[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>ultra-low power usage >extremely bright >fairly low
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: 2016-03-09-07-30-31.png (327 KB, 1079x1919) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-09-07-30-31.png
327 KB, 1079x1919
>ultra-low power usage
>extremely bright
>fairly low cost
>pretty much comes in every color

Explain why we don't use these things in every single lighting system in the modern day.
>>
Good point.

LED light bulbs are crazy expensive though.
I don't know why.
>>
High upfront cost. Efficient, long lasting solutions are rare. Most cheaper bulbs are no better than CFLs. And finally fear/ignorance of new stuff.
>hankhill-do-I-look-like-i-know-what-a-LED-is?.led
>>
Ive asked myself that very same question OP
I think its becouse the light feels a bit uncomfortable, probably just becouse people arent used to it
A regular lightbult emits a diffused spectrum of wavelengths that give a cozy feel
A room lit with fx a panel of white LED's gives kinda focused monochromatic cold light
At least in the case of the cheap cheap cheap single-led diodes that are a few bucks for 100pcs

They do have a ton of applications, just not as good for lighting up rooms
>>
>>53393618
T5 Fluorescents better and cheaper than leds because tubes don't require thermal management.
>>
Because the actual light is horrible
>>
>>53394010
>I think its becouse the light feels a bit uncomfortable, probably just becouse people arent used to it
>A regular lightbult emits a diffused spectrum of wavelengths that give a cozy feel
>A room lit with fx a panel of white LED's gives kinda focused monochromatic cold light

I like to think that people had the same complaints when they moved from "warm yellow" gas lighting to "harsh, bright" electric lighting. Plus ça change
>>
>>53394010
>>53394088
Valid points. LED gives off a commercial building vibe with the white light.
>>
>>53394169
You can use any phosphors in leds, cheap phosphor = shit cri
>>
>>53393618
High upfront cost, shitty color quality.
>>
Not an expert on LED bulbs but don't they run kinda hot?
>>
>>53394193
You get what you pay for
http://www.yujiintl.com/high-cri-led-lighting
>>
>>53394207
High CRI LEDs tend to be prohibitively expensive.
Also CRI is a meme and should be replaced by a real metric.
>>
>>53394199
Relative to regular bulbs? No but they do get warm
>>
>>53393618
I am using LEDs wherever possible. Those things are great, provided you plan for them. The biggest problem with LEDs right now is that while they have a great power-to-luminosity ratio, they don't scale all that well if you want to replace a light bulb brighter than 50W (~500-600 lm).
>>
LEDs can't compete with T5s because lol thermals, and they age into this uneven, rancid mess of worn-phosphor bluish horror once you get past a few thousand hours.

T5s just slowly go dim and die.
>>
>>53393618
LEDs have a relatively low color rendering index unless you pay a great deal
>>
File: traffic-light-d3.jpg (113 KB, 1417x1519) Image search: [Google]
traffic-light-d3.jpg
113 KB, 1417x1519
>>53393618
But we do, try not to live on a third world country next time.
>>
>>53393618
um, we do

Im living in poland, country where everything is introduced later than in "first world" europe, and everyone have led lightbulbs there.

But this guy >>53394010 may be right. Even warm LED "lightbulb" feels different than classic one. Not like it's painful or anything though, just different.

>>53393661
they cost, like, five dollars. Of course it's more expensive than one dollar incandescent one, but on the other hand leds are not breaking after a month of use.
>>
I have LED bulbs in every room of my flat.

The light quality is fine.
>I need cosy warm light
Stop being a baby.
>>
File: 1457118360582.png (11 KB, 364x299) Image search: [Google]
1457118360582.png
11 KB, 364x299
>>53394010
>A room lit with fx a panel of white LED's gives kinda focused monochromatic cold light
>white
>monochromatic
>>
>>53394199
LEDs produce far less heat to generate the same light output, BUT because LEDs are smaller, the heat is generated in a MUCH smaller space. So, it's a much more important task to design the LED Lamp as a complete package which accounts for distributing heat away from the LEDs themselves.

t. optical designer for OSRAM
>>
>>53393618
I have ONE. I bought it for a floor lamp in my livingroom since I figured it'd get the most usage. It's a 100W equivalent in luminosity and a warm spectrum. So far I have no complaints except for the $15/bulb price tag.
>>
I've bought some E14 SMD and COB led at the chinese shit general online retailers.
I've bought from chinks just because the cheap stuff you find here is basically rebranded chink shit so, why pay the expenses.
They are nice, some comes with warm light and all but, my feelings is that the technology must go ahead still, both in refinement and industrialization (in other words, better products at lower prices).
Yeah LEDs are the future alright, but it's still too soon to replace everything there is for lightning.

Sure they are the best for low power and portable lightning.

Pic related the purchased type. I can tell that they are holding good tho, much better than the compact fluorescent lamps.
These were really shit meme lamps man.
>>
>>53394592
50 shades of gray bruh
>>
I have warm-white LED lightbulbs in my flat.
They're okay, I would say they're almost as good as traditional incandescent lamp, especially the warm ones.

Nonetheless a huge upgrade to those fluorescent bulbs. I fucking hated them. Cold, bleak, took hours of warm up to produce any light.
>>
>>53393618
Lighting potential pr unit. Ease of application. Those nought-point-one-fives are a pain.
>>
>>53394592
Compare wavelength spectrum graphs of a white LED and a light bulb, then come back and apologize for interpreting my comment 100% literally and contributing nothing but bad attitude to the thread
>>
>>53393618
Because pwm fuck up peoples lives, including mine.
>>
>>53394783
I have a few Chinese LED bulbs that flicker at 100 Hz (not PWM, they just fail at proper AC to DC conversion), but LED bulbs I got from IKEA are completely flicker-free.
>>
>>53393618
Driving LEDs from line voltage is hard. I got some new ceiling lights with the LEDs built in and they have no smoothing, so when you do a John Cena impersonation you can see where the LEDs are on and off. I might bust out my iron and try to fix them. I got a bunch of Ikea ones, but they really want airflow, and they've started to die off from their drivers cooking themselves. I've also gotten various brands of other ones, from Energetic to Phillips to milight.
The Cree 4flow ones are bretty cool, and DTE's subsidization gets them down to ~$5 a bulb where I live.
>>
I like fluorescent because of the ice cream cone shape and colour temp but I think I might actually like the the temp of pure white LED gives off much better mmmmmmmm I miss seeing pure white lighting it makes me happy.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.