the EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W, would you recommend it?

>>53407834
i want a cute anime edition psu
>>
>>53409282
The CX series is Corsair's cheap garbage. The XFX unit is a rebranded Seasonic X-Series.

>>53410552
>Good Tier
>Superflower
Nah senpai. Super Flower are every bit as good as Seasonic and better than FSP. Generally priced better too, or at least EVGA's Super Flower OEM units are.

>>53410643
>EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W
It's a rebranded Seasonic unit. All of EVGA's GS/PS units are Seasonic, whilst their G2/P2/T2 units are Super Flower. The rest are inferior OEMs.
>>
>>53407015
Don't cheap out on a PSU
get something gold/platinum rated if you don't want it to explode
>>
>>53410733
>get something gold/platinum rated if you don't want it to explode
It's not nice to tell lies anon. Anything bronze or better is fine unless you buy a shit brand.
>>
>>53407015
>general
>>>/vg/
>>>/b/
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>53410733
>muh ratings
Bronze units from quality OEMs like Seasonic shit all over most gold units from inferior OEMs. Efficiency is a fairly meaningless metric for most people. The cheap chink caps in your ebin gold-rated piece of shit RM series unit from Corsair are still going to go pop long before the Nippon Chemi-Con ones found in a bronze Seasonic.
>>
>>53410643
Mine died after two years, got it replaced but I had to pay about 50 bucks for shipping because I didn't register my product within 30 days or some shit. If you decide to get one, register it.
>>
>>53410277 (Me)
>>53410552
>>53410618

Cheers
>>
Corsair HX units 600W or less are good. Corsair AX unis are all good. Seasonic is good, and XFX is rebranded seasonic units. The same is true with most Antec units, slightly worse caps than the seasonics and XFX but still good (rated for lower temps compared to the seasonic and xfx, the antec would generaly break sooner. That may never be the case in a units lifetime though.)
>>
File: psu_top_close.jpg (199 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
psu_top_close.jpg
199 KB, 1024x768
I bought this reliable Antec PSU two years ago for about 60€ and I didnt't give it too much use to it and I was wondering if it's a good idea to try and sell it, also is 30-40€ a good price?

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Antec/VP550F/
>>
PSUs I inherently trust:
- FSP
- EVGA
- Superflower
- XFX
- SeaSonic
- Antec
- BeQuiet!
- BFG
- BitFenix
- Corsair
- Enermax
- Fractal Design
- NZXT
- OCZ
- Silverstone
- Zalman

PSUs bretty gud:
- Cooler Master
- Cougar
- Deepcool
- HEC
- Inwin
- LEPA
- Raidmax
- Rosewill (some of their high end units are really nice actually)
- Ultra
- Xigmatek
-Thermaltake
-StarTech

(with these units, you would not normally overclock, overvolt, expose to high heat/dust, leave running for extended periods of time, devote to mission-critical systems, expect good efficiency from, or attempt to run at anywhere near their maximum wattage)

PSUs I will normally not use:
- Xion
- Topower
- Sparkle
- Logisys
- Linkworld
- Kingwin
- FirePower
- Diablotek
- Apevia
- Azza
- CoolMax
>>
>>53410552
I will concur that delta electronics is pretty good; I always smile when I'm dumpster diving and I see a delta PSU inside the case because I usually don't have to test that subsystem. That said, I've seen a few break. They're probably not as good as some of the high-end enthusiast PSUs, man.
>>
A fairly good reference list for PSUs.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html
>>
Everyone always talks shit about Corsair but I've used Corsair for god knows how long in different computers and I have never had a problem.

Most of this 'shitty PSU' talk is based on the opinionated complaints people post on tom's hardware or some stupid site like that. The whole mixed reputation of Corsair is based on like 10 negative forum posts which people suck up without questioning them even a little bit.

Fuck that. Even reviews for the most part are shit because the results are so subjective and biased. Can't trust nobody but personal experience.
>>
How important are the 80+ ratings?
>>
>>53413632
This is pretty much true.

Before I got infuriated with the unobjective, childish forums of PCPP, I used to have to explain repeatedly why the various PSU tier lists on tom's hardware were pretty bad ways to go about buying PSUs, but it's difficult to do when people don't understand the difference between qualitative and quantitative reasoning because primary schooling failed them.

The TL;DR of my position on those tier lists is as follows:

- the tiers don't take into account the different uses of PSUs
- the tiers are created qualitatively and not quantitatively
- claims to have amalgamated and averaged the scores of various review sites should be considered dubious at best and more likely deliberately misleading
- tier lists ignore the constantly changing relationship between reseller and OEM
- tier lists ignore that value can easily change even within a model series and that brand loyalty is a poor substitute for quantitative review.
>>
>>53413676
They are a very rough metric of PSU quality, with plenty of exceptions in both directions.

80+ ratings indicate efficiency at conversion, so higher-rated PSUs will use less electricity and get less hot on average.
>>
>>53413676

Here's a sum up of what I think

80+ white
>garbage, usually what you buy for your mother's old desktop when the original PSU conked out

80+ bronze
>the one you buy if you're on a budget but you understand not to totally cheap out on the PSU

80+ gold
>same as bronze but people on the internet won't give you shit for your PSU

80+ platinum
>overkill, the same people who buy a GTX970 over an R9 390 buy these thinking they actually need it
>90% of rigs running a HX/AX-series corsair is only mildly overclocked

80+ titanium
>usually priced so high above platinum that even the richest of parents start to question their son about the necessity
>has its uses in professional use only, a home user won't really gain anything with this

What not to buy: 80+ white
What to buy: 80+ bronze and gold
What is a meme: 80+ platinum
What you totally don't need: 80+ titanium

Efficiency isn't really a selling point, you don't really see a difference in your power bill no matter what PSU you have. It will not get hot enough to matter.
>>
>>53410765
>autism
>>
>>53413797
What a shit guide

goes from "Eh" To "Overkill"
>>
I have an EVGA P2 650W in one machine and a Corsair HX750i in the other. I hate the cables on the EVGA P2 but otherwise both have done well.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.